Pegulis, Chapter 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the island ...

Some time ago, between leaving Raige stranded and making his way back to the camp, Jodirn found a small, isolated patch of the island, hidden from the wind and the moon by the bush. He knelt down on the dirt and reverently held the small dagger in both hands. In a short amount of time he had cleared a man-sized patch of dirt from the island. Setting the knife down, he brushed the final layer of hardened sea dust and detritus away with his hand to expose the white, the pure, the unblemished white bone beneath.

He stripped and laid against the bone.

The body of the God.

So he could touch it .. so he could be closer to god ..

He used the knife to peel the skin away from his stomach, and laid against god, tried, tried his best to mingle his red essence with god ..

A short time later, Jodirn stood up, carefully bandaging the wound around his stomach, putting his clothes and armour on, adjusting the darkly died and thick linen over his abdomen, and walked back to camp, leaving behind a perfect rectangle with a smeared, running red spot in the middle.

The Second Sun - Gathering the Party, #1048cb

A week had passed since the storm's wrath had fallen upon Barvelle that had summoned deadly spectres that Vrein had boldly taken on at the cost of his hand, now fused with the pendant that he made for Eirenne into a crystalized form. That by some unexplainable magical bullshit miracle was able to use his hand.

Kyra's church had called it a gift from the gods, Vrein called it another headache.

For the first three sunrises Vrein spent his days starring up at the rose decorated ceiling that he was beginning to loathe the sight of, once again prisoner to Kyra's church and her quacks. Not much different to the week he had arrived the days grew long and uneventful save from Ilsa's more than pleasant visits and Castagarian, whose news almost gave him a headache.

"You don't actually think I'd just let you go alone," Vrein scoffed sitting in an upright position.

"Dun' be a damn fool o' course ah dunnae think tha', Ah wunnae be tellin' yer otherwise," the giant retorted smiling down at Vrein on the bed who glared up at him in defiance, the tavarkian laid a giant hand against the smith's shoulder "yer may b' a dam fool but yer got a 'eart o' gold and kno' more about ore than anybody I know or trust 'ere, come with me."

Furrowing his brow the smith nodded deep in thought as his eyes gazed down toward his crystal hand "I've got a lot of work to do then and fast," a smirk danced across the features of his freshly shaven face "I'll finish up by the end of the week and prepare my things."

"I dunnae wan' t' be puttin' pressure-" Catagarian began

"I can take it."

A moment of odd silence passed between the two men as Castagarian twiddled his thumbs, Vrein still starring at his crystal hand.

"So how many-"

"Jus' a couple o' us, not many,"

A look of surprised crossed Vreins features at the interruption, it was as if the man expected the question "Have you asked Ilsa?" he asked with a gleam in his eye.

Castagarian gravely shook his head "Nae, Ilsa 'as been busy these past tu days, I dunnae think she'll be able t' join"

A look of disappointment entered the smiths face "I know another hunter in the city that I trust, If we need more…"

The giant nodded slowly, rising to leave "Aye, a coupl' o' comrades wo' b' so bad. Bring those ye can trust, Vrein 'cause by all tha is in sunne we ahr gunnae be needin' it."

Left with a head full of questions and rapid thoughts of work and urgent tasks Vrein stared back up at the rose ceiling, growing more and more impatient.

The Fourth Sun - Strange Liasons, #1048cb
Shirtless and clutching a thermic gem that had been kindly gifted to him by Kyra, Vrein wandered the bustling streets of the Barvelle markets looking for someone to repair his fur lined ceremonial tunic when he came across a small wagon full of furs. Casually wandering closer his eyes scanned across the neatly laid out leather jerkins, bracers, tunics and flasks until his gaze finally settled upon an exotic looking anthro, the one from the gardens.

Surprised that she would be here Vrein shot the girl a nervous smile briefly looking between his tunic and the anthro "You think you can fix this for me?"

"You've left her in real shambles, but I'll see what I can do," Blythe replied scrounging through the pile of furs and raising her head, narrowing her eyes at the clad stranger "Leather like this is thick and should not tear easily" she was impressed by the size of the holes "How on earth did you manage this?"

