SB: Testing

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

kixinorbit

pigeons in a trenchcoat
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Online Availability
varies
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
low/high fantasy, medieval fantasy, historical fantasy, sci-fi, cyberpunk, solarpunk, grimdark, gothic-horror, supernatural themes, limited fandoms, adventure

sDVEXh8.png

kFQmh6v.png

The year is 1725 and King Louis XV sits on the French Throne. Spats and quarrels continue throughout Europe. People are, more and more,
becoming slaves of high fashion and, for those who can afford it, luxury is becoming widely available. Duels settle scores of honour in the
upper class and it is a time of pleasure gardens and blood sports. Crowds flock to beautiful gardens and superb markets, while others
entertain cruel matches between beasts for fun and profit. The upper class is indulgent, while the emerging middle class struggles to make
its way, and the poor scrape by as they always have. In the South, Marseille is ravaged by plague and walls are erected around the
countryside in attempts to stem the spread of the sickness.

Far and away, nestled in the Vosges Mountains on the northeastern side of France, is the Sauveterre Estate. While the residents here are
removed from the clamor of life in the cities, they still live in the lap of luxury. The isolation of the estate helps keep sickness and politics at
bay, but the residents here need hardly worry about such matters. They are more concerned with art and music, with parties and pretense,
and with intrigue and scandal. Above all, they concern themselves with keeping the secrets behind their unusual bloodline...

kFQmh6v.png

• GM: @DinoFeather
    Co-GM: @Rook
    Genre: Historical Fiction/Fantasy, Supernatural Elements, Gothic, Horror Elements, Dark Comedy
    Keywords: Vampires, Drama, Scandal, Action, Murder, Supernatural, Affairs, Horror, Dark Comedy
    Warnings: Murder, Violence, Language, Implication, Blood
    Writing Level: Advanced
    Posting Frequency: Moderate to Slow (1-2x weekly)
    Restrictions: 18+ strongly preferred

Hello and welcome to Sanguine Bonds! This is a historical fantasy RP with vampires and other supernatural elements. As noted above, this is an advanced level role play with a moderate to slow posting rate. While I would prefer all players to be 18+, exceptions may be made. Because this is historical fantasy, I do expect players to have some grasp of the time period. Every detail does not have to be period accurate, I've taken some obvious liberties, but please be mindful of technology and customs of the time. If you are in doubt, Google it!

This RP will largely follow a group of vampires from the Sauveterre Bloodline. Later in the story other races may be included, though it largely depends on the direction in which the story progresses. I want to give players some say in the plot development, but I also want to keep the story and original idea intact. Hard decisions, I know. That said, I will likely leave decisions up for a vote though I reserve the final say-- especially when a decision cannot be reached.

This RP shouldn't be overly dark. I know when some people think of vampires, they think of broody, serious characters that would make any edge-lord envious... Those aren't the kind of vampires I'm looking for in this RP. Mostly, I want an air of realism. They are were humans and have human flaws. They are not all-powerful and they are not dark and broody. Not most of them, anyway.

That said, expect the RP to have a dark and somewhat dry sense of humour throughout.

Also expect sabotage, scandal, affairs, duels, elegant parties, and murder.

If you don't cope well with cheating, affairs, and violence this may not be an ideal RP for you. Just a heads up.

(And yes, there is a joke in the title.)

• The Rules:
    1. All Iwaku rules apply!
    2. No hijacking other characters.
    3. Your characters are not impervious to damage.
    4. You may not kill another character without player and GM permission.
    5. Sexual scenes may only take place in PMs.
    6. Be respectful to the other players and the GM/Co-GM.
    7. You must meet posting level expectations to remain in the RP.***
    8. As the GM, I reserve the right to remove any player at any time for any reason.
    9. Listen to the GM/Co-GM.
    10. Keep a sense of humour and have fun!
    *** If something comes up and you need an extension or whatnot, just let me know! Life happens-- I just need a heads up before you vanish so we can make arrangement for your character(s).

Expectations:
    As this is an advanced RP, I expect all players to meet the posting level requirements. What that means is that I expect posts to be coherent writing that utilizes correct grammar, spelling, and syntax. I do not expect novels for posts-- I do want to make that clear. I think detail and description is great, but too much can actually hinder writing. What do I mean by that? Well, when some players post upwards up fifteen paragraphs, it can slow down an RP and make responses difficult for others.

That in mind, I expect posts to be a minimum of two to three paragraphs in length and a maximum of eight to ten. (If you go over on the occasion, no worries. Please just don't make a habit of super, super long posts.) I'm not going to get into the definition of a paragraph, because a sentence number is silly. A paragraph discusses a theme or idea-- in as many sentences as needed. (Within reason.)

Please do not post three two sentence paragraphs and call it good-- that's not going to fly. You need to give other players enough to work with and respond to. Use of dialogue is helpful and encouraged, as is reasonable detail and description.

I also expect players to contribute to the story and help move the plot along. If everyone just dicks around and their characters make no decisions and take no actions, this RP is going to drag. When needed, I will do my best to keep things moving, but I want a lot of the decisions to be the players'.

• The only playable race right now is vampire. If you want to make a second character that is another race, please PM me with your idea and we will see what can be worked out. Please note that your non-vampire character will probably not come into the RP until later on.

Vampires

Vampires have reflections, and they rather like looking in mirrors. Vampires can swim and are perfectly capable of crossing running water. They have no aversion to religious relics or symbols, but many do find them to be rather tawdry. Holy water will do nothing more than get them wet. No one smells great swathed in garlic, but it's not going to deter a vampire from attacking. They may, however, try to avoid conversation if you've consumed large amounts of it. The only aversion vampires have to silver is in the form of gaudy jewelry or décor. Whatever you've heard about vampires and the aforementioned wives' tales, they simply aren't true. Actually, many vampires perpetuate these myths, as it makes the common folk much less suspicious of them, and it's not uncommon for a vampire to ensure that they're glimpsed in a mirror or strolling over a bridge.

There are, however, stories that are true.

