5. Advanced
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
A picture is worth a thousand words, as is often quoted.
How does the picture below speak to you? Perhaps as a poem? Perhaps a roleplay idea? Maybe a story?
Whatever comes to your mind, write those words down! All is well and welcome, whether a couple of sentences or more!

62ee26591fb98a1b09b39f8a9089ea7c--creepy-drawings-amazing-drawings.jpg

We all have our slots to fill, I'm told. I'm Pongo. When I was alive, I was a particularly bad cat who tormented my owner ceaselessly and merely grinned and scampered off when they begged me to behave. I never dreamed there would be hell to pay.

Then I ate a can of bad tuna in someone else's back yard. Kicked the bucket and now I'm doomed. I could just yowl!

Assigned for next 50 years (or until I work off my bad karma, whichever comes first) to this dopey low-level employee of celestial justice, Avie. Think of her as the person that scoops fries at your local fast food restaurant. And me, the mascot.

Her job? Think of punishments for people--dead people, of course--that wasted their lives seeking thrills and neglected their earthly duties. Of course, they don't call it punishment around here. "Re-education" that's the ticket. Not too much and not too little, depending on the amount of re-education needed.

And I'm stuck being her little companion. Rah.

Her current brainstorm is setting up swings in these tiny islands in the clouds. See, it will be like this huge tree looking like it's about to fall over. The vines holding the seat of the swing secure for a period of time (depending on their sins) and then it breaks, sending the victim hurtling downwards to some horrid end—perhaps a lava pit, or the jaws of the monster.

Nothing too imaginative. Hey, we're talking about Avie, here.

What then? Why, the victim's ethereal body reconstructs and whoop!—rinse and repeat.

The boredom is driving me crazy. Goddess of all felines, save me! I wasn't really that bad a cat, was I? Meow!

That was great! Loved it! :bsmile:

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
A luminescent fairy nearly found itself swiped by a black paw. Thomas was not the sort of cat to make friends with faefolk due to their tendency toward cruel pranks. No good came from making friends with fairies. Thomas hissed at another that dared fly a little too close.

"Thomas, we are guests here. Don't be rude," his trusted companion said from the base of the tree. The bark of the tree groaned as the human climbed across to a swing that was precariously tethered to an gnarled branch.

Thomas' whiskers trembled as he closed his maw and let the fairy be. His eyes grew wide at the humans new antics. "S-Sally! Come back! It's not safe there!" But she stayed as she was, swaying unsafely on the shoddy swing. She spoke to a cluster of fairies in a tone that was hard for him to hear over the clamorous wind. She was risking a lot by putting so much trust into these creatures. 'I should have bonded myself with a kitchen witch,' the cat thought glumly. 'But nooo, I chose a hedgewitch.' The swing wobbled under her feet suddenly and he licked his lips, 'A insane hedgewitch.'

Soon Sally finished speaking with the fairy swarm. She recrossed to the root Thomas was standing on with an innocent smile on her face. "They said we could gather as many leaves as we need. They shed during the winter anyway."

"Oh...goody," the cat replied sarcastically. But not to be outdone by "helpful" fairies, he followed Sally up the side of the tree to the canopy. He paused when his paw got caught in a depression in the wood. He made an annoyed sound and he tried to dislodge his foot. Above he could hear Sally gathering some of the magical leaves. Then the tree shook. The bark around his paw began to squeeze.

Panicked, Thomas pulled as hard as he could until he freed himself, his claws making a sickening scrap across the wood. The force of his pull sent him down the tree's trunk, passed a gaping knothole. He glanced up sharply at the creaking bark above. To his surprise, the knothole began to move.

"Who wakes me?" The question came from deep within the core of the tree.

The fur on Thomas' back raised as he realised the knothole and the crevice that formerly held his paw made a face! Unknown to him there had been an identical hole that formed the face's other eye only a few inches away. "Sally!" he hissed.

"Sally who?" the tree asked in a booming voice.

"Sally, we have to go! Now!" Thomas yelled up the branches. He didn't know what this thing was but he didn't like it.

"What an unfortunate name," the tree replied lazily as if waking from a nap. One of the branches began to move. "My head feels heavy. How long have I been asleep?"

"Oh, I'm sorry!" the little girl said from the boughs. "I was told that your leaves have healing properties and that I could take a few. I guess I didn't ask the right person for permission?"

"It would seem not." The branches shivered lightly. "But seeing as I don't get many visitors and you are already there, I suppose I could let you take a few. On one condition."

If cats could roll their eyes, Thomas would have. There was always a catch when it came to magical beings.

"Sure," Sally agreed a little too quickly.

"I would like to see the people I am helping. When they are better, of course. No one visits the Floating Isles these days, it gets quite lonely."

Sally poured a handful of plant life into a pouch and cinched it. "I think I can arrange that easily. Could have a regular picnic if it suits you."

"That sounds marvelous," the tree replied. It bent slightly as the little witch climbed down its trunk. "And tell them Mrs. Sylvwood wishes them a swift recovery."

((Cutting this short bc I need sleep. lol))

I teeter on the edge. It looks like a cliff, but I know it isn't. The earth is too soft, too steep. My feet sink down into that soft loam, and I know that my weight should be toppling me off into oblivion, into that foggy mire, but I remain rooted.

I look like a tree, but I know I'm not. Ropes of muscle and vein coil together, reaching outwards, beyond the edge of the cliff-thing, over the canopy of mist. Each cord of my being overlaps one another, allowing me to stretch further and further. Many of my arms sit stagnant in the breezeless air.

It looks like I can go on stretching forever, but I know I cannot. I can see my objective, its contours shifting in and out of focus through the fog. Am I close? Far? Near? Is it even there?

