Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
AAAAAAH IT IS SUCH A GOOD YEAR TO BE A POKEMON FAN!!!

WHY, YOU ASK?? WELL THERE ARE MANY REASONS. BUT BEFORE I DELVE INTO THAT LET ME FIRST SHARE THIS WONDERFUL LITTLE VIDEO WITH YOU:

IS IT TOO EARLY FOR SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS TO BE POSTED ONLINE? YES. BUT, I DON'T CARE. BECAUSE THIS IS HONESTLY JUST BEAUTIFUL AND SO TRUE TO THE POKEMON SPIRIT AND ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO SELL ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR. IT'S JUST A CELEBRATION OF POKEMON OVERALL. AND THAT'S WONDERFUL.

And it's also great for getting you in the right hyped-up mood to get excited about EVERYTHING ELSE THIS YEAR HAS TO OFFER.

BECAUSE LIKE ANY MILESTONE ANNIVERSARY YEAR SHOULD BE, IT'S FILLED WITH FUCKIN' AMAZING NONSENSE.

Like, how about, in the spirit of an anniversary like this, we go back to Pokemon's roots with 3DS PORTS OF THE ORIGINAL GEN I GAMES.

WITH WIRELESS COMMUNICATION SUPPORT AND EVERYTHING. THAT'S RIGHT, YOU GET TO EXPERIENCE THE ORIGINAL POKEMON GAMES AS THEY WERE MEANT TO BE PLAYED, COMPLETE WITH TRADING AND BATTLING AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE -- THE CORE IDEAS THAT INSPIRED THIS ENTIRE SERIES TO BEGIN WITH.

WERE THESE GAMES A BELOVED PART OF YOUR CHILDHOOD, ALTHOUGH YOU LAMENTED THE FACT THAT YOU COULDN'T TRADE OR BATTLE ANYONE? DID YOU BUY A GAMEBOY LINK CABLE ONLY TO FIND THAT FUCKING NO ONE EVEN WANTED TO PLAY WITH YOU, AND EVEN WHEN THEY DID, THE PIECE-OF-SHIT CABLE DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING WORK RIGHT??

OR DID YOU NOT AT ALL EXPERIENCE THE SAME PARTICULAR DILEMMA THAT I FACED IN MY OWN CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES OF THESE GAMES, BUT YOU STILL REALLY WANNA TRY OUT SOME CLASSIC POKEMON AND ACTUALLY INTERACT WITH PEOPLE ON IT???

WELL THEN YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED, BECAUSE NINTENDO'S BRINGING YOU SOME GORGEOUS CLASSIC POKEMON WHILE KEEPING INTACT THE BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE OF TRADING AND BATTLING WITH YOUR NERD FRIENDS, JUST AS IT WAS INTENDED TWENTY YEARS AGO.

BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT THE OTHER COOL THING ABOUT GEN I WAS?? "CATCHING 'EM ALL" WAS ACTUALLY KIND OF A PLAUSIBLE FUCKING TASK, so long as you could actually trade with people. When playing the game, it's easy to see that, ideally, catching a modest 150 species would be challenging but still at least within reach if you could only trade to get the ones that you'll otherwise never have. Linking up with someone not possible for you?? TOO BAD. I GUESS YOU'RE NOT GETTING THOSE VERSION EXCLUSIVES OR THE OTHER TWO STARTERS. MUCH LESS ANYTHING THAT EVOLVES SPECIFICALLY BY TRADING. YOU'RE SHIT OUT OF LUCK, KID.

UNTIL NOW.

