Simply Survive

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
A redhead, just as he'd thought.

Caleb watched the girl with interest, his eyes studying her just as freely as she did him and without shame or embarrassment. She was the second human he'd met, but she seemed vastly different from Lauren and he found himself smiling as she flitted about, quick as a sprite and twice as lively. Her presence made him happy and he didn't even know why, but it also didn't matter. It just was and Caleb was okay with accepting that for now.

He'd grow more curious about it later, but for now he only felt content.

She is the fourth. The voice came quietly then, almost as if it were trying to avoid detection by something.

I know.

What else do you know?

Her name is Lily.

She told you that. the voice said, slightly impatient and Caleb nearly laughed out loud. Yes, but I already knew before she told me.

And? You know more. There was almost a prompt there, but Caleb's head was starting to hurt and he was already retreating from the mental conversation, not wanting the pain to spike again. I don't want to look. She can tell me.

Silence came after and Caleb focused back on Lily, chuckling at her description of his brother as he sat, cross-legged and completely fine watching her dance about. He liked seeing joy in other people and the smile on her face looked like it could rival the sun. "I am called Caleb and the man with the magic is my brother, Jacob. He is very talented." He looked around then, smiling once more at the life around them and then looked back at Lily, tilting his head much like a canine might when confused.

"Did you follow us from the city? Or do you live near here?"

Lily calmed down and sat next to Caleb, still smiling at the sight and even more so now at his friendliness.

"Oh no, I live wherever the pretty things are! Right now I live in between two big rocks that have a little stream flowing through them. Its really pretty but this...this is much prettier. Oh! If Jacob is your brother and he can do magic, can you do it? Ive never met a magician before and my mommy said that if I do that I should stay with them because they are safe and will be my friend! Do you know my mommy? Her name is Jessica and she lived in NewHope...well, before the attack that is. Thats when my sister told me to leave so I could be safe and find a magician!"

Lily focused again and stared into Caleb's face and eyes, her smile growing wider at his smile.

"Would you like to come see the rocks? You can listen to the trickle of the water and the splashing against the rocks and its really peaceful."

You should be careful, sister. How do you know you can trust a man that you just met, let alone someone who has a brother who is so powerful of a magician?

"Thats easy! He has a nice smile! Thats why I can trust him." She looked at him, awaiting his answer.

She could rival him with her questions!

Caleb loved the fact already. She made him think and he liked to think, to study and learn. Jacob had always encouraged that in some ways and not in others, depending on his mood and the circumstances, but Lily, she was like him...even as she wasn't. Caleb liked the complexity of it and he smiled again, merely waiting until he could get a word in, listening without alarm when she started talking to herself.

Jacob did that all the time. It was pretty normal to him by this point.

When she focused back on him, he was already starting to stand and he reached down, taking Lily's hand and pulling her up to. He released her immediately afterward, already sensing that she wouldn't like being restrained. She was like a dragonfly, flitting from place to place, following the sparkles on the water and he didn't want to hinder that. It was beautiful.

"I would love to see the rocks." he answered and then started to follow her willingly - telling Swiftfang to stay - wherever she chose to lead him, answering her former questions as the walked and climbed the rocks. It never occurred to him that Jacob might have a cursing fit when he woke and discovered him gone. Again.

"I have some power, but I think Jacob has more. He says I am stronger than I think I am and I brought a Tracker back from near-death, but I don't know if I believe him. He used his power all the time. I don't know how to use mine." he confided easily, feeling to reservations about sharing information with the redhead. "I don't know you mom, but mine probably did. Her name is Summer and my father is Targas. Jacob and I are looking for them. Lauren is coming with us and you're supposed to come too."

His gray eyes met her own gaze, curious. "Will you come?"

Lily giggled as she was helped to her feet and skipped after him to the top of the rocks and smiled to him before jumping down and starting a skip-walk towards her camp.

"If you promise to show me pretty things, I would love to! Besides, my sister told me that I would find you anyways so I should regardless." She climbed over a rather large rock and stood on top of it, looking around and inhaling slowly, taking in the night air.

