{Shelby} Dragon's Sacrifice {Chaotic Cello}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amara hummed in response. "More or less." He walked further into the room. "Keep it safe. Polish it. Find more. Watch it."

His eyes danced around the room, enjoying the hypnotizing gleam to made him forget his problems, anger, and Myla's frustrating insults. Captivated like a moth to a flame.

He was to the edge of the water, so he was standing next to Myla. He was truly tempted to sit down and simply run his fingers through the water as if the touch the shimmering in the reflection. But he forced himself to remain standing, knowing that he would be unable to pull away if he began.

"Why would I ever even try give this up?" He mused.

Myla watched his reaction, intently trying to see what he could do, what he would do, in the face of all this 'temptation'. Why did dragons find it so fascinating? Sure, all of this was beautiful, is was magnificent even! But how could he ever understand the true value of what gold held when all he did was watch it and make sure that it was polished. That wasn't what gold was for! Gold was for making transactions, gold was for making sure that a village had enough wealth in order for all the inhabitants to survive and not starve themselves.

He didn't understand how much people valued this. All he saw it was something that he could look at.

"I don't know," she spoke, looking up at Amara as he stood next to her, his eyes transfixed into the gleam of the water and gold. "Has anyone ever stepped foot in here other than yourself? Or did you kill them before they had the chance?" She looked back into the water, crossing her arms.

He saw her annoyed form in the relection and frowned. Before the gold drew his eyes away again and a peacful smile crossed his face. "The humans that have seen it are dead thieves who snuck in when I was away."

Then a flash of pain that only crossed his eyes lasting only a fleeting second.
It took a lot of focus to say his next words. "Two other dragons have seen it too...when it was much smaller." His mind trailed away. "They are...away now."

It was then that he decided that he will sit at the waters edge and let himself touch the glimmering reflection. Distracting him and ending whatever train of thought he was in. "Having more fill the holes." His voice was quiet and trance-like as of he wasn't aware of what he was saying and that there was a listener.

As his eyes seemed to flicker back and forth, as if bringing him back from a trance, but then bringing him right back into it. Like the gold was brainwashing him, like it was controlling his very being. It was odd, to say the least, but the way he spoke made Myla question his being all the more. No one, or thing, should be this transfixed about something that meant nothing to him. It didn't even seem like it was healthy.

She furrowed her brows as she looked down into the water as he spoke, his reflection clear within the water, enabling her to see his eyes without straining her next because of how much taller than her he was. When he mentioned thieves being dead after trying to steal his things, a shiver was sent down her spine, but it was his distancing tone that caused an uneasy feeling to shudder through the woman. "I don't understand. What holes?" She looked around, wondering if there were other caves connected to this one, holding even more gold and riches. She didn't see anything though. Perhaps he was hiding them, like he hid this one?

Amara didn't answer for a long time. He only barely heard her question and when it registered...well decided ithe would be better to remain in the mesmerizing daze that made him happy. Or at least as close as he is able to get to it. Going there...would bring him out and away from that. Make him...dull. Dull wasn't there word he was looking for, but it was the opposite of shiny. So it would work for his mind.

It was when his dancing eyes caught her eyes staring at him through the water that he felt obligated to answer in an empty voice. "The holes inside." He say anything else, but instead reached over and tapped the shirt right over Myla's heart three times.

It was then he decided that it was time to leave his treasures. He shouldn't be around a human when his mind was so clouded and muddled. Especially when it wasn't normally not that bad. It was the mention of death that pushed him further into the spell gold weaves for his kinds' minds.

His eyes about danced one more time before he headed for the exit, running his fingers over everything he passed--within reach.

Her brows furrowed as she watched him point at where her heart lie in the water three times, her hand traveling to that stop her own self. The feel of her heartbeat could be felt, but she quickly dropped her hands and watched as the dragon stood up and headed out of the cave, his mind obviously still muddle from the sight of all of this. This didn't make any sense. Why did this hold so much power over him, why did it turn him into... That? Her eyes ran back to the gold, and braving herself a bit, Myla walked over to the mound of gold, her hand reaching out to take one coin, her fingers trailing over the ridges of the object.

It wasn't that fascinating, it couldn't be, yet it seemed to captivate him so. Did this happen to all dragons? And if so, could this be used as an advantage on her part?

