Rising In The East, Rest To The West: Chapter 1 "When It Rains"

[size=-2]
Fumino was so grateful for being carried that she almost didn't notice being set on the filthy ground. She was probably too heavy to carry any further anyway... the water from the canteen refreshed her ways she had not realized needed replenishing. Still, with her slackened jaw, a lot of the water dribbled down her chin and that made her very annoyed.

That way, until she saw Michio. After his protection of her for the trip, she felt obligated to help him. However, part of her desperately wanted to kick him down a flight of stairs for his behavior towards her. He was injured though, and it probably was not the best time to be looking to injure him anymore.

Weakly, Fumino wobbled into Michio, her hands patting at his chest to feel for wounds. The blood stained her hands quickly and she recoiled them for an instant and took a deep breath. It was worth getting her hands filthy to help Michio, she reminded herself. Life over cleanliness... Darting fingertips once again pried shards of glass from his wounds and deftly removed the larger debris. As she worked, she mulled over the stanger's words and tried her best to answer.

"I am.. rusty in your tongue. I speak it, with some misuse. I am named Fumino and this, my friend, named Michio. You are called what?"​
[/size]

[bg=#657383][Dash=#FFF9FA][dash=#FFF9FA] [size=+2]Dr. Hadahn[/size]

"Oh deary me! That's certainly a lot of blood!" A high pitched voice called out through the night, and was answered with a rhythmic tapping of a walking cane as a young man slowly came into view who was holding a lantern in the other hand, and shielding it from the heavy rain with his cloak. "Oh dear indeed... I wondered what that crash was, and here I see a man almost cut to ribbons surrounded by three passerby's? What's become of common sense with the common folk, the man needs a doctor!" Waving the lantern to gather the attention of the three huddled around the unconscious man, Dr. Hadahn motioned them to follow him with his walking cane.

"Quickly now, quickly! Pick him up, and follow me before he bleeds to death." The stranger ordered Rafeal before slightly turning to view the path that veered off into the woods where his home resided. "My home is just down this path. I will treat the man when we get there, and you all can dry yourselves at the fire."

[/dash][/dash][/bg]

[bg=darkgreen]When Rafael was finished with his drink from her canteen, that left little water. Instead of drinking it herself, she poured it above her canine companion's head, letting his tongue lap up as much of it as he could. Once it was empty, she put it away and took her bow into her hand, sighing as she stood up.

"My name's Celina. That's Rafael," she answered the Ukyon girl. That man really didn't look to be in good shape. It was terribly worrisome, however a miracle happened. Approaching them was a stranger with a lantern, offering to help them.

Since Rafael was asked to help the Ukyon man along, she looked down to her dog, who was warily eying the newcomer. With all that's happened, he was paranoid about strangers. "Stay by Rafael's side, Amato. Just in case," she instructed the retriever. In response, he made a soft bark and walked on over to Celina's human companion.

"Are you alright to walk?" she asked Fumino. "You're welcome to hold onto me at anytime." Celina made a friendly smile when she finished her offer to help.

With that said, she looked to the man heading in the direction they were supposed to follow. She was more than grateful for this person's appearance. The rain was spine chillingly cold and she was still very tired.
[/bg]

"Hey, Dog," Rafael said with a smile. His tone was soft, and appreciable, as if greeting an old companion with a jesting tone. He scratched at Amato's head vigourously, catching him behind his ears and around his mane before sticking the butt of his spear-turned-staff and used it to help launch himself up from the wet ground.

"I can walk," he announced to the trio, as he set his eyes on the young blond-man that had sauntered over to them in the dark and in the rain, lantern and choice words at the ready. Rafael shrugged after a moment's suspicion, deciding it better fortune for coming across a man with some sensibility and propriety left in him. Well, that wasn't fair. With this day and age, it really wasn't a wise thing to welcome strangers into your home any longer.

Leaning his weak side on his staff, Rafael knelt to help left Michio from the ground. "Come along, man. We shall get you some help." After righting the Ukyon man to his feet, he put an arm underneath his shoulder and carried him rather awkwardly whilst leaning on his staff all at once. It wasn't the best of ideas, nor was it the most efficient way of moving, but they were moving.

"Are you a doctor?" Rafael called out to the path ahead. The blond man was moving crisply, the only thing marking his presence the soft luminescence of his lantern.

[size=-2]
The arrival of the doctor initially incensed Fumino - was he disparaging her technique? After a moment's thought, though, Fumino came to terms with the idea that perhaps it would be easier for her and better for Michio if someone trained in doctoring looked after his wounds. Reluctantly, she let the men pull him upwards and she pinched her eyes shut, considering the other girl, Celina, and her offer.

Shakily, Fumino took to her feet. They were still weak after the full-body paralysis that the monster had invoked but she was at least capable of walking on her own now without much problem. Fumino inhaled sharply at the pins and needles pain that surged through her legs and feet, as though they had been asleep the whole time without her and now they were just waking up.

