Silent Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has my curiosity, and then she has my attention.

As the woman talks I watch her features and expressions shift, noting the burst blood vessels in her eyes and the sudden shift of tone from jovial to bitter. She's likely noted something similar about me: camaraderie amongst drunks. As her rant shifts to the topic of the funeral, however, my gaze averts. That knot in my stomach that's been growing for the last several hours constricts. My mother's final fate, hacked to pieces and then dumped at the side of the road like unwanted household appliances. A fate she did not deserve, the vicious conclusion to a long line of raw deals, tragedies and unhappiness.

My thoughts stray back to the knife in my coat, and I promise myself that someone is going to die for this.

I still can't wrap my head around this woman I'm smoking with. She's far too young to be a friend of my parents, you'd think, and my old man doesn't really do friends these days anyway. But then mum always was a sociable lady; her personality drew others to her, like moths to a flame.

Then the woman plants a foot on the fender of my car, and with the brief glint of a badge it all makes sense.

Shit.

She just had to be a fucking cop.

In my line of work, you want to avoid the police. Sure, I'm not technically breaking any laws but the eye of the authorities is the sort of attention you really don't want on you. And here I am bumming a smoke off one.

"Maybe it's perfect," she considers, "Killers return to the scene of the crime, right?

"And I'll be waiting."

The hell was that? An accusation? A threat? A suggestion? I can't figure Officer Moore's meaning, and I'm normally good at this kind of thing. Yet as I'm about to retaliate with some quips and questions of my own, I hear yelling from the back lawn of the hotel.

My head snaps round. Kid in the dark, misty waters of the lake, about to sink into its depths. Another on the jetty, panic etched onto her small face. And a pale man standing near to it all, shouting for help.

"Fuck!" I snarl, flinging away the half-smoked cigarette and breaking into a sprint towards the lake. There's a woman ahead of me already, throwing herself into the water after the drowning boy. With the fog hanging over it all it looks as though the lake is rising up to engulf the pair of them: even at this distance I can barely see them amidst all the gloom.

Skidding down onto the edge of the jetty, I attempt to get as close as possible to the woman and the boy in the water. Even here they're indistinct and obfuscated, as if the fog is actively attempting to cut them off from the shore. My eyes move to and fro, finally falling upon a battered old orange lifebuoy lying next to the small girl.

"Hey kid!" I call over to her, the urgency of the situation seeping into my voice, "Throw me that lifebuoy next to you!"

Last edited:
David's eyes shot off in the direction of Lindy's voice and followed her outstretched hand to the murky figure flailing in the foggy lake. He felt a whipping of the air beside him as Maureen sprang into action. The silent world had exploded with a bang and now all of the pieces were hurtling towards their mark. A previously unseen man was on the dock shouting at the young girl before David had even finished processing the scene before him. He dressed like a moneyed man, but something about the way he carried himself said "fake."

No! Now was not the time to size up, now was the time for action. Everyone else had already claimed a heroic role, but there was still one place he could find favor. There was one need that had been neglected, and he would use that to his advantage. He pushed off with his left foot and sprinted with long, bounding strides to the jetty. Grabbing the life preserver, he snapped his arm out and flung it at the newcomer. Confident the object would find its intended target, he turned to the girl who looked to be paralyzed with fear and pulled her back onto the shore.

"They've got him," He reassured her, "As long as he's flailing like that, he's still alive." Patting the child on the shoulder, David allowed himself a slight grin. "You did good. They'll have him back to shore in no time, you'll see."

The poser. The doll that had been given to her as a "personal belonging" back at the hospital two years ago. It had fallen in the lake. The woman that had jumped in to save the boy had kicked it into the lake. It was divine irony as Lindy watched, horror still clutching the girl's mind, as the doll bobbed away from the ripples of the two unconventional swimmers. The day was so filled with death, that Lindy felt she was going to be buried in it. Alone. All alone and cold. Lindy was beginning to back away from the edge of the jetty when another man ran past her, dropping to the edge.

For a moment she was scared that he was going to jump in as well, or possibly even fall in. You're too close to the edge... She wanted to say to him. Too close to the edge. "Hey kid! Throw me that lifebuoy next to you!" The man called over his shoulder. Blinking and frowning a bit, she thought she smelled something familiar wafting off him when he had run past her. Looking down by her feet, she saw the life ring. After a moment of just staring at it and glancing back to the man she was still frozen to her place.

She retreated back from the man who gave her the impression of someone who had broken a long time ago. Turning away from the man she closed her eyes, and pushed her palms into her eyes. It had to all be a nightmare, she had to wake up soon. This couldn't be happening. She was still in her bed back at Grandma and Grandpa Moore's stupid little house in stupid little Ohio. At least then she had the veil of love and adoration to hold onto, instead the memories of a broken mother and rose colored memories of a loving father haunted her.

Just then a man who had been talking before, snatched up the ring and tossed at the man who had asked her for it. Before Lindy could move from the man's path, he had swept her to the shore. His eyes cast upon her face, she could only tell because she had always been able to tell when an adult's eyes looked down upon her. A child's intuition. "They've got him, As long as he's flailing like that, he's still alive. You did good. They'll have him back to shore in no time, you'll see." The man said to her, but she couldn't help but feel that she hadn't done anything. She was just a child. The words that she had so wished for, only sounded hollow and false. "Okay." She said, her voice barely a soprano whisper. She felt the man pat her head, looking up to him she saw him smile. But it did not reach his eyes.

Looking around she only saw the haggard faces of those who had gathered for the funeral. The man from before who had screamed for help stood frozen and shocked to his place. Then, there was a woman that approached. Lindy kept her attention on the woman who approached now. Everything about the woman was like a beautiful melody. Her hair flowed, her skirt flowed, even her movements was like that of a river. She was so pretty. Almost like a doll, Lindy tilted her head. This adult would make a lovely doll.

The drowning cannot scream. Their body is hardwired to protect what matters most: breathing. That power which defines us - speech - is but a secondary function, a latter sacrificed to the former. Nor can the drowning flail. The instinct is to move the arms downwards, outwards, to flatten to the water for maximum leverage. In this our faculties of communication are extinguished. It is not men who drown. Only animals. They are not human when they go beneath the water.

