S.S. Iwaku Revolution [ALREADY STARTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably don't want to display SS runes, even as a joke. It's about as tasteful as a Swastika, mainly because the SS is responsible for nearly all of the Nazi war crimes.
Hm, that's true.

Give me a moment to tweak them.

Reactions: Mu
You probably don't want to display SS runes, even as a joke. It's about as tasteful as a Swastika, mainly because the SS is responsible for nearly all of the Nazi war crimes.
Tweaked.

Granted I personally do find altering such things silly, people should not be offended by humor.
I just don't want people who start flame reporting to the Admins and causing potential ban drama.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ser K+ and Mu
Tweaked.

Granted I personally do find altering such things silly, people should not be offended by humor.
I just don't want people who start flame reporting to the Admins and causing potential ban drama.
Well, given that you usually do have people looking for a reason for calling you out on something you said, I figured you probably don't want to use historically horrible symbols so you don't have to constantly explain why you're likening a joke thread and "revolution" to something associated with the Holocaust. :P

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Well, given that you usually do have people looking for a reason for calling you out on something you said, I figured you probably don't want to use historically horrible symbols so you don't have to constantly explain why you're likening a joke thread and "revolution" to something associated with the Holocaust. :P
That's true, I am still having to deal with people word twisting so thanks for the thought/heads up.

Though I do feel the need to point out something... Grammar Nazi's.
Nex ran around with that all the time, it's a direct reference to the Nazi's and Holocaust yet no one get's offended or tried to twist his words. XD

Double standards I guess.

That's true, I am still having to deal with people word twisting so thanks for the thought/heads up.

Though I do feel the need to point out something... Grammar Nazi's.
Nex ran around with that all the time, it's a direct reference to the Nazi's and Holocaust yet no one get's offended or tried to twist his words. XD

Double standards I guess.
That was also a widely-internet used thing and it was a big G instead of the Swastika. Yeah, it's supposed to evoke Nazi Germany, but it's a lot more factitious doing that because it's pretty much engrained in our social fabric to call anything or anyone slightly oppressive or mean a Nazi. Seinfield, for instance, the Soup Nazi.

No no, you find don't care if people are offended, I suggest you change it back. Freedom of expression right?

Edit: holy shit words

Last edited:
That was also a widely-internet used thing and it was a big G instead of the Swastika. Yeah, it's supposed to evoke Nazi Germany, but it's a lot more factitious doing that because it's pretty much engrained in our social fabric to call anything or anyone slightly oppressive or mean a Nazi. Seinfield, for instance, the Soup Nazi.
Stop rebuking my points with facts you fact Nazi. :P

No no, you find don't care if people are offended, I suggest you change it back. Freedom of expression right?
Tempting.
But I already seem to be in the bad books of at least one Admin.

Why? I have no flipping idea what I did to piss her off.

But regardless I can see certain actions I do being met with more force than if someone else did it.

• We follow Flexibility of Speech not Freedom of Speech.
    The U.S. laws for Freedom of Speech do not apply here. You have the freedom to voice your opinions, HOWEVER; you do not have the freedom to force your opinions on others, say malicious comments, or attack another member and their opinions. Just as you wish to be respected, others must be respected.
Ho hum.

Basically, all it takes is somebody saying they take offense to it and it's down. While it's unlikely anybody on the site has a relative who personally suffered at the hands of the SS, it's still widely seen as a really tasteless symbol and there's always the chance that there is somebody who's relative was in a concentration camp. As much as I hate the term, "trigger warning" may apply.

Personally, I don't care either way. I know it's meant in good fun and is meant to be almost satirical in nature, but I kind of figured it's good advice to warn anybody (not just Gwazi) about using imagery with a huge social stigma attached to it, especially when you're making a joke and somebody who doesn't get the joke and doesn't know who the user is but sees a picture of a guy dressed in black with SS runes and immediately starts to wonder if the dude is one of those Neo-Nazi fucksticks that seem to creep out of the dark recesses of the internet from time to time.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
The U.S. laws for Freedom of Speech do not apply here.
I'm seriously surprised no one who helped make the site looked at this and went "Hey guys... Isn't this, you know? A really bad thing for us to be doing?".

Especially considering that freedom of speech never actually does require others to agree with X opinion so "Forcing your beliefs on another" would have been against the rules then anyways. Along with stuff like harassment. I mean seriously, the freedom of speech laws already cover all that. There's no reason to change it unless if you want a method of silencing someone's opinion that you find inconvenient.

I didn't totally get it after reading half the posts? :D

Yeah, let Gwazi have his freedom of speech!

Armanen Runes 2015

Kappa Kappa Iwaku

I'm seriously surprised no one who helped make the site looked at this and went "Hey guys... Isn't this, you know? A really bad thing for us to be doing?".

Especially considering that freedom of speech never actually does require others to agree with X opinion so "Forcing your beliefs on another" would have been against the rules then anyways. Along with stuff like harassment. I mean seriously, the freedom of speech laws already cover all that. There's no reason to change it unless if you want a method of silencing someone's opinion that you find inconvenient.
Freedom of speech is interesting in the sense that it can be revoked or given a back seat if there's circumstances where it can infringe on another freedom, for instance the press being given a gag order because sensitive information could endanger somebody's life, compromise a fair trial, become a national security risk, et cetera. Likewise, many places legally prohibit hate speech even though we all, in theory, have the right to say whatever we damn well please because people are protected against discrimination in the constitution/ charter/ whatever.

I'm sure somebody who's more into legal mumbo jumbo than I am can pull out exactly where it says what to demonstrate that point.

Freedom of speech is interesting in the sense that it can be revoked or given a back seat if there's circumstances where it can infringe on another freedom, for instance the press being given a gag order because sensitive information could endanger somebody's life, compromise a fair trial, become a national security risk, et cetera. Likewise, many places legally prohibit hate speech even though we all, in theory, have the right to say whatever we damn well please because people are protected against discrimination in the constitution/ charter/ whatever.

I'm sure somebody who's more into legal mumbo jumbo than I am can pull out exactly where it says what to demonstrate that point.
Well yea obviously. That's something already in our legal system.

So assuming Iwaku wanted to follow the laws, there was no need for them to say "We don't follow freedom of speech" because the exact concerns they highlighted were also already covered legally.
Maybe I'm looking too deep into it, and they really just meant to say "Don't be dicks". But the manner they chose to word it is worrisome at best.

I DON'T DRINK PEOPLE WHO THINK I'M DRUNK.

Status
Not open for further replies.