Real Pictures or Art?

I use art, because most of my settings are inspired by old school animu and stuff like Batman the Animated Series. Fits my mental pictures than real people tend to. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

I prefer art. Most of the RPs I make, and take part in are set in anime-inspired universes. Additionally, I use art because I'm not exactly comfortable with using images of real life celebrities and people. I tend to try to not RP with people who use celebrity or real life face claims. I have nothing against people who do use real pictures, but something about it makes me uncomfortable.

I either write out the description, draw my own picture, or both (usually both). It is a Personal Choice not to use any art that wasn't either 1. made by me or 2. made for me (by gift or commission).
It's one part because I can and one part thats how it Was in my first rp group. You either made/obtained your own art, used a doll maker (remember when those were popular for ocs? haha), or wrote it out. You weren't allowed to use anything you didn't have explicit permission from the artist to use, and I've just always carried that with me.
I've been unable to app to some rps because of it, yeah, but it just feels Weird to use other people's art now (especially now that I am older and actually like in art school and people have payed me to draw their characters) and it kind of became my own personal Code so That's That.
I'd say as a side effect that made me a real stickler for sourced art (that includes photography people! Even if its a show screenshot say what show!) but I think being an artist I'd still be a stickler even if I did use other people's works for a face claim. It's kind of awkward and uncool to see a personal piece being used or, god forbid, someone using one of YOUR ocs as theirs without your permission. Not to mention it also gets weird with commissioned pieces sometimes the client doesnt want that going around and when it comes to Japanese artists on pixiv there are rules about copyright and reposting (which is why when an artist gets their art plastered everywhere without their permission they either vanish or change names).

That being said I have no issue if you use drawn art or photography, as long as you source it ;3
Though I do admit that sometimes I find using photography weird because, like, sometimes ppl just use celebrities or like random selfies off of facebook and that seems... Weird... I'm not sure if I would be freaked out or flattered if someone used one of my selfies as a face claim... huu...

AND as a side note to the people making a stink about not having the money to commission: Ask the artist if they do trades and they if would be willing to trade art for writing. It's not something people think about often, so most artists won't consider it unless you ask. Sure you may still get turned down (some folks don't accept trades at all) but it's one more option to you. Sometimes artists also do raffles or give-aways, especially if you follow them on twitter/deviantart/tumblr. So don't just look at an artist's page once and then forget about it if you can't pay them, you may miss out on a perfect opportunity to get some free art of your character. (That being said DON'T try to make friends with someone and expect to get free art, that's just rude and manipulative)

I kind of have the answer here. To me Appearance Has to Match the Source;

CHARACTERS - Let's Talk Appearances

^Shameless plug, but it honestly drives me insane when someone uses an anime picture in a Live Action RP.

Live Action RPs, Live Action Pictures or Realistic Images like this

realnot.jpg

If its an Anime Rp use anime pictures

and so and so forth

Can I just add a small note... be careful when using art, especially from places like DeviantART. Many artists don't want you using their work for things they haven't approved. If possible, you really should ask the artist if you can use their piece. If you are unable to contact them, I'd suggest at least linking to their page to give them credit. Just be wary and as considerate as possible. :P Someone spent a lot of time doing that piece!

• Love
Reactions: AutumnWyvern
Given I roleplay a lot of decidedly less-realistic fantasy stuff (not necessarily high-fantasy, as it's usually based in a collaborative universe supersetting that myself, @Red Revolver and a few others who aren't members here actively contribute to), I tend towards using art. Hell, my avatar is an icon I had commissioned for one of my Big Six characters.

As for the how, I usually commission an artist I know particularly well to draw my characters. She doesn't demand reference images and is pretty good at deciphering what exactly it is people want from text. I always go to her because I want to go for a consistent style across all of my character images. Well, that and I can't really afford the $200+ USD to commission more popular, in-demand artists.

My personal preference for art or real picture as a GM... I don't really have one, nor do most of my friends. A couple use art from boorus or Pixiv. We're pretty relaxed, and we always credit (especially if booru- / Pixiv-sourced art ends up on our wiki). Mostly, the others use anime-style art. I prefer to commission my own for the most accurate representation of my characters possible.

If I am not in hurry and the RP doesn't ask for real picture face claim, I would draw them myself. I rather use art (don't care if it is anime or others, as long as I like it) than the real picture. It feels kind of wrong of taking someone's face even if it is from a stock photos.