Powerful (Kisara and DawnsLight)

Laughing at her enthusiasm and apparent pride in her timeliness, Nick congratulated his friend. Her grin upon seeing him made him inexplicably more happy, if that were even possible. He was beaming and just a little distracted when she clicked his picture.

She had captured him before the confusion had time to cross his face, and so the picture was actually a good one. He almost didn't recognize the handsome face grinning out from the screen as his own. It took everything he had not to let his cheeks flare with color. "Why are you taking a picture of me to mark the occasion? You're the one on time!" He asked with incredulity and a little shyness coloring his voice. He couldn't remember the last time someone had taken his photo for anything besides identification.

Shaking his head, the smile still on his face despite his chagrin, Nick led the way into the lecture hall before they were counted as tardy despite their best efforts. He sat in the seats they held previously, preparing for taking notes. With the few minutes before class actually began, he asked after Piper's day.

"How've you been? Enjoying your classes so far?" He couldn't seem to wipe the grin from his face when he was in her presence. He hoped that she didn't think him foolish for it.

Piper gave a soft chuckle, pressing buttons on her phone as she spoke. "To be honest, I wanted to assign a picture to your number in my phone... So, since the first issue is taken care of, could I have your number?" She peeked up from the screen at him a bit shyly. She definitely wasn't used to asking guys for their phone numbers... "I thought about it after we had lunch, and I figured it would be best to get your number so we could hang out, you know, if you wanted to..." Her words tumbled out as she quickly explained, afraid of seeming too forward.

She followed him inside the classroom, taking her seat next to him, feeling a little self-conscious after her silly sputtering.She answered his question with her seemingly omnipresent smile. "It's been okay so far, most of my other courses are pretty basic. This one seems to be the most challenging, go figure." She shook her head with a laugh. "How about you, how have your classes been?"

He sort of had to do a double-take at her question. Had he heard right? She wanted his- Answer her, nitwit! Nick shook himself mentally, his grin widening even moreso before rattling off his number to her. "Just give me a call sometime and I'll have your number too," he said, trying to act casually. Inside he was doing cartwheels.

As they took their seats, he nodded. The homework assignment had been challenging, but he enjoyed it. It honestly was something that he was interested in, personal reasons notwithstanding. He was feeling so good at the moment that he leaned an elbow on the little shelf that acted as a desk in the lecture hall, resting his chin on his hand and wiggling his eyebrows in a comedic show of mock-flirtation. "Well, if you need some private lessons I'm always more than happy to oblige." He couldn't go any further without breaking into a chuckle. "Classes have been alright, like you said they're pretty basic stuff. I think my Lit class is going to be fun, though."

Setting his bag aside where she wouldn't be able to see inside, he dug around for his notes and pencil. Nick had his mouth open to ask about her day yesterday when the professor called attention and instead he shut his mouth with a disappointed shrug. It would have to wait until after class.

Piper shrugged back with a grin, concealing her amusement at his antics. Their banter would just have to wait, then. She endured the lecture with a bit difficulty; the professor was covering subject matter at a rather alarming pace. She did her best to keep up, but it was starting to seem like she bit off more than she could chew with this particular class. Of course, it didn't help that she was a wee bit distracted by her new friend...

As the professor ended the day's lesson, Piper brushed a hand through her messy bangs, turning to look at Nick with an exasperated expression. "Okay, was it just me or did he whiz by today?!" She turned, replacing her notebook and pen to her bag. "I mean, I knew this course wasn't going to be easy but..."

She stood, stretched, and slid her backpack onto her shoulders. Just as she opened her mouth to speak again, her stomach interrupted with a mighty roar. She blinked, blushed and laughed. "Guess it's time for lunch?"

Nick very carefully stowed his things, glancing up at Piper as he did. Concern crossed his face when she voiced her struggle with the course materials. "You know, all joking aside, if you want to get together and study sometime I'm more than happy to lend a hand." And it will give us time alone, just you and me at my place for a little- SHUT UP. Nick shoved the not-entirely-innocent thought aside. She was pretty and bubbly and sweet and probably just saw him as a friend. What did he have to offer a girl like that? Better to be friends than nothing, right?

