4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Agender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
  5. Primarily Nonbinary
Genres
genre(s): general, fantasy (high or low, modern, urban, or whatever), slice of life, modern, supernatural, paranormal, comedy, romance, mystery, drama, adventure ; dark themes (to add more)

themes: angst/fluff ; slow/fast burn; romance ; platonic ; arrange marriage ; fake dating ; enemies to friends ; enemies to lovers ; college, family, friendship, hurt/comfort, bayside/beach/island, city/urdan, forest, mythology, mythological creatures, friends to lovers, found family ; (to add more)
This is the story I have been working on when I was away for a couple of months. It currently has 3 chapters. Pieces of Realities is about the love story of Noel and Lacie. It explores the relationship of theirs and the trouble they get in and got through. It also show how the Queen Family came to be in Autumn of Life. It's a desperate, tragic, and comedic love story of those two. The setting is in Victorian England, its also in a made up world I created called Zoska, similar to Earth, but moslty different from it.

Sorry for any mistakes, please don't post here, and please enjoy! Thank you!

(Oh! If you would like to comment, please don't do it here, you can comment in my profile or something. Thank you again!)

CHAPTER 1

Noel was at the Victorian mansion. He was sitting on the steps, elbows on his knees and head resting on top of his hands. The man was devastated after getting rejected by Lacie. Actually, her parents rejected him and told him straight up to leave their daughter alone. Noel was dejected and Shadow had given his best to cheer his master up. He played out shadow puppets. The inky creature juggled balls and clubs. He played the violin. He created shadowy figures. But nothing work. Shadow was about to give up until he remembered something that was important to Noel. With that thought in mind, Shadow quickly flew off inside the house, searching for Noel's study room. Noel dig through the drawers, the cabinets, the desk, and bookshelves until he found what he wanted. A golden ring with the words "my beloved Lacie" engraved inside it. Noel had saved a lot of money to buy that ring and had those words carved on it.

Shadow came back outside, the cold air not bothering him at all. He turned his head towards at Noel, who was still staring off into space as he silently mopped about the rejection. Noel glanced up when he felt Shadow poked his shoulders. A dark brow raised as he noticed Shadow was holding onto something.

"What is it, Shadow?"

He muttered into the air, dulled blue eyes staring back at the white snow. Shadow pouted before shoving the ring into Noel's hands. Noel frowned up at Shadow before looking down at the jewelry. His eyes widen when he understood what Shadow was trying to do. His love for Lacie growing stronger than before.

"My Gods, Shadow! You're right!"

Noel declared, standing up as he held out the ring in front of him, letting it shined under the sun.

"If Lacie's parents don't see how much I love her, then they'll witness my love going fully out!"

Shadow clapped his hands as he nodded in agreement, smiling brightly as he watched Noel called for Midnight the horse.

"Let's go! To the ball!"

♤♡♤♡♤

Meanwhile, Lacie was attending a winter ball that her parents forced her to go. She wasn't much of a social person. Her mind was distracted with the thought of Noel and his confessions. Lacie had rejected him sometimes when she didn't believe his words. Other times, she just liked to see Noel come up with other ways to confess to her. But then, her parents had butt it and reject him for her, without her consent. Today was one of those days when her parents declined Noel for the umpteenth time. This time, it was more cruel than before. Lacie remembered the shocked look on Noel when her parents coldly state that he wasn't worth of their daughter's time. It broke her heart. His look reminded her of a kicked puppy.

Her train of thoughts was interrupted when her mother pulled her into the group of business men and their wives. It was always the same with every ball. Her parents mostly came to these events for business. They only care about money and themselves. Lacie curtsied towards the nobles, smiling gently before greeting them. After greeting, Lacie stayed silent, listening to her parents made deals with the other guests. Until they were interrupted by a elderly couple and their oldest son. Lacie frowned a bit before they greeted each other. Her mother questioned the couple on their small quest of looking for a bride for their son.