And yes, I did say "150" and not "151", because, in the original games, they literally never even programmed in any way to encounter Mew. Hell, Mew wasn't even originally planned to be in the game to begin with! They snuck it in at the last minute and a good chunk of the development team didn't even know about it until after the game's release. And it shows, too -- given the fact that Gen I Mew only learns a grand total of five moves by leveling up, but is compatible with literally ALL TM's and HM's (I guess they didn't have much time to program specifics on that front), and uh, oh yeah, there's also the fact that ITS CODE IS IN THE GAME, AND IT IS A PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL POKEMON IN EVERY REGARD, BUT THEY LITERALLY NEVER PROGRAMMED ANY WAY FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY ENCOUNTER IT (which is why, famously, the only way to obtain Mew in Gen I is by exploiting a glitch). Oh, and it's ALSO the reason -- for all you Pokemon fans who were kept awake at night as a kid pondering this -- why Mew comes after Mewtwo in the Pokedex. Cuz originally only Mewtwo was supposed to actually be in the game to begin with, and they tacked Mew onto the end later. ...Which would also explain why the final count even wound up being 151 as opposed to keeping it at a nice, marketable number like 150. (THAT'S A FUN BIT OF POKEMON TRIVIA FOR YA!!!)

But, back to the point -- is it likely that the 3DS ports of Red/Blue/Yellow will have patched the aforementioned glitch that was previously the only way of getting Mew? (Along with probably a lot of other glitches because uh, yeah, there were a FUCKING TON OF THEM in Gen I, even way beyond the really infamous ones.) Unfortunately, that is a distinct possibility -- especially since that glitch can do a lot more than summoning Mew. Screw around with it too much and you can unleash HELL and it is literally the reason why I can't even walk onto route 7 anymore on my old copy of Red without the game fucking up in all sorts of freaky ways. And while I'm probably not the only one who would fucking fangirl squeal upon seeing a Missingno on a fucking 3DS screen, it's rather understandable as to why Gamefreak might want to patch a lot of this crazy shit up. (Kind of makes me wonder if they can really catch everything, though. There were just so many glitches...)

BUT, THAT SAID, does this mean that, since using the 3DS console's superior technology to remedy the flaws of some old games is apparently a possibility, it's plausible that they might actually try to hand out actual MYSTERY GIFTS for Mew in this game?? Well, I don't know. That's kind of wishful thinking, and I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't really give us any way to encounter Mew at all. And honestly? I'd be ok with that -- since being able to collect 150 Pokemon by trading with other people precisely the way it was intended is more than good enough for me.

Besides, it's been fucking forever since they gave out an event Mew. That thing's probably one of the rarest and most coveted -- if not the rarest and coveted -- event Pokemon on the market right now, if only because I'm pretty sure there hasn't been an event for it since Gen III.

So, even the idea of a Mew mystery gift on the current generation of Pokemon games just seems like something that'll never happeOH WAIT WAIT WAIT.

WAIT.

MEW MYSTERY GIFT FOR GEN VI, YOU SAY???

WELL HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS, CUZ MEW'S COMING, AND IT'S NOT ALONE!!!.

THAT'S RIGHT, NOT ONLY DO YOU GET MEW, FUCKING MEW AS AN EVENT STARTING NEXT MONTH, BUT 2016 WILL ALSO BRING US A GRAND TOTAL OF ELEVEN. EVENT. POKEMON. AND I DON'T MEAN EVENTS AS IN "HERE'S SOME COOL SORT OF RARE POKEMON THAT YOU COULD PLAUSIBLY CATCH ON YOUR OWN BUT WE'RE HANDING IT OUT FOR FREE CUZ IT'S STILL COOL AND RARE" -- NO, I MEAN, EVENT-ONLY POKEMON, SHIT LIKE MEW AND CELEBI AND ALL THOSE OTHER FANCY PANTSY CANNOT-TRADE-THIS-ON-THE-GTS-FOR-SOME-REASON-EVEN-THOUGH-PLAYERS-ARE-STILL-CAPABLE-OF-ASKING-FOR-IT-ON-THE-GTS-FOR-SOME-REASON SPECIES THAT'VE SPENT THE PAST 20 YEARS CLUTTERING UP THE POKEDEX WITH SLOTS THAT HAVE SLIM-TO-NONE CHANCES OF BEING FILLED BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON UNLESS GAMEFREAK DECIDES TO BE GENEROUS AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME -- EMPTY SLOTS THAT JUST SIT THERE, TAUNTING YOU, LIKE VERSION-EXCLUSIVES ON THE POKEDEX OF A FUCKING GEN I GAME THAT'S NEVER BEEN ABLE TO CONNECT TO ANYTHING EVER.

