Primer

H

Hatsune Candy

Original poster
Time travel as a central plot device can be extremely difficult to execute due to its inherent complexity. As a result, very few story tellers are capable of doing it justice, which is a shame because it's my favorite aspect of science fiction.

Recently, I went through a sort of "time craving" as I like to call it, and I went on a desperate search for something to satisfy it. Eventually I found a movie that, at first glance, doesn't look like much, but after watching it a few times I think it might just be the most clever time travel story ever told.

Primer is an incredible indie film made almost entirely by Shane Carruth and considered by many to be a cult classic. The film was released in 2004 under the low, low budget of $7,000 and has since gone on to receive several awards, including the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival (the largest film festival in the United States)

There are many reasons why this film is so great and I'd love to go into all of them, but frankly I just don't think I could do it justice. Instead, I highly recommend you watch it for yourself. It's on Netflix, as well as iTunes, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Fair warning, though, it's one of those movies that you have to watch multiple times to fully understand. If you're not one for having your mind challenged, this film is definitely not for you.

You're more than welcome to share your thoughts on Primer below, but also feel free to mention any other time travel stories (movie or not) that you think might be better; I'd be happy to hear them!

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
It's hard to find a good time travel movie these days (the majority are so downright silly that they're hard to sit through), so I'll definitely check this out.

Tell me, does the plot go beyond Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey stuff?

Regardless I'll probably give it a look. :3