Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
To what extent is non-sexual nudity allowed in mixed-age-group RP's? (I'm not talking about images -- just descriptions in RP posts.)

I GM a magic school RP, and one of my players contacted me saying they wanted their character to use magic to "dissolve everyone's clothes", therefore making everyone naked -- just for shenanigans' sake. I don't expect any actual sex to come out of this, but I remember hearing that the general rule of thumb for sex scenes is that a fade-to-black scenario is ok, but anything that involves descriptions of genitalia is the sort of thing that needs to be spoiler-tabbed and can't happen between teens and adults. So my fear is that, even if it's not part of an actual sex scene, descriptions of genitals in an age-mixed RP might still fall into not-ok territory. Granted, I don't really think that most of the members here would have much of a reason to delve into graphic descriptions, but I am worried that even vague descriptions might fall into somewhat of a gray area, or that some slightly-more-graphic things might slip through the cracks without me noticing (since it's a big RP, and I can't always keep a close eye on the IC). And since the plan is that all the characters in the RP will be naked, including those interacting in large groups, it wouldn't be very easy to ensure that such interactions only happen between members of the same age group.

So, in summary:
  1. Does nudity with descriptions of genitals count as "sexual content" for age-restriction purposes, even if it's technically not a sex scene?
  2. If that is the case -- how far is too far when it comes to more vague descriptions? (And how worried should I be that something might slip through?

While I'm assuming that most players in the RP will be able to keep it classy, I'm not sure I want to allow such a scene if it's so close to not-ok territory (especially if I feel I won't be able to watch it closely).

Err, what sort of shenanigans exactly? Perhaps if I had a clearer idea of what they were hoping to achieve with it, it might be easier to say. I wouldn't flatout say, for all cases across the board, that nonsexual nudity is impossible but especially in a large group like this, everyone suddenly becoming naked ... I think has a pretty high risk of toeing the line?

Err, what sort of shenanigans exactly? Perhaps if I had a clearer idea of what they were hoping to achieve with it, it might be easier to say. I wouldn't flatout say, for all cases across the board, that nonsexual nudity is impossible but especially in a large group like this, everyone suddenly becoming naked ... I think has a pretty high risk of toeing the line?
Basically it's just a large-scale prank. A character plans to make everyone naked ~just for the lolz~

Hence why I called it "non-sexual", because it technically doesn't involve sex or sexual acts... and the only thing even debatably sexual about it is the mere fact that everyone's bits will be out in the open, hence why I wanted to know if that kind of nudity counts as being "sexual content", since there are really no sexual actions present, just... body parts.

The line on this one is probably going to be descriptors. If anyone mentions genitalia, even in a non-sexual format, it's going to have gone too far. If people just say that they lose their clothes and are now looking for something to cover up, that's pretty much okay. But if there are explicit references to dicks or vaginas, or people start describing being naked, then it's a no.

Since this is a large enough group that you don't think you'll be able to keep an eye on what everyone says, I'd probably encourage you not to go fully naked. Could you have them stripped down to their underwear for the lolz?

Reactions: Kitti
Could you have them stripped down to their underwear for the lolz?
That was one suggestion I brought up, and I hadn't gotten a hard yes or no yet on whether or not he'd be cool with that.

Another suggestion he brought up was just limiting this event to a particular location (containing 4-6 characters), rather than making it RP-wide, which might be easier to keep tabs on.

I had a question about sexual content for my Superheroes RP, just gonna quote it here in case it's useful 8D

yellow
About sexual content:

I've discussed it with Diana and Alan.

We have the OK to post sexual content under these conditions:

1- Must always be under a spoiler/hider tag, with a warning that it is a sexually explicit scene.

2- Must be combined with a regular post.

3- Cannot happen for every post. This means no back-and-forth sexing up. Those must be done exclusively by PM or through any other IM. You can ask me to create a specific channel for you and the player you plan on smutting with on the Discord server, and you will have a channel no one else but you two have access to. If you have any concerns about it or are not sure if what you want to post is OK, feel free to ask me.

If you ever receive a warning despite following those guidelines, please let me know and I will look into it.

EDIT
Just for clarification -- this is why I only accepted redstar members and that all characters are above 18. Sexy roleplay with members of different group ages (redstar vs bluestar) are not allowed, please keep in mind Iwaku sexual roleplay policies.

I had a question about sexual content for my Superheroes RP, just gonna quote it here in case it's useful 8D
>.> Thanks, but that doesn't really tell me anything about the extent to which nudity counts as "sexual content" for the purposes of all those rules...

I think the other staff here have already handled my main questions, though. Right now the big thing I'm wondering is whether or not the player's suggestion of limiting this event to just one location in the RP (containing 4-6 players) would be a good idea. I think it'll be fine so long as we can moderate that smaller batch of players, but, since this idea as a whole seems to be toeing the line quite a bit, I figured I should double-check before giving it the a-ok.