Vampires cannot go about in the sun. Place a vampire in direct sun in the middle of the day, and in less than a minute you'll have a burnt, bloody, scab of a corpse. There is no elegant turning to ash or instant vaporization. Burning is a painful, blistering, graphic death. Dawn and dusk are, fortunately, more forgiving. Vampires can go about in the indirect light for brief periods, so long as no direct sunlight touches them. Should they stay out for more than thirty minutes or so, they will slowly start to burn. Much longer than an hour and they are going to be in some serious and probably debilitating pain. Once the sun is properly up, it simply isn't safe for a vampire to be out of doors. When the sun is setting and its light is weak, a vampire might wander outside if they can remain in the shadows. Even in fading sun, a vampire only has about five minutes of survival time—and half of that will be spent on the ground, writhing in pain as they burn. (If you want to inflict a slow and torturous death, sunrise and sunset are the way to go. Just make sure you time them well.)

Vampires do have to be given permission to enter a home or they simply cannot cross the threshold (or enter windows or whathaveyou). No one is sure exactly what governs this unusual rule, but most vampires regard it as a sense of etiquette and embrace it. The same does not hold true for shops or establishments that are not considered a home, and a vampire may enter as a patron unbidden by the owner or proprietor. In the event a vampire wishes to enter a shop or public house where individuals live or are staying, the vampire may enter the public area, however they may not cross into living areas or private rooms (inns) unless they are invited.

For whatever reason, a wooden or silver stake through the heart negates a vampire's abilities. While a stake is embedded in the heart, a vampire falls into a paralyzed state. Upon the removal of the stake, the vampire will reawaken, though it will take them considerable time and several feedings to restore their former strength and abilities.

Vampires heal very quickly, though this ability is dependent upon how recently they've fed. More blood equates to faster healing. They are able to recover from dismemberment and even decapitation, but it will take time and they will need considerable amounts of blood to recover from the latter.

While many vampires prefer to sleep in elegant coffins, some prefer beds. At the estate, the majority of the residents tend toward beds, as the bedchambers have been appropriately draped and covered to ensure safety during the daylight hours. There are some vampires that prefer the close quarters and complete darkness of a coffin and, when staying in an unfamiliar or unsecured place, coffins are highly recommended.

All vampires possess exceptional low-light vision, as well as slightly enhanced speed and strength in comparison to a standard human, but nothing to great excess. Each vampire, upon turning, has a power that manifests itself. Some are given vastly increased speed, incredible strength, hypnosis, partial invisibility, etc. Some vampires have similar gifts, while others are truly unique.

Vampires are also capable of transforming into a nocturnal (or semi-nocturnal) animal. They are not limited to bats, though the animal is almost always winged. A vampire has no control over what their transformation form will be, though it is thought to be a sort of reflection of their inner self. Mastering the ability to control their transformation takes extensive practice, and not every vampire uses it regularly—or at all.

Vampires need blood to live. At the barest minimum, a vampire needs to feed twice a month-- and that is to maintain a semblance of functionality. Vampires who prefer to do as little hunting as possible feed once a week, which is enough to comfortably maintain their powers and quality of life. Other vampires who enjoy hunting or have easily available sources will feed twice a week. Still others, who are more indulgent and live for the thrill of a hunt, feed almost every night. If a vampire is injured or in the process of healing, the need blood every night for several days in a row—depending upon the severity of their injury. Often, if one of the family is injured and at the estate, they remain in bed while blood is brought to them to help them recover quickly. Drinking blood from a dead creature will not kill a vampire, though if the blood has already coagulated, it is of no sustenance; the texture is also a nightmare. If a vampire drinks the blood of another vampire, they receive little to no sustenance from it, but it does result in a state of intoxication.

Vampires do age, but very slowly. Age works roughly on a basis of ten; for example, if a vampire lived to 600, they would be around 60 in human years. They may look "good for their age" but vampires will slowly age, and their abilities will slowly wane. When they start looking to be in their 50s-60s, they visibly stop aging. If they take care of themselves, their health and abilities will not decline further. However, if they feed too often or not often enough, or if they become careless or fail to take care of their physical bodies, they will continue to decline.

Because vampires age so slowly and in a way different than humans, it is strictly forbidden to turn a child. Yes, a child would very slowly age, but they would only ever reach the size of a young teenager. The body, once turned, is unable to produce enough hormones for the child to go through puberty, and would never reach full maturity. While no one in the family is to create vampires except the Grand Sire, it would be an even greater sin to turn a child. If a child is turned, by one family or another, the child must be destroyed—along with the vampire who created it. The same is said for any children conceived between a vampire and a human. The longer an individual has been a vampire, the less able they are to contribute to the conception of a child. New vampires are the ones most likely to bring about trouble in this regard, and ongoing relations with humans are discouraged for a myriad of reasons. Namely, if they are found to have contributed to the conception of or have conceived a child and have taken no action, both the vampire and the child are punishable by death.

Other
    WIP

• YKJ0RFNtf1vXdVhHXqZnDpazuxRCjsbTgBJEclAQQp2bQCkz7O3zyv-LARFtl_3YnSSRG0gkP-q79Pw=w1920-h950

kFQmh6v.png
    The general setting is 1725 in western Europe. While the Sauveterre Estate is located in eastern France, the story may lead to any number of cities and countries. While there is some push for historical accuracy, we will not delve deeply into political affairs of the European countries. There will be allusions and mentions now and then, but please do not feel overly pressured by this. You shouldn't have to do more than a quick Google to find information about fashion or technology of the time. With the Estate being so far east, little more than gossip of spats between England, France, and Spain affect the residents.