With a chuckle at her growling stomach, Nick stood and shouldered his bag carefully. Making small talk on the way to the cafeteria, he made plans with Piper to meet in the lounge they had found previously. Once she was out of sight getting her own lunch, Nick rushed to throw a few things on his own tray and get there before she did. Spinning and dodging through the crowd with no small amount of skill, he broke away at last with a wide grin on his face.

He made it first! Quickly, Nick set his tray of food- a sandwich, bag of chips, and bottle of water; nothing able to spill- on top of the piano in the room and moved to the low table in front of the couches. With near-reverential care, he pulled a small tupperware container from his bag and set it on the table. It looked as if it had managed to stay upright during its journey from his home and he smiled warmly as he popped the top off.

The little package he had taken such care in carrying and concealing was soon revealed as being a small cake. A little larger than a cupcake and iced all over albeit roughly with chocolate frosting, he smiled at his handiwork. The word 'thanks' was scrawled on top in white icing along with a lopsided smiley face. He hoped she liked it.

Tossing his bag aside and leaping up to retrieve his tray, Nick bounded back to the couch to wait. He couldn't help smiling, eyes fixed on the door.

Piper smiled meekly back, very unlike her usual gregarious self. She nodded in response to his offer. "I might take you up on that, actually. I-If you have time to spare, of course." She stammered a bit, laughing to cover up the awkwardness she had unintentionally created.

After making rendezvous plans, Piper navigated the crowded cafeteria with less ease than usual. She thought seriously about the work that Intro to Gen Theory would entail, and started to feel a familiar dread in the pit of her stomach. High school had been a pain for her; it wasn't that she couldn't learn and retain information at a normal pace, but she had an enormous amount of difficulty focusing on schoolwork. There was always so much to DO; track and field, swimming, horseback riding, coaching soccer... The list was endless. Not to mention, make sure Chloe was fed and supervised so that their mom wouldn't yell at her for being irresponsible yet again-

"That'll be $15.78, ma'am."

She shook her head, grinning sheepishly and paying the cashier for her food. She made an effort to focus on getting out the cafeteria and into the lounge with her food safely, but found her mind start to wander again...

She entered the lounge, still looking downtrodden, until her eyes met Nick's. She blinked back to reality, her eyes moving from Nick's, down to the cake, then back up to his again, hazel ablaze. "You... You made a cake?!" She hurried over, placing her mountain of food on an adjacent table, plopping next to him on the couch. "Dude, this looks awesome!!" Suddenly, she turned, embracing him in a bone-crushing hug. "Why are you thanking me?! I should be thanking you!! Thank you so much, Nick!!"

'Bone-crushing', as it turned out, wasn't actually much of an exaggeration...

Nick gasped and chuckled wheezily; he was pretty sure that he felt a rib crack, but there was no way he was going to ask Piper to let him go. She was so strong! He knew that the girl was very physically active, but she must also be doing some sort of weight training for that kind of squeeze. Or she was just that happy. It was quite a change from when she had walked in.

When she finally released him and he was able to breathe again, Nick smiled shyly and ran a hand back through his hair. "Well... y'know. For sharing lunch with me the other day and just being a bright spot here for me. I don't..." He paused, glancing away, "I don't make friends easily, since I sort of fade into the background. So I just wanted to say thanks." He looked over at Piper once more, smile so wide and bright that the thought of him going unnoticed was almost absurd. He almost looked like a different person from the boy she had run into in the hall as vibrant as he was now. Nick was practically glowing.

Scratch the practically. Nick was glowing.

Warm light, softly diffused and almost unnoticeable against the large window behind them emanated from his skin, his stormy eyes shining merrily. And he didn't seem to notice, his attention was so fixed on the girl beside him. The light in him faded as his expression changed, turning serious. He almost reached for her hand, but stopped himself.

