Retha - A New God - ZhongLiong X Nue

Z

ZhongLiong

Original poster
A raven perched on a branch, intently eyeing a particular man. He'd been watching him for a long time, now. Well, a long time to a mortal. This raven was slightly larger than even the largest of its kind, and its eyes, if one could look closely, were very unusual. One was the color of pale gold, the other the color of pure silver. Around his neck was a gold chain, with five square cut emeralds set in silver along it. The largest of these was set in the center. Necklaces and collars on ravens was not unusual, many people in this area had them as pets and familiars.

The raven hopped down the branch, towards the window he was watching through. This particular man interested him for a very good reason. He wanted something that no other mortal did. Something that this raven had. The power of a god.

Mojo lounged back in his office chair, re-reading one of the many books of magic he had in his library. His office was situated somewhere in the middle upon the building in which houses his lovely operation, and out the window he can see one of the many streets that occupy capital of Seatmil. His office is almost littered with magical contraptions and creations of all sorts and kinds. From the floating orbs that provide light to the sigils and glyphs that protect this room, all the way to a little contraption that constantly plays music unheard of by Rethan ears. Outside of the shows, the large-eared Louprii would rather not like to be seen, as in reality, for all the shows he puts up and all the smiles he's gotten from people, it's all just a mere facade, for in reality, Mojo actually despises people all together. He likes being alone, maybe in the comfort of one other like-minded person, and that's it. He just wants to be alone and play with his magical toys.

And yet, he feels as if he's not alone.

He casts a mirror in front of him to see what lies behind him and...there it is. That damned bird again! What does it want? Why does it constantly pester him? At first glance, one would imagine it's a familiar, but what familiar would be following Mojo this whole time? Why can he sense such powerful magic resonating from within the creature? And why is that bird so big? It's time to settle this...that bird is obviously an Imperial spy! Sent here by the Aylans themselves to steal his magic and cut off his ears! Well...he won't have that! Not one bit! Through the view in his mirror, he cast a barrier around the bird that prevented it to move from that barrier, and he swung around and looked at it was an angry face and a twitchy eye.

"You there! Bird-Creature! Tell me your evil intentions right now! Or I'll proceed to do...terrible things to you! I 'aven't thought of something yet...but I will! And you won't like it!"

The raven burst into a racket of caws, and damned if it didn't sound like laughter. It almost fell off the branch, and one wing came forward, reminiscent of a person holding their chest. After a few minutes it calmed down, looking Mojo dead in the eye. A single wing flick dispelled the barrier, and it hopped off the branch and onto the window sill.

"I'm hurt. What makes you think a simple bird is evil? Or a spy?"

The voice rang through the louprii's mind, amused and jovial. The raven tilted its head to the side, tipping its beak down and dropping the lower jaw to mimic a grin. This was definitely going to be amusing. It ruffled its feathers, head upright again, and stepped off the sill and into the room. Before it hit the floor a raven tengrii stood in it's place, dressed like a well-off pirate from Isla. Red and gold one-sleeved robe, with a deep blue sleeveless top under it. His legs were covered with loose black trousers gathered just above the ankle of his clawed bird feet- that is to say, just where the feathers end. Around his neck was the gold and emerald necklace, shimmering in the light of the mage-orbs.

Then he spoke, the same voice that rang through Mojo's head now coming from the beak of the tengrii.

"I like you. I think I can help."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mojo stepped back, astonished at the creature's mere power. He knew he sensed great power within the bird, but to easily dis-spell a barrier like that? That barrier was enough to stall even hardened magicians, much less some talking bird! It started laughing and grinning at him, and he just sat back in his chair, arms crossed, ears flattened, and beginning to pout like a little child. Then the bird formed into a new shape: A Tengrii. The Louprii sat back, and picked at his fanged mouth with a toothpick.

"I like you. I think I can help."

