Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Into the tavern of Heldren walked the tall, grey skinned humanoid. Having traveled from the hamlet he calls home, the oread has set out to fix the problem of the snows blanketing the forests. Determined, stubborn, he bears no more than a set of leather armor and a massive two handed hammer, with spikes on the ends. Believing that a fix can simply be found in town, he first settles in, orders an ale, and broods over his drink, barely more than grunting at the barkeep, and outwardly ignoring the other patrons. Patiently, he waits until he hears an opportunity to act on his self-given mission.

A whisp of a man slunk around the shopfronts of the bazaar, trying his best to not draw any attention to himself. He breezed around a chattering group of halflings, wafted past a pair of elves who were indulging in the local fare at the corner delicatessen, and politely excused himself as he pressed his lithe frame between two dwarves who were arguing over the craftsmanship of some pewter dinnerware. He tucked a silver-blonde strand of hair behind his near-transparent ear, lowered his head, and slipped around a corner and into a fruit stand.
"Mmm... mango... mango... where are the mangoes?" Muttering to himself, he smacked his thin lips together, anticipating the sweet-tart flesh he'd been craving for weeks. A passing traveler from a far-off locale he'd chatted with in a pub had shared with him some mangoes, kiwis, and papayas as they reminisced about their distant homes. Ah-ha! Mangoes! He reached out excitedly, ready to grab the juicy red and yellow fruit, when his thin knuckles bumped into a furry arm.
"Ooh! Beg your pardon! Just grabbin' a mango!" He picked one up, tossed it into the air and over his shoulder, and caught it behind himself, winking at the fuzzy face before him. "Have a pleasant one, ey?"
"Keep the change!" He flipped a silver coin to the shopkeep, tipped his hat, and exited back out into the unseasonable crisp winter air. This flimsy coat would never suffice to hold off the bonechilling cold that had crept in so suddenly over the last few days. He'd have to remedy that soon, but this was not the time. That monkeyfolk had intrigued Tuuli, not a difficult feat, considering how boring things had been getting before it got cold.
"Oop! Sorry! Pardon me!"
"Watch where yer goin', lad! Tha's twice now you've stepped on me toe!"
The sylph slunk dismissively past the gruff dwarf and into a nearby shop selling scarves and winter hats for a better view of the fruit stand.
Winter hat and scarf purchased, Tuuli watched for the furry man's departure, then followed him unobtrusively down the street. The man purposefully tapped his walking staff along the street, striding towards the temple of Irori, and stepped inside. Neat! Someone who strove for physical and mental perfection! Tuuli made a mental note about the stranger, and sat down under a tree to enjoy his mango. The winter chill whipped around his ears, blowing his silver-almost-blue hair into his eyes, and Tuuli smiled. A good snack, an interesting quarry, and a comfortable place from which to observe. It was going to be a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
No-Tail tilts her head back to laugh boisterously. "Ha! Did he do anything while he was here?" She points up to an empty space on the wall. It looks like something hung there. "He came by to challenge us for our dojo's sign. As it is not here, you can guess how that went. I was off on an errand at the time, or I would have liked to fight him. Few can stand against my Shatter-the-Jade-Tiger Strike." She commits to a flurry attack against mid-air: her strikes are slower than most monk's flurries, but it's obvious that she has a great deal of strength to them: possibly enhanced with ki energy. A monk like Ayollo can tell that her strikes would be exceptionally painful. She grins, "As it stands, he managed to fight off all four of the highest-ranking disciples... but the head priest refused to fight him. Our sensei said he had 'not yet earned the right to challenge a Master'. This set him off something fierce." She pointed at a rock, which had been hit with an open palm attack, leaving an indent in the stone.

-------------

Elsewhere, in the city of Heldren, far from the rest of the characters by at least a day, sits the oread known as Syngman. It was a slow day at the tavern, with a great deal of the boisterous folks that were common there. A trio of musicians played to amuse the crowd. Strangely, the rock-blooded barbarian was not the only strange creature there. In fact, three patrons shared a sort of oddness about them.
The first was a dark-looking man who sat straight in his chair. By his black hair and pale complexion, it was clear that the man was Chelaxian. By his armor: probably one of the nation's infamous Hellknights. The other patrons gave him a wide area all to himself. He drank nothing, his arms folded over his chest as he silently fumed, boring a hole through the table with his stare. He wore his armor, with a bastard sword made of a black metal laying at his side. He gave off a nauseating aura, and was a little hard to ignore.
Far in the back of the tavern, a tan-furred catfolk lay upon a bench on the far wall. He seemed to be unconscious or merely sleeping. A small, housecat-looking male, it seemed. It was clear that he was quite at peace, dreaming about something-or-other. His tail twitched and curled in his sleep... or perhaps not. Every once in a while, one of his eyes would open and he would peek around.
Finally, another human male. It was hard to tell his ethnicity by looking at him, but the messy hair and lightly-shaven face implied that he might actually be of Ulfen descent. While his shoulders were broad, he does not possess the physical might of the northern men. Upon the table in front of him lie a multitude of papers, which he grabs and frowns at periodically. A quill was in his hand, writing into a tome before him. He wore a bandolier filled with potions, and a pair of glasses rest on his nose. Every once in a while, he would emit a very low and somewhat animal-like noise, at one point startling a passing barmaid. He doesn't notice, rather engrossed with what was before him.

