Queen of Fire, King of Ice

Queen Daenerys of House Targaryen, red
"It may take several days for the people to settle, Your Grace," Ser Barristan said. "Five thousand men, women and children from the East need new Westerosi homes. But what you have done here is not without gratitude, and it is sad to say that these people have had worse."

Dany turned from the conversation to watch those stepping carefully off great ships, which could also be used as war galleys once the transfer of her people was complete, and she waved to them as they passed. They continued to call her 'mhysa' and reach for her despite the calm and well-fashioned order in which they were moving, and Daenerys couldn't help but notice that several of them had gained a bit of weight, so much that it shocked her to no longer see bones through their skin. They had all been cleaned, too, and redressed. While it brought the silver queen to life all over again to see her people so well taken care of, she knew she owed them a city. A Ghiscari city, one on the eastern side of Westeros that could also function as a valuable port. She distracted herself momentarily from such thoughts and turned to Robb and her counselors once again, chuckling at the thought of the High Septon's gasps to see a city in open worship of the Harpy.

"Shall we reenter the castle?" Dany asked, removing the dark cloak as little goosebumps rose on her skin. "We need to decide which men we will leave here and which to take with us to the Wall, and I think it has been quite some time since Ser Jorah has enjoyed a glass of wine from the Arbor."

"It has," he chuckled longingly, "and an even greater period of time since I have been in the presence of a Stark. I'm sure my family has served you very loyally in this war, Your Grace." He offered a friendly smile. "I was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of your father and family. I appears you and my queen are more alike than anyone would have thought possible."

"He is a good friend," she told Jorah while smiling at the King in the North. "Just as you have been. Come, it's very gold out here and we have plans to discuss."

King Robb of House Stark, grey

Both Robb's and Lord Manderly's men were in place to hand out blankets and cloaks to the people from the East, and to guide them as they found places to settle in the makeshift camp. There was a language barrier, but the men acted with tempered patience to see their guests well taken care of. Supply lines streamed out from the city to the camp, since much was needed. None would have to go without if it could be helped.

The king offered the men a smile. "Come, I'll pour you each a cup of wine once we've arrived back in the castle." With the ever faithful Grey Wind at his side, Robb turned to lead the way back to New Castle with Daenerys. His stature seemed to have grown in the days since the silver queen's arrival. Though he'd always held his head high, his regal presence had returned with great strength.

If possible, White Harbor was even more abuzz than it had been in anticipation of the arrival of the queen's forces. Though the citizens were still hard at work, Robb, Daenerys, and their entourage still drew quite a bit of attention as they made their way through the city streets. It was the appearance of the two Westrosi knights and the two men from across the sea that really brought on their observation. It was also the strangers in their midst that spurred Grey Wind to remain adamantly at his master's side, not straying more than a step away at any given point.

Upon their arrival back at New Castle, the counsel chamber reserved for the two monarchs had just finished being prepared for them. Food and drink were laid out for the king, queen, and advisers, and the rest of the room had been cleaned and refreshed while they were at the harbor. The last two servants let themselves out of the chamber as the group came around the corner, and quickly made off so that their presence was not an intrusion.

"Please, sit," the king invited his guests as they entered the counsel chamber, and shut the door once they were inside. As promised, he poured each of them a cup of wine as they settled around the room. "It is regretful that we should have to meet under such circumstances, but it has given great hope to the people. I have fought this war for longer than I care to remember and lost more men than I care to count. Here now, I see the same beginning to the war that I saw so long ago."

His goblet was the last to be filled and he opted to stand, rather than sit. "But, with a new alliance and friendship," he paused to purposefully look at the silver queen, "I believe there will finally be an end to this war." His attention went back to the others in their midst. "Our first task is to march to the Wall, where Stannis Baratheon has gathered his forces, and liberate the parts of the North we pass through from Greyjoy and Bolton forces. Stannis will bend the knee or die, and we will take his army for our cause."

Last edited:
Daenerys sat at the opposite head of the table from where Robb's chair was seated, but when he stood, so too did she. All throughout the conference room were men and women from both sides of the alliance--Dacey Mormont and the Greatjon alongside Grey Worm, Ser Barristan and Ser Jorah, who exchanged brief looks of acknowledgement and little smiles with his cousin across the room. All of them had been seated, save Queen Daenerys and King Robb, who paced the room like he dragons circling the skies. She could hear them roaring in celebration to be reunited with each other and their mother. It brought her great pride to heir them.

"That is a sound plan," Ser Barristan interjected after Robb had finished. "But the Meereenese can't stay here forever. We have to move them as soon as possible."

"I sent a letter to Dorne the day after I arrived," Dany said with a small sigh, "and while I think that is the best place for them I doubt the Dornish will risk aiding me unless they seek to be crushed by the Tyrells and Lannisters. Their armies are dwarfed by the rest of the south. Aiding me would be too dangerous."

"I'm not sure they will think so when they hear of your dragons, Khaleesi." Jorah swirled the wine around in his glass. "The Martells of Dorne have been loyal to the Targaryens since Aegon the Conqueror."