"Magic," Vrein retorted sarcastically.

Puzzled by the stranger's comment she gave him a slow and uncertain nod as she returned to searching through her furs. "I've an incomplete bear pelt, but with the right stitching the holes should be concealed properly," she finally concluded, taking the tunic from Vrein she looked it over again shaking her head.

"It was given to me by the Ursani, a tribe of polar bear anima that took me in when I had nothing. It is a gift from their tribe given to the children in their trial of passage. If an Ursani cub does not succeed the right of passage then the tunic is cast aside, the cub is exiled and is forced to find their way through the world or die for they are not strong enough to survive the harsh winter."

Vrein fondly touched the soft fabric in Blythe's hands his eyes thick with tender nostalgia as he remembered his time with the Ursani "It can only be fixed with fpolar bear fur. The cub who wears this tunic is carrying the future of the Ursani on their shoulders, a symbol to remember the lessons that or ancestors taught us, to be better than them and to use the last thing that they had left us; their warmth."

Blythe's scrupulous stare was met by the fiercely sincere eyes of Vrein. Her shoulders relaxed and a small sigh escaped her lips as she began digging deeper and deeper into her large pile of furs. Her fingers carefully loosed a coarse white pelt from the bottom of the pile.

"The pelt alone costs a great deal. Your story is touching, but it won't pay my passage back to Tavark. I'll fix your fur for a fair trade."

"Name your price."

Back and forth the two discussed their trades in length, bartering and haggling their wares until they finally came to an agreement.

"I'll repair it for you when you can produce payment,"

As expected, with all the work Vrein had to do it'd take a couple of days at least.

"You said you were going to Tavark?"

"I did."

"A couple of friends and I are heading that way in a couple of days if you want to come along," Sort of anyway, the truth being he didn't have time to wait for the woman to repair it.

"Sure," she agreed, slightly surprised.

"I'll let them know,"

With that, the smith began wandering the market again in search of rare gems.

The Seventh Sun - Heart of the forge, #1048cb

From the pit of a molten fire the cores of rock and ore danced around the edges of the fool's bowl, swirling around as they slowly began to merge into one another, to create a terrifying substance. Like a waterfall of lava the thick liquid poured out into the finely decorated meld, inscribed exotic patterns in the sides of axes, spears and swords to edge the liquid crystal inside of the cracks.

For hours and hours on end the smith's hammer fell upon the anvil; melding, melting, shaping, sharpening and refining. Working arduously to complete his part in the fortification of the city; only occasionally stopping to consume the refreshments that Oberik's family occasionally left out for him, sleep or speak to the carpenter who worked closely alongside him to create the ballista.

Like jolts of lightning coursing through his body Vrein struggled against the pain of his crystal hand, slowly getting easier but causing him to be slower than usual. Only enabling him to make a dozen good weapons a few ballistas, an amethyst pendant; carved into a symbol that he had remember from his days with the Ursani, a symbol of peace and prosperity.

The Smith's evenings spent on a more delicate project that was personal to him, that not even the concern of Castagarian could drive him away from. In the center of the obscure object lay an oddly crafted hunk of moonstone over it a layer of ruby colourfully mixed with clear quartz that was encased with a layer of garnet and coated with small intricate blue lines of aqua aura that he had filled with half of the faint glowing blue crystal flask, given to him by the Ursani shaman if you ever lose your way, drink this and your ancestors will be with you.
The Crystal Sung...

Remember me when you feel unsafe,

Even from afar I support you every day,

My feelings are yours and yours alone,

I will show you the truth about something you do not know,

My spirit can guide you through times of woe.

Fatigue began to creep it's through his body, hammer steadily slowing steadily itself Vrein was leading himself back on a path of self-destruction. Despite Oberik's attempt to feed the man savoury and sugar filled food, the old dwarf like man looked upon the young lad with kind eyes, there was nothing in the world that could separate the young man from the work he loved but this did not comfort him as the family watched the boy slowly destroy himself doing whatever they could to help him. Even Merissa couldn't talk any sense to him.