"You should listen to your brother, hes right. I can see it in your heart and smile! Oh! Maybe I have magic too! That would be cool. Wait, your mom and dad are Targas and Summer!? Thats so cool! They are like the coolest magicians I have ever met! My mommy talked with them all the time and my daddy would go out and hunt with Targas for fun, bringing home cool things too! Like there was this one time they brought back a black crystal that had red symbols on it and it would float above the ground a couple of inches. One day, Daddy left it on his desk and I heard it whispering to me. It told me that I should come look at it and pick it up. It seemed nice enough so I did! Oh wow was it cool. The red symbols on it appeared on my arms and legs, I remember being scared at the time but it told me that everything was ok and I believed her. Thats where my sister came from! She helps me when Im scared. Oh! Here we are!"

By the time she had finished talking, she had crested another large boulder and stood over a small ravine with a stream running through it. There were green and blue fungus growing in patches near the water and some mosses and lichens growing on the rocks in the clearing. She jumped down, not caring that it was a good twenty feet, and rolled onto her feet.

"Come on silly!"

--------------------------------------------

Jacob could feel himself being moved and then his brother leaving the cave to head outside. He knew his brother well enough to know that he was looking at the area he had revived and smiled to himself in his half-sleep state. He heard talking, one what sounded like a little girl, but she sounded older...it was hard to rationalize, and his brother. He felt happy and safe so he wasnt too worried about it and when he heard the girl ask if he would come to visit her camp and see the rocks, a sliver of worry crept into his mind...until he said that she was the fourth, which caused it to vanish. She could be trusted.

Be careful, Caleb...and have fun. He whispered to his brother and let a wave of happiness off to him as he was leaving and drifted off back to sleep.

How could you see power in a smile? Caleb wanted to ask but Lily was already speaking again...and the things she said piqued Caleb's interest, but it was a different kind of interesting than a childlike one. It was a state of mind he didn't take often, never having reason to and he watched the redhead with a studying gaze, looking suddenly his age or maybe a bit older. A black crystal with red symbols?

They hybrid knew well enough how hybrids had been made, about the vials and the things his parents had gone through. They'd told him and Jacob when they were old enough to understand, had warned them against Sticky technology. It was seductive and while not evil, it could cause great harm, especially in a body not prepared for what it was facing. That was why so many hybrids had died during the rituals.

Now Lily was telling him she'd come in contact with said technology and Caleb felt worry, a true worry settle inside him. And yet...he wasn't sure he should be worried at all. He was a hybrid and his parents were hybrids and they were fine. He and Jacob were fine. Maybe Lily was fine, too. He didn't know and when Jacob's words came into his mind, he smiled and decided his brother was right. He'd have fun with Lily before he had to sleep again and walk...so much walking...and he'd worry later.

Caleb focused back on the green-eyed beauty who was enticing him to join her and he laughed, doing just that, jumping down after her, but landing much more....clumsily. His feet hit the ground, lurched and the next thing Caleb knew...he was in the stream, blinking with surprise and then grinning as he scooped up some water and flung it at Lily. If he was going to be wet, she could be too!

Last edited:
Lily giggled and jumped into the stream after Caleb, splashing him back and giggling again. She sat in the water for a few minutes then got up, heading over to her bedroll and a small backpack sitting in a Red Racer wagon. She opened it up and pulled out a small, leatherbound notebook and looked at Caleb.

"Well dont just sit there silly, come here!"

She waited for him to come over, opening the notebook while she waited and smiled.

-------------------------

Jacob awoke with a start, hearing a low growl from the Tracker that was laying in the entrance of the cave. He got up and made his way to the opening and looking out over the horizon.

Where is it girl?

Up.

He looked up and saw a sphere hovering in the air, a faint orange energy pulsing from the seams. A Guardian probe, he shouldnt be surprised.

"Calm down girl, its just something from where I was raised. Im being careful, you know. My emotions have been acting up, true, but they were acting for all the right reasons. Look and you will see."

He opened up his mind to the probe and let it examine his memories for the truth. It acknowledged him and flew off to find his brother.

(I might not be responding for a bit. Large dust storm blowing through and power/net might go out. Will keep updated)

Silly.

He might grow to like that.

Caleb grinned at the thought and moved out of the stream, half-crawling over to Lily and sitting himself beside her, their arms brushing with small electric zaps that both seemed to ignore as they looked at the book. The hybrid didn't recognize the first few people even thought Lily told them they were hear parents and some other people he didn't know, but he instantly recognized the picture of his mother and father and Caleb reached out slowly, brushing his fingers over the images as if they might shatter if he was too rough.