The Sauveterre Estate is located in northeastern France, very near the German border. It is located on the eastern side of the Vosges Mountains, where it remains largely protected through its isolation. The estate is, in reality, a small castle—the result of nearly three centuries' accumulation of wealth and influence. The Sauveterre Estate has upwards of thirty rooms, including private apartments for the residents, quarters for the servants, a ballroom, a library, a great hall, an observatory, courtyard gardens, numerous guest rooms, bathrooms and boudoirs, an elaborate bathing room , pantries, larders, and kitchens. Of course, the latter of these amenities are used for the servants and for hosting grand parties and masquerades. All bedchambers are outfitted with heavy curtains to effectively block sunlight during the day, ensuring safety during sleep. It also permits the residents to be up and about during daylight hours, should they so choose.

kFQmh6v.png

The servants of the Estate presented a peculiar issue. It was realized upon the acquirement and completion of the Estate that servants and housekeepers would be required to maintain it. While this would be of little issue for most wealthy Estate owners, for a vampire it was an obstacle that required extensive thought. Risking discovery and exposure, Salvadore sought out peasants who possessed no living family members and brought them to the Estate to serve in exchange for lodging, protection, and a life better than they could have otherwise imagined. Fortunately, many of those taken in cared little about the peculiar ailment of their master and proved to be loyal servants. Many of the current servants are descendants of the original people who were taken in by Salvadore, though new faces are brought in every so often. There is a careful selection process to ensure no one will defect or spread rumours about the residents of the Estate.

In the nearly two centuries spent at the Estate, only one servant has ever tried to compromise those who live there. It was, however, not the vampires that dealt with the dissenting maid, but the other servants. Overall, the serving staff is loyal to Salvadore and his bloodline, guaranteed protection from the family and from vampires of other lines. The servants are aware of what their masters are, but a life of comfort and fair treatment keep the people content. Some of the servants are willing to let the family drink from them, and there are even a few of them who hope they might be selected to join the bloodline.

• kFQmh6v.png

Chapter I:
    A Family Gathering

Salvadore d'Est Sauveterre, Grand Sire of the Sauveterre Bloodline, is missing. While it is not unusual for a vampire to
    vanish now and then on trips or extended hunts, it has been over two months since the Grand Sire was last seen and
    no one was made privy to any travel plans prior to his disappearance. The family has heard nothing from or of him.
    As Salvadore was the patriarch of the family, his disappearance has caused some disturbance among the Sauveterres.

Rumours of foul play and whispers of treachery have begun to circulate around the French countryside and even those
    outside of the Sauveterre family have caught wind of the disappearance. In order to keep up appearances and resolve
    the mounting tension between the family members, a note of request has gone out to all members of the Sauveterre
    Bloodline, insisting that they report to the Sauveterre Estate. Of course, prying some family members out of a comfortable
    city dwelling can prove difficult, and, in an effort to persuade them, a grand masquerade has been planned at the Estate.

Amidst the efforts to assemble the family at the Estate, other rumours have begun to creep through villages and small
    towns in the mountains. Strange occurrences have many of the villagers growing ever more afraid of venturing out
    after sundown, though the simple folk of the villages are, by nature, superstitious. It's likely that their stories of odd
    shadows and vanishing livestock are based on nothing more than the natural predators of the region, made more
    frightening by the shortened days of approaching winter...

• WIP

• Grand Sire
    Name:
    Salvadore d'Este Sauveterre
    Age Turned:Undisclosed
    Nationality: Italian
    Languages: Italian, French, English, German (Conversational), Romanian (Conversational)
    Ability:
    Transformation:
    Serotine Bat
    Background:
    Originally a Margrave of Este, Salvadore was made a vampire around the 1100s. After his transformation, Salvadore left Italy with a considerable amount of his family's wealth to accompany his Sire in traveling and acquiring lands. Little has been disclosed about Salvadore's past, as he has a tendency to redirect the conversation away from himself. What is known is that in the early 1400s, Salvadore took up residence in France and acquired lands and estate, which he had restored and expanded upon. When he took up residence in the estate, he adopted the surname "Sauveterre" to better meet the sensibilities of French nobility and wealth.

Despite being a creature so often reviled by society, Salvadore is a kind individual who insists upon etiquette and dignity. He has placed strict rules on his family, indicating that they are to hunt no more than what is needed and to treat others, including humans, with the utmost respect. He is respectful of life and often prefers to drink the blood of willing servants—in order to prevent unnecessary loss of life. When he does hunt, he delights in killing the corrupt, and will seek out people of power who are particularly cruel. He has a taste for luxury and is fond of hosting elaborate parties and masquerades, though this is partially to scout out potential prey. He is also fond of the arts and insists that all member of the bloodline be educated. Even the servants in the estate are literate, as he prefers to make immaculate impressions.

Name: Colette Teffaine d'Este Sauveterre
    Age Turned: 21
    Nationality: French
    Languages: French, Italian (Conversational), English (Polite)
    Ability: Duplicate -- can make copies of herself
    Transformation:
    Lesser Mouse-Eared Bat (Seldom Used)
    Manipulative and vain
    WIP

Name: Charlotte Frethorne d'Este Sauveterre "Lotte"
    Age Turned: 20
    Nationality: English
    Languages: English, French, Italian (Conversational)
    Ability: Song – lulls people into a light trance or sleep
    Transformation: Common Nightingale
    Pleasant and helpful
    WIP

• Bastien d'Este Sauveterre -- @DinoFeather
    Matteo Gabriele dal Malatesta d'Este Sauveterre -- @DinoFeather

More to come! (Especially as characters are accepted!)

• Please post your CS application in this thread for review and I will get to it ASAP.

Just a reminder that this is an advanced RP and I expect applications to be spell-checked and use proper grammar and punctuation. If there are a few typos here and there (and typos happen, I totally understand), I'll likely ask you to correct them. If anything stands out to me as not fitting with the RP, I will ask you to make revisions. Please don't take this personally-- I just want the characters to mesh well with the RP.

I hate the idea of having to reject a character application-- but I will do it.

If your writing is riddled with mistakes (lack of proper grammar, capitalization, punctuation, or use of wrong word choice, etc.), I will probably make the decision that you're not an ideal candidate for this RP. This isn't intended to be mean, but I want to prevent frustration by making sure everyone is writing around the same level.

Again, telling someone that they are not ideal for an RP is super difficult and I don't like doing it. I want to give everyone a chance, but if I just don't think you'll work well with the RP, I will reject the CS.