And this boy had managed only half the illusion. He was silent but flailing. Half-truth and half-misconception. Enough to draw the onlookers to rescue, raised as they were on the cliche of what a drowning boy should look like.

If only they had held the misconception before this one. Two centuries ago they said the sea punished saviours. That those who sought to rescue one taken by the water would suffer most of all. This is why no one helped Ophelia when they saw her drowning. This is why the terror of the ocean grew in the bosom of our race.

As she neared the boy, twenty yards out, these were errors Maureen could not discern. The child was moving his arms with violent motion. He was high in the water, a grime-dark neck and shoulders exposed. And his thrashing was serpentine - not the jerking rhythm of one treading water. And as she reached for him it was with the sense that she was not alone in her effort.

Others were holding him. Bearing him aloft with pale, scrambling hands.

His arms came around her. Coarse dark hair was tangled with her own. She felt his breath, smelled the mildew and metal of a long, hard death.

And then he went under, dragging down her body with his own. She tried to hold him but to no avail. The boy was sucked down into the dark and his hands trailed all the way, touching her neck and breasts, scraping her ribs, cupping the curve of her waist and the swell of her hips. A last touch to her ankles and he was gone.

And Maureen heard a sound cut through the blood-pound in her ears. Deep and droning. A ship's horn?

No... something else.

A life buoy slammed into the water beside her, and she saw its orange fading... overwhelmed by a sudden, suffocating night.

Benedict stumbled, feet catching on cobble stones and the sharp slope of the hotel lawn. It was all he could think to do - recoil - as the light went out of the sky. As if someone had shut a door upon the word. Clouds became rust and mist to ashes. The trees shifted subtly, like rigormortis contraction.

And all to the music of that siren, which came from across the lake, from the town yet hidden.

He fell and landed hard on his back. But his head stayed up, fixed with horror upon the waters.

The little girl was screaming on the jetty. Other hotel guests were around her and shocked still by the eclipse. But they too would feel it, any moment now... they too would scream as Benedict screamed. It was a low sound, wavering and unnatural, and it tore from his lungs as he saw what was coming out of the water.

It began with hair and brows, like the boy before them. Then followed necks and shoulders, arms and torsos. But not faces. Faces did not come. And this was why Benedict screamed most of all.

The horror was in the detail.

Wigs... hairpieces crudely stitched into the scalp.

Lipstick smeared and infected around a maw that comprised their faces.

Porcelain nails, driven into the fingers. Lumps of flesh sewn and bleeding over their nipples.

Long, slick leather skirts, clinging like swathes of charred-black skin to cover mutilation betwixt their legs.

With a drunken, feminine grace they took first steps upon the shore and raised their arms. Chains rattled, a length impaled through each, dragging on the cobbles. They were coming up either side of the jetty.

They made a sound like sadness... like choking...

And they staggered closer.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fijoli
Maureen grappled for the life buoy, realizing there was something... Sinister about her surroundings now... Finally grabbing hold of it, she began kicking towards the land... Making her way to land once again, she saw something floating in the water... A doll, with beautiful blonde hair... Much like hers back before she dyed it and braided it... She picked it up, remembering the girl that had let out the cry alerting her of the drowning boy.."Was this... Hers?" She thought to herself... She held the doll in one hand, still paddling towards the land holding onto the life buoy with another "I should probably find her once I reach land... This place feels... Oppressing now for some reason..." She finally reached land, tired and sore, but she forced her aching legs to move "I need to find my jacket... I had a gun in there... I doubt my pocket knife will do me too much good here.." She thought back on the boy she had failed to save... "I was so close... I almost did it... Then those... Things dragged him under, almost dragged me down with them too..."

Last edited:
As David watched the scene unfold with his foolish confidence, something jarred him from his comfortable routine even further than the distress of the boy. For distress was, in its own way, routine as well with its own rules for approaching. This was wrong. This broke the rules and that shock struck David as real as a firm punch to the gut. Maureen had gone under, but not before the figure in the mist was revealed as the mockery of human life that it was. Its movements were unnatural and David's first reaction was to avert his eyes, ignore and wipe away the thing which challenged his feeble understanding of the cruel and uncaring world he now found himself an unwitting occupant of.

Suddenly there was a loud blaring of a horn in the distance and that world took on a new and hateful form, mocking the forms of nature just as the boy mocked the human form. He heard more screaming. Looking around he saw it was Benedict this time who was crying out and casting his gaze across the lake. David's eyes followed without his consent, every fiber of his being screaming for them to stay fixed on the ground. There they were. More hideous abominations stumbling out of the inky blackness of the lake. Even the way the water dripped from their bodies, if that was even what they had, looked off. It was as if the lake was pushing them out towards the interlopers standing ashore. The mass of leathery flesh shambling inexorably forward was like the arm of the lake reaching out to draw them in forever.

The scream found life in David as it had in Benedict, but his voice gave a single word to the sound. "Shit... Shit... SHIT!" Looking behind him and away from the claws of death, he saw the hotel. He needed safety. Its walls beckoned to him like the cave walls of the earliest humans and the castle walls of more recent ancestors. Turning back to the others he gestured for them to follow him impatiently as he began to step away. "Inside! Now!"

Reactions: Asmodeus
Maureen found her jacket where she had left it... She picked it up, looking through the inside of it, she found what she was looking for. A black handgun... The one she always kept around... It was light, easy to hold, and has a decent magazine, about 15 rounds... She has a box of ammunition in another one of her pockets... She always keeps these things with her since that incident she had... She put on her jacket, tucking Lindy's doll safely in one of her jacket pockets. She held onto her pistol now looking around the thick, dark, fog for Lindy... She found her eventually... She was standing with the rest of the group while David seems to be trying to get them to move towards him as he slowly stepped away but it seems other things had also found her as well... These things... Slowly stepped towards them... She finally caught up with the group, aiming her gun at the staggering creature that had showed up behind her, she began to open fire...

Last edited:
The kid's just staring at me blankly, panic setting in, but luckily someone else arrives on scene and hurls it in my direction.
"Thanks!" I shout, before slinging the orange buoy out into the ominous waters, close to where the woman and the child struggle against the liquid.

And as I do, a sound begins to ring throughout the shoreline, piercing into my ears, making my teeth chatter and the fear grip me like a vice.

Satan's own dinner bell, announcing to all unfortunates present that shit was about to get bad.