Tears pricked at his eyes and he was almost startled by them, but didn't wipe them away when they trailed down his face.

He missed them.

The hybrid looked at Lily then, smiling in a small way, grateful. "Thank you for showing me this, little fire." he said quietly and then jerked his head up, sensing what his brother had before him; the probe. Caleb stood, frowning for a reason he didn't understand but he let the glowing orb come closer and he knew what it wanted. The hybrid hesitated, but it wasn't the first time he'd done so with the Guardians and probably nothing would be read into it. Finally, reluctantly, he opened his mind up to the alien technology and let it scan him, saying nothing.

He wished he'd run.

The orb flashed an ominous, sickish green color before it sped away and Caleb felt a whimper build in his throat. He knew what that meant - nothing good - and hybrid looked down at Lily, his gaze no longer happy or even sad but scared and dulled. "I need to go back to my brother." he said faintly before starting to do just that, unknowing if she'd follow right now or not, but needing to get to Jacob.

His brother would help. He had to.

Lily watched as the strange orb floated over and flashed green, flying away, and as Caleb got up and left to go back to his brother. She got up, putting her book back in her backpack and hastily rolling up her bed, running after him with both items.

"Hey! Wait up! Whats wrong? What was that thing? Why did it turn a gross green? Are you ok?" She was being persistent but she was curious. What she wasnt saying is why she was getting worried over it. She didnt like how he reacted to the thing in the sky, it scared her.

-------------------------------

Jacob knew instantly that the probe got a bad read on his brother, he could feel it through his link to him. Sighing, he walked over to Lauren and gently roused her from her sleep.

"Its time to get up...something bad might be coming."

Jacob was worried, something he didnt feel often, but he and his brother had been out of the care of the Guardians and he didnt know what to expect from the scans right now. He went back to the entrance of the cave and waited for his brother.

Caleb was moving quickly climbing the rocks with a speed Lily could barely keep up with, swift as she was. "It was a probe. From the Guardians. They aren't happy with me." That was all he said, all he felt he could say. He didn't answer the small redhead's other questions. His mind was in turmoil and he barely seemed to know she was there anymore. And then the voice came back, sounding admonishing.

Answer her.

Go away! This is your fault! Caleb snarled back, trying to push the voice away. It didn't go easily, though, slipping around his attempts, persistent.

You need to fight them this time.

No! GO AWAY!

If you let them control you, you'll never wake up! You're close now! Closer than you've ever been! Just fight them!

LEAVE ME ALONE!!

Caleb roared it and the voice finally retreated, but by that point the hybrid was angry, more angry than he knew what to do with and Caleb had nearly gotten to the cave when the flames started to lick at his skin, crackling with a faint, but angry hiss. He stopped, knowing he had to gain control before he hurt someone and the hybrid willed the fire back. It went slowly, reluctantly, fighting him the entire way, but he eventually had it caged again and by the time he did, Lauren had joined Jacob by the cave entrance.

The brunette gave a puzzled glance at Lily, not having any idea who she was, but her eyes went back to Caleb as the male started approaching and then Jacob. He'd said there was something bad coming?

"Guys? What's going on?"

There was an answer, but not a verbal one from Caleb as he spoke to solely to Jacob, his gray-black eyes meeting those of his brother's, fear and anger warring in his own gaze. I failed the test. I failed, Jacob, and they're going to fix my mind again. I don't want them to! They take things and I don't remember anymore! I don't want them to touch me!

Then they wont. Its different now, Caleb. Here we have a choice in how we want to live our lives. I have already made mine, and now its time to make yours.

Jacob looked over to Lauren, still keeping the majority of his posture facing front.

"A Guardian probe came to check on us, no doubt because of our recent activity...namely me. That woman there is Lily, she is a recent friend of Caleb's and the fourth of our group. The Probe will likely return with something before too long...what that is, I dont know yet. So its best to be up and know whats going on if we vanish."

He pulled his brother close and into a hug, feeling that he was trying not to unleash.

Maybe this is the day that you finally see your real power, brother...maybe today is the day that you can finally see the world in all of its glory and darkness. Whatever happens, though...I will be by your side. They wont take you away and silence it, I promise.