Oh, and this also applies to rude behaviour! You could submit the most amazing CS I've ever seen, but if you're an ass to me, or to any of the other writers/players, I'm still going to reject your CS. If you've already been accepted, but you start acting like a douche-canoe, you will be asked to leave the RP.

Thank you for understanding!

Character Name -- If your character had no last name prior to being turned, it becomes d'Este Sauveterre. Otherwise, d'Este Sauveterre is added to the end.

Age -- Unless you've talked to me and we've discussed a character, your character should not be older than 250.

Nationality – Where they are from before joining the Sauveterre line.

Ability – Be reasonable with this! I don't want any crazy-powerful characters because that's just not fun for anyone. Your character can (and likely will) get injured or be beaten in a fight at some point!

Appearance – Pictures are not required, but they are encouraged. Please use ART for your (character) images! I know some people really like to use images of real people, but I'm just not a fan of using a real person's face. Not sure why, but it weirds me out and I really would prefer that you use art. That said, please do not use pictures of anime characters. If the style of the art is somewhat influenced by anime or manga it's probably fine. As an example—this is fine. This is not.

In addition to an image, please include a short, written description of your character.

Transformation -- Must be a smallish animal that is native to the region your character is from; it doesn't have to be exclusively nocturnal, but it should be active at night at least some of the time. Please include a picture or a link to a picture in your CS. (Note: when vampires transform and change back, they retain the clothing they were wearing. Because magic.)

Personality – I don't need a novel written here, but a general overview is helpful. A few short paragraphs would be more than sufficient here. Also, if you describe your character as cheerful and bubbly, then your character should act that way at least part of the time. I understand that characters change and develop (character development <3), but personalities tend to change slowly. You may also edit this as your character develops-- if you'd like, that is.

Biography – Please provide at least three solid paragraphs here! This serves as a sort of writing sample (especially if I can't find other posts you've written) and helps me determine your writing ability. Also, please be reasonable with this and keep your biographies realistic. People and families regularly died early in this time period and life could be very difficult. However, I don't want to read tragedy after tragedy after tragedy to the point of monotony. (Also, please try to keep it fewer than ten to twelve paragraphs. I don't need an entire life history and family tree.)

Skills and Shortcomings – What your character is good at. What do they take pride in? Where are they not so talented? Do they have any skills not mentioned anywhere else?

Miscellaneous – Anything else you want to add about your character? Do they have any land holdings or the like? Any comments or funny bits of info to share?

Okay, so— I'm not amazing at coding (as you can see by the coding done here) but the lovely and wonderful @Elle Joyner was kind enough to design an editable CS code, which I have included below.

You do NOT have to use the code, but if you would like to, please do! If you need help with the editing, I will do my very, very best. All colours and images can be edited, and it's all neatly compiled into a nice, clean layout. My favourite.

Only thing—the image sizes used should be 241 x 600 and 382 x 195. (Or at least that's what worked for me.) If you do use this code, you need to do all your editing in Notepad then paste it into Iwaku!

Code:
    [div=max-width:1200px !important; height:600px; color:#c29878 ; font-size:9pt; font-family:book antiqua; text-align:justify;]
    [div=width:20%; display:inline-block; height:inherit; background:url(https://placeholdit.imgix.net/~text?txtsize=33&txt=169%C3%97650&w=169&h=650); background-size:100%; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:center 38%; margin-bottom:5px; vertical-align:top; overflow-y:auto; align:left;][div=padding:15px;][div=font-size:12pt; vertical-align:bottom; display:inline;][div=display:inline-block; width:64%;]test[/div][/div][/div][/div][div=vertical-align:top; width:32%; margin-right:1%; display:inline-block; height:inherit; ;][div=height:195px; background:url(https://placeholdit.imgix.net/~text?txtsize=33&txt=269%C3%97195&w=269&h=195); background-size:100%; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:center 38%; margin-bottom:5px; margin-left:5px;][/div][div=height:195px; background:#203A45; margin-bottom:5px; overflow-y:auto; border:2px solid #596164; margin-left:5px;][div=padding:10px; font-size:8pt; letter-spacing:1.25px; line-height:9.5pt;][font=Lato][div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;][font=Fondamento][b]✵NAME[/b][/font][/div][hr=border:2px solid #596164][/hr]
    [div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;][b]Age[/b][/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]Number[/div][/div][div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;][b]Age Turned[/b][/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]Number[/div][/div][div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;][b]Nationality[/b][/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]Word[/div][/div]
    [div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;][b]Ability[/b][/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]Word[/div][/div][div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;][b]Transformation[/b][/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]Word[/div][/div]
    [div=padding:0px;][div=width:47%; margin-right:2%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; font-size:7pt;][b]Languages[/b][/div][div=width:50%; display:inline-block; vertical-align:top; text-align:left;]Word(s)[/div][/div][/font][/div][font=Lato][/font][/div][div=height:195px; background:url(https://placeholdit.imgix.net/~text?txtsize=33&txt=269%C3%97195&w=269&h=195); background-size:auto; background-position:43%; margin-left:5px;][/div]
    [/div][div=width:45%; display:inline-block; height:inherit; background:#596164; vertical-align:top; overflow-y:auto;][div=padding:10px; font-size:8pt; letter-spacing:1.25px; line-height:9.5pt;][font=Lato][div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;][font=Fondamento][b]✵APPEARANCE[/b][/font][/div][hr=border:2px solid #203A45][/hr]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, nunc elit pharetra nulla, venenatis hendrerit, mauris nec odio eget sed at. Augue morbi vel tortor vel congue aliquam, sed lacus velit ut vel, nullam turpis ac luctus fusce justo, purus suscipit curabitur enim. Eget vel non, rutrum quis nibh dui posuere magnis, imperdiet dapibus cras, diam rem euismod, amet sollicitudin. Ac aut ligula sapien in sem, dolor wisi mattis commodo lacus nunc, pede nunc turpis odio. Mattis aliquam, enim impedit consequat pretium, sapien diam, felis molestie, magnis mauris. Scelerisque ut sit hac amet non congue, enim nibh posuere, ac donec enim, nulla malesuada magnis vitae. Hendrerit orci amet in dignissim ligula scelerisque, hendrerit neque suscipit. Orci ullamcorper quam adipiscing luctus porttitor maecenas, nulla ac a, turpis lacus. Ultricies ac lorem proin tristique, auctor donec pulvinar libero, tincidunt lobortis sollicitudin, urna tincidunt viverra, et leo.