Life peels from the world before my very eyes. The sky darkens, leaving naught but perpetual night. Around me I can see the other arrivals at this beach reacting too; the man who was crying for help earlier has fallen back to stare up in horror at the abyss where the sky should be, the man standing next to the girl is pointing to the waters and yelling "Shit... shit... SHIT!" I follow his gaze, swinging my head around...

...to find myself staring at horrors crawling from the water.

Horrors with no faces, only maws.

Horrors with vicious nails jammed into their fingers, viciously stitched into place.

Horrors that stagger like me on a Friday night, lurching onto the shore and moving towards us.

Now it's my turn to yell.
"What the fuck are those things?!" It's a rhetorical question, of course: I doubt anyone nearby has much of an idea. The woman has grabbed the buoy I threw to her and pushed herself to the shore, just as the things start to crawl out after her. Off she sprints towards the jacket she had abandoned, and I concur with her idea of getting the fuck out of here. My hand plunges into my overcoat pocket, retrieving the folding knife from it and snapping the blade out. What seven and a half inches of steel will do to these things I can only guess, but I hope that it'll at least slow them down.

The tall guy the shaved head is yelling impatiently at everyone to get inside, and the soaked woman has tugged a pistol from her jacket. Apparently I'm not the only one bringing dangerous objects to a funeral. Moving quickly off the jetty and towards the others, I stop next to the small kid and hold out a hand. I keep my voice as calm and level as I can given the circumstances. "Kid, listen to me. We gotta get the hell off this jetty and inside right now, okay?"

Last edited:
https://soundcloud.com/valkyujra-epicurean/sonomas-theme-silent-hill
(My fruity looping fun, I can't embed soundcloud here, I'm stupid, so just click that link and read. Piano composition 100% me)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"From too much liberty, my Lucio, Liberty;

As surfeit is the father of much fast,
So every scope by the immoderate use
Turns to restraint. Our natures do persue
Like rats that ravin down their proper bane,
A thirsty evil, and when we drink we die."

Crowley Recited.

"What's that from?" I inquired aloud, moving closer and closer to a small girl. my eyes somberly watching Lindy as I took a knee. Reaching out my hand , my fingers collected the stray hairs and tucked them neatly behind the child's ear.

"Measure for Measure,
William Shakespeare," Crowley Answered.

I looked up at David as distress came over his expressions, each slow second, his features more dramatized than the moment before. Time became half-hidden in Space, while reality was inching its way into a Quasi-truth. The grass below me withered away and a moldering smell protruded from the now distempered water. everything was still, frozen, and my sight rested down on Lindy, her eyes staring into mine, a dark cold, hidden bitterness peered out.

"Curiouser and Curiouser" Crowley Whispered

In between the chaos I began to hear a loud sound, That burrowed into my ears, forcing me to cover them. I saw those faceless maws before, and worse but in their very likeness monstrous and harrowing. This was the moment I had been waiting for, the proof of my insanity, but reality was stamped upon me as I shielded Lindy with my boddess, between her and these hellish creatures. Watching their Orgastic movements I had seen in my nightmares. My eyes went wider and a short, hastey exhale left my lips. I was assertive, but deep down I wasn't fucking ready for this shit. suddenly all I cared about was protecting Lindy much like in the way a mother protects her child I hovered over her.

a sudden and Slimy
cold grip wrapped around my ankle, dropping my sketchbook to the ground, it tettered on its side before plopping open and face down. I steadied my pencil and hesitated. "Do it quickly what are you waiting for?!" Crowley's voice snapped in a rather sharp whisper almost like many whips whirling over my head. I dropped, driving the pointy end into the creatures forearm, and it writhed away from me, "Inside! Now!" The sirens grew into loud reverberating echoes.

BANG,BANG went Maureen's Firearms.

I Ducked low over Lindy from the sounding of the gun beside Lindy as a man approached me,

"Kid, listen to me. We gotta get the hell off this jetty and inside right now, okay?"

Influx, All spun around me like a wicked carousel in the darkest of midnight hours. Lindy just stared at me, I lost my restraint, Instinctively cover Lindy's eyes and Pluck her from the ground, unrooting her up into my arms. I pressed Lindy's ears shut with the attempt of my cheek against hers.

BANG.....

Propping her up on my hip, I wove my hand into Crispin's and yanked him from where he stood. Leaving my beloved sketchbook, we ran as rusty flakes preternaturally floated upwards and around us. Our thudding footsteps suddenly became hard, strict clanks against a now Metallic surface.

BANG....

Maureen ran backwards right up behind us firing at will. My heart raced and soon, Crispin was now pulling me behind him and into the hotel. I held fast to Lindy and Crispin just to make sure they were real, inwardly I trembled and my reserved surface began to crack. Sure enough Crowley began to whisper Jargon into my head as I stood there with my new cohorts, in hand, and gathered around, we saw....

Sirens, often the source of warning or even the source of danger. Lindy covered her ears, it was as if someone had stuck a massive siren against her head and allowed it to play at full volume. It was horrible, and the wretched smell of dead mutilated things was back. Suddenly there was mass hysteria among the adults, who just moments ago had been so calm. Looking back to the lake, she saw things so horrid crawl right out of the lake. They writhed and twitched dripping with the inky blackness of the lake. They crawled right from her nightmares. After leaving the hospital two years ago, she had been diagnosed with Night Terrors and Sleep Paralysis. The nightmares that afflicted her being so terrible that eventually she had given up the precious sleep that aided the mind. She had refused to sleep. Fighting every measure her grandparents took.

And now, the grotesque monsters crawled and moved before her. The nightmare she had so long avoided, presented before her very eyes. There were gunshots somewhere, but they were no where near as loud as the sirens that blared all around her. Why were they so loud? Lindy wanted to scream out that it hurt, that it was too loud. Suddenly, the beautiful woman stepped in front of her. Shielding Lindy from her nightmare, in response Lindy clung close to the flowing black skirt she wore. Just then a monster had crawled to close to them, its disgusting hand clasping around the lady's ankle. Lindy cried out warning the lady, but the woman was way ahead of her. She stabbed the thing in the arm forcing to retreat back. The monsters felt pain.