Lacie noticed the look the 21-years-old man gave as he checked her out. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She doesn't want to be seen as a rude, young lady. Lacie got lost in her thoughts before looking up to see her father shaking hands with the elderly man. She frowned before realizing that her parents made an agreement to set up an arranged marriage. Her violet eyes widen in disbelief. How could her own parents sell her like that?

Lacie knew how her parents were. Giving up anything for money, even their own daughter. It disgusted her. She wanted to cry and yell at them. She refused to marry someone like that man.

Lacie was about to speak up until she heard a loud bang. Heads were turned towards to the noise. Everyone was surprised to see a breathless Noel. They didn't expected him to show. He wasn't even invited to the ball, not like it matter to him.

Noel looked up as he panted softly. He had gotten off of his horse before reaching the mansion that held the ball. He mostly ran to reached the place. His eyes wandered around the large room filled with different higher ups. They widen in joy when he spotted Lacie, who was shocked to see him. Noel ran towards her, dodging anyone who were in his way.

"N-Noel…"

Lacie whispered after said male stood in front of her, the bright smile never leaving his face. A light blush began to bloom across his cheeks as he took out a napkin from his suit.

"Lacie! I have something to giv-"

"What have we told you, you disgraceful being!?"

Noel blinked when he was cut off by the father of Lacie. He took a step back as the older man got between him and his daughter. The mother was glaring at Noel as she took hold of her daughter.

"B-but, sir, I-"

"No! Get out! We told you that Lacie doesn't want to do anything with you and your nonsense!"

The father snapped, glaring daggers at him. Noel frowned, his hand clenching tightly on the napkin. He won't back down without a fight. He came all this way just for Lacie, not to deal with this man. Noel sighed softly as he tried to controlled his anger. His smile becoming force now. He looked at the father right in the eyes.

"Sir,"

He began quietly, eyes never leaving him.

"You're opinion doesn't matter. You're about to marry off your daughter to an unknown man who you barely met. And you're telling me I'm not worth her time?"

Noel stated firmly, the smile turning into a smirk.

"You don't care about your daughter's feelings. You didn't ask her if she wants to marry this man."

He claimed, eyes moving over to Lacie. He gave her a gentle smile before closing his eyes and sighed softly. Lacie had a worried look on her face, biting her lower lip as she watched her father argued with Noel. This always happened whenever those two faced each others. Lacie never wanted this sort of thing happened. Noel wasn't that bad of a person. He just had a broken mind. He can't control what was going on with his life. But at least he can love. Lacie won't admit it to her parents or anyone else, but she had fallen for the anxious man. No other man ever treat her right like Noel did. No man brings her gifts and flowers. No man writes her poems and love letter. No man see her as a person. As a human being. Like Noel does. Lacie glanced over at Noel, her heart beating as she realized how much Noel loved her and what he would do for her. She realized how much she loved him. Despite his broken mind and life, Lacie cared for the man. She doesn't want him to suffer anymore. Lacie frowned before standing in between her father and Noel.

"That's enough! Both of you need to stop this. Father, please leave Noel alone."

She declared, looking at Noel and her father. Her father glared at Lacie. Noel rose a brow as his cheeks warmed up at the sight of Lacie standing up against her father.

"Lacie, get out of the way. You have no say in this matter."

Her father claimed, clenching his fists as he looked at Noel with hatred. Noel frowned at his words, clicking his tongue. Lacie frowned deeper as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"No. I'm not moving and I do have a say in this matter. Noel's right! You and mother don't care about my feelings and opinions on any matter. You never told me if I want to marry that guy! Someone older than me. That's disgusting. How can you do this to your own daughter?"

Lacie breathe out after finishing talking. It was clearly how angry and upset she was with her family. Lacie turned to Noel once she didn't get anything from her parents. A smile graced her face as she took hold of his hands.

"I'm sorry for all this trouble, Noel."

She spoke, looking down at the ground. Noel glazed down at Lacie, his mouth opening and closing as he tried to come up with something to say. He shook his head as he brought her hands to his mouth, kissing her knuckles softly.

"No, don't apologise, please. There's nothing to be sorry about. It's not any of your fault, darling."

