POTW: New Experiences

Do your characters have experiences that you, youself have never experienced?

• No, I never write about things I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
This week I wanted to feature the really great character/roleplay exercise by Minibit about NEW EXPERIENCES!

The exercise is about writing on a subject YOU have never personally experienced before. So while I was easily listing off a tone of stuff I have never done that I make characters do... I thought it would be a good poll! 8D

What are some first time experiences you have given to characters, but have never done yourself? Do you ever have your characters do things you'd never ever do?

• Love
  • Thank You
Reactions: Sakura and Minibit
While I often have characters do what I have never done, there is a very large tendency for such things to be of interest to me. Careers can sometimes be stuff I have fancied in the past like book shop owner or jewler. Then there are times when I use research as my vehicle to find some sort of niche or interest for my character. It is always amazing what they do.

This poll is surprising me so far; I mean..

A man who doesn't read lives a single life, and dies. A man who reads lives a hundred lives

writing is an opportunity to experience anything you want through your characters, don't waste that!

I've made my characters...

• Join and flee the police force
  • Infiltrate the mafia
  • Be committed to psychiatric institutions
  • Hunt demons/dangerous animals for sport
  • Fight in the army
  • Survive out of a backpack for weeks on end
  • Make a living as a conman
  • Join a cult

• Love
Reactions: Sakura
Isn't putting yourself in situations you've never experienced yourself half the point of roleplaying in the first place? o_O

Reactions: Zizikitty
If I couldn't place my characters into situations I've never experienced I'd never be able to do anything Fantasy or SciFi related, ever. I mean how many of us have ever actually stepped foot through an inter-dimensional portal into an entirely different reality/world, or been able to create things just by thinking about them, or had to take a moon base from a tyrannical government using playing cards and poker hands as a communication code for the underground?

. . . Wait a minute, ignore that last one I'm gonna use that eventually :D

I don't think there's much of anything myself and my characters have done. Most of the time they are doing things I could possibly not do or simply have no desire to do. Though these things are fun and interesting for me to write about. I explained it best when I explained role playing to my husband. I role play because these are adventures or experiences that I could not ever have. Or do not wish to have myself.

That quote!

I would rather:

A man who reads knows a hundred lives. A man who writes lives a thousand.

• Love
Reactions: Diana
Yes, I've made several character that have done things I wish I could do, but many are either impossible, illegal or just something I haven't gotten a chance at yet.