The Louprii paused for a moment, and disintegrated his toothpick with a simple toss in the air. "Help me? What in the world would I need help with?" he looked up at the ceiling and groaned. "With the power you have, I might as well call you a God! Ha! With that logic, the only way you'd help me is by killing yourself and letting me absorb that luscious power of yours..but I'm sure you won't let that happen! Oho no! Of COURSE you wouldn't let it happen!"

Mojo sprang up into action, and out of thin air his staff appeared in his right hand. It was as black as the night, with engraved runic symbols covering the length of the staff, presumably to store magical power, at the top of the staff, a clear-cut jewel that glowed an iridescent blue. He pointed it at the Tengrii pirate-god-thingy, speaking calmly and soothing as if he wasn't standing before a god right now. "I mean, I could just kill you right now, wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world...but sure why not? I would LOVE to hear what you have to say." The gem in his staff grew a little bit brighter with the Louprii's words as he tilted his head and donned a wolfish grin, as if there's any other grin a Louprii can make. This occasion, however, seemed oh so very right to use it.

He dropped his beak into a grin again. "Have you ever thought of how the gods came to be in the first place?" Such a thought had once occurred to him, ages ago. "Killing a god isn't the only way to gain that power, you know. And I have a bit much on my plate anyway, my most recent stunt has two countries getting ready to go to war. I'm about to bring new people in to go traipsing around the world for me." He gave a harsh laugh, much like the ones from earlier. "I wanted to offer you a path to gain your own power, not just steal it. Though stealing is fine by me, honestly." He lifted one hand and gently lowered the ebon staff. "Though I'll only share if you stop threatening me." He looked around the room, metallic eyes noting the huge range of magical artifacts. "Oh! You're the one who got the jade ring of the dragon!" He needed to stop babbling and let the Louprii think.

The Long-eared Louprii struggled to hold the staff up as the God finished his words. "A pacifistic way to become a God eh? Sounds like a nicer option I'm sure...but how am I to know you won't just bamboozle me at the very end, or better yet as soon as I let my guard down? I am not the one who takes a liking to bamboozlement, good sir!" As he felt the magic come off of his staff he quickly stopped aiming at the man and instead crossed his arms once more in disappointment at the god, that is, until he mentioned one of his artifacts: a 'Jade Ring of the Dragon'. He thought of it's location in his mind, and POOF! With a small puff of smoke an ornate green box the size of his hand was revealed, although he held it tightly against his chest. "You mean this thingy? At least...I'm sure it's this thingy. I've been told that if it was the real thing that you Gods would know about it! Hehehe! But it's not for you just yet...tell me what you want with it, and what I get in return? I hear I have godlike powers in my foreseeable future...hehehehe...HAHAHAHA!!!" The thought of being a god alone couldn't contain the man as he burst out laughing. To think, all this time, to be some God all one had to do was ask and carry a ring with them? How preposterous! Yet...how strangely delightful...

The tengrii grinned again as the mage teleported the box to himself. "I do like bamboozling people," he admitted. "But you are not on that list. I am planning on confounding others with this plan." He turned back to the louprii. "And that ring will give you an aura like those of dragons- power and possibly fear. It does have the downside of dragons sensing it and attacking, though. See, there were a number of them killed to create that artifact. One of my colleagues, the lady Sabella, has been begging to send someone on a quest to destroy it." He looked around the room some more. "Well, I rather like the fact that it still exists. Oh, and collecting magic items won't give you the power of a god." He waited, knowing that suspense would likely prompt the man to push for the answer. Not too long, though. "See, you have to figure out how to pull that power from the Weave itself. The source of life itself. How you do that..." He pulled a feather from one wing, and with a flick of the wrist he was suddenly holding an egg. Raven black and smooth as silk, about the size of a kitten. "If you want help, just name this." He set it on the desk, then was gone. No sound, no smoke, not even a sign on the floor from where he stood. Nothing told that the deity had been in the room at all, except the egg sitting on the desk.