Oberik had tried talking to Vrein, trying to convince him to take a break or at least eat dinner with them but would always be politely declined. Pushed to his last hope of trying to keep Vrein from his work aside from refusing to let the poor boy use the forge he thought he might test the obvious affection between the young Smith and the Captain of the Aldus Watch.
"Cap'n Ilsa!" Oberik called over to Ilsa, running as fast as his small legs could carry him "Ah b' needin' yer, yer bloomin' lover boi is werkin' tu hard, gonnae make 'im sick."

Stopping adruptly in front of Ilsa, Oberik stood wide-eyed at the company that the lady kept "Bloomin' 'eck, yer must b' one o' those big shots, mah Apologies ma'am." The dwarf man's eyes wandered Ilsa up and down "'ow the 'eck did tha' bleedin' idiot get a lass laik yu?"

Tavark, Red
An Old Hunter

tumblr_ltlcdgPJfN1qjbyi1o1_500.png

She was currently a Master sergeant in the Aldus watch, an honorary rank for a retiree, really, for she had done nothing significant with the watch to earn it. Many years ago, she was a private in the Tavark military before she was unceremoniously yanked out. She had commanded no man in battle since then, fought few of Tavark's enemies and spent even less days there, and her number of kills -true kills- could be counted on both hands. Her military record of 45 years, on paper, was spotty, mediocre, and uneventful; beneath unexceptional.

But when the great doors opened and tiny, old Aimee walked in, the crowd - of burly men, of seasoned warriors, of Pegulis's greatest killers - stopped gorging, hushed, then went silent.

Because she didn't have a record.

She had songs.

They conjured up a different image, a different person, but she had songs and they knew it. Their wives knew it. The children first hear the old folklore sucking at the breast, and their children, and their children after. So it goes.

And so she goes, and so they parted for her.

Respect? No. It was there, but it wasn't the main thing. Jarrik commanded respect. He owned himself, and he owned every battle he won. Nobody got to be general without playing politics, but if anyone was keeping score? He came the closest in terms of sheer merit. Eimund had respect too, in the time before the island, and what they felt for Aimee was what many bore Eimund after his return.

They feared her. They feared her as they feared the ghost of Eimund Rath. They feared the specter who returned from the drowned god's tentacles, who took Tavark and made it his bitch. They feared the madness in him, and the madness that came with his squire turned sorcerer. They feared him because he was mad enough to attempt to tame a frostwyrm of the high north.

They feared her because she could kill one alone.

None touched her save the sage, who exchanged a brief but strong armgrip and a nod. She saw faces as she passed by, little Lyron who might have avoided her eyes, Rayleigh who met them with undisguised hate that didn't quite hide the what-the-fuck-is-she-doing-here. Oh, how long had she been away? How long had she spurned the hunter's world for life at the wall? They were alien to her, and the walk felt longer for it, but finally, she reached the center of the hall.

And they knew her as arbiter of the vote, and they knew as a snake spewing venom.

"He didn't like me much at the end." she said, her voice hoarse and grim. "I didn't like him a long time before that. But he was a strong, honorable man, and I will drink to that when the mourning starts. But Tavark is without a general, and we will not put the dead before the living! We will vote now, and we will vote fast, so that I may be more quickly on my fuckin' way. We shall keep this brief. Sage Farris! The fuckin' candidates please."

There were murmurs, but none disputed it.

"First Captain Lyro-"

"He's a circumvecular pollywobbler." she said, matter-of-factly and without heat. "A tree hugger who pissed his pants till he was 3. He fell off a slope once and sang like a bitch in heat till they saved him from the puddle beneath."

Laughter. Finally, laughter. A roast was not uncommon before Tavarkian elections, but some took it a little too far. Lyron turned red.

"And Third captain Rayleigh Jarr-"

"She's a circumvecular pollywobbler too. She has her father's spear, but it was I who taught her to hold it right. She never had much talent for it though, and the sages of Barvelle now know a just, caring god exists, for the useless lass lives yet on the battlefield. Always with the horses. I prayed everyday that she not come to my lessons neighing. Hell, I prayed everyday she not come at all."

More laughter. Jarriksdotter pegged her with a glare that would have melted the wall.