[div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;][font=Fondamento][b]✵PERSONALITY OVERVIEW[/b][/font][/div][hr=border:2px solid #203A45][/hr]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, nunc elit pharetra nulla, venenatis hendrerit, mauris nec odio eget sed at. Augue morbi vel tortor vel congue aliquam, sed lacus velit ut vel, nullam turpis ac luctus fusce justo, purus suscipit curabitur enim. Eget vel non, rutrum quis nibh dui posuere magnis, imperdiet dapibus cras, diam rem euismod, amet sollicitudin. Ac aut ligula sapien in sem, dolor wisi mattis commodo lacus nunc, pede nunc turpis odio. Mattis aliquam, enim impedit consequat pretium, sapien diam, felis molestie, magnis mauris. Scelerisque ut sit hac amet non congue, enim nibh posuere, ac donec enim, nulla malesuada magnis vitae. Hendrerit orci amet in dignissim ligula scelerisque, hendrerit neque suscipit. Orci ullamcorper quam adipiscing luctus porttitor maecenas, nulla ac a, turpis lacus. Ultricies ac lorem proin tristique, auctor donec pulvinar libero, tincidunt lobortis sollicitudin, urna tincidunt viverra, et leo.

[div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;][font=Fondamento][b]✵BIOGRAPHY[/b][/font][/div][hr=border:2px solid #203A45][/hr]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, nunc elit pharetra nulla, venenatis hendrerit, mauris nec odio eget sed at. Augue morbi vel tortor vel congue aliquam, sed lacus velit ut vel, nullam turpis ac luctus fusce justo, purus suscipit curabitur enim. Eget vel non, rutrum quis nibh dui posuere magnis, imperdiet dapibus cras, diam rem euismod, amet sollicitudin. Ac aut ligula sapien in sem, dolor wisi mattis commodo lacus nunc, pede nunc turpis odio. Mattis aliquam, enim impedit consequat pretium, sapien diam, felis molestie, magnis mauris. Scelerisque ut sit hac amet non congue, enim nibh posuere, ac donec enim, nulla malesuada magnis vitae. Hendrerit orci amet in dignissim ligula scelerisque, hendrerit neque suscipit. Orci ullamcorper quam adipiscing luctus porttitor maecenas, nulla ac a, turpis lacus. Ultricies ac lorem proin tristique, auctor donec pulvinar libero, tincidunt lobortis sollicitudin, urna tincidunt viverra, et leo.

[div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;][font=Fondamento][b]✵HOLDINGS OF NOTE[/b][/font][/div][hr=border:2px solid #203A45][/hr]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, nunc elit pharetra nulla, venenatis hendrerit, mauris nec odio eget sed at. Augue morbi vel tortor vel congue aliquam, sed lacus velit ut vel, nullam turpis ac luctus fusce justo, purus suscipit curabitur enim. Eget vel non, rutrum quis nibh dui posuere magnis, imperdiet dapibus cras, diam rem euismod, amet sollicitudin.

[div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;][font=Fondamento][b]✵NOTABLE SKILLS[/b][/font][/div][hr=border:2px solid #203A45][/hr]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, nunc elit pharetra nulla, venenatis hendrerit, mauris nec odio eget sed at. Augue morbi vel tortor vel congue aliquam, sed lacus velit ut vel, nullam turpis ac luctus fusce justo, purus suscipit curabitur enim. Eget vel non, rutrum quis nibh dui posuere magnis, imperdiet dapibus cras, diam rem euismod, amet sollicitudin.

[div=text-align:right; font-size:11.5pt;][font=Fondamento][b]✵MISCELLANEOUS[/b][/font][/div][hr=border:2px solid #203A45][/hr]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, nunc elit pharetra nulla, venenatis hendrerit, mauris nec odio eget sed at. Augue morbi vel tortor vel congue aliquam, sed lacus velit ut vel, nullam turpis ac luctus fusce justo, purus suscipit curabitur enim. Eget vel non, rutrum quis nibh dui posuere magnis, imperdiet dapibus cras, diam rem euismod, amet sollicitudin.
    [/font][/div][/div][/div]

Last edited:
[solid=#586270]
[CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sDVEXh8.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kFQmh6v.png[/IMG]
[justify][FONT=book antiqua][COLOR=#586270][SIZE=7]T[/SIZE][/COLOR]he year is 1725 and King Louis XV sits on the French Throne. Spats and quarrels continue throughout Europe. People are, more and more, becoming slaves of high fashion and, for those who can afford it, luxury is becoming widely available. Duels settle scores of honour in the upper class and it is a time of pleasure gardens and blood sports. Crowds flock to beautiful gardens and superb markets, while others entertain cruel matches between beasts for fun and profit. The upper class is indulgent, while the emerging middle class struggles to make its way, and the poor scrape by as they always have. In the South, Marseille is ravaged by plague and walls are erected around the countryside in attempts to stem the spread of the sickness.