Something else caught her eye though, a particular mirror, hand mirror to be exact. She dropped the coin she held and walked over over, picking up the mirror in her hands as she pointed it at herself, her reflection being shown right back at her, almost like it had been in the sword. But instead of inspecting her appearance, she inspected the mirror itself. This was taken care of, very well so if she might add, but it seemed as if he cared a great deal about this, if not for the polished handle and clean slate. It was beautiful, however, she couldn't deny that. But what would he have a use for this?

"You, Amara, are not like I thought," she whispered to herself, narrowing her eyes as she turned her eyes to scan the room again. "But you're still nothing but a thieving monster, no matter how well you can't control it." She could take this from him, she could kill him, using his own gold against her, if it worked. It seemed to transfix him, so maybe that could be her way. Maybe she didn't need just brute strength. She needed her whit.

Clairty returned to Amara's mind almost as soon as he left the room and it took all his will power to continue walking foward until he was amoung his furs. He wanted to return to his hoard. He wanted the enchantment back, to let the shiny gold sing its precious song for his eyes and bring the happy haze to his mind.

He ran a claw through his hair and pushed those thoughts from his mind. He instead focused on Myla...or the lack there of. "Human" He projected his voice that rang througout the cave. It was loud--loud enough that he knew she could hear him, but otherwise non-threatening. "Your invitation to see my treasures has ended. Come out...preferably without stealing anything." He smiled wryly. "I don't want to have to kill you because you tried something so foolish."

He was almost positive that was why she was dallying, but was only half-serious about the threat. She was a treasure now too and it would be a waste to kill her. He just hoped she would take the threat seriously.

Flinching when she heard Amara's booming voice, the very sound echoing throughout the cave, reverberating here and there for her to hear, Myla nearly dropped the mirror out of sheer surprise. Luckily, she was able to keep a hold of the item, clutching it a bit to her chest before she pulled it away. The threat was evident in the dragon's voice, and though she wanted to steal, she decided against it. She didn't want to be killed this way, but not only that she knew that she would have her time to take the riches.

Heh, guess greed had gotten to her as well. It would be a lie, she knew, to think that there was no being on earth that didn't wish to have all the gold and valuable items in the world, especially to say that she herself didn't feel that way. 'But at least I don't take from other villages,' she thought, her eyes narrowing.

It might be best if she leave the place now, least it seem like she actually was trying to steal something, so gently and quickly Myla put the mirror back where she had found it, her eyes still a bit locked onto the item, but she turned away quickly and sighed. She crawled her way through, running a hand through her hair as she finally stood back up while she brushed any dirt off with her free hand. "You overestimate my concern for your treasures," she spoke to him, trying her best to make it seem that she was disinterested in the gold. "I am no thief."

Amara raised a brow at her words, not believing she was completely disinterested. And then he focused his attention on looking at her. His eyes gazed up and down her form searching for any hints of stolen objects. Finding none, he clapped his hands and smiled up at her. "It was just a helpful reminder." He said.

He leaned back into the wall. "Were you looking at something in particular, human?" The tone was not accusatory, simply curious and the closest he would be getting to small talk. He was unused to having company of any sort (seeing that dragons were fairly solitary creatures after childhood) and now that they weren't arguing he wasn't sure what to do. Not that he was going to let her know that.

Again that sense of unease couldn't help but surge through Myla's body as the feeling of being watched overtook her once again. She darted her eyes back over to Amara, her eyes narrowing at his smile. Great, so now he was trying to be civil with her, even after having just threatened to kill her if she stole anything from him? The way his attitude had suddenly changed didn't help her sense of unease either, but she figured there could be nothing done about it. Gold really held an effect on the beast, an effect that she didn't quite understand.

"No, nothing in particular per say," she stated, being cautious with what she said. "Just admiring the mass amounts of gold that you own, though have taken from others. And just a little hand mirror." She shrugged, making it seem as if she could care less. "I must say, I'm a little impressed with what you have. I didn't expect you to have that much, though I guess it can only be assumed given how much you demand from the village." And yes, she still couldn't get over that, a sense of disdain towards the beast always having been there, even at a young age.