"Now, more important than cake, why did you look so upset when you walked in?" Nick asked softly, concern in his voice as he leaned closer. "Piper, did something happen? Are you okay?"

Piper's eyes widened in awe, but she didn't have time to wonder after the strange glow she swore she saw exuding from his skin. She blushed, looking away from his concerned gaze. "Oh, no no, I'm fine, I was just thinking about high school again..." She laughed, the tone noticeably forced, trying to diffuse the seriousness that had befallen the conversation. "I had a rough time focusing on homework and classes in high school. My dad's away a lot on business and my mom's a full-time nurse, so I had to take care of my little sister after school." She paused to push her hair behind her ear. "After today's class, I felt that same feeling of, like... dread, I guess. Like I was doomed to fail or something." She blushed, hazel eyes meeting his gaze. "Sounds ridiculous, I know."

She turned to look at the cake again, her features instantly brightening. "I really can't wait to try this! But I'll be good and eat my lunch first, and save the dessert for last." She grinned at him and moved her lunch in front of her, digging in.

Nick pulled his tray closer as well and began to unwrap his sandwich, shaking his head as he did. "I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Piper, really- if you want to come over to my place or meet in the library or something and go over anything that might be giving you trouble. I'm right there beside you in class, it's not like I'm going to leave you hanging." He smiled shyly, pausing to take a bite.

"And you've got my number now. Call me anytime, I mean it." He said between bites, suddenly finding something of great interest on a potato chip. Or for any reason. Doesn't have to be studying. He silenced the little voice that kept piping up, though not with as much force as he might typically. It had a point after all.

Popping the chip into his mouth, a slight flush coloring his cheeks, Nick gently bumped his shoulder against Piper's. "So stop worrying about it, huh? You're gonna get it in no time and be just fine. How was your day yesterday?"

As she spoke, he ate and watched her with a little smile playing across his lips. She really was such a kind and vivacious person; he felt lucky to have met her and that she would even give him the time of day. Much less want to be friends. The thought made him smile and feel warm all over. He made the decision then that he wouldn't try to press and would try to cover his feelings however he could lest he drive her off. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if he did that.

Finishing his lunch, he leaned back on the couch with a satisfied sigh and rested his hands on his stomach. With a mischievous eyebrow wiggle and a goofy grin he asked: "You ready for dessert yet?"

Piper gave him a smile, nodding in agreement. "I know myself, I'll definitely need help. If I don't get a handle on the material right now, I won't be able to catch up if I fall behind." She sighed, eating some of her food before continuing. "When would be a good time for you to meet up to study? Maybe we can make it a weekly thing, at the library?" Her eyes lit up suddenly. "Oh man, in all the excitement of this week, I totally forgot about the library! Would you like to go explore it soon?" Her lively hazel eyes shined convincingly.

She set about eating her lunch, temporarily forgetting about the hardships that plagued her mind previously, daydreaming about the stacks of old wonderful-smelling books. She sat quietly for a little while, remembering the hours spent exploring her middle school's library, a habit that stuck with her on to high school. It was strange, she could focus intently on reading anything that appealed to her, but if she wasn't interested in the subject matter, she might as well have been reading a blank wall. She sighed once more, finishing up her lunch on a bittersweet thought.

Piper laughed jovially at his silly expression, flashing a big grin. "I saved room! Let's dig in, I'm dying to try this!"

Nick couldn't help the grin that spread across his face at Piper's enthusiasm; how could he deny her? Crunching a chip, he nodded, swallowing before he spoke again. "Sounds like a plan, then! I'm actually free today after classes, if you want to go over the material we covered in class today?"

While Piper busied herself with her meal, he did the same all the while stealing covert glances. She seemed so happy at the mention of the library, and now lost in thought while she ate. He would have loved to know what she was thinking. Nick finished his meal, a plan beginning to form.