[COLOR=#586270][SIZE=7]F[/SIZE][/COLOR]ar and away, nestled in the Vosges Mountains on the northeastern side of France, is the Sauveterre Estate. While the residents here are removed from the clamor of life in the cities, they still live in the lap of luxury. The isolation of the estate helps keep sickness and politics at bay, but the residents here need hardly worry about such matters. They are more concerned with art and music, with parties and pretense, and with intrigue and scandal. Above all, they concern themselves with keeping the secrets behind their unusual bloodline...[/FONT][/justify]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kFQmh6v.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
[tabs]
[tab=About the RP][justify][FONT=book antiqua]
[B]GM: [/B][USER=20897]@DinoFeather[/USER]
[B]Genre:[/B] Historical Fiction/Fantasy, Supernatural Elements, Gothic, Horror Elements, Dark Comedy
[B]Keywords:[/B] Vampires, Drama, Scandal, Action, Murder, Supernatural, Affairs, Horror, Dark Comedy
[B]Warnings: [/B]Murder, Violence, Language, Implication, Blood
[B]Writing Level:[/B] Advanced
[B]Posting Frequency:[/B] Moderate to Slow (1-2x weekly)
[B]Restrictions:[/B] 18+ strongly preferred

Hello and welcome to [I]Sanguine Bonds[/I]! This is a historical fantasy RP with vampires and other supernatural elements. As noted above, this is an [B]advanced[/B] level role play with a [B]moderate to slow[/B] posting rate. While I would prefer all players to be 18+, exceptions may be made. Because this is [B]historical[/B] fantasy, I do expect players to have some grasp of the time period. Every detail does not have to be period accurate, I've taken some obvious liberties, but please be mindful of technology and customs of the time. If you are in doubt, Google it!

This RP will largely follow a group of vampires from the Sauveterre Bloodline. Later in the story other races may be included, though it largely depends on the direction in which the story progresses. I want to give players some say in the plot development, but I also want to keep the story and original idea intact. Hard decisions, I know. That said, I will likely leave decisions up for a vote though I reserve the final say-- especially when a decision cannot be reached.

This RP shouldn't be [I]overly[/I] dark. I know when some people think of vampires, they think of broody, serious characters that would make any edge-lord envious... Those aren't the kind of vampires I'm looking for in this RP. Mostly, I want an air of realism. They [S]are[/S] were humans and have human flaws. They are not all-powerful and they are not dark and broody. Not most of them, anyway.

That said, expect the RP to have a dark and somewhat dry sense of humour throughout.

If you don't cope well with cheating, affairs, and violence this may not be an ideal RP for you. Just a heads up.

[SIZE=2](And yes, there is a joke in the title.) [/justify][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/tab]
[tab=Rules and Expectations][justify][FONT=book antiqua]
[SIZE=5][U][B]The Rules:[/B][/U][/SIZE]
[LIST=1]
[*]All Iwaku rules apply!
[*]No hijacking other characters.
[*]Your characters are not impervious to damage.
[*]You may not kill another character without player and GM permission.
[*]Sexual scenes may only take place in PMs.
[*]Be respectful to the other players and the GM.
[*]You must meet posting level expectations to remain in the RP.[SIZE=3]***[/SIZE]
[*]As the GM, I reserve the right to remove any player at any time for any reason.
[*]Listen to the GM.
[*]Keep a sense of humour and have fun!
[/LIST]
[SIZE=3]*** If something comes up and you need an extension or whatnot, just let me know! Life happens-- I just need a heads up before you vanish so we can make arrangement for your character(s).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][U][B]Expectations:[/B][/U][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]As this is an [B]advanced[/B] RP, I expect all players to meet the posting level requirements. What that means is that I expect posts to be coherent writing that utilizes correct grammar, spelling, and syntax. I do not expect novels for posts-- I do want to make that clear. I think detail and description is great, but too much can actually hinder writing. What do I mean by that? Well, when some players post upwards up fifteen paragraphs, it can slow down an RP and make responses difficult for others.

That in mind, [B]I expect posts to be a minimum of two to three paragraphs in length and a maximum of eight to ten.[/B] (If you go over on the occasion, no worries. Please just don't make a habit of super, super long posts.) I'm not going to get into the definition of a paragraph, because a sentence number is silly. A paragraph discusses a theme or idea-- in as many sentences as needed. (Within reason.)

Please do not post three two sentence paragraphs and call it good-- that's not going to fly. You need to give other players enough to work with and respond to. Use of dialogue is helpful and encouraged, as is reasonable detail and description.

I also expect players to contribute to the story and help move the plot along. If everyone just dicks around and their characters make no decisions and take no actions, this RP is going to drag. When needed, I will do my best to keep things moving, but I want a lot of the decisions to be the players'.[justify][/FONT] [/SIZE]

[/tab]
[tab=Concerning Races][justify][FONT=book antiqua]
The only playable race right now is vampire. If you want to make a second character that is another race, please PM me with your idea and we will see what can be worked out. Please note that your non-vampire character will probably not come into the RP until later on.

[accordion=bcenter|80%]
{slide=Vampires|center}
Vampires have reflections, and they rather like looking in mirrors. Vampires can swim and are perfectly capable of crossing running water. They have no aversion to religious relics or symbols, but many do find them to be rather tawdry. Holy water will do nothing more than get them wet. No one smells great swathed in garlic, but it's not going to deter a vampire from attacking. They may, however, try to avoid conversation if you've consumed large amounts of it. The only aversion vampires have to silver is in the form of gaudy jewelry or décor. Whatever you've heard about vampires and the aforementioned wives' tales, they simply aren't true. Actually, many vampires perpetuate these myths, as it makes the common folk much less suspicious of them, and it's not uncommon for a vampire to ensure that they're glimpsed in a mirror or strolling over a bridge.

There are, however, stories that are true.

Vampires cannot go about in the sun. Place a vampire in direct sun in the middle of the day, and in less than a minute you'll have a burnt, bloody, scab of a corpse. There is no elegant turning to ash or instant vaporization. Burning is a painful, blistering, graphic death. Dawn and dusk are, fortunately, more forgiving. Vampires can go about in the indirect light for brief periods, so long as no direct sunlight touches them. Should they stay out for more than thirty minutes or so, they will slowly start to burn. Much longer than an hour and they are going to be in some serious and probably debilitating pain. Once the sun is properly up, it simply isn't safe for a vampire to be out of doors. When the sun is setting and its light is weak, a vampire might wander outside if they can remain in the shadows. Even in fading sun, a vampire only has about five minutes of survival time—and half of that will be spent on the ground, writhing in pain as they burn. (If you want to inflict a slow and torturous death, sunrise and sunset are the way to go. Just make sure you time them well.)

