Quotable

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitti

What is the ONE quote that speaks to you the most, reaches you on your deepest level?

"There are many types of monsters that scare me: Monsters who cause trouble without showing themselves, monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood... and then, monsters who tell nothing but lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance: They are much more cunning than others. They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart; they eat even though they've never experienced hunger; they study even though they have no interest in academics; they seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such monsters, I would likely be eaten by them... because in truth, I am that monster."
- L

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
― Mahatma Gandhi

This is my life mantra. If you hate the way you are, hate your life, hate anything - the only way to change it is to BE the change yourself. YOU have to take the initiative, YOU have to make the difference. You might not succeed, but making the effort and taking those first steps yourself will get the ball rolling. And it can actually inspire other people to make a change too. Do not sit and lament how terrible something is and then make no effort to change it.

I apply this to every area of my life, from fighting depression to how I manage a community. If you want to make a difference, you have to be the example. :D

"It doesn't matter how big, strong, smart, wise, fast a person he is; he has to sit down or squat to take a shit like everyone else"
- My Father

Slightly humoristic, but it simply implies that no one is better or above you, but also that you are not above anyone else.

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

- George Washington

Seeing politics currently dividing the my country and ripping it apart, I have never found more truth in this. They all just want to blame each other, and are blind to the inevitable collapse that they are going to cause.

"Run when you have to, fight if you must, rest when you can." -Elyas Machera, Wheel of Time.

"People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude." - John C. Maxwell

There's a reason why I try to maintain a positive outlook on things.

If it matters, you will find a way. If it doesn't, you will find an excuse.

c0bb3270f189682f3a65473df5c1a137.jpg

Reactions: Jorick
"...there's some friendship in the world, and it's worth fightin' for."

I heard it on an MLP fan video. Regardless, it gets me every time.

"I never allow myself to become discouraged under any circumstances. I recall that after we had conducted thousands of experiments on a certain project without solving the problem, one of my associates, after we had conducted the crowning experiment and it had proved a failure, expressed discouragement and disgust over our having failed 'to find out anything.' I cheerily assured him that we had learned something. For we had learned for a certainty that the thing couldn't be done that way, and that we would have to try some other way. We sometimes learn a lot from our failures if we have put into the effort the best thought and work we are capable of." -Thomas Edison

We should not teach great books; we should teach a love of reading. ~B. F. Skinner

While the context is of a war, this quote has always come back to me and I think it is universally applicable.

"But you were only an idea to me before, an abstraction that lived in my mind and called forth its appropriate response. It was that abstraction I stabbed. But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony - Forgive me, comrade; how could you be my enemy?" -Erich Maria Remarque

• Love
Reactions: Peter Feels
"There is something infantile in the presumption that somebody else has a responsibility to give your life meaning and point... The truly adult view, by contrast, is that our life is as meaningful, as full and as wonderful as we choose to make it." - Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion

"Do to others what you wish to be done to you."

- Basically everyone.

I can't stress this one enough. Do you want people to be nice to you? Be nice to people.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie

Diana's quote of Ghandi was in second, but this one takes the cake for me.

[spoili]
a69e4a4ac8dd00e5a74191cd3df51562.jpg

dade29ee9c662d48b88a4e9cf61bbbfe.jpg

photo.jpg
[/spoili]

Always relevant. Man, Pokémon writing.

"It is by faith that poetry, as well as devotion, soars above this dull earth; that imagination breaks through its clouds, breathes a purer air, and lives in a softer light." - Henry Giles

• Love
Reactions: Brovo
"Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym."― Stephen King

I couldn't pick just one..so here are two more.

"God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas but for scars." -Elbert Hubbard

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Status
Not open for further replies.