Shards Chapter 1 - How it all began... (IC)

George chuckled at the ludicrosity of his situation; he'd just witnessed the death of innocent townsmen and fought his mercenary, yet here he was being offered a jewel for a girlfriend. How incredibly, wonderfully trivial, he thought.

"You've mistaken me, kind sir. To clarify; do you have any gems of the magical variety?" George asked lightly, warming to the man.

The Bazaar

market_by_fetsch-d3g4ynt.jpg

It was a grandiose place explosive with colors, smells and sights. Merchants and their stalls stretched on as far as one could see - and it seemed like whatever one would seek, one would find here - whether gems, food, company or else... All one has to do is have a look around as nothing seems obvious... Or maybe ask one of the merchants. Or Drayko could also go hang with George, who he could identify talking to a merchant.

-----

The merchant grinned. "Ah, yes, magical gems... Follow me." He got up, and opened the way inside his tent, holding it for George to enter.

After searching for a bookstore near the entrance, Drayko entered the Bazaar and caught a short glimpse of George's clothing out of the corner of his eye. He walked towards him and decided to follow him into the tent after having heard the tail end of George's short conversation with the merchant. Drayko did need a few more Indigo gems but he should ask Sir George if he wished for a companion first. "Hello Sir George," he called softly from a few feet away. "Do you very much mind if I join you on your excursion?" If George did not wish for company, Drayko would just continue to explore the town.

George turned to see his comrade standing some distance away, and chuckled. "No need to be so formal, my dear friend. We've been through enough together, you may call me George if you wish." He then gestured to the merchant who was waiting patiently in the folds of the tent, informing him he just needed to quickly talk to his companion. He strode towards Drayko and leaned in close, his voice but a whisper. "I shouldn't have left you and the others back there, it was a momentary lack of judgement. We're safer together like this." He glanced quickly toward the man by the tent, who was awaiting his return quietly. "I may seem somewhat paranoid, but with the encounters we've had nothing is out of the question. You keep an eye on the entrance to the tent and I'll keep mine on the man; there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary but better be prepared, eh?" he smiled and laughed so as to give the impression he and Drayko had simply shared a joke, and returned to the merchant. "I hope you don't mind if my companion here joins me, he too is interested in the magical gems. May we enter?"

@CrimsonLaurana @Yiyæl

The merchant nodded, smiling. "The more the merrier!"

"I appreciate your patience, kind sir" said George in response, following the man into his tent.

Inside the tent, the lighting was much dimmer - creating a cozy, warm, amicable ambiance. Crates, bits and baubles were everywhere, with a desk in the middle of the place at which the merchant seated himself... pulling an object from under.

"This is the most precious gem I have..."

Opening his hand, it revealed a three-inch tall amethyst carved into the shape of a beautiful woman, complemented with smaller gems like topaz and sapphire, and even decorated with thin silk.

The merchant looked back at the men, eyebrows risen... George could feel he wasn't serious though.

George examined the man's face; he seemed to simply want to please, and this was but a joke to serve as both an ice-vreaker and to show off his wares. Narcissism didn't appeal much to George, though he liked a good sense of humour.

"My, that is rather magical. Though I believe you and I both know what I truly mean.." George trailed off, reluctant to reveal he had some of his own already.

Last edited by a moderator:
The man started laughing, slapping his knee. "HA you're the first one to catch on this quick. Just a second..."

He put the crystalline statue aside, instead pulling out some sort of large carpet. Unrolling it, there were plenty of crystals, each held by a string; orange, yellow, green, blue and indigo. They all were of various sizes - from thumbnail-sized to fistfuls, and a notable Blue crystal at the very edge of the display that was as big as George's forearm. "Like what you see?"

Drayko was slightly taken aback. He had thought since he was a little (overly) formal that none of his companions would wish to call him friend, but this was a nice surprise. One he hadn't even thought was very probable but was glad had happened. He smiled slightly at George and agreed with his plan to be cautious. "There is no such thing as overly cautious," he said as he chuckled. "There is staying on your toes to stay ahead so you do not get killed and there's dead. Usually no in between." Drayko was watching the entrance to the tent very carefully when he heard George remark about something magical and watched, out of the corner of his eye, the merchant flip the carpet. He walked toward George while keeping an eye on the door and whispered in his ear. "When you get some gems for yourself, would you please buy me some as well. One of each size if you please. I slipped my money bag into your pocket and what change he gives you for them, you can keep if you want." Drayko had said it in his ear quickly and then went back to watching the entrance with his full attention.

George's eyes widened at such a vast array of crystals. He steadied his thought and spoke. "How much might each of these be, good sir?" he asked, hoping for a bargain but knowing due to their rarity they were probably awfully expensive.

"They're obviously not the same price, they vary. Make your pick and we'll discuss prices."

"How much in total for one of each of the thumbnail sized crystals, and how much for the big blue?" George queried.

The man went wide-eyed. "You... actually want the big blue? Tell you what - four hundred fifty for one of the thumbnail-sized gems of all seven colors and I toss that one for free, since you're such a spendthrift."

Rennfield began to wander, with no particular objective, tossing a grey stone up and down in his head, not paying heed to much around him.
He had become impatient in his old age, and was infuriated by his lack of understanding of grey magic. He dipped his head and walked on.
Perhaps there was a cathedral somewhere, where he could find some solace.