Vampires do have to be given permission to enter a home or they simply cannot cross the threshold (or enter windows or whathaveyou). No one is sure exactly what governs this unusual rule, but most vampires regard it as a sense of etiquette and embrace it. The same does not hold true for shops or establishments that are not considered a home, and a vampire may enter as a patron unbidden by the owner or proprietor. In the event a vampire wishes to enter a shop or public house where individuals live or are staying, the vampire may enter the public area, however they may not cross into living areas or private rooms (inns) unless they are invited.

For whatever reason, a wooden stake through the heart negates a vampire's abilities. While a stake is embedded in the heart, a vampire falls into a comatose state. Upon the removal of the stake, the vampire will reawaken, though it will take them considerable time and several feedings to restore their former strength and abilities.

Vampires heal very quickly, though this ability is dependent upon how recently they've fed. More blood equates to faster healing. They are able to recover from dismemberment and even decapitation, but it will take time and they will need considerable amounts of blood to recover from the latter.

While many vampires prefer to sleep in elegant coffins, some prefer beds. At the estate, the majority of the residents tend toward beds, as the bedchambers have been appropriately draped and covered to ensure safety during the daylight hours. There are some vampires that prefer the close quarters and complete darkness of a coffin and, when staying in an unfamiliar or unsecured place, coffins are highly recommended.

All vampires possess slightly enhanced speed and strength in comparison to a standard human, but nothing to great excess. Each vampire, upon turning, has a power that manifests itself. Some are given vastly increased speed, incredible strength, hypnosis, partial invisibility, etc. Some vampires have similar gifts, while others are truly unique.

Vampires are also capable of transforming into a nocturnal animal. They are not limited to bats, though winged animals are preferred to aid in travel. Mastering this ability takes extensive practice, and not every vampire uses it regularly—or at all.

Vampires need blood to live. At the barest minimum, a vampire needs to feed twice a month-- and that is to maintain a semblance of functionality. Vampires who prefer to do as little hunting as possible feed once a week, which is enough to comfortably maintain their powers and quality of life. Other vampires who enjoy hunting or have easily available sources will feed twice a week. Still others, who are more indulgent and live for the thrill of a hunt, feed almost every night. If a vampire is injured or in the process of healing, the need blood every night for several days in a row—depending upon the severity of their injury. Often, if one of the family is injured and at the estate, they remain in bed while blood is brought to them to help them recover quickly. Drinking blood from a dead creature will not kill a vampire, though if the blood has already coagulated, it is of no sustenance; the texture is also a nightmare. If a vampire drinks the blood of another vampire, they receive little to no sustenance from it, but it does result in a sort of intoxication.

Vampires do age, but very slowly. Age works roughly on a basis of ten; for example, if a vampire lived to 600, they would be around 60 in human years. They may look "good for their age" but vampires will slowly age, and their abilities will slowly wane. When they start looking to be in their 50s-60s, they visibly stop aging. If they take care of themselves, their health and abilities will not decline further. However, if they feed too often or not often enough, or if they become careless or fail to take care of their physical bodies, they will continue to decline.

Because vampires age so slowly and in a way different than humans, it is strictly forbidden to turn a child. Yes, a child would very slowly age, but they would only ever reach the size of a young teenager. The body, once turned, is unable to produce enough hormones for the child to go through puberty, and would never reach full maturity. While no one in the family is to create vampires except the Grand Sire, it would be an even greater sin to turn a child. If a child is turned, by one family or another, the child must be destroyed—along with the vampire who created it. The same is said for any children conceived between a vampire and a human. The longer an individual has been a vampire, the less able they are to contribute to the conception of a child. New vampires are the ones most likely to bring about trouble in this regard, and ongoing relations with humans are discouraged for a myriad of reasons. Namely, if they are found to have contributed to the conception of or have conceived a child and have taken no action, both the vampire and the child are punishable by death.
{/slide}
{slide=Other|center}WIP{/slide}
[/accordion]

[justify][/FONT][/tab]
[tab=Setting and Estate]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kFQmh6v.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
[justify][FONT=book antiqua]The general setting is 1725 in western Europe. While the Sauveterre Estate is located in eastern France, the story may lead to any number of cities and countries. While there is some push for historical accuracy, we will not delve deeply into political affairs of the European countries. There will be allusions and mentions now and then, but please do not feel overly pressured by this. You shouldn't have to do more than a quick Google to find information about fashion or technology of the time. With the Estate being so far east, little more than gossip of spats between England, France, and Spain affect the residents.

The Sauveterre Estate is located in northeastern France, very near the German border. It is located on the eastern side of the Vosges Mountains, where it remains largely protected through its isolation. The estate is, in reality, a small [I]castle[/I]—the result of nearly three centuries' accumulation of wealth and influence. The Sauveterre Estate has upwards of thirty rooms, including private apartments for the residents, quarters for the servants, a ballroom, a library, a great hall, an observatory, courtyard gardens, numerous guest rooms, bathrooms and boudoirs, an elaborate bathing room , pantries, larders, and kitchens. Of course, the latter of these amenities are used for the servants and for hosting grand parties and masquerades. All bedchambers are outfitted with heavy curtains to effectively block sunlight during the day, ensuring safety during sleep. It also permits the residents to be up and about during daylight hours, should they so choose.[justify][/FONT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kFQmh6v.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

[justify][FONT=book antiqua]The servants of the Estate presented a peculiar issue. It was realized upon the acquirement and completion of the Estate that servants and housekeepers would be required to maintain it. While this would be of little issue for most wealthy Estate owners, for a vampire it was an obstacle that required extensive thought. Risking discovery and exposure, Salvadore sought out peasants who possessed no living family members and brought them to the Estate to serve in exchange for lodging, protection, and a life better than they could have otherwise imagined. Fortunately, many of those taken in cared little about the peculiar ailment of their master and proved to be loyal servants. Many of the current servants are descendants of the original people who were taken in by Salvadore, though new faces are brought in every so often. There is a careful selection process to ensure no one will defect or spread rumours about the residents of the Estate.