Amara's breath hitched at the mention of a hand mirror. He had plenty of mirrors in the room, but very few hand mirrors. And his mind could only jump to a specfic one. The one with the sapphires that he took so much care for. A precious irreplacable treasure that he not only revered for its exceptional shine...but for sentimental reasons as well. He wanted to question her to determine if it was this mirrior she was talking about--the urge to protect the precious trinket strong--but he didn't. To do so would only draw additional attention to it, so he moved his attention to her other words.

"I have had three thousand years to collect my treasure. Of course I have a lot." He stated, brushing off his vast age as if it were nothing before he rolled his eyes. "And your village has nothing to do with it. My demands from you little home is nothing compared to some of the others. Even with next year's increased demand."

The way his breath hitched did not go unnoticed my Myla, the action causing her to raise her brows in surprise. So had she struck a nerve with him, or mentioned something that was particularly precious to him. It could have just been the gold, but that was too common of a thing for him to fret over. The mirror, possibly? The thought made her snort and shake her head.

Three thousand years? Her eyes raked over his frame, not at all able to see how he could be such an old figure. Apparently age did nothing for him, but it seemed a bit understandable. He wasn't human, no matter the way he looked now, and dragons lived for a while, no? "We have to have something to do with your wealth, no matter how small the amount is, so don't make it seem as if we have done nothing."

Amara smiled as he felt her inspecting him for signs of age. He considered explaining how it was for his kind, but quickly squashed the thought from his mind. It would be such a hassle and really not something the human needed to understand. And her next words distracted from it anyways.

The look of contempt on his face could not be contained. "Why are you even care about them? They obviously didn't care about you. You weren't a volunteer for this did you? No. You were tied up. They tied you up to send you what you all--including yourself--to be certain death. The man that presented you to me wasn't he also your father? Tell me, was it him who also tied you up? Did he even fight to keep you? Why would you care about those who tried to sentence you to death by dragon?"

He then paused in his speech, his own mind searching for a logical answer to this question. Finding only one, his gaze softened and a troubled expression graced his face. "Unless you have a mate and hatchling still there?" It made sense to him. She was the right age for it, after all.

The look of sheer contempt that swept across the dragon's features angered Myla, but not only had his look angered her, it was the words he spoke. Yet, though they angered her, they hit a nerve within her body, sending her quick frustration into one of anxious worry. A twisting feeling began to well in the pit of her stomach as the images of the villagers swept across her mind, the image bringing into focus her family. The way her father had treated her, the way her brothers didn't defend her, and the way her mother spoke nothing in return to what they were doing to her. It was sickening, but she knew he was right.

There were no reasons for her to defend her village, not after what they had done to her, thrown her to her death, but she couldn't help it and she couldn't understand why. Was it just her loyalty to her home place, despite how badly she was treated there? Possibly, but it still wasn't right.

"Because I am loyal to my village. I may not be one of the most well liked women in the village, and I myself find many of the people to be sheer fools and sexist pigs, however it is still my home. I care not for the people, but I do for the village." Even as she spoke the words herself did Myla find herself questioning her words. It was confusing, something she would more than likely never be able to understand, but that was the jist of how she felt. Yes, she could have run away and been on her own, left the village without a second dance, but had she done that, surely she wouldn't be alive now. Then again, she probably wouldn't have found herself in this situation either. It was still her place of living, a place that she was most comfortable with. Her home...

But his other question struck another cord within the woman, her brows twitching in slight irritation now. "No. I have neither a husband nor children in the village." And she doubted she ever would, however, Myla was fine with that. "As I said before, my loyalty lye not with the people, but the place itself."

"Mate and hatchling." His voice automatically corrected, shaking his head. He just had a general distaste for the human word equivilants. Husband was a much weaker word. Less offical and meaningful like the word mate. And hatchling was just a better fitting. Little ones hatched and to call them anything else was simply idiotic.

The shake of his head halted and a baffled look crossed his face as he processed that Myla pledged her loyalty to the place. Humans were so weird and he couldn't understand them. "What about the place? Is it the ground? The buildings? I...don't understand what you mean. A place is just place. You can't be loyal to it." His head tilted to the side as he stared curiously.

"Husband and child," she corrected back, another bout of defiance coming from her tone. Of course he would think of such things to be a mate and hatchling though; that was how the dragon's referred to their partners and the like. Nevertheless, it was odd to think of it in such a way. Mate made it seem as if they were some type of animal, and while humans technically were, that wasn't their way of thinking. And hatchling? Well, humans weren't exactly born from eggs.