"Kid, listen to me. We gotta get the hell off this jetty and inside right now, okay?" Not daring to look around the lady, she heard a man's voice over the din. Turning her wide teary eyes on the source after taking a single peek at the source, she saw it as the man from earlier. His hand held out to her, offering something like protection.

But just then everything went dark, and she felt the lightness of being picked up. Slender arms were wrapped around her and the woman's cheek was against hers, the sound still there but not as loud. Lindy wrapped her tiny arms around the woman and clung to her for dear life. If she hadn't been fearing for her young life, she would have enjoyed the feeling of being held closely. Even though the woman was a stranger, and normally Lindy would reject this, there was something kindred and different about her.

Rust.

Metal.

Nightmares.

Lindy could smell the dried blood, she could feel the heat against her face. Something was... familiar about this. Terrifyingly real. Lindy could feel cold tears leaking between her eyelashes, the child so restless inside of her screaming out for someone to make the nightmares go away. To make her memories something pure. But it wouldn't be over, and it wasn't going away. Lindy's small fists held onto the Woman, and didn't look up as they stopped. She wouldn't look up, so long as she didn't have to.

She wouldn't look.

• Love
They were separated. Broken in three. Benedict, paralyzed with fear, left behind on the lawn as the others fled. Maureen, alive in wrath, lingering to fire her pistol. And the remainder, devoted entirely to saving the girl.

Why should these three things be? Why should the child absorb them, the killing distract them, the horror freeze them?

It would be answered, when the night had passed.

Benedict screamed as the creatures crawled over him, an orgy of rending and fondling. Each part of him was caressed, cherished bloodily and taken to possession. They fought for his pieces. They divided him like treasure, loved in meat, anointed in blood.

Maureen faltered for Benedict, considered going back, and in that moment was undone. A hand from shadow took her wrist, snapped it upwards, broke the bone. She jerked and fell against the water fountain. The ulna snapped, then the elbow, the humerus and clavicle. The limb was separated and left to sag inside its flesh. And as she howled she was embraced, a hot and sopping press that pushed impaling ribs through her vitals.

Carnage reigned behind. Yet in front was only darker, quieter terror. Lindy, Crispin and Sonoma, a trio linked by bone-pale hands, spilled up the steps and through the hotel entrance, to be pressed into a hallway of metal and rot. Their recoiling was instant. At the hallway's end the stairway was gone, leaving gaping darkness where bodies twitched. David, the first who had run, screamed behind a wire cocoon, suspended in his death throes on a metal pike.

Sonoma blanketed the child. Crispin spun. He had no time to scream. A creature was in the doorway, and her porcelain nails were in his eyes. They forced the eyeballs up into liquefaction and the tips came out through the lining of the mouth, hooking the upper jaw. He was pulled into a kiss, ruinous and shattering, and then was gone.

Sonoma whispered... words without thought, comfort without hope - the soft and sobbing noise of the end. And Lindy seemed to nod, to concur as her body curled into hers.

The siren grew louder.

Nails dragged across Sonoma's shoulders.

The light went out.

Lindy was tugged away.

Silence fell.

Part Two
ROADKILL

The light was pale, like after-sickness. With a squeak of old leather Sonoma stirred and gazed across the hotel lobby. A grandfather clock kept time, assuring motion in contrast with the stillness. And as a yawn escaped it sent the dust motes dancing.

Behind the window of the reception office the shadow of the hotel manager was busying itself. He was a quiet character, forgettable and self-distracted, though happy to let his guests nap in the lobby as they did now. Near the front desk the grandfather clock read eleven. Sonoma's father would be here soon, to collect her for the funeral.

She adjusted herself again and looked down at Lindy, whose head was resting on her chest as she slept. They were sharing the couch and mingling their warmth. Did she know this girl?

Yes.

"Wake up, boy."

The feel of tile was unmistakeable: smooth cold with grit debris, rough grout under fingertips, a smell of disinfectant long denied. Others shapes, pressed to his back and knees were familiar, as friends he could recognize with just a little thought. The long plastic siding of the bathtub in front of him. The smooth curve of the toilet base on his spine.

He had been here before.

Crispin opened his eyes and turned his head between the bathroom appliances. His father was in the doorway, a giant at this angle, black and sharp amongst the white. Leant on the doorframe, Arthur Hale rolled his lucky coin through his knuckles. He still had that old coin.

"I hoped you would make the funeral without piss on your clothes. Shows what I know." The man's voice was like the coin, rolling, jumping from point to point. A voice for the stage, apt to cross the spectrum of drama. It had faded only slightly with the ruin of age and alcoholism.

"Get up." Their flesh connected as father kicked son. Not a violent kick - not like the ones he gave to mother. But fierce enough. Clear enough.

The coin went away and Arthur drew cigarettes from his waistcoat, lighting up as he watched his son find handholds on the bathtub. "And take my advice, boy. Stay away from Officer Moore. That cunt has enough in her head without you adding to it. Just concentrate on walking straight. Can you do that, Crispin?"

Smoke made mist with the sunlight and billowed through the bathroom.

"My poor girl."

Maureen rolled in the bedsheets and pulled her arm away. The pillows received her gladly. She could smell mother's hair, that honeyblossom shampoo, and felt her weight on the edge of the bed. Hands pawed at her again and she rolled once more onto her back, where her wrist was taken a second time.

"Lie still, dear. You'll get an infection." Something cold and cotton-like dabbed her wrist, pricking pain and soreness. Maureen heard her mother sigh. "It's not like you to trip on stairs. You were never clumsy. At least you brought your first aid kit."

Finally she opened her eyes into the auburn halo of her mother's presence. The woman was sitting over her and disinfecting a gash on her wrist. Where had that wound come from? It look like splinters. Beyond the bed her jacket hung upon the desk chair and the bulge of the pistol barely noticeable. A flutter of relief ran through her.

"We'll go somewhere after the funeral, okay?" Amelia Sanders smiled down at her daughter. "Brahms or Ashfield Heights. Just you and me. Would you like that?" Her other hand brushed Maureen's cheek.

When the question went unanswered she followed with another. It was mantra to her. It was prayer. "Oh, you still have your braid. That's good. Your father would have wanted..." Amelia stopped, dabbed the wound silently, then smiled again at her daughter. "I'm sorry... about everything... you know that don't you, Maureen?"

