Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LogicfromLogic

Original poster
I was thinking to myself about quotes that have made an impact in my life and I thought that would make a great discussion. There are so many out there that mean a lot to people because of some odd reason, or even no reason other than that quote being so inspiring that you couldn't help but love it.

What's your favourite quote?

Does it have special meaning to you?

Why or why not?

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

Helen Keller

Yes, because I can really feel what Helen meant by taking my daily stroll in my favourite park. Especially if I go without my shoes, I tend to lose myself in the walk, and feel it deeper than before.

Why or why not?

Because I feel that nature can bring everyone to a peaceful place.

Who sows honor reaps virtue.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Not only is it a quote from my favorite person in history, an artist, a man of many trades, this quote always reminds me to do what is right instead of wrong, to always take the high road and never do what comes easiest.

Why or why not?
Simply because always doing the easy thing can harm you tremendously in the long run, I have watched many a friend lose themselves to the conveniences of today, taking short cuts and the low roads in life don't help you grow and certainly don't help you to help others grow. It is obvious that you reap what you sow.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Yes, it absolutely does. This single quote has created the foundation of who I ended up becoming as a man.

Why or why not?

I grew up with a strong sense of justice, and a deep hatred towards injustice. I cannot stand when the wrong go unpunished, and when the good go unheralded. This has been a part of me for as long as I can remember. When I was in high school, I discovered the quote when writing an essay, and it has stuck with me ever since.

I firmly believe it. The only reason evil runs rampant is because good men allow it to. We let evil rationalize itself, we let it make us look away in favour of money or power. We let it thrive under the banner of good. This incenses me.

If I had the means, I'd be a damned superhero if I could. This driving will for the search for justice has led me in loops back to becoming a Police Officer, or an FBI Agent. I considered going to Quantico, but I'm not sure I could pass their examinations, or even their qualifications. Oh, well.

In real life, I practice this. I don't let "wrongs" go unnoticed; I call out bitches at the checkout line, I call out thieves, I've stood down men abusing women in public. I won't let evil go unchecked. I cannot, and I will not.

Sorry for the rant.

If I had the means, I'd be a damned superhero if I could. This driving will for the search for justice has led me in loops back to becoming a Police Officer, or an FBI Agent. I considered going to Quantico, but I'm not sure I could pass their examinations, or even their qualifications. Oh, well.

Sorry for the rant.

Another quote I love is you never know what you can do unless you try.

Actually, I have two.
'Knowledge is power, knowledge shared is power multiplied.' Robert Noyce

'To study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.' Leonardo da Vinci

These two go hand in hand, and both are people who are well known and respected throughout. Robert Noyce was one of the founders of Intel and the other you should already know.

Both had purpose, both were ahead of their time. Look where learning has gotten us. Look what it has become. From things like an olive oil press and tanks and ornithopters to creating a way where we can experience all of that in our own house. Hell, even in our own hand.

Knowledge does not stop. It will forever keep on growing.

And that is why it is important to me. Because learning about life is life.

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli

"All confidence is faked"

Yes. Definitely. It's helped me learn to be a real person. C:

Why or why not?

I was pretty damn shy as a kid- mostly I disliked people, but misanthropy quickly lead to xenophobia and a general fear of opening my mouth in public since people didn't usually like what I had to say. I think I was fourteen when I realized that those confident, beautiful people out there doing their own thing like they'd never been judged for it in their lives used to be like me. Practically no one is born without fear of social stigma, of being laughed at and rejected... confidence isn't a god-given gift. It's a skill you work on. If you fake being confident long enough, you'll forget that you're faking it.
For the longest time social stigma was my only fear... well, that and big dogs. But now that I've overcome both of them, it really does feel like I can take on the world. There's nothing that I'm afraid of and it feels awesome. I'm now the example used for giving presentations, the person that can walk up to a total stranger and make them laugh and learn their life story in fifteen minutes, the girl that doesn't have to be pretty to walk down the street like I've never had a crisis of confidence. I never thought I could be that person, but Hell, here I am. There's nothing in the world that can make me back down or flinch away.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." -- Aristotle

Of course. This quote tells me a lot about how education and passion go hand in hand. Teaching/learning facts is easy, but to do so with heart... Is much harder, yet so much more rewarding. People respond more strongly to those who intertwine emotion with their jobs, hobbies, etc... Since discovering these words of my favorite philosopher, I've really held them close to me. I'm drawn to people who are visibly and audibly passionate about what they're teaching me. The dull, cold individuals are whose knowledge is no longer in my mind, because it wasn't memorable enough. If their heart is not in it, mine is not either. I aspire to be how this quote suggests while I'm tutoring, writing, tinkering with my computer, being a mama--generally everything I do that involves learning.

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli
Status
Not open for further replies.