"But I cannot protect them or my people from here in the North. We have to take this kingdom first before I can set my eyes southward. They will simply have to wait until I can relocate them, I will not put the Dornish at risk when I am incapable of helping them protect them." She glanced at the map and considered the suns of House Martell to the far south before casting her eyes to White Harbor again.

"We march for the Wall tomorrow. If there are no objections, I should like some peace before I dine with King Robb tonight. We have much to discuss."

Her commanders looked between each other and found no room for any extra inquiries and together they left to conduct other affairs in preparation for the next day's march. "Oh," Daenerys chuckled, "and my apologies, Your Grace. I forgot to ask. Would you dine with me tonight?"

Robb was well aware that the people of the East could not remain in the North. Their current situation, however, would not allow them to move the people anywhere else at the moment - unless they wanted to move them further North. He was confident Lord Manderly would take good care of the people, though. Cloaks and blankets would help, and they'd created firepits throughout the camp to try and stave off the chill at night.

Once they retook the North and ensured none would attack them from the rear flank, they could turn their attention to the South. Not only would eliminating Stannis as an enemy give them more soldiers, but it would keep an army from marching at their back. One of his problems while fighting on his own was having two fronts to fight on, and though he had managed, it had not been easy.

The king was pleased to hear the decision by the queen to march the very next day, but when it was said he and the queen were to dine together that night, he raised his brows in surprise. Certainly he wouldn't deny her, but it was the first he had heard of the occasion. As the commanders left the chamber, Robb's surprise fell to an amused smile.

"Of course, Your Grace," he answered. It had turned into a habit of the king's to dine by himself in the private quarters that Lord Manderly had granted him. Not only did he have a bed chamber, but also an adjoining counsel chamber which he'd turned into his private dining area. "It would be an honor if you allow me to host you this evening."

Daenerys gave a soft chuckle. Robb had always been a private man in the few days she had known him, hardly coming out of his chambers unless it be to speak with the people or make arrangements for when her ships arrived in the harbor, and while Dany had only meant to occupy New Castle's dining hall she was flattered that he would allow her this glimpse into his life. Perhaps his mourning has ended, she found herself hoping. Though he will never forget, he will function as a better king with the sadness off his shoulders.

"How chivalrous," she stated with a pleased grin. "It's settled, then. I'll be there just before sunset. I don't think I'm wearing proper dining clothes after all." She looked down to the tight scarlet dress, and while she had grown extremely fond of it there would be no point in dressing queenly for her host. He already knew what she was. Daenerys had no desire to discuss battle plans and clay placements on a map. It was high time she introduced herself to Robb on a personal level, and that meant meeting as equals. After wishing him a temporary goodbye, the Khaleesi exited the counsel chambers once more and rushed to her own in a flurry of excitement and relief that she was unable to place appropriately.

It was strange to dress and prepare herself without the presence of Missandei. No doubt the girl had stayed behind in Braavos until every last person in Dany's caravan had boarded a ship and sailed across the Narrow Sea. Still, when Missandei was missing she felt like a sister without her counterpart, like a mother without her daughter, like a friend without her companion. Not for much longer, though. There can't be that many more ships coming, aren't a hundred and fifty enough? I'll have to walk through the camps tomorrow before we leave and make sure everyone is comfortable and happy. It had always been her mission to free slaves, and while it tore out her heart to know that Slaver's Bay would return to the way it was before her conquest, she would retake it once again.

In the end, the silver queen decided on a flowing Pentoshi gown of lavender with a golden belt to clasp around her waist, letting her partially braided curls fall about her hips. She slipped on a pair of gold-colored sandals an exited towards the eastern tower, where the king's chambers awaited her. No doubt she would experience firsthand a find example of Northern dishes and hospitality, which excited her somewhat. Robb had already proven himself a valuable ally, and while she knew the North would fall into his hands it remained exhilarating to try new things from new customs in new places.

It was what she had been doing her entire life, after all.

Since Robb would not be dining alone that evening, he decided to visit the kitchens of New Castle to make a personal request of the cooks. While the traditional dishes served in White Harbor were well and good, the king thought he might offer Daenerys a taste of his lost home. His presence and requests were well received by the cooks, who were more than happy to accommodate him and his specific suggestions for the evening meal.

With arrangements made, the king retired to his quarters and stoked a great fire to life in the counsel chamber turned dining area. Grey Wind settled himself in front of the roaring flames and napped contentedly as his master dressed in something more casual. No heavy fur cloak, nor armor, nor sword were on the king's person. It left him in the simple, dark woolen clothing of the North, and a leather vest over it. The North had no use of expensive materials or clothing of intricate design, since it would not keep them warm in the harsh cold of the land.

When the food had been prepared, servants brought it to the king's chambers, letting themselves inside quietly and setting everything up on the dining table under Robb's watchful gaze. They brought honeyed chicken, freshly baked brown oatbread, winter squash, glazed carrots, and cheese for the main course. To compliment the heavy meal was a lighter dessert: a tray layered with lemon cakes and fruit tarts. After everything was arranged properly, one of the servants began to gather two goblets and serve wine, but was stopped by word from the king. The queen was to be his guest, and he would serve her.

The servants had not long been gone when the silver queen arrived. Robb courteously held the door open and secured it behind the woman, before walking over to pull out a chair at the head of the table for her. "Please, sit, Your Grace," he invited her with a warm smile.