"And these circumvecular pollywobblers now come before us and claimed they have slew the Great Eimund Rath, a man who fights with the ferocity of 10 bears. Pantspisser Lyron has the audacity to style himself as the hero of Tavark. I'm afraid the 87 -is it 87?-" The sage nodded. "87 men must have drowned in the puddle he left behind him, for he won this alone! He must have struck Eimund Rath dead with the sight of his dripping manhood, though the man must have spent some time squinting before finding it! But that's not what I hear. I hear circumvecular pollywobbler number 2 laid him low with a spear, then brayed and started pawing him to death with her hooves. Our late captain blackclaw pulled her off, for even he could not bear this animal."

She paused for a moment amidst the laughter. Perhaps some venom had caught in her throat.

"I say this now: we have a loser's decision to make. Will we vote for the horsefucker or the puddlemaker? Will we entrust our lives to one who has lain with the ponies till their friendship sparks magic? Or will we let the water mage of the yellow snow sweep us into a new, triumphant age. We have listed their faults, but we know what few merits they have! Who do we choose? Her mother would have condemned the horsefucker," she stopped, she caught Rayleigh's eyes. Whether the death glare had ceased and emerged again, or it was there since the last, she could not tell. "And my dead husband would not have wanted it for her. BUT I VOTE FOR REYLEIGH JARRIKSDOTTER. THOSE IN AGREEMENT? RAGE."

Last edited by a moderator:
The Island, gold
The night dragged on as Darin silently mourned the passing of his squire and friend. Tears were not shed, but his heart was my definitely broken at the thought of failing yet another person that relied on him. He should have kept Raige at the base camp. There were plenty others who could have gone hunting. Raige was far too important to him...to the task at hand. Without Raige, Darin couldn't...he couldn't...he couldn't carry out god's plan.

When the morning came, Darin was the first up and he began to personally awaken the soldiers who would be accompanying him. Among them Judirn, because the hunter knew where Raige had fallen. Gom had volunteered, waking up shortly after Darin had. The Paladin donned his gear, the seven other men behind him and headed toward the jungle edge just as Raige stumbled out.

Darin's eyes moved swiftly to Jodirn upon Raige's words and Darin gave the word. Gom arrested Jodirn. Jodirn began to rant on about god. When someone subdued him by punching him in the stomach, Jodirn let out a cry of pain that was unnecessarily overdone. Darin's brow narrowed as he approached him, the blood from his stomach began to soak his shirt.

"Lift his shirt," he pointed and Gom lifted it. Darin's eyes studied the wound. He sighed before he looked at Gom, "Contain him on the ship. Raige," he turned to his friend and quickly embraced him, "I'm glad you're okay. I wanted to look for you tomorrow but I was convinced by others to wait till morning. We were about to leave," Darin gestured to his armor, then embraced his friend, "Come, help me understand what happened. Jodirn said you were dead."

Darin smiled widely. Raige was alive, that meant that all hope was not lost. That meant that the power of god could still be his. He could bring Selphia back.

• Love
Reactions: unanun and Wolfsin
Ambassador Nuria - The Treaty, #CDE472

Descending upon the Aldus gates Nuria casually walked toward them. Thanks to the lack of men, the gat was only blocked by the single guard, a young boy. You and stupid no doubt assigned with a hopeless duty to block and oncoming threats that entered the city.

"Halt, who goes there?" the kid attempted to copy his elders, cute.

"Ambassador Nuria of Viridos, I have come to speak with your leader." She order, the boy looking wide eyed.

"You're one of them Avian folk we was attackin' earlier. Get lost!"

A soft smile crossed Nuria's face "Be careful what you say child, if any of your people lay a finger on me you will have started a war with all of Viridos. Do you understand?"

The child nodded gravely, shrinking back into his armour like a frightened five year old "Good, now take me to your leader."

Reluctantly the boy abandoned his post, leading the Avian through the town "D-Don't shoot!" he called out to the other who gave the young lad cold hard stares. A raging voice was suddenly heard from around the corner "Why have all you idiots sto-" a woman appeared all of a sudden, shooting Nuria a disdainful look "What the fuck are you doing,kid? Who is this?"