BUT NO MORE, CUZ NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO CATCH UP WITH ELEVEN. EVENT. POKEMON., ALL THROUGHOUT THIS GLORIOUS YEAR.

ARE YOU EVEN HEARING ME??? AN EVENT FOR ANOTHER RARE EVENT-ONLY SPECIES EVERY MONTH STARTING IN FEBRUARY!!!

Have I convinced you that 2016 is the best year in Pokemon yet??? Well don't be convinced just yet, because I feel I should remind you all that POKEMON GO NEVER STOPPED BEING A THING.

YEAH, THAT'S COMING OUT THIS YEAR, TOO. Oh, wait, what's that?? You're still skeptical of the game living up to what you hoped it would be, because you couldn't get any concrete info from those beautiful but admittedly not-very-informative trailers??? Well APPARENTLY YOU MISSED THE UPDATE ON THAT, BECAUSE NOT ONLY WILL DIFFERENT SPECIES OF POKEMON BE PRESENT DEPENDING ON THE ENVIRONMENT YOU'RE IN (JUST LIKE WE HOPED), AND NOT ONLY WILL THERE BE LIVE EVENTS THAT MULTIPLE PEOPLE IN THE AREA CAN GET IN ON (LIKE THE TRAILER SUGGESTED WITH THE MEWTWO THING), BUT THERE'LL EVEN BE GYMS.

FUCKING. GYMS.

YOU GET TO GO AND PHYSICALLY TRAVEL ACROSS THE LAND, SEARCHING FAR AND WIDE, LITERALLY EXPLORING NEW REAL-WORLD AREAS IN SEARCH FOR RARE SPECIES OF POKEMON; YOU GET TO BATTLE AND TRAIN THOSE LOVELY THINGS SO THEY GET STRONGER; YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO TRADE WITH PEOPLE SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU A CHANCE TO OBTAIN SPECIES THAT WERE CAUGHT SOMEPLACE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO (*foams at the mouth*); AND THEN, WHEN YOU'RE READY TO PUT YOUR POKEMON SKILLS TO THE TEST,

YOU CAN CHALLENGE

ACTUAL. POKEMON. GYMS.

SO IF YOU WERE GETTING HYPED UP JUST THINKING ABOUT HOW THE 3DS PORTS OF GEN I ARE GONNA LET YOU EXPERIENCE THE TRUEST, PUREST SPIRIT OF POKEMON EXACTLY AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE EXPERIENCED, I JUST WANT YOU TO CONSIDER THIS FUCKING APP -- BECAUSE I DON'T THINK ANYTHING CAN MORE CLEARLY CAPTURE EVERYTHING THAT POKEMON WAS SUPPOSED TO FEEL LIKE, AND EVERYTHING THAT THOSE ORIGINAL GAME DEVELOPERS TRIED SO HARD TO INCORPORATE INTO THOSE FIRST FEW GAMES, EVEN THOUGH TECHNOLOGY AT THE TIME COULD ONLY DO SO MUCH, AND THE REST HAD TO BE FILLED IN WITH YOUR IMAGINATION.

BUT NOW WE HAVE THIS, AND THE DREAM OF BEING A POKEMON MASTER HAS NEVER FELT MORE REAL.

2016 IS GONNA BE AN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL YEAR. ;w;

Last edited:
So basically we can be Nostalgic Pokemon Masters already? Shweet. :3
Though you know the AP is going to create a whole new demand for better battery life on phones right?

Before anyone yells at me for 'shit posting' for replying too quickly. I saw this exact post in an OOC already so clam your butts.

Reactions: LunaValentine
So basically we can be Nostalgic Pokemon Masters already? Shweet. :3
Though you know the AP is going to create a whole new demand for better battery life on phones right?

Before anyone yells at me for 'shit posting' for replying too quickly. I saw this exact post in an OOC already so clam your butts.
:3 But that's why you have the watch thingamathing -- so you don't need your phone to be out constantly in order to search for Pokemon. You only need to take it out when the watch alerts you of the presence of one nearby.

