Skyrim Unbound: Profit and Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lidell waited patiently for his new friend while she enjoyed the luxury of the bathhouse. It was clear that she was unaccustomed to such finery, and he was more than happy to allow such a sweet young woman to experience it. He decided not to wash himself, as he could return at any time, because he wanted to be sure that he would be waiting when his new friend returned. Instead, he reclined on a plush purple lounge chair and read a pleasant book about the history of the Summerset Isles.

When the halfling returned, for a short moment, Lidell did not recognize her. But then his mouth dropped open. Quickly regaining his composure, he beamed at her.

"You look simply beautiful, Lady Ryti," he commented kindly, bowing courteously. "Would you allow me to invite you to the Jarl's for dinner? You can be my guest. When does your employer want you to return?" he asked kindly, taking her hand and leading her out to the main street, which was not terribly busy during this time of day. Unless she stopped him, they would walk all the way to the Jarl's estate.

~*~*~

Meanwhile, a man named Stannis Corwell was being much less courteous and respectful to the inn patrons. He was clearly a wealthy man, even Evesa could see that. What she did not know was that he was a businessman who specialized in buying and selling enchanted jewelry. She also did not notice that there was a good reason that the Falkreath guard were ignoring him. If they jailed the man, he could singlehandedly bring down the entire town. It was around 6:30 pm on a Middas, but he had clearly had far too much mead, and Evesa was sure she smelled skooma on him as well. He stumbled around, speaking loudly, and occasionally grabbing inappropriate body parts on various women. Of course, Evesa was content to ignore him and work the stove, trying to avoid any unnecessary conflict. It had, after all, been such a peaceful day.

That was, right up until he came over to her. She was wrapping her newly cooked meats when she felt a body right behind her, far too close for comfort, and a hand on her buttocks.

"Remove your hand this instant or I will cut it off," the dark elf muttered, still casually wrapping her meat.

"How about you feed me some of this meat instead. Smells good, you'd make a good little mistress," the drunkard joked back, slurring his words and leaning in to kiss her neck.

'Time's up,' Evesa thought wryly. And in a single fluid motion, she unsheathed her ebony dagger, kneed the offender in the groin, and slashed him across the cheek. Before he could get up, she cast a sleeping spell, which was successful on the third attempt. 'Good, I've been needing to work on my Illusion anyway. With any luck, he won't wake up until morning. Next, she cast a Pariah spell on the sleeping man, and given that he had earned the ire of half the inn already, that was successful on the first try. The spell essentially caused any crimes against the patron to be ignored, even by the guards. It was as though no one would register what was happening to him. Then, she set to work and took his travel bag, and searched his pockets for gold purses. Three large ones were discovered. Next, she removed his expensive overcoat and stuffed it in the bag. Taking her loot, along with her freshly cooked and wrapped meat, the Dunmer strode to her room as if nothing had happened, with only slightest smirk crossing her lips.

Last edited:
Ryti blushed cutely, ducking her head lower as a curtain of hair separated her from her admirer. She was not used to the attention of others. Or, at least, she wasn't used to the kind of attention Lidell was giving her. She was familiar with the anger of shopkeepers and the noblefolk when they came across her, and the rude word and blows that would follow. Lidell left her floundering, and before she quite knew what was happening Lidell had taken her hand, holding it lightly but firmly, and had pulled her out of the bathhouse. For a moment she went unresistingly, used only to the fact that it was better not to resist when one was being dragged somewhere, before she planted her feet and slipped out of Lidell's hand.

Lidell immediately came to a halt. He reached out again, seeming almost tempted to grab her, before he hesitated and seemed to think better of it. "What's wrong?" he asked kindly.

Ryti didn't answer. All she did was shake her head, lower her eyes, and glance briefly towards the inn.

Lidell's face darkened slightly. "Don't tell me that Evesa won't even let you out for a meal. Because if that's so, I'm going to report her for slavery!"

"It's not that," Ryti was quick to reassure. Despite what Lidell clearly thought about Evesa, Ryti was traveling with her willingly. Not that anything Ryti did wasn't, ultimately, willingly. She had been arrested and deported to Skyrim willingly, even if it wasn't her favorite idea. "It's just that... I don't belong... there."

Lidell took a couple steps closer, and reached out finger, gently lifting Ryti's chin until she was looking him in the eye. Her black eyes were wide and afraid, but she didn't move from Lidell's touch.

"I know it doesn't seem like much at first glimpse," Lidell said calmly and smoothly, "and that there are people who would tell you otherwise, but there's no such thing as destiny in Skyrim. Everyone has the chance to make of themselves what they will. For those who find themselves here, it is a clean slate. If you don't believe me, just ask our Thane. Her father and grandfather were farmers in Falkreath, but she proved herself worthy and now she serves right under the Jarl.

"There are always going to be people who judge you, Ryti. The world is full of them. But their opinion means nothing. All that matters is what you decide to do." He reached up gently with his other hand, and pushed her hair back away from her face, tucking it behind her ear and smiling warmly. "Be proud of yourself.

"Now." He let her go, but for a moment Ryti's head stayed where he had placed it. But a moment later it bent forward again, and her hair swung out from behind her ear. "What do you say we go to that dinner."

Ryti nodded quietly. "I need to be back by 7:45."

"Good to know. That will give us time for some archery practice before then, as well."

Status
Not open for further replies.