Publishing Madness! (A good kind of madness.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hellion

Original poster
So I just got some exciting news! I might be getting published! My sister-in-law's cousin works with the local publishing company, and they asked if I would mind sending in some scripts from my book. So I did, and apparently they liked what they read! So they said they are giving me time to finish up my book, and then it's a good possibility that it could be published by the end of 2015 - beginning of 2016.

I'm so excited! I am just wondering if there are any other authors on here with up-icoming books, or with published books out already? Any advice for a newb?

Wow! I'm really excited for you!

A goal in life for me is to get a novel published. And then become Brandon Sanderson/Robert Jordan/George R.R. Martin famous. And semi-rich.

The only bit of advice I can get for you is to get a fucking lawyer. Find a lawyer that specializes in contracts, publishing contracts if you can find that expertise. They will help you negotiate and decipher whatever contract this publishing company decides to work out with you.

You might think what is happening is a "favor" for you, but it is absolutely a business deal, and while you should be thankful you have this opportunity, you need to be smart about it. A lawyer can help fight for you in rights that you don't even know you have, and will help you in getting as much money and opportunity as you possibly can from this book/publishing deal.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

The only bit of advice I can get for you is to get a fucking lawyer. Find a lawyer that specializes in contracts, publishing contracts if you can find that expertise. They will help you negotiate and decipher whatever contract this publishing company decides to work out with you.

You might think what is happening is a "favor" for you, but it is absolutely a business deal, and while you should be thankful you have this opportunity, you need to be smart about it. A lawyer can help fight for you in rights that you don't even know you have, and will help you in getting as much money and opportunity as you possibly can from this book/publishing deal.

This, this, and more this.

I can't really say I am "published" but I have a few ebook series floating around under a pen-name. Just hold your head high in the face of criticism, people will always say something, but you are the author, you decide what happens. Don't cater to fans just because you want to appease to them and they're whining. Such actions can be detrimental to an overall plot.

Otherwise, congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.