--------------------------------------------

"The probe came back with the results. Jacob showed remarkable power and emotion during every activation, though that power did cause the deaths of several persons who were trying to subdue him and his brother and this woman...Lauren. Lauren...that name sounds familiar. Anyways, it seems that his emotions have shown him a safe path to walk on."

"And of Caleb?" The female said, walking into the room.

"Hes showing signs of struggle. Hes conflicted, as per norm...but this time its different. Its only a matter of time before he snaps. Also, there is this woman that has been on his mind the past few hours, Lily...now I know that Ive heard all of this."

The male turned to another monitor and started pulling up history files.

"Just as I thought, do you remember that millenia old prophecy for this planet?"

"The one of the four elements?"

"Yes, thats the one. Two women and two men, each with powers of their own, coming together and uniting the world, cleansing it of evil. Throughout the prophetic texts, there are references to a Kayleb, Jeykub, Loren, and Lilley. Its very possible that the prophecy is coming true."

"If that is the case then we cannot get in the way of Caleb's transformations. His brother will have to guide him, all we can do is watch and offer advice...However, if things start getting out of hand, then we have to activate the failsafe..."

The female turned and stopped at the door, "Send a probe with the prophecy to Jacob. Tell him to do with it what he will."

The male nodded to himself and started imprinting the information into the probe and sending it off.

-----------------------------------

Lily looked over Jacob and Lauren and giggled.

"You two look cute together! Oh! You're Caleb's brother, right?"

Jacob chuckled nervously at the cute remark then nodded.

"Yes, I am his brother. Why do you ask?"

"Because I saw you do that magic trick and it was so cool! Can you do more magic, please?" She gave him puppydog eyes and he mournfully shook his head no.

"Im sorry, Lily, but right now I am still really tired and dont have the energy to do it. Maybe later, ok?"

"Ok!"

Lily looked back to Caleb and wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a hug. She looked up into his grey eyes with her green and smiled, "Everything will be Ok Caleb, Ill protect you! My sister says to protect those who are your friends. You're my friend, arent you?"

A choice? What choice?

Caleb shook his head, confused. He didn't understand anything! Why couldn't he understand? Why could he never understand what Jacob tried to tell him about all this? The question was a silent one to himself, something not even Jacob was privy to and the younger hybrid clung to the older, letting his words calm the racing of his heart and the emotions that wanted to override everything else. He felt volatile and he didn't like it.

But he trusted Jacob and if his brother said that nothing would happen to him, that he wouldn't be taken away again, he would try to believe that.

He pulled back with a nod, looking back toward the sky as Lily spoke to Jacob, his thoughts starting to wander down dark paths again...only to have small arms wrap around his waist and Caleb blinked in surprise, not having expected it. Looking down to see green eyes looking back into his gray, he found the fear inside him easing far more than it had already and the brown-haired male smiled gently at the redhead, his arm coming up to hold her shoulders carefully in a return hug. "Of course, little fire." he answered her and then his opposite hand did something that he didn't really remember telling it to, tucking Lily's red hair behind her ear, something very fond in the gesture.

This was a new feeling. Something strong and scary...and good. He knew that instantly. This emotion was good and it occurred to Caleb in that moment that this slip of a young woman was saying she'd protect him when...he should be protecting HER. The thought made him frown slightly to himself and the hybrid felt something shift slightly in his mind, the anger almost seeming to find a purpose and looked back down at Lily and spoke firmly.

"We are friends, Lily, and I will protect you."

Lauren had been silent throughout all of this, deep in thought as she watched the sky. She'd pretty much brushed off Lily's words about her and Jacob. Perhaps someday they'd effect her, but right now she was busy with more important things than the young-minded girl's observation of what she thought was a crush. Lauren didn't want to feel such things. When she gave her heart away, it would be permanently and the world was too harsh to form attachments that were not going to last.

Jacob was nice and sweet, and capable, but she'd known him all of two days and they'd been fighting, walking or sleeping for most of those hours. They didn't even know each other.

No, her focus was on the danger the two males had said could be coming, but even she noted the slight change in Caleb and she glanced at Jacob with the smallest hint of a smile. Well, that had escalated quickly.

"So, do we stay here or should be start moving out?"

"We wait."

Jacob sat down and crossed his legs, keeping his eyes on the sky and waiting.