:3 But that's why you have the watch thingamathing -- so you don't need your phone to be out constantly in order to search for Pokemon. You only need to take it out when the watch alerts you of the presence of one nearby.
Wouldn't that still drain constant power by being on constant watch mode?

20 years and the games have barely evolved. I own the original Red version and Black and was grossly disappointed to discover the games might as well been the same with a new coat of paint.

Maybe I'll try again in ten years when a handheld with the Wii U's power is released, and I will discover the same sprites with 4 moves and overall plot and progression and random battles as I discovered in 1996, and I will be left wondering once more why the franchise never tried to reach the potential it promised so many years ago, when the only thing holding it back was limited technology.

Y'know, I love Pokemon more than anyone I know. But, I dunno if I can get excited for Pokemon Go. All we saw was like, a single commercial, which was basically a, "This is an idea" and using lots of flashy CGI. I hope to be proven wrong.

But I can't wait for Pokken, I think it'll be pretty fun.

As for the release of the OG games on the 3DS virtual console thing, ehhhh, I'm not too excited about that either. I don't think they'll allow trading/battling over Wi-Fi (it'll probably only be over local) and, even having played the games since their release, I'm just not all that excited for them. The games probably won't be "fixed" really, more of a digital port over. And the game mechanics were broken, no two ways around it. I did like the remakes much more, due to added content and fixed stuff, but it could be fun to play a re-remake of them with the updated battle mechanics, though I'd much rather wait on re-remakes and instead get new games.

Oh I totally agree, but like

"Gotta Catch 'Em All!" was motivating and exciting when there were only 151

It was challenging when there were 251

But now there's over 700 of those little fuckers

Is it just me or is it more like a cruel taunt now?

Reactions: ☆Luna☆ and Seba
My inner completionist wishes you could transfer pokédex data. I'm just lacking a few dumb event things on Y and I don't wanna buy ORAS for event mons when I already own one of the originals. Same argument kinda goes for the original rerelease. I have a complete pokémon blue. With mew. I'm good. I like pokémon a lot but don't expect me to buy things until a new gen is out.

EDIT:

Also here's something relevant;

Apparently this is now a thing.

Last edited:
20 years and the games have barely evolved. I own the original Red version and Black and was grossly disappointed to discover the games might as well been the same with a new coat of paint.

Maybe I'll try again in ten years when a handheld with the Wii U's power is released, and I will discover the same sprites with 4 moves and overall plot and progression and random battles as I discovered in 1996, and I will be left wondering once more why the franchise never tried to reach the potential it promised so many years ago, when the only thing holding it back was limited technology.
Listen, ordinarily, I would love to have an actual discussion with you (or anyone else, for that matter) about why I like the things I like, as I do strongly disagree with you about Pokemon games not evolving in the past 20 years.

BUT

THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR

I MADE THIS THREAD FOR POKEMON HYPE.

YOU KNOW, FOR THE PEOPLE TO WHOM THE NEWS I LISTED IN THE OP ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING. SOMETHING TO GET EXCITED ABOUT.

AND SO

NEGATIVE NANCIES LIKE YOU AREN'T WELCOME HERE. >:C

Oh I totally agree, but like

"Gotta Catch 'Em All!" was motivating and exciting when there were only 151

It was challenging when there were 251

But now there's over 700 of those little fuckers

Is it just me or is it more like a cruel taunt now?
I agree. With each new generation, it feels less and less like catching 'em all is actually a thing that you're encouraged to go out and do. I'm pretty sure they hardly even use that slogan anymore for that exact reason.

And yes, actually trying to catch all the Pokemon in a current-gen game is beyond frustrating.

IMG_1155.jpg

...BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

I'd be more hyped if you get all 11 from the internet alone, but looking at it, you need to go in store for some, which disappoints me as I don't hang around Game Stores every day and such to validate a reason of just going for just that code.

I'll get super hype for Pokken Tournament though.

