Robocop Remake

• Thread starter Six Million Dollar Man
  • Start date
I thought Dredd 3D was a pretty decent Robocop remake. I mean it took some liberties with the design, but the story was pretty spot on.

Reactions: Fluffy
Kill it, with fire. and than burn it with brimstone. Better yet:

Michael Keaton will always be Batman the Police Chief from The Other Guys.

Also... YOUR FUCKING CAR BLEW UP???? That's how you're interpreting one of the most iconic death and rebirth moments in movie history???

I would NOT buy that for a dollar. >:[

Reactions: TemoKun
It's... not... as horrible as I imagined?

Serious talk for a moment: I think it's interesting that they're choosing to not make the movie about Robocop rediscovering his previous life but instead about him overcoming illusions of free will. That he apparently remembers his life before being Robocop is an interesting take, gut I guess since mostly of everyone knows the general story of Robocop there's no point in retreading that ground.

Although I don't like the red-and-black scheme at all. I mean, he's Robocop, not RoboSWAT. If the goal is to put a man in your security bots to make him more appealing to the masses why make him look more threatening to the masses? But if I'm being as idealistic as possible, maybe they work that into the story and when he stops being brainwashed he goes back to the classic light blue look.

I actually have to side with Spammy on this one. The movie industry is shooting for a much different audience than they did back when the first Robocop came out. While I sigh every time I think of it, that audience is easy to distract, hesitant toward abstract thinking and hard to keep focused for long periods of time. It's the nature of the client base.

Considering this, we then have to take into consideration the reason Hollywood exists. To. Make. Money. That's it. That's their only function. It's not to break borders, or change mindsets, or bring forward conversation or to preserve childhoods or to abide by unspoken laws of nostalga or any of that bullcrap.

They exist to turn a dollar. That's it. They'll say it's for other reasons, it's not.

So when progressive movies that provoke abstract thought and really make the viewer take a moment and think about the world they live in turn out to be box office flops, It's noted. When a revamped remake of an old classic with a set name brand rakes in a bunch of bucks at the box office, it's noted. Props if it can be done with budget cuts on stuff like storyboard function. No one has time for that anyway. Make it flashy, throw in some explosions, a talking robot rocking an ethnic stereotype and a hobbit and it'll be listed as the best movie ever.

I'm exaggerating, but honestly. Your value as a fan is only as important as the money you bring to the table. Nothing further.

That stated, when you look at it, it does make sense that they're taking the storyline in this direction rather than the take had from the original. Even the black recolor. It's a remake designed to appeal to a modern audience unfamiliar with the original. Or at least folks that haven't seen it in a REALLY long time. The original character model was very 80s. It's dated, it was hoaky. That's not a bad thing, but when appealing to a modern audience, that's going to come out.

As far as the story goes, The over arcing themes of this generation are a lot darker than that of the 80s (Which is ironic if you consider 1988 topped the highest US crime rate in the country's history). For some reason, we have this obsession that somehow, the world is going to hell. The economy's out to eat you, the system wants to use you, they money in your pocket's worthless, and you are expendable. People of this age are more apt to respond to a story based in Underdog Uprising than one of Redemption. Least as far as the action movie franchise goes.

Least that's how I look at it.