------------------

They waited for ten minutes before the probe returned, it hovering above them ominously, pulsing an orange light from it. It let out a low groan and Jacob stood, nodding and opening his mind.

The probe flashed new information into his, telling him what the scans were for and the prophecy. After a moment, the probe flashed orange and flew off into the sky.

"Well, it looks like that we are all part of some ancient prophecy. Wish I were joking. Let me show you."

Jacob closed his eyes and opened up, reaching out to brush Lily's mind, it being defensive at first but slowly allowing access.

The prophecy states that two women and two men, each with powers of their own, coming together and uniting the world, cleansing it of evil. Throughout the prophetic texts, there are references to a Kayleb, Jeykub, Loren, and Lilley. They each represent an element, a messenger.

North Wind Messenger: Powerful, wild and more inclined toward destruction than creation. The North Wind is bitter and distrusting, expecting more harm than comfort. His true desire is not to hurt, but he finds it hard to help. He requires the balance of freedom and softness as his countenance is often hard and leaning toward feral, but forcefully controlled. His color is black.

East Wind Messenger: Strong of spirit and emotion, the East Wind desires to help, but her efforts sometimes cause more harm than good and this always deeply saddens her. She is always willing to make a friend and loves wholehearted. She can be a terror in her hurt. She is congenial, trusting and smart. She requires the balance of structure and restraint so that her powerful desires are directed toward good and peace. Her color is red.

South Wind Messenger: Structured, strong of power, controlled and inwardly lighthearted. The South Wind is all about creation and restoration. He desires peace above all else and is greatly gentle and forgiving of faults, but fiercely loyal and dangerous when angered. He requires the balance of a sterner countenance and guiding hand as he would rather wear himself out helping all than conserving his strength for when it really matters. His color is gold.

West Wind Messenger: Steady, passionate, fierce and reliable. The West Wind is always willing to help, but she is a reserved judge who does not trust unless given a good reason to do so. She is kind and inwardly patient with those she cares for. She is fair, but always leans toward justice rather than mercy. She requires the balance of warmth, laughter and a caring spirit to teach her how to be soft. Her color is brown.

Lauren, you are the West Wind; Caleb, you are the North Wind; Lily, you are the East Wind; and I am the South Wind. What can be made of this, I do not know yet, but it appears that we were destined to meet on many occasions.

Jacob close his mind off to the others then with the exception of his brother. They have left you in my care, brother. We have nothing to fear right now, together we are strong.

Jacob looked around at the others then turned to the cave. "I guess we can go back to sleep, unless any of you want to talk?"

Lily turned to Jacob then and smiled, "So does this mean that we are all magicians?!"

"I do not think that is the case but it does mean that we all have powers that we do not know of yet and are meant to make the world a better place...but for who? That is the real question. Who was the one who made the prophecy and for whose benefit?"

"Hmm. That is a good question...what do you think, Caleb?" She said, clinging onto his arm and smiling to him.

Lauren was....shocked...and slightly skeptical to say the least. She found herself opening her mouth to speak more than a few times and then shutting it again, pensive. What Jacob said sounded too fantastic to be true. It really did, but...he hadn't lied to her yet. He'd even shown her that he was being truthful with the information about himself and his brother. She had no reason to doubt his word now unless it be because of her own narrow-mindedness and Lauren bit her lip, looking back up at the sky.

Ah screw it.

"The West Wind, huh? Guess that pairs me up with you, Jacob." Lauren wasn't stupid and she could deduce things rather quickly. Every Messenger had required a balancing opposite and she was his. And the way she'd been described....yeah, it fit. Nice to get an insight on the others, too, even if she still felt this was insane. Save the planet? "And yeah, I don't have a clue or really even a guess as to who made this prophecy, but I think they might have been off their rocker."

That was her opinion on the matter and Lauren swept her hand back through her hair and a dyed red strand fell into her face. "Okay, let's say it's real; there's only two things I don't understand and one of them is the North Wind's description, because let's face it, your brother is like a child." She glanced at Caleb and saw that he was giving a look, but it wasn't one of protest.

She decided to move on. "And me. Now I don't know what Lily is, but I'm human. No virus abilities, no hybrid blood, no nothing. Just plain old unaffected human." She directed her words more to Jacob than anyone else.