Reactions: Sansa Stark
Robb certainly kept a tidy space. Everything was neatly organized in their specified places, his clothes folded, his bed made, even the shelves were free of dust. For someone who harbored such a humble demeanor, it did not surprise her to see his wardrobe lacking fine silks and cloth in various hues. That isn't what the North holds dear, she had learned to discover. They admire his strength and his leadership over the look of his person. Though it would taste a lie to say he lacked in that department.

The silver queen took a seat where he had pulled out a chair for her. "Thank you," she chuckled, "and call me Daenerys, please. We are allies and friends now. There is no need for formalities among people like us." Among royalty.

Dany watched Robb Stark's every move, from pouring wine to the way he walked, how he held himself. It was drastically different from the King in the North she had met that day on the battlefield outside the city walls, the man who was plunged deep in hopelessness and mourning. With the breath of Drogon's fire the North had been ignited with life once more, and their king along with them. The sounds of Freys and Lannisters choking on fire and blood would come swiftly with the teamwork they could clearly exhibit. Reaching swiftly across, she grabbed a pair of silver prongs from a bowl of ice and dropped a few cubes into her sweetwine.

"Tell me," she stated, looking over the rim of her goblet at the king who sat beside her. "How did you become the King in the North?"

Reactions: domino

Robb found himself quite at ease in the presence of the silver queen. Here in a very personal setting, they were the same as anyone else - save they held the title of king and queen. Even without the company of others, Daenerys held a commanding presence, and the king had to assume that was simply her disposition. Beautiful, resilient, and regal. Certainly she has more presence for the Iron Throne than any man in the Seven Kingdoms, the king thought as he considered his guest.

After seating himself and indulging a bit of wine, he leaned forward to serve himself some of the food that was offered. He hadn't had honeyed chicken since before leaving Winterfell, and as he placed some of it on his plate he found himself wondering if this meal would be as good as he remembered. Even when he retook his lost home and saw it rebuilt from the ruins, it would never be the same. The cooks, servants, and all others had been killed. Perhaps a few had managed to escape, but most of them were gone.

The king didn't let such thoughts pull down his mood. Yes, people and lands had been lost, but the land was soon to be retaken and vengeance exacted for the people. it was thanks to the silver haired woman he dined with. With their alliance - and friendship, as she had said - their enemies would drop to their knees or burn in the fire of the dragon's that circled White Harbor. It brought a certain sense of satisfaction to know that success was not so far out of reach, and he knew that feeling was nothing compared to how it would soon feel when they on the path to conquest.

He glanced up when questioned about the earning of his title. "I'm afraid there is no great tale behind it," he began. "After my father's arrest in King's Landing, I raised my family's bannermen and set them to war, rather than bending to Joffrey's will and pledging my fealty. I had hoped to free my sisters from the Lannisters, and secure the release of my father. The night that we received word my father had been executed, I took up council with my advisers. The execution was the final push, and it became clear there would be no peace between Stark and Lannister. We discussed supporting Renly or Stannis, but my bannermen decided they would lend their support to neither, and declared me King in the North."

"I am certain that the story of the Mother of Dragons is far more engaging than my own." Robb had heard the bare bones version of Daenerys' time across the sea. While he'd received word of the major happenings, that was mostly what he'd gotten on the battlefield. Even then, he'd paid little attention since he was caught up in the middle of a war.

His people chose him. She had remembered the envoy in Meereen saying as much when she had questioned him of Robb Stark's prerogatives, intentions and demeanor. Daenerys found herself instantly admiring that about him, that it took the death of his family to place him on pedestal of royalty instead of seizing the opportunity long before a war was sparked. Being king was never his intention, only the freedom of his family and the honor of his House. There wasn't a nobler reason in the world to call his banners and march south, and for that, she smiled respectfully.

"My story?" She chuckled and took a long drink of her wine, crossing one leg over the other and resting her arms on the sides of the chair. She hadn't touched the food just yet, and had the Khaleesi kept her wits about her she would have eaten something long before telling her story of death and disease and betrayal, but it was far too late now. She let a few moments of silence pass, considering whether or not she wanted to expose herself so openly to a man she'd only known a week, but her marriage to Drogo came to mind and all modesty slipped away through her fingers. He will hear of my journey one way or another. I may as well offer him the truth firsthand.

"Shall I start from the beginning, then?" Dany leaned forward and placed the glass of wine on the table before leaning back into the cushions of the chair, facing Robb entirely. "I spent my life running away from the Usurper's knives, from city to city, from safehouse to safehouse. When I was fourteen, my brother was convinced by Magister Illyrio of Pentos that marrying me off to Khal Drogo would win him the army he needed to retake Westeros. My husband had a great khalasar at his back, it was true, but the Dothraki do things on their own terms. My brother long grew impatient. Shortly after my pregnancy was announced to my people, he so boldly threatened to kill me where I stood if my sun-and-stars did not provide him with the army he wanted. He was repaid in death.