Noel reassured, kissing Lacie's forehead. Lacie smiled at Noel before turning back to her parents, who were furious when the actions between them. Lacie smiled at her father as she held Noel's hand, interlinking their fingers.

"Sorry, father, but you can't force me to marry someone. I love Noel and anything you say won't change my mind."

CHAPTER 2

Silence filled up the room. No one was speaking and no music was playing. Only breathing was heard. Lacie's heart was beating loudly that she feared everyone in the ball would hear it. Noel watched with worried eyes. Lacie took a deep breath and before she even spoke a word, her father cut her off with a slap. Everyone in the room being move a muscle. Gasps were heard and whispers began to slowly filled the room. Noel froze when he witnessed his beloved get hit. Anger was crawling on his skin now. Her father was breathing heavily that others are beginning to grow with concern. Lacie didn't react much. She knew standing up against her father was wrong, but she won't let him control her life like this.

"Now, don't you ever talk back to me, young lady! Do you have any idea what your mother and I do for you! Everything we do is for your best and you want to throw it all away just to be with this… this excuse of a man!?"

He yelled, face becoming flushed red. Lacie stared at her father, no anger and sadness showing in her eyes. But what show was determination. She won't give up right now just because this man hit her. Lacie sighed softly before crossing her arms over her chest. She tried not to let the sting feeling bother her.

"What have you ever done for me?"

She asked, eyes never leaving her father. Noel swallowed thickly as he took a step to try to get between them before anything else happen. But he stopped when he saw Lacie shook her head as if she knew what Noel was going to do. Noel frowned before nodding and stepping back, watching once again like everyone in the room. Lacie waited for her father to reply, but she stared that man vomited random words, trying to make a point.

"Don't bother. You never did anything that would be best for me. Everything you did was best for you. You never made me feel part of the family. You always ignore me and whenever there's something you want, you use me as bait."

Lacie tried to keep steady, but she could almost hear her voice break as she spoke and her eyes becoming glossy. Noel frowned more as he listened, feeling his own tears welled up.

"Don't you ever say you did something for me. Y-you never did!"

Lacie shouted, tears already streaming down her face. Everyone in the room glanced at each other before looking back at the scene. They feel their own heart break in pieces upon learning what her father does to her. Noel made his way to Lacie. He stood beside her, letting her finish her rant.

"What father would use his children to get money!? What father would make their children suffer in labor!? Only you!"

Lacie bit her lower lip, trying holding back a sob. She wanted to break down right there. But she still want to stand her ground.

"Don't you ever say Noel is lesser than a man. Because you're the one who's lesser than a man."

She finished, turning to Noel. They stared into each other eyes before pressing their lips together. Noel wrapped his arms around her protectively as her hands gripped into his suit. She was shaking. Noel pulled again and pressed their forehead together. He gave a small smile, Lacie returning it.

"Let's go. You need rest."

He said, taking her hand in his and began to lead the way towards the exit. The guests in the room clapped their hands as they watched the couple leave. Others turned to the parents to see their reactions. Only shock was expressed on their faces.

Noel and Lacie made it outside. He helped her get into the black horse before getting himself on.

"C'mon, Midnight, let's head home."

Noel told the horse as he lightly kicked him. Lacie leaned back against Noel, closing her eyes as she sighed softly. Rest is what she does needs. Though, her eyes opened when she felt something cold slipped on her ring finger on her left hand. She glazed down at the ring before looking at Noel. He only smiled before looking back up. Lacie stared at him before smiling happily, bringing her hands to her chest as they headed home. She hoped this means what it means.

CHAPTER 3

The couple arrived back at the mansion. Midnight stopped in front of the steps that led to the double doors. Noel got off first before helping Lacie get down. Shadow watched from his spot on the ground behind Noel, not revealing himself. The couple quietly made their way towards the manor, getting greeted by the small staff as they walked inside the place after the head butler opened the door for them. Noel sighed softly before turning to Lacie, studying her figure and facial expressions.

"Go take a bath. I'll have one of the servants look for any clothes for you, my dear."