Good thing, too, because Caleb was focused on Lily's question...and the same thing Lauren had pointed out. He...wasn't like that. Was he? The brunette had been right; he was childlike. His thoughts, the way he dealt with things...and he didn't even really mean to, but he didn't know any better. So how did that tie into his description as the North Wind? He didn't understand it and for once the voice inside his head didn't offer any wise advice. Caleb wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing right now. Then again, maybe the voice was just gone because the Guardians were not coming for him. He didn't know.

The hybrid blinked down at Lily, tilting his head, thoughtful about her question and his eyes flooded black like brine being poured into oil, the gray and the ebony not wanting to mix, but the darkness stronger until it overwhelmed the lighter shade. He spoke then, but it wasn't really Caleb's voice, not really. It was like he was echoed by many voices and he showed no emotion. "The Seers made the prophecy. They dwell in a space outside time and they observe it always. They see what has been and what will be, and they guide those they are told are worthy." Caleb looked up, black eyes searing into his brother's green.

"The Four Wind Prophecy was made for those who will come after us. This planet is no longer ours. It will no longer sustain our kind and we must find a new home, but we are to clean up the mess we made so that the ones who follow may succeed where we failed."

Last edited:
Jacob decided to address Lauren first, turning to her and smiling.

"So it seems. Also, who knows your true potential, Lauren. Sometimes the power lies in the heart and humans have a remarkably powerful heart."

He turned to Caleb then and smirked, "Caleb and other, Im a firm believer in changing destinies and prophecies. Whatever happens happens and if the world is lost to humanity, then so be it. We can find a new home. But, that said...I will do whatever I can to make it ours again. Actually, I shouldnt be thinking about just me...this is our home and we must make it ours together. How we achieve that, I dont know. I do know where to start, however. Caleb and I need to find our parents and sister. Once we find them, the North Star will be achieved."

North Star? He didnt recall anything about any North Star. What was the North Star?

The North Star is something that the Guardians created to utilize the power of the family for whatever they see fit. If things go good in our quest, it will help the world. If things go bad, their ultimatum is to take effect. You know what happens if the ultimatum is achieved.

Jacob nodded to himself, knowing that his mind was open to the group.

Lily looked over to Jacob, then Lauren, then Caleb and her face was full of awe.

"I can hear your thoughts! Thats so cool! Wait, does that mean that Im with you, Caleb? Because I think thats really cool."

Caleb listened to his brother with eyes that were already fading back to gray. This time, though, he didn't forget. This time had been different, he could feel it, knew it, but he didn't know how. Something - or someone...more than one? - had used him to speak and the hybrid found himself reaching up to rub his temples, knowing that he was missing something very important...as usual.

Why hadn't this being or whatever they were, used someone else? Why did they speak through him? He didn't have the answers and he didn't like it, but Caleb was almost growing used to that. Not happy about it, but grudgingly accepting. He didn't know how to fix it anyway and he could just add that to the list of things he didn't know or understand.

Gray eyes looked down into green once more and once again the irritation melted away for the most part as the young hybrid nodded and ruffled Lily's red hair affectionately. "You're with me, runt." he confirmed and Lauren snorted before she looked between Caleb and Jacob, before settling on the elder twin. He was the one who seemed to be in charge of their little group.

"All right, now that we've had creepy alien probes, a sudden prophecy, some freaky futuristic warning, some goal about a North Star and we know who we're 'paired up' with....does anyone have any idea WHERE we are going next?"

"We still had the possibility of finding something in Denver. Right now, thats our best bet of finding our parents." Jacob said, shrugging and turning back towards the cave. "Im going to go back to sleep though, so if you need me, Ill be laying in an awkward position on that rock."

He pointed at a rather uncomfortable looking rock as he made his way inside and lay down on it, folding his body at strange angles.

Lily tugged gently at Caleb's arm, "Hes right about sleeping...we should too! Oh my gosh! This will be the first time Ive slept with people for a Loooonnnnngggg time! This is so amazing!"

She pulled at Caleb, skipping along the way up against a wall and slumping down, patting the hard cave floor next to her and smiling.

What the-?

Lauren tilted her head this way and that, looking at Jacob and finally she simply grinned, passed it off as him being a male and looked back at Caleb. For some particular reason...she liked Jacob. She did and if she wasn't so practical, she would have said she had a major crush on him already, an infatuation, but Caleb...he reminded her of a child in so many ways that Jacob didn't seem to see. He encouraged his brother to be strong, to understand the power in him, but he didn't seem to know how to address the child within his brother. And Lily, while she was sweet and good, was too much a child herself, that Lauren could see already.