HYPE HYPE HYPE FOR THE POKEMON GO. NEED IT. NEED IT NOW. WHY ISN'T IT OUT YET? CAN I JUST HAVE A RELEASE DATE? I WANT IT TO BE OUT BEFORE I GET MY DOG SO THAT I CAN WALK MY DOG AND DO POKEMON STUFF. THIS WOULD BE SO COOL. Y'ALL. Y'ALL. Y'ALL. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. NOW. PLEASE NOW. HYPE HYPE HYPE.

I'd be more hyped if you get all 11 from the internet alone, but looking at it, you need to go in store for some, which disappoints me as I don't hang around Game Stores every day and such to validate a reason of just going for just that code.

I'll get super hype for Pokken Tournament though.
Personally, I think that the way they mixed things up so that it's not all straight from the internet kind of makes it more interesting. Needing to at least go out to Gamestop to get some of them kind of at least makes it feel like you're working for it, as opposed to getting a bunch of freebies, which is a bit more rewarding. XD

And who says you can't go to Gamestop just to download a mystery gift? I know I would, and I almost never even leave campus during the school season. OwO

Reactions: Darog
EDIT:

Also here's something relevant;

Apparently this is now a thing.
HOLY SHIT I ACTUALLY FUCKING SCREAMED WHEN I REALIZED THAT VOICE WAS ACTUALLY SUPPOSED TO BE PIKACHU'S. I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A NARRATOR.

THIS IS...

I NEVER WOULD'VE THOUGHT I NEEDED THIS UNTIL NOW.

Reactions: Seba
Personally, I think that the way they mixed things up so that it's not all straight from the internet kind of makes it more interesting. Needing to at least go out to Gamestop to get some of them kind of at least makes it feel like you're working for it, as opposed to getting a bunch of freebies, which is a bit more rewarding. XD

And who says you can't go to Gamestop just to download a mystery gift? I know I would, and I almost never even leave campus during the school season. OwO
There's also the problem in Britain that the closest Gamestop to me is in London, which is a 4 hour drive. Sure, they could give the codes to GAME, which is the UK equivalent. But really, they are just freebies xD. So I don't really see the problem in making all internet available. It's just how I feel about it, and yeah I get the whole "Working for it" to some sense.

There's also the problem in Britain that the closest Gamestop to me is in London, which is a 4 hour drive. Sure, they could give the codes to GAME, which is the UK equivalent. But really, they are just freebies xD. So I don't really see the problem in making all internet available. It's just how I feel about it, and yeah I get the whole "Working for it" to some sense.
Aw, that's unfortunate. :/ Yeah, I can see how it's not really the same thing when they're that far out of reach...

Personally I never bothered with the whole "Catch em all" deal.
I just caught and used the pokemon that I liked.

I agree. With each new generation, it feels less and less like catching 'em all is actually a thing that you're encouraged to go out and do. I'm pretty sure they hardly even use that slogan anymore for that exact reason.
I thought they had recycled it for Pokemon Origins...

BUT YES! HYPE!

Even though "gotta catch em all" doesn't really work for me any more, there's so much more to do than fill the dex and defeat the champion now! You can breed, play the metagame, win contests, customize your character... The options are endless and I love it ❤️

Reactions: Kagayours
THIS IS MY HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

I'm a huge Fighting game nerd, so this pleases me on so many levels.

Though I wished they get rid off the Lucha Pikachu, fuckin dumbest shit ever since they fuckin have HAWLUCHA!

I thought they had recycled it for Pokemon Origins...

Well yeah, but that's only because the entire point of Origins was that it was based off of the original games. :P Aside from that sort of thing, though, the slogan has mostly gone to the wayside, because, you know, it really isn't fitting for Pokemon games today. XD

But yes, I agree! Even though catching 'em all isn't something the average player can really take on anymore (I myself also stopped trying in normal gameplay for the most part, save for X in which I took it on as a challenge after beating the normal game (and let me tell you, completing the dex nowadays is insanely rewarding!!)), there's still a ton more to enjoy! It's far from the franchise's main selling point. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.