Should I Make a Comprehensive Medical Resource?

Should I make a comprehensive medical resource for the site w/ the topics included below?

• Yes! I would appreciate it!

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • Sure, but I wouldn’t use it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope—I’m good, fam.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

novaluna

🌑in the dark of night🌑
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per week
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
5 PM - 12 AM, checking in throughout the day
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
romance, historical, fantasy, sci-fi, and any combination thereof including fandom
Hey there! I've been thinking recently about where I can contribute to the community in ways other just roleplaying, and I noticed a lack of information on medicine (diseases, the history, the realities of the profession, etc.) in the resources. I'm currently a medical student, so I feel like this is somewhere within my expertise that I could really make a difference for those seeking advice on the topic when it comes to using it in their writing. Thoughts?

My initial idea is to create a resource that includes a break down of multiple areas of medicine, such as:
  • general anatomy of the (human) body
  • common diseases/injuries & how they're treated
  • the medical profession in itself (med school, residency, medical practice, etc)
  • the general set up of hospitals w/ historical contexts
  • major diseases throughout history
  • how to integrate current day knowledge of disease into fantasy, historical, & sci-fi settings
  • a list of good sources for researching diseases that are easy to understand for the non-medical community
This would take a fair bit of work, but I come across patients often who don't know these things, so I imagine there would be a need for it here as well; wading through medical information is often hard & tedious, but I literally do it on the daily, so I feel like I could provide a lot of help in this situation. Plus, if you learn something about your own body & your own health along the way—great!

I've attached a poll to let me know what you think, but if you have comments, ideas, or thoughts, please let me know!

YES PLEASE. I find I rarely ever do medical professionals because it's such an intimidating field to do research on. >:[ It'd be wonderful to have a place to start.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: novaluna
@Diana That's what I hear (and have experienced myself as someone who's in the field), so I'm glad that at least the Owl Mother™️ approves!

PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE -bows to the ground to beg-

• Haha
OKAY! enough time has passed at this point & (most importantly) i haven't received any downvotes for the idea, so it looks like i'm really going to do this! i have a major exam at the beginning of next week, so i'll be spending way too much time this weekend studying. therefore, i won't begin work on this until next week. in the meantime, i have a pretty simple question about formatting (@The Mood is Write i'll tag you, but if there's someone better i should ask, feel free to tag them!!): given the length of the proposed resource, i personally think it'll be best if it's spaced out over multiple posts instead of it being crammed into one MASSIVE post. i would like to do multiple posts in a row on a single thread (as to not clog the resource sub-forum with ten thousand different threads about this topic), but i don't know if that's allowed. is it?

This sounds dope. I'll be looking forward to reading it! We've got a lot of medical students who float through where I work, so I'm sure you've seen some gruesome stuff. Especially trauma...mmmm, trauma

Make sure to include gory pics :^)

• Haha
I'd say, going for a thread and putting (do not post) in the title to make sure you can get everything added would be fine. Putting everything into one post would probably go past the character limit!

• Thank You
I think that would be really helpful information to have. I've always been curious about medicine and conditions. I'm all for it.