"It wasn't long after that when my husband's khalasar came upon a village of Lamb Men, people who worship the Great Shepherd. I saved a woman from being brutalized and in return she took my husband and my child from me. I birthed a monster into the world as a product of her magic, and I was foolish enough to trust her with Drogo's life." Daenerys stared off into the fire in the hearth a moment in silent reverie. Those events were so long ago, yet the pain was still fresh and haunting in the depths of her heart. She was carelessly thrown into a marriage with a known brute and an incredibly violent man, yet their love had been strong and passionate, and there was a hole in her heart that he and their child had left behind. Not even time could mend it completely. She snapped back to the subject with a gentle shake of her head, and continued. "I burned my husband's body as is custom for the Dothraki, and I stood on his pyre with my dragon eggs. I bathed in fire that night and awoke as the Unburnt and the Mother of Dragons the following morning.

"I kept a small khalasar of about eighty Dothraki that still followed me here to Westeros, all the way across Essos and away from their home. I led them through the Red Waste, through famine and heat, through the plaguing mysteries of Qarth--believe me, that is a story all in itself--until we came upon Astapor. I fooled the great masters into selling me all of their Unsullied, eight thousand, as trade for a dragon. Drogon burned the masters and the Unsullied slew them under my command, and we did the same in Yunkai and Meereen. I..." she sighed, "I made many mistakes in Meereen, and much to my great regret I left it behind to slide back into it's fate. But Westeros needed me. You needed me, and there wasn't much of a choice in the matter." Daenerys smiled and stared off into the distance again, thinking about all she had sacrificed to the Great Pyramid and all the Meereenese she had harmed with her conquest, but there was little time for regrets in the race to the Iron Throne. She leaned forward and politely began to fill her plate with grapes, mutton, various vegetables and a small chunk of honeyed chicken.

"And now I am here. Is that the story you were waiting for?"

• Love

As Daenerys began to speak, his food went forgotten for a time and he leaned against the right arm of his chair. Out of respect, Robb held the silver queen's gaze when her eyes were directed toward him while she recounted her tale. Even when she looked away, he didn't divert his attention anywhere else. If she was going to grace him with her story, he would not do her the disservice of only giving her part of his attention.

"I was right," Robb said at the end of her tale, after she had questioned him. He offered the woman a gentle smile with his words as he straightened himself in his seat again. "Your story is far more engaging than my own. You have my sincerest gratitude for answering my call, Daenerys. Without the sacrifices you made, Westeros would likely be lost. After our victory here, I will lend some of my men to your cause, should you desire to retake Meereen and the other cities."

The king turned his attention toward the food he'd gathered to his plate, taking a taste of the honeyed chicken. He found it as savory as memory suggested and it brought about a warmth that only a fond memory of home could. Briefly, he wondered if there was any place that the silver queen called home now, or if taking the Red Keep would offer her a place to consider her home. Either way, he would see that she had a place that brought her that warm feeling of belonging, because no one should have to go without it.

When he began to eat, he caught sight of Grey Wind perking up from where he napped by the hearth. To see such a wild, vicious creature look so longingly at the food on the table brought forth an amused chuckle from the Northman. He vaguely remembered having told his younger siblings that the direwolves were not dogs, but at times they certainly acted the part. To rid his faithful companion of that pitiful look, he cut free a piece of mutton and tossed it to the wolf.

In the bit of silence while the pair enjoyed some of the food, Robb decided to turn the subject of their conversation to something of a lighter nature. Beyond his private quarters was enough war and misery to last many lifetimes. Here, in privacy, the two deserved some respite from it. There would be plenty talk of war to be had soon enough.

"I am curious, if you would indulge me - beyond our present circumstance of war and justice, what do you most look forward to now that you have returned to Westeros?" He did not know if the silver queen had thought beyond their long march to King's Landing and her reclaiming of the crown. Perhaps taking it into consideration would give her more to look forward to - at least, something more positive to look forward to.

Daeneyrs was glad that Robb found some enjoyment in her tale of hardships and longstanding unrest, and there was so much she had withheld from the summary of her journey, but the retelling took a small toll on her psyche. Had she told the story before a court of Lannisters or in front of the Usurper himself, it would have filled her with great pride and bolster her confidence immeasurably, to know they would hear of her sufferings, but this was no such situation. She was sitting in a cushioned chair with the King in the North in a casual setting, and the ghosts she had released were quicker to haunt. Daenerys disguised her miniscule setback by taking a few bites off a small serving of mutton and seasoned potatoes, washing it down with more wine.

"I suppose I hadn't thought about it much," she replied in honesty. "I didn't think I would return to Westeros so soon, and one would assume that in the two months it took me to cross Essos and journey here I would have given the aspect a bit more attention, but that didn't quite happen. It's much like a puppy chasing a butterfly, they'd never know what to do if they caught one." Dany sighed, pulling a grape from the sprig on her plate and popping it in her mouth. I bet they have frozen grapes in the North that make the most spectacular icewines. The thought was comforting. "I'd much like to see the dragon skulls in the Red Keep," she decided at last. "My brother always used to talk about them, how grand and massive they were. As long as the Usurper or the Lannisters haven't had them destroyed, that is. I suppose they wouldn't like having reminders of the family they murdered looming in their false throne room. And the Great Sept of Baelor," she chuckled, "Ser Barristan said it stands higher than the Red Keep itself and the statues of the Seven are like none other. He said that the tombs of every Targaryen who ever reigned are still kept in its depths. I'd like to see Dragonstone as well--I was born there, you know. The ancient seat of my House, held by Stannis Baratheon. He will yield it without question."