Noel stated, placing his hand on the lower back of Lacie. She gave a short nod before pressing a kiss to one of his cheeks. Noel smiled as he watched Lacie and a maid walked up the stairs. Once they were out of sight, Noel turned to the rest of the staff. He began to gave orders. Noel was planning on making Lacie feel better and feel at home.

Shadow removed himself from the ground once everyone left the main area of the manor. He tapped Noel on the shoulder, grinning happily at him.

"Oh! Shadow, just the friend I needed to see!"

Noel exclaimed, wrapping an arm around the shoulders of Shadow. He tilted his head in curiosity, wondering what Noel wanted.

"Okay, first, I want to thank you for everything. If you weren't here to motivate me and not give up my beloved, I would have suffer. But, thanks to you, Shadow, we're together now."

Noel finished, grinning as he patted his friend's on the shoulders, getting ink all over his hands. If Shadow could cry, the tears would be unnoticeable if they were black like his ink. Noel sighed softly as he ran took off his gloves that were soaked in ink.

"Now, second, I need well thinking of a way to propose to Lacie. Do you think is too early? The ring was a promise ring. Maybe I should wait it out and see how things turn out. But, for a meanwhile, let's come up with a plan."

Noel explained, using hands gestures to show Shadow what he is saying. Shadow only nodded in respond, arms fold over his chest. He shook his head in disagreement.

"No? No what?"

He asked.

Shadow stared at him until Noel realized what he was thinking about. Noel made a 'o' shape with his mouth, nodding in understanding.

"You're right, you're right. It's not too early to propose. What was I think, hahaha! Shadow, you good old boy! Or person?"

Shadow silently laughed at Noel as he unfold his arms. Noel chuckled before looking at him. Both stared at each other before smirking.

A plan came to mind.

Lacie came out of the bathroom, the towel wrapped around her figure as the same maid before helped her dried her hair. Another maid walked in with the new clothes. Lacie thanked them before telling them she'll change herself. They waited outside of the bathroom in her room. Lacie took her time. She hummed to herself as she got dressed. Noel skipped over to her room, Shadow following behind.

"Alright, Shadow, how do I look?"

Noel asked, turned to face the creature. Shadow did a look-over before giving him thumbs up, smiling widely. Noel grinned as he glanced back at the door. He had a bouquet in one of his hands, so he used the free one to knock on the door. Before the door open, Shadow went back to hiding in the darkness of Noel's shadow. A maid opened the door, letting the man walked in.

"Hello! Is Lacie ready?"

He asked, earning a quiet negative respond. Noel nodded as he looked around the room.

"Would you mind telling her I'm here, please."

With a nod, the maid walked back to the bathroom, gently knocking on the door before going in. Noel waited patiently, lightly rocking back and foward on his heels. He looked down on his shadow figure, wondering is Shadow was still there.

"Noel?"

A calm voice spoke, causing said male to turned and grinned at the sight of his lover.

"Lacie!"

He exclaimed, walking over to her. He studied her before hugging her figure, being careful with the flowers.

"Sweetheart, hello, are you okay now?"

He asked, pulling away. Lacie smiled and gave a nod, her eyes glancing down at the bouquet.

"Yes, I'm okay now. Is there anything you need?"

She asked, raising a brow at the flowers. Noel shook his head and handed her the flowers.

"They're your favorite… right?"

He asked, pointing at the lilies. Lacie giggled as she nodded, studying the flowers in her hands.

"Yes, they are."

"I'm glad. I have something to say, Lacie,"

Noel started, rubbing his hands as he became nervous. Lacie titled her head in confusion, trying to think what was going on. Noel coughed to clear his throat before continuing.

"I-I want to s-say that, um, that-that i-if you want to, huh, to, um, go-go- nevermind! I'll let y-you rest!"

Noel panicked, chuckling before quickly pressing a kiss on her forehead and walked out of the bedroom before she can say anything. Noel panted when he was out of earshot, escaping to the garden. Shadow reappeared out of the ground, angrily making wild gestures with his arms at him. Noel only shrugged his shoulders as he tried to make up an excuse.

"Noel."

Said man stopped and turned towards the new voice. Shadow looked over as well, curious to know who it is.