This just made her realize how different the two were from each other.

His puzzled gaze and words did nothing to ease Myla's apprehension for the situation, nor did it make her previous statement about the village any more clear. "I don't know, honestly," She spoke slowly, her mind pondering on the thought. "It's just... A connection I have to my village. I can't explain it really, but perhaps the loyalty I feel towards the village can be said about the way you feel for your gold and treasures? You are just drawn to the object because of your nature, no? I guess I can say the same about my village, in a way. It is something that is indescribable." She couldn't be exactly sure if what he felt about his treasures was loyalty, but maybe it could be, or at least how she thought about it. There was no doubt that he would protect the object no matter the cost, despite how they were just object. That was what being loyal to something meant, right? Protecting it no matter what, for reasons only they knew?

Amara nodded after her explaination. He could accept and understand that. He doubted it was the same. Humans moved about and he knows travling caravans exist...so maybe the pull wasn't universal. But if his human felt it, he couldn't condem her for it. "I will not destroy it then. Even if it should fail to meet my demands."

He then made a slight grumble, "And you can still use the word husband." he practically spit out the word, not liking it one bit. "But little ones are still hatchlings. Why do you even have another word for it?" That was a point he would not concede on.

Myla gave a slight nod to his statement, a sense of ease rushing through her as he assured her that he wouldn't burn the village down to a crisp should they not be able to get his gold, which she figure would be all but impossible to complete, given how things were slowly beginning to deteriorate in terms of the gold that the village owned. It was a shame really. A few misjudgments here and there, and now look where the village saw them. Having to stack and save for more gold then they had ever had to give him.

The entire situation was a mess in its own self, but she doubted if anything could have happened to change the events. They were just... Unlucky. Very unlucky.

Now, it was her turn to give the puzzled look, her eyes nearly rolling as he seemed to give her permission about being able to use the word husband, yet not being able to use the word child. "I will call them want, both the husband and the children because it is what I have been taught," she spoke. "We humans don't call the little ones hatchlings because we do not come from eggs, therefore, we do not hatch. So the word has no meaning to us, since it is something that we do not do, and that will not change."

Amara's eyes widened and his jaws dropped. It took him a long moment moment before he breathed in...maybe she didn't know. "What so you mean you don't come from eggs?" He finally asked after a long moment. Sure he never really spent times with humans and found their affairs overwhelmingly distintersting. But he has seen the eggs (but admittedly never a hatching) before. "I have seen them. You keep them in huts outside and train the chickens to guard them." He crossed his arms, not believing that he had to explain this.

His face scruched, "And sometimes people steal and eat them. It is a barbaric practice that I don't understand."

He had to be kidding right? He couldn't possibly be serious about what he had just said? Oh, there surely was a difference between the lives of dragons and humans, their ways vastly different than each others, though Myla had before thought that he had at least a little sense of what humans did. After all, he seemed to want to scare them enough, and obviously he went to many villages, seeing many people, in order to get his riches. Apparently he hadn't paid that much attention to them, even after thousands of years of being on this Earth?

It was actually funny to think of it that way, to think that this beast actually thought that humans laid eggs. Ha, the thought was preposterous! Yes, she herself knew nothing of dragons and their customs save for the few, really only one thing, Amara had taught her today, and it had only been about the gold and how dragons had this unnecessary need to have shiny objects. But, this did make her realize something.

The two knew nothing of each other's race.

A laugh broke through her lips after he stopped speaking, and incredulous look crossing her features. She didn't hide the amusement behind her laughter, nor did she want to hide it. It came out mocking after a while, but once she was able to get a bearing on her laughter, she calmed herself down. "You obviously have no idea of how we humans work, even if you try to replicate us with your looks in that form." She looked up and down, as if to emphasize her point. "Those eggs that are guarded by the chickens come from the chickens, not humans. That is why the chickens are so protective of them; because they are theirs, and it is only their instinct. And yes, we do consume them, but we do not steal them, we merely take the unfertilized ones, the ones without a soul or 'little being' inside them. Those eggs are food, so there is nothing barbaric about it. We need them to survive." The last sentence was stated in a matter of fact way, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.