At her enthusiasm to try his attempt at baking, he couldn't help laughing along with her and gesturing toward the home made confection: "Well then, ladies first! Dig in; I uh... I ate enough of the cake scraps and extra frosting to know that it is edible. By my standards, anyway." He smiled and shrugged, standing to take care of their garbage. He tried to sound casual as he asked from across the room. "Hey Piper, remind me what class you've got after lunch? Was it a study period or...?" He looked up questioningly. He hoped she was free; it was no good for her tutor to get her in trouble for skipping class and potentially doing poorly. "Let me know what you think, by the way. And don't feel like you have to spare my feelings or anything." He grinned widely.

Piper's smile widened, nodding back. "That would be perfect! I think it's best if I get a grip on the material right now before he dumps even more new stuff on us..."

She took a plastic spoon and raised it high. "Alright then, bon appétit!" Scooping up a generous portion, she popped it into her mouth. Her eyes closed and she sighed happily. "Ahhh, chocolate heaven!" She opened her eyes, hazel shining brightly. "Thank you so much Nick, it's delicious!"

She took a couple bites more before she answered. "Mm, I usually have a Lit class after lunch, but it was cancelled today, so I'm free! Do you have a class next?" She continued to work on the cake, stopping herself midway through, slumping back on the sofa. "Oh man, I'm stuffed."

"So there is a limit!" He chuckled lightly, raising his hands in a gesture of submission. "Kidding, kidding... I'm really glad you liked it." Nick practically beamed, resting his elbows on his knees as he sat and looking at Piper. He felt suddenly nervous at the news of her class being cancelled; he had sort of thought that she might turn him down. Surprise flickers across Nick's face as he shook his head. "No, it only meets every two weeks.." He trailed off.

He smiled again and stood, cleaning up the last remnants of their lunch and packing the cake away back into its container before handing it to Piper. "Here, you can take it home and finish it off if you want?" Nick grabbed his bag, being a little less ginger with it now that it no longer held its precious contents. He offered and hand to Piper next, stormy eyes oddly warm as he looked to her. "Well, let's explore that library then!"

On their way across campus, Nick kept up idle chit-chat. The conversation flowed easily when he was with Piper, and he found himself glancing at her more than where he was walking. He managed not to trip and fall this time, though and noted rather proudly that he was doing much better than their first day of getting to know one another. He opened the door for her with a grand sweep and a wide grin, "M'lady. Your library awaits!"

Piper's eyes narrowed as she grinned and elbowed his shoulder. "Watch it, you! I may have a big appetite but I'm still a girl!" She stuck out her tongue playfully. The prospect of being able to eat the cake at a later date almost made her full stomach grumble, her jubilant expression mirroring his. "That would be awesome, thanks so much!! I promise I'll return the Tupperware nice and clean." She took his hand and helped herself up, once again with shocking strength for such a small frame. She nearly toppled him over by pulling him forward. Her hazel eyes met his; what she saw there made her want to blush again. She grinned and nodded instead, eyes lighting up. 'Yes!!" Shy didn't fit her personality, anyway.

Piper blew at her bangs as they walked, pushing the unruly black strands behind her ears unsuccessfully. "I can't wait until these grow out... They're such a pain!" She grinned up at him, enjoying their walk. She felt simultaneously at ease and excited when she was with him, an odd combination that she had admitted to herself she had never experienced before... But very much enjoyed. Not to mention, he's really cute... She couldn't help the blush that sprang to her cheeks at the thought. Luckily, at that moment, his attention was turned to opening the door for her.

She chuckled at his joking formality, miming the turning up of a skirt in a curtsy. "Why, thank you kindly, my good man!" Her laughed echoed in the vast library as they entered, earning a scathing round of "Shhh" from the patrons inside. She clamped her hand over her mouth, eyes turning to his, sparkling mischievously. She spotted an elevator at the right side, taking his hand and heading towards it, pressing the Up button. She leaned up to whisper in his ear, "Let's start on a different floor, shall we? I think I've already made enemies on this one..." She giggled.

There appeared to be four floors to the building. She peered up at him curiously. "I guess we should start at the top and work our way down?" She pressed 4 and leaned against the back of the elevator, the cool metal sending a shiver up her spine despite the warm hoodie she wore.