In the nearly two centuries spent at the Estate, only one servant has ever tried to compromise those who live there. It was, however, not the vampires that dealt with the dissenting maid, but the other servants. Overall, the serving staff is loyal to Salvadore and his bloodline, guaranteed protection from the family and from vampires of other lines. The servants are aware of what their masters are, but a life of comfort and fair treatment keep the people content. Some of the servants are willing to let the family drink from them, and there are even a few of them who hope they might be selected to join the bloodline.
[justify][/FONT][/tab]
[tab=The Plot]
[CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kFQmh6v.png[/IMG][/center]
[justify][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=6]Chapter I:
A Family Gathering[/SIZE][/FONT]

Salvadore d'Est Sauveterre, Grand Sire of the Sauveterre Bloodline, is missing. While it is not unusual for a vampire to vanish now and then on trips or extended hunts, it has been over two months since the Grand Sire was last seen and no one was made privy to any travel plans prior to his disappearance. The family has heard nothing from him-- or of him. As Salvadore was the patriarch of the family, his disappearance has caused some disturbance among the Sauveterres.

Rumours of foul play and whispers of treachery have begun to circulate around the French countryside and even those outside of the Sauveterre family have caught wind of the disappearance. In order to keep up appearances and resolve the mounting tension between the family members, a note of request has gone out to all members of the Sauveterre Bloodline, insisting that they report to the Sauveterre Estate. Of course, prying some family members out of a comfortable city dwelling can prove difficult, and, in an effort to persuade them, a grand masquerade has been planned at the Estate.

[justify][/FONT]
[/tab]
[CENTER]
[/tab][tab=The Sauveterre Bloodline][justify][FONT=book antiqua]
words[/justify][/FONT]
[/tab]
[/tab][tab=The NPCs][justify][FONT=book antiqua]
words[/justify][/FONT]
[/tab][tab=Player Characters][justify][FONT=book antiqua]
words[/justify][/FONT]
[/tab]
[/tab][tab=Character Creation][justify][FONT=book antiqua]
words[/justify][/FONT]
[/tab]
[/tabs]
[/solid]

sDVEXh8.png

kFQmh6v.png

The year is 1725 and King Louis XV sits on the French Throne. Spats and quarrels continue throughout Europe. People are, more and more, becoming slaves of high fashion and, for those who can afford it, luxury is becoming widely available. Duels settle scores of honour in the upper class and it is a time of pleasure gardens and blood sports. Crowds flock to beautiful gardens and superb markets, while others entertain cruel matches between beasts for fun and profit. The upper class is indulgent, while the emerging middle class struggles to make its way, and the poor scrape by as they always have. In the South, Marseille is ravaged by plague and walls are erected around the countryside in attempts to stem the spread of the sickness.

Far and away, nestled in the Vosges Mountains on the northeastern side of France, is the Sauveterre Estate. While the residents here are removed from the clamor of life in the cities, they still live in the lap of luxury. The isolation of the estate helps keep sickness and politics at bay, but the residents here need hardly worry about such matters. They are more concerned with art and music, with parties and pretense, and with intrigue and scandal. Above all, they concern themselves with keeping the secrets behind their unusual bloodline...

kFQmh6v.png

• GM: @DinoFeather
    Genre: Historical Fiction/Fantasy, Supernatural Elements, Gothic, Horror Elements, Dark Comedy
    Keywords: Vampires, Drama, Scandal, Action, Murder, Supernatural, Affairs, Horror, Dark Comedy
    Warnings: Murder, Violence, Language, Implication, Blood
    Writing Level: Advanced
    Posting Frequency: Moderate to Slow (1-2x weekly)
    Restrictions: 18+ strongly preferred

Hello and welcome to Sanguine Bonds! This is a historical fantasy RP with vampires and other supernatural elements. As noted above, this is an advanced level role play with a moderate to slow posting rate. While I would prefer all players to be 18+, exceptions may be made. Because this is historical fantasy, I do expect players to have some grasp of the time period. Every detail does not have to be period accurate, I've taken some obvious liberties, but please be mindful of technology and customs of the time. If you are in doubt, Google it!

This RP shouldn't be overly dark. I know when some people think of vampires, they think of broody, serious characters that would make any edge-lord envious... Those aren't the kind of vampires I'm looking for in this RP. Mostly, I want an air of realism. They are were humans and have human flaws. They are not all-powerful and they are not dark and broody. Not most of them, anyway.

(And yes, there is a joke in the title.)

• The Rules:
    1. All Iwaku rules apply!
    2. No hijacking other characters.
    3. Your characters are not impervious to damage.
    4. You may not kill another character without player and GM permission.
    5. Sexual scenes may only take place in PMs.
    6. Be respectful to the other players and the GM.
    7. You must meet posting level expectations to remain in the RP.***
    8. As the GM, I reserve the right to remove any player at any time for any reason.
    9. Listen to the GM.
    10. Keep a sense of humour and have fun!
    *** If something comes up and you need an extension or whatnot, just let me know! Life happens-- I just need a heads up before you vanish so we can make arrangement for your character(s).

Expectations:
    As this is an advanced RP, I expect all players to meet the posting level requirements. What that means is that I expect posts to be coherent writing that utilizes correct grammar, spelling, and syntax. I do not expect novels for posts-- I do want to make that clear. I think detail and description is great, but too much can actually hinder writing. What do I mean by that? Well, when some players post upwards up fifteen paragraphs, it can slow down an RP and make responses difficult for others.

That in mind, I expect posts to be a minimum of two to three paragraphs in length and a maximum of eight to ten. (If you go over on the occasion, no worries. Please just don't make a habit of super, super long posts.) I'm not going to get into the definition of a paragraph, because a sentence number is silly. A paragraph discusses a theme or idea-- in as many sentences as needed. (Within reason.)

I also expect players to contribute to the story and help move the plot along. If everyone just dicks around and their characters make no decisions and take no actions, this RP is going to drag. When needed, I will do my best to keep things moving, but I want a lot of the decisions to be the players'.