Sincerely ((DawnsLight x Book Hoarding Dragon))

D

DawnsLight

Original poster
Coppery light fell through the tall windows of the gallery to illuminate the polished wood of the walls and make it appear to glow where it met the sections of heavy moss-green damask. Thick woolen carpet, richly dyed, muffled slippered footfalls so that the rustle of skirts in the silence would have been nearly deafening to the wearer had her mind not been so firmly occupied elsewhere. As it was, her attention was focused entirely on the small slip of paper held between the fingertips of both hands as if it were something precious or threatening, eyes moving yet again over the fine script upon it. A name and town, given to her by Sister Prudence at the end of today's lessons.

She was expecting a letter tomorrow, Ginevra knew. It wasn't as if she had never sent correspondence before; she was a young woman of the gentry and she had often received and sent letters to her family abroad after all. But this was a stranger, someone of whom she knew nothing except for this name and the town to which her missive would be sent. For some reason the idea of writing a letter to this stranger was intimidating and somewhat embarrassing. What was she to say?

The gallery was not so long as to keep her from her room and her writing desk forever. Ginevra sat resignedly. Following a moment's hesitation, she inked her quill pen and began to write:

Salutations,

Today I was told that you and I would begin exchanging letters as part of our preparation to become Noble Ladies of Character. I expect that you have been primed for this by your own governess otherwise such a letter from a complete stranger may come as quite the shock. I hope that my frankness does not embarrass, and I hope that despite such an awkward beginning we might foster an understanding of one another or even a true fondness over time.

Please forgive my penmanship; Sister Prudence, who is my governess, was ordering writing drills with an authority envied by many a platoon commander and has given me the task of writing you, kind stranger, when my had is near to useless now. Is your governess so rigid or is it my privilege alone to enjoy? Would you find me greedy if I were to hope for company in my suffering? Though I cannot say I wish such treatment on you gentle stranger! I am curious to know more of you and how your days are spent. As for me, I am the eldest of three children, both my juniors being boys and at turns either the sweetest of brothers or the most monstrous. If they are to be heirs to this family I mourn for our future if they remain so to maturity. (I exaggerate, but if you have siblings then I expect you can relate to this experience.)

Regretfully this is all my tired mind and useless hand can endure to manage for now. I hope this finds you well.

Sincerely,

Ginevra Hawthorne

A dusting of drying powder and a moment to carefully fold the page before the envelope was filled and carefully sealed. Done. And now she had a moment to rest and to nurse her aching hand before she was to join her family in the evening's meal.