Suddenly the motion stopped. Amelia looked fully at her daughter and took both her shoulders. "Tell me, please. Tell me you don't hate me, Maureen."

"Davey, Davey, Davey."

The tutting sound of daddy dearest delivered him from darkness. David jolted up from the writing desk, blinking as light struck through the hotel window. It was agony, pale and numb, a vision of the lake and slow-waving trees. He had fallen asleep by the hotel brochure.

"What am I going to do with you, boy?"

In the reflection he saw his father. Gregory Henderson was a bull of a man, solidly built like his son but polished off with beard and work boots. Even at his wife's funeral he dressed like a land-worker; and spoke like one too. His was a voice of earth and hardship. He was a root, gnarled and twisted in the earth.

"Your momma's the lucky one, ain't she? Cos she ain't gotta look at you now. Messy son of a bitch."

David turned in his seat, squinting, about to find words for his father, but the chair went out from under him. It tipped straight back on the floor and took David with it. And he was held there with his father stooping over him. A breath of red meat and soil was all that accompanied his words. "I got your attention now, boy? You gonna rise and shine for your momma's funeral? Get the hell up, you know what's good for you."

He shoved his son then stepped away, leaving him to untangle from the chair. The floorboards shook as Gregory paced and gave a glance to the furnishings. Everything screamed that David's father did not want to be here.

"Fucking faggot room," he muttered under his breath, then peered over his shoulder at David. "Time's a-wasting, Davey. We gotta put your momma in the ground now."

"Mother..."

Benedict sat up in the bed, coiling like an insect, the covers tightening around him. By the window he fixed on Deidre Karova in her finest dress suit, tight with padded shoulders. She had her arms folded as she regarded her son. "The car will be here soon, Benedict. You need to get ready."

He wrapped his arms around his knees. "You came."

"Of course I came. He was your father. This is what we do."

"I never knew you cared."

"Enough." Deidre's eyes were ice queen sharp, her posture unbreakable. "You will get ready now, you will join in me in the car and you will hold your tongue. Am I understood?"

"I always understood..."

"ENOUGH!" Her hands fell limp and she lurched to the edge of the bed, as if to strike him. But they each saw the folly, the inference in that act. She didn't want to be like him. Pulling away again, she let the silence settle. "He only left for a moment," Deidre murmured, as if to the hotel walls. "He went to pay for gas and I was sitting in the car for five minutes till I realized. The attendant didn't speak a word of English, of course. The police said the murderer must have taken him in the alley."

"How did he die?"

"What should that matter?"

"Open casket?"

She turned again, re-crossed her arms. "Impossible, if you must know. There was no face left to speak of."

Again, silence. Deidre hovered and kept her eyes on the paintings, on the flourish of architecture, the pattern of china - anything tasteless and regrettable.

"I had a bad dream, Mother."

"Get ready, Benedict. The ceremony is at 12. The Balkan Church. We can't be late."

"Do you have a kiss... for your son?"

Benedict's eyes were calculating, watching her all the while. She felt it. Her eyes flickered. Then one hand came to the bedpost. She leaned in, slowly, and her shadow swallowed him. He closed his eyes. And felt her lips upon his cheek, at the side of his mouth.

Last edited:
There was a terrible knot in David's back that sent a sharp pain through his body as he sprang bolt upright in his seat. Apparently he'd slept funny in the chair, and there was also a stinging tingle all down his arms. He had been awakened by the terrible sound ringing in his ears, and he felt an unknown terror looming over him. The voice that called his name was familiar. His father. David shrugged off the fear and told himself it was only lingering hatred for the man who had long held him and his mother in contempt. Any memory of the grotesque writhing mannequins was pushed back and buried away deep in the recesses of his mind.

The chair tipped over and David slammed into the floor with it. He winced in agony as the knot in his back loudly objected to his movement. After a moment had passed with his father angrily pacing the room, David rose to his feet and straightened himself out. He cast an accusing glace over at Gregory and replied. "Of course Greg. Just try not to sound so excited about it when we're in public."

Lindy screamed as the darkness without faces clung to her, scratched at her skin, pulled her away from the woman who had smelled like rain. Tears burned and poured over her pale round childlike cheeks as she kicked and screamed, reaching out to the woman. Begging and pleading for her to sweep Lindy away just once more, but the small child's pleas went unheard as the things drug her away. Incoherent screams filled the air, Lindy just became a part of the demonic choir...

The first thing Lindy felt was the stinging of sleeping limbs, it felt like small needles were being stuck into her nerves. Whining softly she turned over in someone's arms, eyes finally opening after the nightmare. Had it all just been a dream? Eyelashes fluttering, Lindy squinted against the sudden brightness of the foggy sunlight streaming in through dusty hotel windows. After eyes being drowned in darkness for so long, they burned a bit. They also felt particularly dry, Lindy moved further into the familiar embrace.

"Is it gone... are they gone?"

Her voice was soft, broken even as she looked up into the face of the lady who had cared enough to save her. Cared enough to give a child without a mother's love, protection from nightmares. Lindy thought back unto the first day in her grandparent's home. The house was quaint, foreign and above all it was stifling. They had promised she would be happy, but Lindy didn't understand what happiness was. All she had ever known was oblivion, lost memories, and the faint heart monitor that had been connected to her arm in the hospital.

Two years had gone by, never a troubling child. But always in her own way disobedient, never listening to what her Grandmother said. Never having reason to.

Lindy? What do you want for your birthday darling? Maybe some new crayons, or perhaps some paint? Yes I think that you would enjoy a creative outlet. You do have the mind of an artist, so colorful and creative. Yes. Lindy, would you like to come with Grandma to pick out the paints? You also need paper. Oh Lindy. I do wish you would speak to Grandma...

Grandma Moore always had a good heart, but it was tainted by selfish desires. The desire to have a perfectly well behaving child in her care. A child that listened and talked and acted like a good girl. To act like a doll. Lindy buried her face into the woman's lovely hair and relaxed, trying to flush out the painful memories of being stifled by expectations of careless grandparents. Another pair of shaking, almost caring, pale hands.

Lindy focused on the now, whispering she spoke to the woman. "I... I am... Lindy." The young girl was shy almost as she told the woman her name, in what would be a proper introduction. "My... My daddy is dead I think." She explained, her child's voice hollow almost. "Grandma Moore and Grandpa Moore left me I think... to wait for mommy." Lindy pushed back and looked up at the woman. "Did... did you know my daddy too?"