And suddenly, her tone was sullen and somber.

"I want to visit all the high seats of the most noble lords and the trenches where the poor are left to rot. I want to see the Trident where my brother was slain. I want to see Highgarden and Winterfell, Casterly Rock and Storm's End. From Dorne to The Wall, I don't think there's a single place in Westeros that I don't want to see." Daenerys lightly laughed then, shaking away the seriousness of her words and offering Robb a pleasant smile. "But to answer your question directly, the thing I look forward to most is Tywin Lannister's head rotting above the gates of the Red Keep. I think, on that front, we can agree." She sipped thoughtfully at her wine, studying Robb over the rim.

"And what of you?" Daenerys inquired. "What do you look forward to most? Something less gruesome, I would guess. The Meereenese are expert builders, if returning Winterfell to its former glory is what you want most. I'd be happy to ask them for that sort of volunteer work, of course, but you would have to house and feed them until the job was done."

Robb nodded as he listened to the silver queen speak. The things she desired made sense - in her position, he was certain he would want the same things. She was right, though, one thing they agreed on was Tywin Lannister's head, rotting in the sun above the gates to the Red Keep. Once they got to King's Landing, he would find and take the man's head himself. The great Lord Tywin Lannister would know he'd lost everything by crossing House Stark before his death, the last thing that he would see was the vengeance of the North.

"I believe it would do the people good, to see their queen out amongst them," he spoke after a few moments of quiet contemplation. In his short time as King in the North, he'd found the people very welcoming of his presence, and it seemed to lift their spirits. Daenerys would need the people on her side if she meant to be successful. A victory in conquest was one thing, to lead and rule was another. He did not believe that would be much of a problem for the woman, though. Out on the docks, he'd seen the way her people reacted to being reunited with their chosen monarch. He also had first hand experience, seeing how the Dragon Queen presented herself - she was nothing but regal and just.

When questioned of his own plans for the future, the king took a drink of wine before answering. "I will see Winterfell restored," he confirmed with a nod. "I have not seen the extent of the damage myself, but I fear if it is too much, it may not be rebuilt before winter takes hold again. My home may lay in ruins until summer returns, but I will see it back to its glory."

He also hoped to discover the fate of his sisters - whatever they may be. He knew Sansa was accused of poisoning Joffrey - and if they boy's death was truly her doing, he would be proud of her. However, she had not been seen or heard of since the Purple Wedding, and that weighed on his mind. Perhaps she'd gone into hiding, or perhaps the Lannisters had simply done away with her quietly. He doubted it was the latter, as they would want to publicly execute the one who'd killed Joffrey. And then there was Arya, who no one had seen since before their father's execution. He assumed her lost, either somewhere in the vast land of Westeros or perhaps kidnapped and taken to Slaver's Bay to be sold off. When the war was done, he would have the time and resources to attempt to locate both girls - if for no other reason than to learn whatever fate had befallen them.

"Did you not hear what I said?" she chuckled. "I will ask the Meereenese if they wish to help. Your home would be repaired in a few month's time, so long as we have the required stone if the damages go that far. In fact, I'll breach the subject tomorrow before we begin our march. Those who wish to help will accompany us up the King's Road. The North may be yours, but all of Westeros belonged to my family once. I won't let it fall apart."

In truth, there was no justifiable explanation she could discover for her kindness toward Robb Stark. When Viserys melted away in his crown of molten gold, Daenerys had had promised herself that all of Westeros would be hers and that each and every person would flock to the banner of the three-headed dragon. But with a single letter, within a day of meeting the broken King in the North she had surrendered half her domain on the whims of justice alone. Admittedly, Robb had plagued her dreams in pleasant and nightmarish ways--Dany recalled briefly her vision at the House of the Undying of a man with a wolf's head at a banquet of the slaughtered. Yet here he sat before her, healed in body and mind, as much as capable, and Daenerys had rewarded him with half a kingdom. It didn't make sense to either Jorah or Ser Barristan when she conversed with them briefly before coming to the king's chambers, and it didn't quite make sense to her either, but regardless she still felt as if she wasn't doing enough. What more could I possibly give him?

The look on his face told her the answer to such a foolish question, but sadly she knew neither the physical description nor the location of his sister Sansa Stark. "I wish I could bring her back to you," she stated with a small frown, knowing that he would catch on to her precise meaning without clarification. "I'm sure she's somewhere in the South. If we don't find her when we march on King's Landing, I'll make sure that she is found and returned safely to you. I only hope that--"

Suddenly, Daenerys froze. "You have two sisters, don't you?" she inquired. "Sansa and another, a younger girl, about the age of twelve or thirteen?" The queen set her goblet atop the table and stretched out the belt around her waist, retrieving a small roll of paper smothered in black and white, as if colored by ink or paint, and Dany stood to cross offer it to him on a more personal level. "Ser Barristan said that a young girl with dark hair gave this to him in Braavos. I tried to open it, but there's no end to the paper as if some sort of spell is keeping it together. He said that he found her just outside the House of Black and White, a mystical place, so perhaps the paper has been enchanted to only open at your touch. I wanted to give it to you in person tonight, but only now have I made the possible connection..."

