Sanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her questions surprised him. There was nothing about whether she got a say in any of this. No questions on what kind of instinct would make him want to protect her. No suspicion about his motives. She didn't even seem to blink about anything he said and that set off some warning howls in Warren's mind. Either she was still in shock from everything or she'd seen far too much, had endured far too much and she was far too numb to everything around her. Either way, it worried him and he watched Eve closely as she removed her bandages, the smell of dried blood hitting his nose. He found it both relieving - it meant she was healed - and it made him equally as disgruntled because it meant she'd been hurt at all.

He'd almost forgotten what it was like to have a true Bond with someone, even an emerging one that wasn't quite fully formed. Admittedly, it scared the crap out of him and if he'd not known better, he would have been fighting it with every ounce of strength and will he possessed.

The werewolf was still tempted to do exactly that even knowing it was futile. He'd left the Agency for these kinds of reasons. He was a Lone Wolf for these kinds of reasons. He'd alienated himself from everything and everyone to avoid something like this! And yet, here it was anyway, mocking him, reminding him that he couldn't run from what he was.

Here was the evidence, sitting on his couch, asking him questions he didn't mind answering but all the same wished he didn't have to be answering.

The werewolf finally stood, realizing his guest wouldn't be bolting if he did and he slowly crossed to the window, pulling the curtain back just slightly with three fingers, taking a look at the street below, absentmindedly keeping his senses open for encroaching danger. It wouldn't be long before those vampires went back to make sure their work was disposed of - and not find their prey where they'd left it. From there things would get ugly rather fast. "I transform when I must. I don't tend to do it for pleasure." He knew that wasn't healthy, but Eve wouldn't and so Warren knew he was safe from any kind of lecture. "I've always been a werewolf, I was born as such and so I have always known it. Most werewolves are born and those that are bitten are called Lycan, not werewolves. They are half-breeds, still somewhat human. Humans wouldn't know the difference, though, and so we're all lumped together."

He completed his explanation with a slight shrug and glanced to Eve beneath shaggy, dark hair, his gray-green eyes flashing in the shadows around his face, catching the light from the lamps by the couch. "I only have two questions for you, little firebrand and they are these; if you are not human, what are you? And are you going to allow me to protect you from what lurks in my world?"

"What am I?"

Eve had asked him to ask her that very question. She had brought her unnatural state into the discussion. Just two seconds ago she had convinced herself that the cat was already out of the bag and she didn't have anything to hide. It would be safer if the person before her knew everything. That's what she had thought. Yet it did not lessen the blow of the three words. The question had damned her to live as a lab rat.

She pulled her legs close to her chest, forming a small ball. Her arms folded over her knees, fingers spread in an instinct to protect her arms from being poked and prodded. A deep breath shook her as she tried to suppress the memories. She had expected this, but he already knew. Now it was just her turn to put reality into words.

"I'm a mutant," she answered, pulling her hair to one side of her head. It was strange to be talking to someone about what she was. Yet, it seemed to make things a bit better. Her shoulders relaxed as she continued, "Or that's the current theory. Just the next step in the evolutionary path - a superhuman. Then again, having strange DNA explains why I'm not human. As it what I am, it maybe better to just say that I'm an Immortal."

A secret she had kept was free, and there was no going back now. He calmed to be a werewolf and she claimed to immortal. "I believe you said that I was stuck with you in one way or another. And as I have no experience with what lurks in your world, I have to agree to your protection. If I have a choice, I want to avoid having my blood drained again."

He watched her with all the knowledge of harsh years lived, with experience in suffering and instinctive intuition that all told him what her body language meant. She'd been abused, that was clear, and she was scared of being hurt again. That was more than obvious to the werewolf. Seeing the way she curled in on herself brought a fierce feeling to his chest, one he knew was nothing less than protective, but there was a hint of possessiveness mixed in there that surprised him. That he should feel so claiming after only a few hours was concerning to Warren, but there was little he could do about it right now.

No, he focused on Eve once more, noting with some interest and approval that despite her fear, she was still talking. That showed courage and resilience. She'd need both in the days and weeks to come. Most-likely she already had it in abundance if what he was seeing from her body language was the truth. It was unlikely that it wasn't.

A Mutant. An Immortal.