They all had a reason to be there. Was it the same reason?

Oh Lindy...

I wish you would speak to me so sweetly...

Oh Lindy...

Reactions: Asmodeus
"I... I.." Maureen was at a loss for words... "I should be the one being sorry..." She said after a moment, pulling her mother into a long awaited embrace... She was crying now, just like she cried when she first read the letter... She didn't care if her wrist still stings from that wound, but then she remembered the doll... "Lindy's doll?" She asked herself she took another fleeting glance at her jacket... There was another slight bump, smaller than the one her pistol made near another pocket... "Why would that still be in there... Is it.. Following me?" She pondered... It did resemble what she looked like though... Before the unwanted attention of men lead her to dye her hair, and even braid it... Her father had always commented on how he liked her hair that way... She wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but now all it does is give off the feeling of regret... "I shouldn't have left... I might have been able to prevent it..." Her thoughts were drifting, even in the comfort of the embrace she enveloped her mother in... They always did every now and then, and she doubts that will come to an end until she remembers those 5 years she's lost the memories of...

Consumed, Swallowed whole by a diabolical darkness. Professed by sleep? no…I was wide awake. Frantic efforts to stay attached to Lindy proved futile as she was ripped away and in the dark I sat, my breath growing ever Stertorous. There was no doubt in my mind I was still awake. I am awake.

"BOO"

From the darkness, Gnarled and wrinkled, the face of an older man hung down to my face in cachinnation. It was Crowley, Tears of laughter streaming down his taught laugh lines. Crowley took me by the shoulders and shook me in the darkness as I had never seen him before. Bright blue and young eyes sunk above high rosey cheek bones, white hair stuck straight out in many directions denying all strands of any order. He opened his mouth but instead I could hear little Lindy, Trembles in her voice."Is it gone... are they" Crowley Lashed out at my abdomen and eerily ran his finger in circles around my belly button. Sensations of forbidding and extreme circumstance beyont my understanding, perplexed and hindered all train of thoughts. Focus elluded me while something kept trying to force its way in.

"Time to wake up Sonoma, Daddy's Coming"

"WAKE UP!!"

Eyes fluttered open, Now I am asleep, I told myself. If a mental person could keep track of such things perhaps backwards was the way to do it. The result was Lindy looking up at me, cradled in my arms, her china doll face bore a likeness to mine and for a moment I felt that I was staring into myself. "Are you alright?" I said sitting forward, setting Lindy up straight on my thigh, gently wrapping her collar round her neck to keep warm. My eyes felt heavy and surely looked darkened by circles weighed down by the shocking turns in reality. Taking Lindy's tiny chin between thumb and pointer I turned her face side to side looking for any signs of physical trauma.

"My name is Sonoma," I felt very out of breath,
"Do you know where your parents are? What is your name?Are you hurt?" I asked her calmly as Crowley starts laughing and fouly reminds me of the time as the clock Chimes 11:00 am, Father was on his way. Lindy leaned into me and I wrapped her in my sheltering embrace, My eyes lifted to watch the turning of the clock as she whispered to me, its chimes marking the hour.

"I... I am... Lindy."
"My... My daddy is dead I think."
"Grandma Moore and Grandpa Moore left me I think... to wait for mommy."
"Did... did you know my daddy too?"

11:02

"Oh you know her daddy alright"

I had a doubt that My father wasn't on his way to take me to a funeral, but I had no proof. Was Crowley just making me paranoid? Where the fuck did he come from anyway...Am I really crazy?

"You, m'dear, are off your fucking rocker"

Crowley's words were potent and Coarse as he continued to remind me that my hourglass was quickly reaching closer for the last grain of its sand.

11:13

I didn't know where to go, I was too far down the rabbit hole now and beyond this was the point of no return. A loud Bang on the ceiling above gave me a fright, I jumped and tighten a gentle grip on Lindy's tiny frame. Lifting her up I settled her on my hip again, standing to see my sketchbook and pencil sitting neatly on the table in front of me. I half bent at the waste balancing Lindy and Picking up my ominously untouched Book by it's spiral binding.

But I wasn't fast enough, As I turned I bumped chests with no other than, My father.

11:15

"Punctual prick isn't he?"

"Daddy..." swallowing hard I thought as quick as I could, "Lindy here has lost her Grand parents, I have to help her find them, she is very distraught. Here it was...Another show down...I locked eyes with my father, I dared not to blink, Dared not to look away for anything. Much Like when Two Dogs Stare each other down, each waiting for the other to break their locked gazes, anticipating the chance to strike, or in my case, the direction to run. Again this man stood between me and my thirst for knowing. I held Lindy Firmly, Securely and close, my Eyes Locked and Intentions loaded, I stood looking up at my Father In the very shadows he Impressed upon me.
Undiminished, steadfast, and with a resilient tenacity I held out my sketchbook for my father to take from my hand. Hoping to not give away what truth I was starting to believe and I really took in the features of my father face and began to compare in my head.

"Hmmm that's strange, looks awfully familiar"

~Damn you Crowley shut the fuck up~ I spoke inwardly causing my Brow to raise slightly

"I won't be long daddy...I promise"

But,
this man always knew when I was lying. Damn him, and his endless Charismatic facade, He wore it to shield all his ugly truths. Ugly Truths that were starting to unravel here in Silent Hill. At least for now, he didn't know, That I knew.

"You should learn to Lie better"

I Bounced Lindy on my hip once to adjust her, resting my chin lightly over her head to hide her face in my neck. No, I don't think my father would be letting me out of his sight. Not now that he saw I had his Secret cradled in my arms.

Waking up to a hangover, your back screaming from the angle you've managed to position yourself at and the smell of piss filling your nostrils.

I really wish I could say this was an unfamiliar sensation.

Your body wakes up slowly when you're in this state, like some monster in an old Hammer Horror rising from it's grave. As always your head reports in first, confirming that, yup, it's gonna be feeling like something's stamping on it with steel toe-capped boots for the foreseeable future. Next is your stomach, lured to wakefulness by that acrid urine smell and immediately attempting to drive it's contents out through your throat. Finally everything else gets fired up, and you can actually start to move again.