Robb's heart leapt with the hope that the letter could have been word from Arya. He tried to stifle it, to keep the pain of disappointment at bay, but as she had in many other ways Daenerys brought him hope. If this letter truly was from his sister, he would owe the Dragon Queen more than he could ever repay. With a moment's hesitation he reached out and carefully took the paper. The king inspected it only for a moment before it fell open. Immediately, he smiled, recognizing the not so lady-like writing of his young sister.

Robb,
You may be King in the North, but I'm not calling you Your Grace.
There was rumor that Daenerys Targaryen was crossing the Narrow Sea to fight at your side. I found a knight in her service to bring this to you. I would have come, but I want to study at The House of Black and White here in Braavos. When my time here is done, I'll come home.
I wanted you to know that I'm okay.
I would say I miss you, but I will never hear the end of it if I do.
Arya

The king laughed - a foreign sound that he thought he'd forgotten how to make. "It's from Arya," he announced, looking up at the silver queen. There was a wave of relief that hit him like stormy seas, something unlike he'd ever felt before. "She's safe - in Braavos."

If he did not know better, he would almost suspect that he was dreaming. For all the things that had gone wrong, for all the pain and hardships they'd faced, it hardly seemed that such good news could be true. He doubted his long troubled mind could come up with something so uplifting - so this had to be real. It took a weight off his shoulders, to know one of his sisters was alive and well.

"If Sansa lives, I will find her... and any who try to keep her from me will find their head next to Tywin Lannister's above the gates of the Red Keep." He glanced back down to the paper in his hand, re-reading the quickly written words one more time. "You cannot know what this means to me. If there is anything, anything that I may do to repay you for such uplifting news, all you need is to voice it and I will see it done."

• Love
Reactions: moffnat
Daenerys felt her heart swell almost as much as his when she heard that Arya Stark was the one who had written the letter. The princess of the North had been right under Ser Barristan's nose and he didn't have the sights to notice. Not that she could blame him, by all reports the child looked like a boy and was dressed in robes single to the House of Black and White. There was no thought in her knight's mind that the child might be the heir to a kingdom. If only he had known.

"You have done so much for me already," Daenerys replied with a soft chuckle and shake of her head. "You brought me news of Westeros and backed my claim to the throne, you held the harbor so that my people may cross. There is nothing more you can do for me, only what we may do for each other. I'm honored that I could be the one to deliver this news to you."

Dany reached forward and placed a gentle hand on his arm in the friendliest of manners. "We should be friends, you and I. No secrets. Our kingdoms will only prosper together, not apart. I don't want there to be any hesitations or withholding information. I suppose, that is all that I ask." She smiled and removed her hand politely, returning both to her side before moving toward the door at a graceful pace.

"I should go," Dany stated with a reluctant sigh. "The hour is growing late and I have no wish to keep you awake longer than you must be, for tomorrow will be a long ride. The honeyed chicken was delicious by the way. I hope we'll have it again, should dine on the morrow together as well. Goodnight, Robb."

She left the king's chambers shortly thereafter, carrying a giddy grin and the knowledge of victory close in her heart.

Robb bid the queen a good night as she left, but did not readily leave the table. His thoughts were currently too occupied to rest, so he didn't even attempt it. The letter from Arya was read another dozen times and accompanied by fond memories of home. The thoughts of a better time didn't bring grief like it may have just weeks before. Instead, they saw his confidence and determination set in stone.

There was a clear path laid out before him - from the Wall to the gates of the Red Keep, and beyond. For Arya and Sansa, Bran and Rickon, his mother and Talisa, his father, and most importantly for Daenerys, he would see them to victory no matter the cost.

That night saw his sleep filled with cryptic dreams of direwolves, dragons, lions, and crows. Three dragons' shadows enveloped the entirety of Westeros from shore to shore, from the lowest tip of the South all the North beyond Wall. Below the massive shadows, hundreds of ravenous direwolves took the land, running down everything in their path. The black carrion birds followed in the animals' wake, feasting on the flesh of downed enemies. Toward the end of the vision, a lone lion was run down and killed by a direwolf in a sea of roses while a great dragon watched overhead.

The king did not know the meaning of his dreams when he woke - if they held message of the future or not - but he did not confide the vision in anyone. He was up early and had his squire pack what would be needed on the road, which wasn't a great deal. Robb took only a quick morning meal, since there was much to be done.

With Grey Wind at his side, the king left the castle and the city walls. He went to check and make sure Lord Manderly was supplying the queen's people properly, and was pleased to find his men were already handing out hot meals. Thankfully, White Harbor was one of the most well supplied cities in the North, being its primary trading port and so close to the South, and could handle the influx of people.

Satisfied with the treatment of Daenerys' people, Robb set his sights to his men. Word of their plan to march to the Wall and reclaim the North before marching to King's Landing had spread. It brought new life to the worn army, to have their sights set on freeing their homes and their families. By the time that the King in the North walked among them, they were prepared for the march - even enthusiastic about it. To see home, even if it was in shambles, lifted their spirits and gave them fresh determination.