"HEhehe...hahaha...ha..."
Mojo stopped laughing and slumped down onto his seat, resting his head upon his left arm, and letting out a deep sigh. Everything he knew, every bit of magic he stole and killed to gain...all meant nothing when faced with an actual god. There was his lifelong obsession, smashed and shattered right before his eyes, and what laid as the remains? An egg.

Well, he had no other choice now, either continue to be an annoyance to the god and become smoldering ash, or follow him and also become smoldering ash...with the small chance of a reward. It's not like there was really a choice to the matter, and it only made Mojo brimming with anger inside.

Yet still, he had to name it...what to name it...what to na...

"AHA! I shall name you...Something Useful! First name Something, last name Useful! It's perfect! At least...I hope so, a God wouldn't give me something useless, now would he? OHHH Something, you're going to be in some rather dangerous hands...and I hope you like that, because I SURE WILL, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

He quickly stifled his laughter to focus on that egg, hands resting on his cane, eagerly waiting for Something to pop out of it's shell.

Something Useful... Something Useful... Something Useful...

The egg wobbled slightly, a very soft muffled sound coming from inside it. A crack appeared, a thin fine line that quickly widened. Soon the egg cracked completely, and a small fluff with a beak, two wings, a tail,and four legs flopped out of it. Bleary green eyes opened and looked right at Mojo, with a soft chirp escaping it's beak.

Food? The baby gryphling's voice echoed weakly in the louprii's mind.

Mojo smiled, giving Something a nice pat on the head as he twirled around his finger, signalling people to come. "Why, of course, little one." As he finished, an old cougrii with a warming smile dressed in servants clothing, came forth, sporting a wide array of foods and sweets, all from the lap of Seatmili luxury. He was served a plate, to which he extended the offer to the gryphling and the servant, the three of them eventually sitting together around his office desk, with Mojo purely unsure on how to handle this. He decided to greet the baby, despite the thing just being born minutes ago.

"So...how are you feeling today, Something?" The Louprii giggled at the thought of Something giving a comprehensible answer, but nonetheless expected it to answer as it was served a fine plate of food and drink.

Something gave a happy chirp at the pat on it's head, tail swishing back and forth a bit. At catching sight of the food, it started giving demanding chirps, hopping forward to try and steal some. It calmed down, though, as a late was set before it. Anything was fair game to the hungry creature, and it set into devouring everything on the plate.

Looking up at the question, a sharp eye would notice that it was already a bit larger than it had been. 'Hungry! So hungry!' It gave another demanding chirp, turning back down to scarf down some figs. 'Oh, and only you can hear me~' There was a smug sounding chirp at that, and it turned green eyes back up to Mojo. 'I need to grow up to help you. I need food to grow up.' The plate before it was already empty, and it was most definitely bigger than before, the scraggly-looking fluff of fur and feathers looking slightly sleeker.

Mojo brushed the gryphling aside and spoke "Oh you're fiine, little gryphling thingy. My main concern lies with how I'm going to feed you. You are eating entire buffet!" He got up, tapping on the desk with his cane and tapping the air with his hands, magical sparkles of blue forming illustrations as he thought.

"Well, I suppose even your hunger might be useful against my enemies. Because I can't feed you forever and it would cause this whole slurr of problems and messes that I just can't be bothered with. so instead...I'll just take you to some warehouse or granary, cause some small food crisis, and handle it from there, whatcha say? How hungry are ya?" Mojo sliced through the open air with his staff, an image opening with crates of food appearing from just beyond.

Something gave a crowing laugh, jumping around in place. 'Yes, food! All day, and I will be an adult!' It laughed again, rearing up to flap it's fluffy wings and spinning in a circle. 'Any food, all the food! Let me eat, and I can help you~' It settled down again, suddenly waiting patiently to be allowed to go. 'Oh, I am the only one of me right now.' It sounded smug again, and curled it's tail around its paws. 'Hurry up and let me ruin a merchant's week. I'm still hungry.'