It looks like I am going to find out soon. My roots grip less and less at the soft loam, and I teeter further and further above failure. Just another inch, just one more lunge, and perhaps I will have that which I need.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
It was a swing to another world...at least, that's how Jane saw it. Something about it just made her heart beat faster when she looked at it, when she saw the seat dangling over the precipice with fragile consistency. She saw a parallel to her life in that object- indeed, just in its existence. So there had to be something special about it, right?

Sometimes, she would step over to it and stare into the canyon below as she clutched the ropes with white knuckles. Something about it was so thrilling- maybe it was how her toes dangled over that death-dealing gorge, or maybe it was how she was giving her life into the wind's hands and hoping for its mercy.

Jane was sick, after all. The doctors had told her there wasn't much longer for her to live. Her parents didn't like her coming to the swing, even to look at it. They said it wasn't good for her. So she had to sneak out when they weren't around, or when they were distracted...like that day.

So there she was, in her best Sunday dress, standing on the Swing to the Other World, her thin red hair pulled back in a ponytail. She stared out across the canyon to the other side, squinting determinedly through the mist, swinging back and forth furiously. And then she let go, her eyes closed and a small, childish smile on her face. If the swing was really to another world, she had to find out. Besides...

They didn't need to watch her suffer.

Pansy slid down the rope of the swing and stood looking at Purrty. "You naughty Kitty...look what you are making me do!" The cat merely licked her paws without regarding the young girl at all in her normal aloof manner.

Pansy scrunched up her face and wagged a finger at her, "No Purrty..,,you jump over here right this minute or I am ... well I am... " She was what? "Or I will...leave you there forever."

Purrty looked up and let out one soft 'Meow." As if to say, whatever and returned to cleaning her paw.

Pansy stomped her foot on the swing's wooden seat causing a few leaves to fall from the branches above. Suddenly she got an idea. If she could only swing sideways...maybe she'd be able to snatch Purrty from the roots and climb back up to the branch. She started to use her weight to do just that pulling on the ropes in turn to get a good side to side motion going. it didn't take long to get a wide enough swing to reach Purrt, but just when she was about to grab her, the cat jumped away and back up to the safety of the ground above them.

Unfortunately, Pansy was not trapped on the roots where Purrty had been only seconds ago. "Now look what you did! Naughty Kitty!"

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
They had always told her it was an awful, ugly tree, the one that hung over the Flying Cliffs. They said the wood was no good, that it would stomp her out, like the other trees around Everleen Vale. She remembered them telling her that it was old, and awful, and so, so rude. Well, she'd never been one to listen to grown-ups. She'd been walking the edge of the cliffs her whole life, and thus far, she'd not tripped a single time. A nasty oak would do her no harm.

Of course, at first, it tossed mean comments to her. It said some hateful, hateful things, but she didn't care. She just sat there and took them, day after day, asking questions. Eventually, it stopped saying such mean, ugly things, and it began to answer her instead. It told her how the Cliffs came about when a bitter mare was milked by a maid fair and sweet, but so sour was the milk it cut everything away to leave the hunks of floating rock around them. It shared the tale of when the Witch of Waer blasted the cliffs for its diamonds, but when the townspeople chased her off, she spilled them and they became the nightsky. He told her how the trees down in Everleen became so ugly, that at one time they were beautiful, but spiteful, women who were slain by menfolk who couldn't stand them and their backbiting any longer.

And the tree softened to the girl, and the girl drank of its knowledge. Eventually, it began to tell her other things, secret things. Put out a bowl of water on the night of a full moon and throw salt in it when the moon is in it to make a tonic. Wait and listen to the woodpecker tap, and tap back to it so it will show you the future. Bury a knife under your threshold, and no one can enter your home without your permission. All this and more she learned from the old tree, sitting in its shade, as the year progressed. She even put a swing on its branch, playing with the void under her, though the tree always warned her never to swing out too far.

But there was one question the tree wouldn't answer, and that was how it came to be. "You weren't here always," said the girl. "And I won't be always, so what's it matter?" the tree would shoot right back. Then it would drop an apple, and the girl would eat lunch.

As she grew older, the tree taught her more and more, and it always told her that should she ever require it, if she were in danger, she should run to the tree. It would give her aid. The girl had laughed, foolhardy and young. What could ever want to hurt her?

Yet, her knowledge frightened her family and her village. Though she could heal the sick and treated the elderly with wisdom, they feared her great power, of the things she could do with chicken blood, a raven's feather, a yew branch. They began to whisper among themselves, and the girl began to understand why they had warned her away from the wicked tree. One night, a bat alighted under the eave of her house and warned her the people were coming to get her, with rakes and fire and hoes.

So she ran to the tree in the dead of night, under the darkness of a new moon, and she fell upon its roots.

"I don't understand," she wept. "I helped them. I healed their sick. I fed them."

"People fear what they do not understand," the tree chastised, but seeing the enraged village creep closer, the oak commanded, "Climb into the swing and I shall save you, but I can only do this for you one time. Do exactly as I say."

The girl threw herself into the swing, and the tree instructed, "Swing, swing as high as you can."

Just as the townspeople drew upon the tree, it cried, "Jump!" as the girl reached the zenith of her arc.

The girl jumped into the void and, before their eyes, took on the night. Her skin exploded into feathers, colored dark as pitch, and she floated on the midnight breeze, far, far away from the town. The girl had become a crow. The oak withered in that moment, spent, and the townspeople set it alight, and it did not fight back, knowing it had told the girl all it knew.

And that is why, sometimes, if you catch a crow alone, you may hear it talk as a human does. If you do, listen carefully to what it tells you. You never know what it wisdom it may give.