- Alternative Reality
- Genre-Bent Reality
- Steampunk
- Cyberpunk
- Dieselpunk
- Magipunk
- Sci-fi
- Superhuman
I feel like I'm the only one who does this as I've always taken a writer's approach to role-playing: getting inspired by a roleplay to the point of day dreaming about future scenes and writing said scenes down for future use. These pre-written posts can range from something completely random to something that might actually expand on the plot, or reveal a whole new sub-plot entirely. In fact, I have a whole private blog post dedicated to this. Does anyone else do this?

And for the record, I don't force the roleplay into the direction I want it to go, these are more "if it happens, it happens" kind of deals.

Reactions: Lilac
I get inspired by roleplays to the point of daydreaming about future scenes and possibilities too xD But I don't really write them down for future use, just keep them in mind or make small notes to remind me until I can use them.

I'm with Hana with this. I'm currently involved in one offsite that is having me like that, and it's a great feeling to have when you daydream possibilities within an rp for your character(s).

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Not normally.

Because I don't know where it's going quite yet until me and my partner agree on who starts it.

Am with you on the day dreaming on where things could go though.

Edit: once used the same post to begin four different role plays because people wanted to use that character and setting. All but one of those didn't take a horribly boring and cliche turn.

I think about my favourite RPs a lot. I also spend like, runs or workouts planning my Group roleplays a lot. I don't think I've ever recorded future post ideas though~

I'm the same way, I start thinking about what's going to happen next and start getting really shaky or sweaty even though sometimes the person decides to leave.

coming back to this!

Oh, I daydream about these sorts of scenarios all the time, many of them being things that I know will never happen in the RP, but I never write them down. Too much effort when I have better things to do. XD

I daydream about potential paths for RPs a lot.
But I don't write them, RPs are too unpredictable by nature to prepare for it like that.

Whoops, guess it really is just me then ^^' Oh well, nine out of ten times I actually do use these pre-written posts, normally because the rps I write for are usually with partners I role played with before or have been roleplaying with for a fairly long time :) So I trust the roleplay to get as far as I need it to.

I sometimes jot down notes in advance for ideas I want to incorporate later, but I rarely do anything like a full post (only did like 2 preemptive posts, and the RPs never made it that far, but I really wanted to write those scenes), but I would never do something in a group RP like that if it didn't involve just my characters. RPs are unpredictable, and if I found out somebody was pre-writing a bunch of posts, and it should be noticeable, I'd be reluctant to play with them in the future because I wouldn't be 100% sure they are even reading my posts half the time.

I sometimes jot down notes in advance for ideas I want to incorporate later, but I rarely do anything like a full post (only did like 2 preemptive posts, and the RPs never made it that far, but I really wanted to write those scenes), but I would never do something in a group RP like that if it didn't involve just my characters. RPs are unpredictable, and if I found out somebody was pre-writing a bunch of posts, and it should be noticeable, I'd be reluctant to play with them in the future because I wouldn't be 100% sure they are even reading my posts half the time.

Just because I pre-write posts doesn't mean I don't read my partner's replies omo I love reading replies! And I do edit them to fit the actual situation :P

I preplan scenes. O___O But I never pre-write posts, because people's actions in the roleplays can change things so much and I don't wanna have to go back and edit/rewrite stuff. Sometimes their replies change things so much the scene I had planned no longer works and I hate doing all that writing for no reason. ><

I feel like I'm the only one who does this as I've always taken a writer's approach to role-playing: getting inspired by a roleplay to the point of day dreaming about future scenes and writing said scenes down for future use. These pre-written posts can range from something completely random to something that might actually expand on the plot, or reveal a whole new sub-plot entirely. In fact, I have a whole private blog post dedicated to this. Does anyone else do this?

And for the record, I don't force the roleplay into the direction I want it to go, these are more "if it happens, it happens" kind of deals.
This is called "making a plot." This is actually a highly useful skill, more-so for GM's than players, but it has its uses for both. Planning and knowing at least roughly where the story is going to go helps a lot in planning out your immediate and near-future actions. "I want to get involved in a romance!" Figure out candidates, think of scenes that might spur a romance, pursue them. Want to defeat the Big Bad? Where is he/she located? How will you get there? What will you need to defeat him/her? Think of scenes to achieve these ends, use your character's actions to pursue them.

Seriously, you stumbled on a skill, a highly useful, integral skill. Use it. :ferret:

I preplan scenes. O___O But I never pre-write posts, because people's actions in the roleplays can change things so much and I don't wanna have to go back and edit/rewrite stuff. Sometimes their replies change things so much the scene I had planned no longer works and I hate doing all that writing for no reason. ><

I guess I'm just really involved ^^'

Hmmm... it's quite normal for me to "write" post ideas in my head, both based on things I want to bring out about my character, and based on things inspired by previous posters. So, I write a post, post it, and while waiting for replies, I come up with potential responses to what the other posters could write in their own responses, based on the "hints" of potential "direction" I've written into my own posts. Sometimes others pick up on them, and I then get to use my "head post"... or they may take things in a completely unexpected direction.

At which point, I simply go with the flow. All in my head, so no wasted paper/ink/pencil, no worn out fingers. No biggie. But lots of fun.

Hmmm... it's quite normal for me to "write" post ideas in my head, both based on things I want to bring out about my character, and based on things inspired by previous posters. So, I write a post, post it, and while waiting for replies, I come up with potential responses to what the other posters could write in their own responses, based on the "hints" of potential "direction" I've written into my own posts. Sometimes others pick up on them, and I then get to use my "head post"... or they may take things in a completely unexpected direction.

At which point, I simply go with the flow. All in my head, so no wasted paper/ink/pencil, no worn out fingers. No biggie. But lots of fun.
I do this to, but because of my ADD I often forgot so I jot my thoughts down it turns into a post, which then became a habit to pre-write them ^^'

@Noctis the Devious ...

Ah, yes... if you have issues with remembering, always good to write things down. I hate losing good material.

I do this to, but because of my ADD I often forgot so I jot my thoughts down it turns into a post, which then became a habit to pre-write them ^^'

@Noctis the Devious ...

Ah, yes... if you have issues with remembering, always good to write things down. I hate losing good material.

Oh, well, if we're just talking about writing things down to remember them, then yeah that makes sense. Personally, my entire life is pretty much held together by a combination of paper and digital notes in a variety of places to help me remember every tiny thing I could possibly forget because I just don't trust myself to remember things. XD I just don't write out full posts because A) an actual IC post, at least for me, is a lot longer and more fleshed out than a few quick bullet points designed to jog my memory, and B) the RP scenarios I daydream about are usually ones that I know will never happen, and they're just fun to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.