>.> Thanks, but that doesn't really tell me anything about the extent to which nudity counts as "sexual content" for the purposes of all those rules...

I think the other staff here have already handled my main questions, though. Right now the big thing I'm wondering is whether or not the player's suggestion of limiting this event to just one location in the RP (containing 4-6 players) would be a good idea. I think it'll be fine so long as we can moderate that smaller batch of players, but, since this idea as a whole seems to be toeing the line quite a bit, I figured I should double-check before giving it the a-ok.
To my knowledge, nudity is not sexual content. From what I understand, it's a dude running around naked for the lulz. As long as the players don't start describing his genitals in great detail without a spoiler hider, then it's perfectly fine. It also depends if you have a mix of red/blue stars in your RP.

To my knowledge, nudity is not sexual content. From what I understand, it's a dude running around naked for the lulz. As long as the players don't start describing his genitals in great detail without a spoiler hider, then it's perfectly fine. It also depends if you have a mix of red/blue stars in your RP.
Well yeah, the RP is mixed, and the main concern is that it's a large group and that if all characters involved are naked, then it seems likely that descriptions of genitals will come up at some point. The general consensus so far seems like it would be a bad idea for a big RP like mine, for those exact reasons, but the player who wanted to make this happen suggested just limiting it to a smaller group. So now the question is whether or not it seems feasible to make that work.

Well yeah, the RP is mixed, and the main concern is that it's a large group and that if all characters involved are naked, then it seems likely that descriptions of genitals will come up at some point. The general consensus so far seems like it would be a bad idea for a big RP like mine, for those exact reasons, but the player who wanted to make this happen suggested just limiting it to a smaller group. So now the question is whether or not it seems feasible to make that work.
There is the possibility of being naked without having to go in explicit details. Saying "I saw Character Y's penis" is fine, so long as it's not like "I reached to touch Character Y's penis". There's a very clear difference in those two statements.

But mixing it between red/blue stars is not a good idea. If you can keep it PG-13, something you would see on a 13+ show on TV, than that's fine.

There is the possibility of being naked without having to go in explicit details. Saying "I saw Character Y's penis" is fine, so long as it's not like "I reached to touch Character Y's penis". There's a very clear difference in those two statements.

But mixing it between red/blue stars is not a good idea. If you can keep it PG-13, something you would see on a 13+ show on TV, than that's fine.
Well then, if we know for sure that there will be mixed-age interactions, then would descriptions of genitals like the former example you listed be ok? Because @Peregrine definitely implied that it wasn't, and I'm getting conflicting messages at this point.

Well then, if we know for sure that there will be mixed-age interactions, then would descriptions of genitals like the former example you listed be ok? Because @Peregrine definitely implied that it wasn't, and I'm getting conflicting messages at this point.
Think of it this way.

On a TV show, would you see a guy running around naked? No, you would see him hiding himself, basically, and people commenting on his nakedness. "I saw the butt" but they're not interacting with the butt, are they?

Someone being naked is not sexual. You can have sexual content without being naked. It's the fine line of context. Is the nature of the event meant to be sexual, or just nakedness happening?

It's a really fine line. Blurry zone. If you feel like your players can't adhere to that, my suggestion is that you make it a recountable event, perhaps. Or just not do it at all.

That is my opinion :D

Hmm... Pahn is right about there being a difference in intent, which my previous statement didn't really take into account. I'm used to answering these questions in regard to when foreplay needs to stop, and that line is as soon as genetalia gets brought into the conversation at all.

For a non-sexual scene, that line can be pushed slightly further out. This time it would be describing or touching genetalia. A character saying "Oh crap that's a penis" isn't really describing anything, and without the character holding any sexual intent, that probably stays on the OK side of the line. But if a teen member and an adult member get in a scene where their characters are describing each other's (or their own!) genitalia, breasts, sexy figures, etc, that is not okay, even if the intent isn't to be sexual.

• Love
Reactions: Pahn
Hmm... Pahn is right about there being a difference in intent, which my previous statement didn't really take into account. I'm used to answering these questions in regard to when foreplay needs to stop, and that line is as soon as genetalia gets brought into the conversation at all.

For a non-sexual scene, that line can be pushed slightly further out. This time it would be describing or touching genetalia. A character saying "Oh crap that's a penis" isn't really describing anything, and without the character holding any sexual intent, that probably stays on the OK side of the line. But if a teen member and an adult member get in a scene where their characters are describing each other's (or their own!) genitalia, breasts, sexy figures, etc, that is not okay, even if the intent isn't to be sexual.

Ok then. I think things will be fine if we stick to the smaller group, then. Thank you for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.