It brought a strange life to Daenerys Targaryen, seeing an army that she held no claims to rise with the promise of redemption and revenge. The shouts rang out through brisk morning skies as clear as crystal. "The King in the North! The King in the North! All hail the King in the North!" It spurred her resolve and helped her solidify her security in the decision allow Robb to keep his crown. There's no way come hells or high water that these men would ever truly belong to me. They are Stark men through and through. It runs in their blood as fire runs in mine. She smiled fondly at the thought before clicking her tongue and guiding the white mare forward, pulling lightly on the reigns wherever necessary to cross the open fields and meet the side of Robb Stark yet again.

"The Meereenese will lend fifteen-hundred men to your cause," she informed. "We will drop them off at Winterfell along with a few hundred men to protect them and hold the keep while they rebuild. Shouldn't take more than six month's time, and fall is still upon us. You should have your home back just in time for winter."

It gave her much joy to know that would please him. Daenerys had come to accept the fact that she may not see the Iron Throne until after winter had thrown its all toward Westeros and the Seven Kingdoms, and while the thought made her heart ache there was peace to be found in help Robb reclaim where he belonged. If nothing else, she would be content to wait out the season in Winterfell with him, or in whichever castle her dragons decided to vacate on her behalf. Perhaps the gods would grant her enough time to take the south and reclaim her seat before the winter snows and bitter winds thrust upon the lands. However, as Ser Barristan had stated on various other occasions, it was best to worry about months down the road as they came across. Today there would be a march, and there would be one on each day for the next several weeks. Her time was better spent focusing on the immediate future.

"All is set," came the voice of Ser Jorah as he pulled up beside his queen. "All we need is your say-so, Khaleesi, and we'll be off."

Daenerys craned her neck to the sky, watching the silhouettes of three dragons soar into the morning sun. From there, she glanced down to Grey Wind where he sat alert by his master's side, and then to the valiant Robb who stood ready to face their collective challenges ahead.

"On your mark, Your Grace."

"Thank you, Your Grace," Robb responded in regards to the rebuilding of his home. It brought him a sense of pride, to know that Winterfell would be returned to its former glory to brave the long winter as it always had. He had worried, that without the grand castle able to withstand the bitter weather, the North would not far as well either. In his time with the title of king, he had learned that it there was more to ruling than giving orders and finding conquest. There was morale and diplomacy and justice and so much more.

If what Daenerys said was true - and he was inclined to believe her word - then he would have a home to return his sisters to, when Arya returned and he found Sansa. The older sister was still bound by marriage, but he was certain The Imp would be plowed under with the rest of he Lannisters in this war. None would withstand the joint forces of House Stark and House Targaryen, and the first proof of that would come with the taking of Stannis Baratheon's men.

When everyone was ready, the king looked down to the direwolf that sat tall next to him and made a quiet noise. Grey Wind's full attention went to his master, obediently awaiting command. "Let's go home," Robb told the great beast. The direwolf stood, giving a great howl to the sky and was joined by the cries of, "For the North!", before trotting off ahead of them.

The king spurred his horse to follow the great wolf, knowing that even if he lost sight of Grey Wind, the direwolf wouldn't be far. It was a long march laid out before them, even at the steady pace soldiers could keep. He hoped his men would not lose their enthusiasm during that time. Certainly marching home would see their spirits remain high, but when they were done - after liberating the Wall of Baratheon forces, taking the Dreadfort, finding vengeance at the Twins - and marched South, he had to wonder if they would remain as determined. Their first march South had not gone well, and there was always the chance that would weigh on them. Hopefully a string of victories would see their collective confidence remain as firm as it was now.

Thankfully, the army was easy to get on the move, despite its size. After a time, once the sun was high up into the sky, White Harbor ducked down below the horizon and all that could be seen behind them was a sea of soldiers. It seemed that they gained ground fairly quickly - more so than Robb remembered having gained in his days before the Red Wedding. That was when things had started falling apart for him, having lost the Karstark men, but he put them from his mind.

The march across the North was nothing compared to the one Daenerys had accomplished across Essos, but the latter had been a journey that was necessary. This was a journey by choice. The group of ten thousand soldiers marched northward along the White Knife and crossed due east, headed over the Kingsroad where their swords met those of the Ironborn that held Barrowton. Hundreds of men fell on the opposite side of the battle, and Daenerys was pleased to see her Unsullied live up to their name in regards to their grace on fields of war. Barrowton was the first city to liberate itself from Greyjoy occupation. While it took some convincing for them to rejoin Robb Stark's cause as many heirs and important figures of House Dustin were slain at the Red Wedding, one look at the dragon queen from across the sea made them fall to their knees and pledge immediate loyalty. Whether they were her men or Robb's, she was unsure, but as long as they were side-by-side in conquest it mattered little.

Torrhen's Square was the second stop, north through the Barrowlands and upwards toward the outer reaches of the Wolfswood. Dagmer Cleftjaw proudly held the seat of House Tallhart in a choking grip, but Drogon's immense shadow was cast over the Square and the krakens within held no desire to keep their seat in fear of the wrath of dragon and direwolf alike. Liberating the captive Tallharts and regaining their home, Lady Eddara Tallhart offered the swords of her people to aid Robb and Daenerys on their continued journey north.