Warren's dark-haired head tilted in a curiosity-inspired gesture, his eyes narrowing a bit in thought, but not too disturbed by the news. An Immortal human. Yes, he supposed that scientists would be all over that, wouldn't they? The werewolf almost snorted. If only the poor fools knew how many immortal creatures walked this earth already. Still, even if they did know, Eve would still be a novelty. It was one thing for another species to have immortality. It was quite another for your OWN species to generate a person who had the exact quality desired. Warren could just imagine the kind of hell Eve had gone through....and who knew how long she'd lived.

The werewolf finally spoke, his voice a quiet rumble in the room. "Immortal or not, you have nothing to fear from me, Eve, and I will protect you."

It was all he got to say before his ears caught a sound from the street below, catching his attention and making him turn his head to look out the window. Just the briefest glance of a figure before they were hidden from sight again told the werewolf all he needed to know and this time when his teeth showed, it was in a bare and gave clear evidence to the fact that he DID have fangs.

"We need to leave. Get your stuff. If your clothes are important in some way, grab them." Even as he spoke, Warren had moved away from the window with long, purposeful strides, heading to his own room. He already had a bag packed for occasions exactly like this - well, maybe not quite like this, but close - and he only needed to grab a few things extra before he'd be ready to depart.

Last edited:
Surprised by the fact that he had no other questions, Eve leaned back and stretched to place her feet on the floor. She had expected him to follow his two questions up with others. But he had no questions about what she meant by being Immortal. He did not seem to want to know would couldn't kill her. Instead he just promised to protect her. Her heart swelled and she smiled brightly at the promise. Perhaps he wouldn't be able to keep it. And maybe he was saying it just because his instincts dictate that he help her. However, she was found herself eternally grateful.

But the happiness she felt was unable to stay for long. Her back straightened as he turned back to the windows. While she had not processed it the first time, this time she was aware that he was keeping a look out. Only proving how serious his promise was. As his fangs caught the light, gleaming white, her instincts seemed to revoke the trust she had given him. He was something unknown. She didn't know much about him minus his name and the fact that he had always been a werewolf. Above all, he was dangerous.

"Vampires?" Eve asked as she watched him move into the room she had woken up in. Making sure she had phone and wallet, she stood to her feet. Reaching out, her hand grasped the edge of the couch for support as the world wavered. Her vision flashed white as her heart tried to keep up. She wasn't quite back to her full capacity, but far better than she had been before she had sat down. Shaking her head, she righted herself as she began to move towards the door of the apartment. "They aren't, though they might fit me better. The best option would be to stop by my apartment. There are a few things there that are of importance to me. But if it wouldn't be too much of a risk... I understand."

They needed to leave. They were leaving. But what was Warren's plan. She had said that she would let him protect her. But would he tell her what was going to happen next. It seemed that they were going to run, but where to?

"Yeah, vampires." was the simple reply as Warren emerged from the room he'd entered just a moment before, a bag slung over his shoulder. He stopped slightly when his eyes landed on Eve, his nose flaring slightly, senses telling him what a human would not have known - that the woman was not quite as all right as she wanted to pretend. She was weak, her heart was erratic and she smelled of exhaustion. It wouldn't surprise him if he ended up carrying her at some point. She was in no condition to run.

She was speaking again and he brought his attention to her words in time to grasp that she wasn't sure about returning to her apartment. Well, at least she was smart.

"We'll get you stuff, don't worry, but not tonight." He moved to the door, but opened it cautiously, looking out and then down both sides of the hallway before giving a nod to Eve, a signal that they could leave. Every sense he owned was on alert and it seemed that Warren's green-gray eyes lightened to an almost blueish color as they moved down the hall and to the stairs. The elevator would only be a death trap. Coming to the stairwell, the werewolf didn't even hesitate to consider whether Eve would like it or if she'd be comfortable with it - there wasn't time for that - he merely barked out the command.

"Get on my back." She was too weak and would be too slow at this point to get down eight six flights on her own, not before the vampires caught their fresh scent and came after them. He'd carry her down and be far faster for it - werewolf strength was at least five times that of a human. They would need it, too, before the night was over. Getting to his pick-up was only the start. Getting to the place he had in mind would be a challenge in and of itself.

He knew he'd do whatever it took to get Eve there, though. He couldn't help but do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.