But nothing gets you going like hearing his dulcet tones wafting through your ears.

"I hoped you would make the funeral without piss on your clothes. Shows what I know." A kick to the ribs follows. Not as hard as he could be dispensing (I've seen first-hand what his worst is), but enough to hurt. Enough to make the riot going on in my lower chest kick into overdrive. Necessity overcomes reluctance.

I haul myself to my feet, stagger out of the bathroom stall and empty the contents of my stomach into the nearest sink. My throat burns. My head pounds. My hands are clenched into fists as he continues his speech.

But on the bright side my stomach is complaining less, so that's a small silver lining. Wiping my mouth with a paper towel I round on him, eyes burning.
"Drop the fucking act, old man, you're not on stage anymore," I growl, looking into his eyes for the first time in over two years, "And I can smell your breath from here, you hypocrite. What was it? Cheeky little quart of bourbon at breakfast and lunch to get you through the day?" My stomach rolls again, but I manage to ride the wave this time, sucking in deep, haggard breaths. Something is starting to register with my brain: this doesn't make sense. How the fuck did I land up here? I hadn't even been drinking when I showed up at the hotel (god how I wanted to though), and now suddenly I'm spewing my guts in some shitty bathroom with the hangover from hell?

And why the fuck is he so concerned about me talking to Officer Moore? 'Killers return to the scene of their crimes', she said.

My eyes narrow further as I spin one of the taps on another sink and gulp water down a dry throat. The sudden realisation of just how dehydrated I am follows, along with a small sense of relief. I only stop drinking when my lungs begin crying for air, twisting my head back round to face him whilst sucking in breaths. "You remember our last conversation? What I promised to do to you if I ever saw you again?"

I feel the knife in my overcoat, still tucked carefully away. A reassuring weight.

"Well I'm going to make good on that if you don't cut the shit and tell me what happened to mom."

"I dreamed about a boy. He was drowning, out there in that lake. I didn't help him. I didn't want to. And I wasn't even afraid. I just didn't want to. I was happy for him to drown. Am I a monster, Mother?"

"I could chase you away if you were."

"From the wardrobe... from the bed."

"This is not the time, Benedict."

"Oh but it is, Mother. It truly is. The time we wanted. Without him."

"Did you kill him?"

Benedict stuttered, mouth half-open, a crease through one eyebrow then the next. He lost his rhythm while his mother resumed hers. Arms still folded, Deidre Karova walked the perimeter of the bed while sounding a heel-toe staccato. "Death was by blood loss, from seventy-six stab wounds. Deliberate lacerations to the face and genitals, along with defensive wounds on the limbs. The pattern suggested clumsiness, and the clumsiness suggested frenzy. It was a crime of passion. Yet what followed was meditated. Divided in twenty three parts, including tongue and eyeballs, bagged, sealed with parcel tape and deposited at the roadside, at the town limits of Silent Hill."

She paused by the bedpost, which cut her face in two with its wooden shaft. Yet each eye fixed him. And Benedict, nervous, clutching the bedsheets, struggled again for words till his quivering mouth became a smile. "I would have used a hammer." He laughed breathlessly.

"Is this all you have now?" Deidre's glare was cutting. "All there is to you? Your father dies and you think it doesn't concern you?"

His head tilted, slowly, insectoid-like as he whispered, "Why should that man have any of my time?"

She looked down, whispered back, "Because he had mine."

It struck a mutual chord of sadness. The ache came suddenly, as a breeze through his heart. He shifted under the covers. "Mother..." But at that moment she broke into a motion, a rustle of clothes, and intake of breath. It felt violent.

"Balkan Church. 12pm. I'll meet you in the lobby and we'll drive together."

"Mother!" he pivoted under the sheets, came to his knees, reached for her. But she was already through the door and gone from him. Benedict ended perched at the edge of the bed, the covers half-fallen, his body rocking back and forth as tears broke. And with them came a wavering, guttural sob.

"MOTHER!"

• Love
Bartley LaFleur had a father's smile - the smile of the old times, when people smiled for other reasons, for pride and legacy, patronage and tradition.

And when his arm reached out it connected three generations - Lindy, Sonoma and himself - captured in that smile, that smile neither warm nor cold.

"Why hello, Lindy." He squeezed the girl's arm as she clung to his daughter. Then he let his hand come away. "I knew your mother. You have the same eyes, you know. I remember her saying she wanted a daughter who didn't look like her. Vanity and motherhood shouldn't mix. That's what she said."

He took in the girl's face and clasped one hand upon the other with a sigh. "I'm glad she got her wish."

Then his eyes tracked to Sonoma and the smile neutralized. "I'll bring the car round to the front. Five minutes."

He turned and passed once more through the hotel entrance.

A second thump echoed in the hotel room.

Gregory Henderson had David against the wall, his workman's hands around his throat. The son was held with just the air the father allowed him. And by their feet lay paintings knocked from the wall - lighthouses and amusement parks veiled behind crumpled mist.

"You watch your mouth, boy. Gonna be mighty hard to sass your old man when you're pissing blood." A second slam pressed David's face against the wall, and Gregory held it there, cheek to wall paper. He was still strong. Age had not taken the cruelty from his muscles. "I'd knock out those teeth right now if I didn't need you pretty for your momma's funeral. Soft-bellied piece of shit."

The grip adjusted and came again with greater force. David was dragged along the wall, to where metal glinted with painful promise. The nail on which a painting had hung. Gregory knew what he was doing. "But even the blind can cry, eh boy?"

Each blink brushed eyelash to metal. A breath of raw meat and mildew reminded him of home. David felt his father's beard bristles by his ear.

"You did this to her," he whispered. "You killed your momma, boy. She's burning cos of you."

The pressure snapped away. David fell amongst the ruin of the paintings and Gregory left him there to catch his breath. Boots pounded the floorboards and his father lingered only briefly in the doorway. "Downstairs. Five minutes. Or I'll bury you beside her."

Then he was gone.

Maureen collided again with the pillows. Her mother had pushed her away, held her at arm's length by the shoulders. The woman's smile had gone but the tears remained.

"No!" Amelia Sanders shouted at her daughter. "You mustn't say that! You did nothing wrong! It wasn't your fault!" The shaking hit a note of frenzy. "IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT!"

And from that crescendo she broke to fresh tears and came down with her head on Maureen's lap.