The final stop was Castle Cerwyn, a half day's ride for a single man from Winterfell and just barely within the reaches of the southwest corner of the Wolfswood. Lady Jonelle Cerwyn was quick to lend her secret support to Robb, though most of her men were in Bolton service now. She gave King Robb her assurance that upon sight of their long dead king the Cerwyn men would return to his cause.

The fruits of their two week labor would come to the test soon enough.

Banners of all shapes and sizes flapped harshly in the brisk autumn wind. A merman with a trident on teal, two crowned longaaxes on yellow, a double-sided battleaxe on silver, three pine trees emblazoned on brown, and countless others that had flocked to their cause upon their trek to Winterfell scattered across the skyline. A great host of twelve-thousand stood outside the castle walls of Winterfell's Great Keep led by a man with a direwolf and a woman with three dragons. The Bolton army stood proud among fields that didn't belong to them. Gently, Daenerys placed her hand atop Robb's armored shoulder.

"This is your battle," she said with tender care. "I will follow your lead, at your signal."

Last edited:

Robb had been looking forward to seeing his home again, but finding it in ruins held no joy for him. Much damage had been done during the Boltons sack and subsequent burning - the roof of the Great Hall collapsed, half of the First Keep collapsed, the Maester's Turret destroyed, and everything that could be burned lay in ashes. Even the gates had been burned and broken - and none of the invading Bolton forces seemed to think it would have been wise to repair the gates. It worked out well for the king and queen, however, as only men would stand in their way.

Northmen clamored unhappily behind them, seeing the greatest castle of the North in such a state and held by traitorous wretches. Though they had liberated other cities before this, there would be a particularly satisfying feeling of revenge to this one. If Bolton's men were present, Roose himself could be there - and they all knew he had a hand in the damned Red Wedding. Though they had a duty to see Daenerys to King's Landing, many would rest better at night after seeing Lord Bolton's head on a spike.

The king nodded his acknowledgement to the queen's words. On the other side of him, Grey Wind stood at attention, hackles raised and growling lowly - he knew they were home, and he knew there were intruders in that home. "Bolton does not have as many men as we do. Had he taken the time to make repairs, we would have a much harder time of retaking Winterfell. I will take a small host of my men and clear out Bolton's men inside the walls." That was where he was most likely to find Roose, and he greatly desired to find himself face to face with the man.

"Perhaps Ser Jorah or Grey Worm would be kind enough to lead the attack to route the men outside the walls?"

He left it to Daenerys and her commanders to decide, his mind only carrying a single thought. Robb called Grey Wind after him and spurred his horse down the line of their great host, going to get some of his own men who had been with him since they first left Winterfell so long ago. This wasn't just his quest for revenge, this was something he wanted to share with them as well.

Robb waited until their forces were in position, then led the charge himself. Thankfully, there were very few archers on the battlements of Winterfell and seeing such a large host before them affected their aim. Robb and his men battered down the broken gates and swarmed through the grounds like water over rock. Bolton's men fell to Stark swords - and some of them even fell to the jaws of a direwolf. They made quick work of all the open areas before systematically working through the buildings and the keep itself, leaving bloodshed in their wake.

The king had expected to find Roose Bolton gloating somewhere in the Great Keep, but the traitor was nowhere to be found. After having dealt with the forces who stood and fought, and sending out those who had surrendered, Robb ordered a search for Roose Bolton and his bastard Ramsay - if the young man was there. All told, the the battle inside and outside the walls was quick, since those serving under the Flayed Man were so greatly outnumbered - a third of those men threw down their swords and begged mercy be taken upon them.

As the fighting settled, Robb took stock of his home. Not only was there the structural damage but whatever supplies and goods hadn't been sacked ended up burned in a fire he had to imagine was huge. His thoughts were interrupted though, from one of his bannermen who had taken to the battlements.

"Your Grace! Two riders are fleeing to the North!"

Robb bounded up the nearest set of stairs to the battlement, and looked out beyond the walls. Just as had been said, two riders were galloping off toward the Wolfswood, likely hoping to lose any pursuers there. "It's Bolton. Let him run off to the Dreadfort and cower in fear there. After hearing of what happened today, his men will abandon him when we march upon his hold."

From his spot on the battlement, he spotted Grey Wind feasting on fallen Bolton soldiers as the direwolf had when they were set out against Lannisters. He could also see the battle outside the walls had been victorious as well. Had the gates been repaired, they would have had to lay siege to Winterfell and might have had to sit outside the walls for weeks. His home was a fortress that needed very few men to keep it, if they knew how to keep it.

He wouldn't lose Winterfell again.

"See the dead beyond the walls, so the queen's people may settle. Prepare a messenger to ride back to Cerwyn. Our ravens are long dead, they will have to be sent from Cerwyn."

"As you command, Your Grace."

After a moment, Robb headed back down from the battlements. He would have to select some of his forces to remain with the Meereenese who had volunteered to help rebuild the crumbling castle. A great deal of work was laid out before them, but he trusted Daenerys' word that they were skilled builders and would have it done before winter set in.