So perhaps the role of 'mother' in the situation would fall to her.

Was it a position she wanted? Not really, but since joining his impromptu group, she'd already been subject to things she didn't understand and apparently thrust into something she was supposed to be part of. Maybe this was just part of it. With that in mind, the brunette set a comforting hand on the male's shoulder, trying to think of what her father might have said to her. "It will be all right, Caleb." Gray eyes immediately latched on to her brown and Lauren felt her heart soften at the lost look within them and she smiled gently.

"You are going to be okay."

A nod followed her words and she was glad to see some of the fear fade. Lauren entered the cave then and once more looked Jacob with a tilted head, laughing softly as she moved to him and carefully took his arm, moving it to a position that looked less...painful. Her fingers brushed over his hair, moving it away from his forehead and she sighed. This journey was going to be a swirling whirlwind of emotions, wasn't it? She was pretty sure she was correct as she found her own place to sleep.

Caleb had looked after her, suddenly missing his mother even more, but he did not mention such things as Lily was pulling him to he cave and he found he had to smile at her. She was just so...light-filled. So happy and buoyant. He wanted to protect that and the thought was a strengthening one as he settled himself down beside her, facing each other like two children at a sleepover, curled close enough so they could talk.

The hybrid merely yawned, though, having gotten little or no sleep in the least several hours and he smiled at Lily but only told her goodnight before he drifted off into much-needed sleep.

Jacob woke at the first light of the sun and stirred, inadvertently rolling off his rock and hitting the ground with a solid thump. He looked around, ensuring that no one was awake and slowly got up and made his way to the entrance of the cave. He let the rays of the sun hit his body and absorb them into his core...it was a warm and pleasant feeling as it rolled its way through his body. He felt recharged and sighed pleasantly, looking around the horizon. He was hungry for actual food and fresh meat...something he hadnt had at all but the sound of it was fantastic. If he was going to live on this planet for however long he was to live here, he wanted to experience as much of it as he could.

He looked around in the distance for anything that moved and his eyes stopped on a small, four-legged creature. It had large, rigid ears and a muscular hind-shank, molted fur covering its body in patches. In all honesty, it looked like a rather mutated Rabbit of Old Eart...actually, it was a Jack rabbit, judging by the shape of the ears. He smiled to himself and decided that rabbit was going to be on the menu...rabbit and some canned corn to be precise.

He started his way towards it, examining it as it focused on him, the rabbit standing still. The question he still had on his mind regarding the meal was how to kill it. He could electrocute it but that would be dangerous...he could chase it, but he would get in a bind for sure...if he had something metalic, he could manipulate the electromagnetic fields of the planet and accelerate the item through its head...oh look, a penny! Jacob bent over and picked the penny up, noting that it was head-side up. He was pretty sure that there was an old legend about good luck if it was a face-up penny. He shrugged and looked towards the rabbit again.

Jacob closed his eyes and forced the penny from his hand and remarkable speeds, right between the lobes of its brain. It didnt offer much resistance as the penny passed between the barriers of the animal's skull, the body slumping to the ground. He walked over and retrieved the body and penny. He made it back to the cave and started a small fire, gathering some tinder and sparking the fire itself with his fingers and set to skinning the rabbit, or whats left of its fur and pulling off the rest of the dermal layer. He was trying to hurry before the rest of the group woke up and he retrieved a two cans of corn that he salvaged, grinding off the tops and putting their bases into the coals of the fire. He nodded to himself as the meal was successfully prepared and cooking, waiting for the others to rouse from their sleep with the smell.

Lily was hungry...she felt it...no...she smelt it! That was meat, and by the popping noise she was now hearing, it was fresh. Fresh meat cooking over a fire, fantastic treat! She rolled over, her face laying on Caleb's chest and hearing his heart beat and his breathing. To her, it was soothing, and in this world, it helped her sleep.

Slowly, though, she pushed herself off of him, careful not to wake him, and sat up. Looking around the cave, she saw Lauren laying over where Jacob went to sleep and the pack was open, at the opening of the cave was Jacob himself, crouched over a fire and poking at the coals with a stick. Yep, he was cooking fresh meat and it smelt fantastic. She hopped up and grabbed her bag, running over to him.