With a raised hand, a smile, and a shake of her head Fumino tried to impart her gratitude but the declining of her offer to aid her in walking. Pride would get the better of Fumino in this instance. Unsteadily, Fumino caught up to the man carrying Michio. She laid her palm acrss Michio's forehead and whispered a little blessing her grandmother had taught her. Michio did not seem well and Fumino backed away to walk behind the large man petting a dog, the man that the girl called Rafael.
[/size]

[bg=#657383][Dash=#FFF9FA][dash=#FFF9FA] [size=+2]Dr. Hadahn[/size]

"Are you a doctor?"

Turning his head to peer at Rafeal from behind his thick cloak, the man shook his head. "Apparently I'm still a miracle worker." His tone was sharp with annoyance. Continuing to lead them down the path, it was fortunate for them to have such a little walk before them. A small cottage with it's window's a lit with a fire's light crept into view amidst the darkness, and thick rain. "Quickly, inside before I have to treat you all for pneumonia as well." the Dr grumbled as he produced a large iron key, and unlatched the lock, pushing the door open. Stepping inside, he walked to a large table in the main room, and swept the contents to the floor consisting of empty bowls, and various rolls of parchment. "You, rest him on the table." He ordered Rafeal, and then looked to Fumino "On the other side of that wall is a pot of hot water, and a basin of cold water. Bring them to me. As for you" he then looked to Celina. "Keep that dog from pissing on my rugs, and see about getting some towels for the man, as well as for yourselves. That hallway there has a door to it's left with clean towels."

Shuffling around the room, Hadahn retrieved a large leather bag, and deposited it on the table as Rafeal laid the unconscious man on the sturdy table. Prying Michio's eye open a moment, he looked at them, and sighed shaking his head. "Foreigners... I fucking hate foreigners..." turning to retrieve a small knife, he began cutting the cloth away from the man's chest, and peeled it back revealing the true extent of Michio's wounds. His chest was literally littered with shards of glass, and there was a strange Y shaped mark along his torso. "Eh? That can't be from the glass..." the Dr. murmured to himself aloud, and reached into his bag once more, pulling out a large strip of cloth that unrolled into various medical instruments.

"Mage, do something useful, and try and get me more light. Cast a spell like you boys tend to do." Hadahn barked, as he retrieved a small pair of forceps, and a small thin piece of metal, that looked as if it was used for prying.

[/dash][/dash][/bg]

[size=-2]
The tone of voice the man used, in addition to his comment about his distaste for foreigners, caused Fumi to scowl darkly. However, if he knew more about Michio's wounds than she herself did, it would be worth it for his health if she quietly accepted his orders and did as she was told. Being ordered around by so many men was growing tiresome, she though to herself. She was bitter about the men being so bull-headed, especially Michio. If he weren't essential to my mission... Fumino shook her head and retrieved first the pot of hot water for the man. A little bow, just a dip, and she went back to retrieve the basin also.

When Fumino returned to Michio's side with the basin in hand, she mustered up trying to speak their language. It was coarse on her ears - she'd never liked the sound of it. Eyeing the peculiar wounds on Michio, she spoke to the doctor-like man. "Do you think he will soon recover or are the wounds very great?" Fumi licked her lips nervously, hoping that she'd chosen to use the right words, words that would communicate her question in at least a semi-effective manner.

If he was to be out of commission for several months, they did not have the time to wait for him to recover. She would have to do something else, away from the plan. Without her guard ensuring that she did as she was told, Fumino realized, who would stop her from simply escaping from this punishment and reverting to her old life? She would no longer have to report and work for her freedom if Michio was no longer watching her...

The thought seemed mutinous and Fumino hung her head in shame, though no one else could know what she was thinking. Michio had risked his life for both of them, not just himself. Making sure that he was cared for was the least that she could do.
[/size]

[bg=darkgreen]At the man's command, Celina went to fetch some dry towels for everyone to use. Along the way, she rolled her eyes and inwardly shook her head. A grouchy looking 'doctor' from the looks of it. He was kind, though, so she wasn't going to verbally chastise him.

Amato was well behaved, as always. He knew better than to shake his fur in someone's house, let alone use it as a bathroom. As he waited for his owner to help him dry off, he obediently sat by the front door, his eyes cautiously watching all the strangers.

"Here," Celina said simply to Hadahn, setting all but one towel near Michio. That one she still held was delicately run over skin she felt was safe to touch; arms, face, neck and legs. There was a grim expression on her face as she did; he looked terrible.

Assuming she wasn't needed any longer, she left the group with a different towel in hand, using it to soak up wetness from her skin and hair. She didn't worry about her clothing; most of it was waterproof. One hand set all her equipment beside her dog while the other draped the same towel over him. Like her hair, his fur stuck up in a messy fashion. The sight of it made her grin, a hand scratching the top of his head while she whispered to Amato: "You look silly."

He seemed to respond with the same words by giving a smug look.

Hastily, Celina's fingers ran through her brown hair, trying to straighten out what got tangled. She was looking around the cottage, memorizing the surroundings so she could feel more comfortable. Running through that weather after encountering a man with fire power still had her shaken up. She doubted she would sleep without that nightmare haunting her. For a long time, too.

Looking back to the set up with the Ukyon man, she folded her arms over her chest and returned to the group. The doctor might need another pair of hands for something, right?
[/bg]