Ayollo stroked his chin in thought. Was he going to challenge dojo after dojo? His thoughts dispersed at No-Tail's demonstration of her attack. The Vanara managed a smile, indeed impressed by her moves. As she spoke again, Ayollo sighed heavily. "I don't know what exactly he's tryin' to prove, but.." This drive of his was making his friend far more violent than he could ever imagined. He didn't like it. He wanted his best friend back.
Ayollo felt more determined than ever to find him. "Thank you, No-Tail. You've been a great help!"

"Of course!" No-Tail states with a smile, "Of course, you could always challenge us and see how you measure up?" She seems rather eager for a fight. Her instructor, however, gives her a very hard-to-read glance. She settles. "...Maybe some other time, though." She looks rather embarrassed.

----------

Meanwhile, Eddy had walked back to the Gozreh temple, and had situated himself outside. The fish were cooked simply, having been too hungry to wait for the pineapple and mango. Passerby waved at him every so often, including a few sailors who wanted to pay their respects to the Goddess of Storms. They always seemed surprised to see the undine there, some of the foreign ones going so far as to ask if he was an Avatar, which never ceased to amuse him.

Eventually, Minna returns. "Fish for yourself? Where'd your friend go?" Eddy shrugs, "Fish for two. Three, if you're interested in a smaller meal. As for Ayollo, he's just exploring the town for a bit."

Minna shakes her head, "Already ate. Thanks, though." She moved forward, sitting down next to Eddy and looking up at the sunrise. It was a long while before either of them spoke. "You're going to be gone a long time," she stated. Eddy looked to her, raising a blue-colored eyebrow. "Augury?" She nods, causing him to chuckle: "You know, looking into the future's going to make you a nervous wreck."

"I already am," she insists, winking at him. She looks into the fire, shivering slightly. "It's getting colder. Too cold for summer. You noticed, didn't you?" Eddy nods, prompting her to continue: "It's not Gozreh's work. I'm sure of it. None of the other priests or priestesses think it's the work of their deity, either. Which settles it: this is clearly the work of an arcanist."

That got Eddy to frowning. Quills in his ears and arms quivered, fury rising in his heart. A touch from the half-elven woman cooled him. "I know," she stated - it was the undine's way to stay quiet about that sort of thing, but she knew it upset him. It was three minutes later when he said, with conviction: "I'm going to stop it."

Minna does not smile when she responds: "I know."

Ayollo chuckled, nodding. "Indeed. I'll keep the offer in mind." His tail curled and swayed almost cautiously. He bowed low and spoke again when he rose. "I should head back. Again, you've been a great help!" With that, the Vanara started to make his leave. So, he was to meet Eddy back at the temple.. or the docks. Might as well check the temple first.

Syngman, having finished off a slowly drunk second ale, decided to have a look around. Hoping that at least one person in the tavern might have some clue about what was happening in the forests with the snow. Noticing right away the man in the armor, he decided to stand up and make his way to the man's table. In a somewhat crude, blunt way, he spoke to the man "Excuse me. Do you know anything of the snows in the forests surrounding town? It is too warm for this. I need any information you have of it. If you please." Stubbornly, he stands waiting, looking - atleast to an oread- fairly expectantly for anything the man might offer him.

When Ayollo returns to the temple, Minna and Eddy look up at him, changing from their originally-somber moods to one of interest. They both ask a question - "Did you get the fruit?" "Did you find what you were looking for?" - At the same time. They look at each other apologetically, before looking back to the vanara. Eddy proclaims: "Ended up starting without you - sorry about that, it was getting late. Expected you to be at the Irori temple for a lot longer."

---------------------------

The dark-armored man looks down at Syngman, in more ways than one: the tall man looked upon the oread with a scowl of utter contempt. Dark hair tumbled down around his shoulders, and his face seemed to hold fury back by the merest sliver. However, he spoke curtly: "No." He gestures with a gauntlet-ed hand out the door. "The chill has been appearing in pockets around the world. There is a forest near this town that is covered in snow, rather than just the cold." He shakes his head, "Devil's work." A Chelaxian statement: at this distance, the sigil of a Hellknight is very prominent upon his black, spiked armor. "I sought to investigate, but the townsfolk will not talk to me. They assume I am on an inquisition. They are correct, but it is for their benefit. A Hellknight's purpose is to create a perfected world through order - these winters are perverting order. The natural order, but order all the same. It is not winter's time, thus: I have chosen to become involved."

With the two speaking at the same time, Ayollo quietly snickered. "Yes, to both of you." He grinned, waving his hand dismissively. He approached Eddy while digging into his bag. He had forgotten that he had bought a pineapple, and thus forgot about the prickly spines on them. Ayollo yelped, withdrawing his hand quickly. No blood, but it hurt. "Ah, er.. it's alright!"
Carefully now, the Vanara took out the pineapple from its leaves. "Heh! There we go!" He nodded. As much as he would like to track down Dizmu quickly, he wouldn't ditch Eddy. Not without paying him for helping him out anyway.

Tuuli watched the monkey-man depart the temple of Irori and head for the temple of Gozreh. Religious lot, these fur-folk! His own reverence for Gozreh drove Tuuli into the temple as well to pay his respects and possibly bunk down for the night. His quarry appeared to have met up with two more unique folks: an exceptionally beautiful woman with pointed ears, dressed all in vines, and a blue man with fins and gills and the like. Exciting! He set about his usual temple worship ritual, keeping one eye upon the unique trio. They were SO interesting and amusing to watch! If he was lucky, maybe they'd invite him to chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.