"I have some seasonings that I saved from after the attack! Would you like to use them?"

"Oh, that would be marvelous...lets see what you got."

Jacob took the offered bag from her and opened the pouch she was pointing to, pulling out some packages that had labels on them. Salt, pepper, and a curry rub. Curried rabbit? Eh, why not. He had time to learn how to cook and besides, it was fresh meat so it was a treat regardless in the end. He did a light layer of salt, packing it in, and sprinkling pepper over it, doing the same. He took some of the curry rub and massaged it into the meat, luckily it was still relatively raw, so it took rather well.

"Thanks, Lily. To be honest, Ive never had rabbit nor have I really cooked so this might end up terrible."

"Its ok! I know how to cook so I can teach you and help you! Oh, turn it over and do the same as the other."

Jacob did as he was told and Lily looked at him, smiling, and gave him a thumbs up. She showed him a rough technique for cooking meat, pressing against her cheek for rare meat, chin for medium-rare and forehead for medium to well done. To his surprise, it was working rather well and the meat was coming along fine. All that he was waiting for were the rest of the sleeping persons in the cave.

Lily pulled out some paper plates and plastic forks and knives, smiling again.

"Never leave home without them!"

"You will never cease to amaze me, Lily. Thank you."

Jacob took a metal knife from her and started carving up, and rather poorly, the rabbit and putting it on the plates and dividing the corn by half can per person and he nodded to himself, happy with what he did.

"Lets wait for the rest before we start eating. If we are going to die of food poisoning, Id rather we all die at the same time so its fair." He said in a joking tone but there was some sort of seriousness in it as he doubted his cooking.

Lauren had woken right about the same time Lily had, but the brunette hadn't moved, watching the redhead and Jacob interact with a slight smile, her head on her arms as she observed the two. They were cute and that was not something Lauren said about many things and certainly not many people. This group, though, was growing on her rather quickly, unexpectedly and she felt...comfortable around them.

It was strange.

Oh, crap! She didn't feel comfortable around that, though!

The brunette yelped lightly, scrambling away from Swiftfang who'd sensed she was awake and was coming over to say hi, and Lauren darted behind Jacob, hand on his shoulder...suddenly feeling playful. "Keep it away from me!" There was a definite grin in her voice.

The noise and the smell of food woke Caleb and he stirred groggily at first and then with more alertness as the Syhariy came over and he found his face being licked. "Ugh! Stop, stop!" The creature backed away with a huff at his words, but Caleb wasn't mad and Lauren was grinning, still holding on to Jacob's shoulders and she tilted her head nearly upside down over his shoulder to look at him, hair falling everywhere. "See? 'Tis a dangerous creature."

Caleb snorted, but he was moving to the fire and the food and a brows rose as he looked up at his brother and then Lily. "Please tell me you helped him cook. I don't wanna die."

Jacob chucked and let out a snort at Caleb's remark, "She told me how to poison it, just for you." He said in a mocking tone, handing him his plate.

He handed Lily her plate, "Madam."

"Thank you, kind sir." She gave a little courtsey and sat down, patting the ground next to her for Caleb to sit.

He placed one of his hands on the hand Lauren placed on his shoulder, giving it a gentle pat but the contact was prolonged.

"Your turn to consume whatever I have made. Its ok, Caleb will die first so we will know for sure if its poisoned." He looked over to his brother and winked, giving him a sly grin, and turning slowly to face her with a plate in her hand. He gave her a playful smile, taking the fork and putting a piece of the meat in his mouth. His eyes got rather wide and he dropped the fork onto the plate and made fake gagging sounds, tilting his head and sticking his tongue out, eyes closed.

A moment later, he righted himself with a grin.

"Its actually not terrible. Thanks Lily. Now, Lauren..." He handed her the plate and smiled, "This plate is yours. Judge harshly if need be!"

He sat there, facing her and eating his meal. First meal that he killed himself, good feeling. He suddenly realized he forgot one plate and smiled, turning back to the rabbit and carving off a rather large chunk...effectively half the meat, and placing it on a plate, sliding it towards Swiftfang. He turned back towards Lauren, facing her and smiling.

You're part of the family too, Swift.