"I couldn't live if you blamed yourself. I've been a terrible mother. I always was. A sinner. A monster. Don't forgive me, please - don't forgive me. Anything but that."

Maureen remembered so little of her mother, yet even that brevity told her that these words were desperate, these actions crazed. The anxieties her mother exuded were knotted and contradictory, a tangle as mad as her auburn hair. For a few seconds she wept then pulled away again and got to her feet. Loud sniffs followed as Amelia adjusted her clothes.

"We have to go. We have to say goodbye to your father. I don't want you here, Love. Not here. Not this town. We'll just get it over with. I'm sorry."

Before Maureen could speak her mother had crossed the room. Her face was hidden by her curls, yet one eye flashed back at her, red with tears. "Five minutes, Dear. I'll bring a car around. We'll drive together. Just you and me. Like old times. Five minutes."

She hurried through the door.

Arthur Hale took his son's menace with a puff of his cigarette. Still leant in the bathroom doorway, he exuded detachment, even from the anger of his own flesh and blood.

"Oh, you think I know the secret to the magic trick? A woman goes into a diner with her husband and vanishes while he's paying the bill. Alakazam!" His off-hand made a flourish. He returned Crispin's glare.

"Well I'm afraid that reveal is a little fucking beyond me."

He stopped to check his suit, smoothing the point of his collar, checking his tie in the bathroom mirror, patting down slicked black hair. "There's nothing behind the curtain, Crispin. Some crazy fuckhead chopped her up, and we get to look at each other's faces one more time while we put her pieces in the ground. I loved her - you're not dumb enough to deny that - so I deserve to be here as much as you. And I'll be quite happy to never see you again when this is done."

He stubbed out his cigarette in the sink and gave a sidelong glance to Crispin. "So why don't you cut the shit? Unless you can pull a serial killer out of a hat, you're not much used to anyone, are you Crispin?"

"Hi..."

As Sonoma's father left the lobby his presence was replaced by another at the top of the stairs.

Benedict, in creased suit and heavy coat, lingered by the bannister to stare at the two girls. His interest in Lindy was only passing. The weight of his eyes was for Sonoma. The two were mirrored pale, bleached by sunlight.

"You were by the lake..." His voice was barely above a mumble. He started slowly down the stairs, taking seven before he finished the sentence. "...in my dream."

There was a soft trill from the reception office. Behind the blinded window the shadow of the hotel manager took a call and answered in a murmur. He seemed a world away from the three of them.

"The boy drowned..."

With a last few uncertain steps Benedict reached the lobby floor and stopped a little way from Lindy and Sonoma. His face was rigid with confusion.

"Do I know you?"

• Love

"My name is Sonoma,"

Lindy looked back up at this, Sonoma, and frowned a bit. It was a very odd name, but it tasted nice on her tongue. "So... Sonoma." Lindy said softly looking down at her pale had that had clasped some of the woman's blouse fabric. Lindy liked Sonoma, and though she was very pretty and warm. Not wanting to be put down, Lindy curled further into the woman's embrace. Just a little while longer would she enjoy this woman's touch, just a little while longer she would indulge her own desires and fears.

"Why hello, Lindy." A new hand clasped around her arm, giving it a gentle squeeze. The hand felt rough and callused against her skin, and she felt the urge to squirm away from the foreign touch. Looking up at the newcomer, she felt a hard look enter her eyes. Who dared to touch her like that, and speak to her so casually and familiarly. "I knew your mother. You have the same eyes, you know. I remember her saying she wanted a daughter who didn't look like her. Vanity and motherhood shouldn't mix. That's what she said." Lindy retreated back from the man with the empty smile, the more people she met in this place the more she wanted to run away. She was beginning to have the sneaking suspicion that anywhere, was better than here. He knew her mother... Lindy was not sure how she felt about that. And least of all did she know what he was talking about.

"I'm glad she got her wish." The man's breath smelled like toothpaste with a underlying tone of something putrid.

Age... Death...

Something hissed in the back of her mind, the voice sounding familiar. Wrinkling her nose she turned away from the man, obviously displeased. For a young girl who never really was able to be treated like a princess, she had moments in which she did indeed act like one. "I'll bring the car round to the front. Five minutes." This caught Lindy's attention once more, she turned her face just in time to see the older man leave the lobby. His tone before he left sounded as though he meant for Sonoma to find someone else to push the child upon. Feeling that edging of despair she squirmed in Sonoma's hold, "Your Daddy wants me to go away." She said plainly as she pushed away. Rejection never settling well with Lindy, "I need to go find my mommy, I am sorry for being a bother."

• Love
He was always good at putting on an air of detachment, ever since I was young.

Probably one of the reasons why he got away with treating my mother the way he did. My skill at talking fast, at telling people what they want to hear, comes from him after all. Back in the days when he was still finding success. Before he really started to hit the bottle. Before he really started to hit his wife.

But that's a lifetime ago, now, separated by a five-year gulf I cannot recall. The man he was is not the man he has become, and he can put all the airs and graces on that he likes; I learned his tricks of the trade right from under him, so I can see right through the stage persona. Underneath that façade is the burning resentment that made me hate him so, inches from the surface now in the wake of what has come to pass. Someone's taken his favourite toy from him, and his fury is such that he can barely hold it in.

This old failure didn't kill my mother. For she was the last thing that was truly his.

Yet his words dump kerosene on the fire that's raging in my gut, even as my hand moves away from the knife.
"'Not much use'? I was several states away when this happened to her. Where the fuck were you? Half-cut at the cash register, arguing with the waitress over the tip like you always do?" I stride forwards, eyes narrowed, and jab a finger into his chest. "You fucked up. Again. As you have with everything in your life. And yet again, she paid the price. You failed as a stage performer, you failed as a father. And finally, you've failed as a husband."

Anger finally gives way to frustration and bitterness, and despite the pounding of the back of my head I feel my thoughts straying back to that bottle of Jim Beam I brought in the car (assuming it's not to answer for my state right now). I promised myself I wouldn't be drinking until this was over, but it seems I've already broken that one.

Sighing, I shoulder my way past the man I once called dad and move out into the corridor. Yet as I move for the stairs I stop and look back one final time before departing.

"I wish to God it was you we were putting in the ground today."

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.