Share A Word :D

• Thread starter Hikari-chan (光ちゃん)
  • Start date
H

Hikari-chan (光ちゃん)

Original poster
Share an English word that you think is not very commonly known to people.

Lampoon.

I don't think it's very common.

Asinine

Definition: Extremely stupid or foolish.

heliacal

an astronomy term meaning in relation to or of close proximity to sun

Kinda proud of myself now as I know all of these despite not being a native English speaker :D Though I only know eschew thanks to Dungeons and Dragons feat 'Eschew materials.' Never seen it used outside of this context.

Anyway, maybe gammer? That means 'old woman' and I also see it once in a blue moon.

gibbous

having a hump. more than half of the moon is visible.

GROANING-CHEESE

Back in the day, husbands didn't just hold their wives' hands during childbirth—they gave them the medieval version of an epidural: Cheese. Groaning-cheese was said to soothe a lady in labor, and so husbands paired it with groaning-cake and groaning-drink.

• Thank You
Reactions: determinator
GROANING-CHEESE

Back in the day, husbands didn't just hold their wives' hands during childbirth—they gave them the medieval version of an epidural: Cheese. Groaning-cheese was said to soothe a lady in labor, and so husbands paired it with groaning-cake and groaning-drink.
The image I got for this is amazing.

Logorrhea and phylactery.
Logorrhea is an extreme or unnecessary flow of words or loquaciousness, iirc. It's also a disorder in psychology.
Phylactery is more genre-specific; usually it's used in references to magical amulets or those mysterious glowing items wizened old wizards carry. It's also a speech scroll.

I bet most people have heard the former in fantasy in reference to what a lich protects its soul (and life) from, and a vial of mage's blood (a la Dragon Age). Adding to the lich bit, I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in (fantasy?) alchemy to be a holder of one's soul to achieve immortality.
It's also the English word for a Tefillin, which is basically a black box full of parchment with verses of the Torah on them, worn for morning prayer. (I'm not Jewish, so correct me if I'm wrong here.)

/backflips away

Serendipity

the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

Oh and one that people think they know, but they don't seem to.

Irony/ironic
1)the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

2)a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

Most of the time what people mean is 'appropriate', which is literally the opposite.

Beleaguer

To cause constant or repeated trouble for (a person, business, etc.)

To harass; beset.

Baroque
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/baroque?s=t

It has 7 definitions, but I use it in the non-classical sense of being overly ornate as to be in bad taste.
It's also one of those words that sounds as the part it plays as. It's a cacophony that doesn't sit right though it's a fancy word.

interlocutor

one who takes part in dialogue or conversation

traditionally, this is the role assigned to participants in philosophical debates; see Nichomachean Ethics, Plato's Republic, and various other Philosophy 101 texts

How ironic.
Serendipity

the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

Oh and one that people think they know, but they don't seem to.

Irony/ironic
1)the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

2)a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

Most of the time what people mean is 'appropriate', which is literally the opposite.

Literally

In an exact manner or sense.

Regardless

Without paying attention to the present situation; despite the prevailing circumstances.

Hmm... Here's a whole pile of words I never see used.

Sanguinary, Vivacious, Unstaunched, Hemic, Imperturbable, Zappy, Industrious, Whimsical, Flippant, Frolicsome, Effervescent, Replete, Zestful, Blithe, Mirthful, Jocund, Jaunty, Daffy, Facetious, Joshing, Waggish, Convivial, Genial, Gay (when not used as a term for homosexuals), Peppy, Jubilant, Perky (in a non-sexual manner), Carnivalesque, Carnivorousness, Insouciant, Rollicking, Sparkling (when not used to mock Twilight)...

... Is that enough? Because I could go on unto perpetuity, I think.

Meticulous, Scrutiny.