"Sh-she s-said th-that if we t-touch her, that w-war" the boy stammered and gulped obviously frightened of his captain.

Looking down toward the child briefly it's okay she mouthed down to him, smiling then averting her eyes back toward the Lieutenant and bowing gracefully "I am Ambassador Nuria Venrali of Viridos, I have come in the hope of an allegiance."

Shocked by the notion the Lieutenant starred in disbelief but nodded, wishing that Ilsa were here; she'd know how to deal with this, properly "That's not my call, I'll take you to the mayor." albeit begrudgingly, the woman agreed, glaring toward the boy "We'll speak later" she commented toward the boy briefly then signalled Nuria to follow her, the perplexed guards returning to their duties.

"Mayor!"

"What now?"

"Ambassador Nuria, of Viridos here to see you,"

The mayor scoffed at the title, Ambassador? What in the three nations was an ambassador doing in the middle of Aldus "Let them in!" he called out. The Avian's arrival suddenly became more of a headache than he thought.

"Return to your duties, Marin" he ordered her away, aware that he had little men as it was and that they would be needing their... Captain. Ilsa, where are you when I need you?

"Thank you," Nuria's painted smile radiated toward the Mayor "It is good you finally agreed to negotiate mayor, after all I am counting many losses on my side," her pale green eyes wandered across to a picture of a family on his wall, the man resembling features of the mayor "Is that your family?"

Alarmed by the woman, the Mayor looked toward the picture momentarily and considered taking it down "What do you want?"

Tapping her fingers on the wooden desk Nuria slowly lifted her body onto the desk leaning suggestively in toward the mayor "You look like you're in a spot of trouble," she playfully trailed her finger down his soft pink, human lips "Shhh, it's okay. I am too, let's come to an arrangement."

"Arrangement?" the woman's forward nature caught the mayor off-guard and was making him nervous.

"Let me help you mayor," she rested her hand on the side of his face, pale hues searching into his soul "I will gather the warriors of the Avians and we will fight together"

Nervous now the mayor knew she was right, that they couldn't survive this on their own. Not with another convoy leaving and the hundreds of men he had lost.

"What do you want in return?"the mayor's breathing was beginning to grow heavier, his confused eyes wandering Nuria's body.

Ah, the fun part "All we ask is that you provide us with food, shelter, warmth and safe passage. Let us have a temporary alliance, so both of our people may live."

"We don't have the-"

Nuria's hand hastily returned to his lips, stroking the other gently through his hair "Hush now mayor, once recovered my people will help you with your supplies and you will continue to honour our allegiance."

Like the light of a god-sent messenger the faded aura around her shone vibrantly, her aux coursing through her body and making a suggestion "You know agreeing with me is the right thing to do for your people, for your city."

Biting his lip, the mayor nodded slowly in agreement. Not only was she cunning, the woman was a tease but she was also right.

Taking a pen the Avian took a piece of parchment from his desk, hastily writing up a contract.

The Avians of Viridos agree that upon being provided shelter, food, water, warmth and safe passage that we shall not seek to harm anyone in Aldus and in return will help defend the city of Aldus and its people from its oncoming dangers, to rebuild and resupply.

All Avians under this agreement will not be abused, cage or harmed; if under this agreement any Pegulian or Avian is harmed a court will be held that will require sufficient evidence as proof of their crime.

If any Pegulian or Avian is to die from the hand of one another while under the protection of this agreement this, this agreement will be broken.

Signed: Nuria, Ambassador of Viridos
The mayor read through the agreement, considering it for a moment longer before signing.

Signed: Valekis, Mayor of Aldus
Nuria made another exact copy and had the Mayor sign again, keeping on for herself.

Victory

Sliding off from the desk Nuria turned with a wicked grin "We've got work to do boys and girls."

Azareth — The Council Disputes
Azareth stood, watching as the members of the council convened in the Mayor's chambers to discuss his recent treaty with the Avians. Councilwoman Velma paced about, hands massaging her temples as Councilman Cale leaned with his palms flat against the Mayor's desk. The other council members stood nearby, arms folded across their chests.

Across from him in the chair, the Mayor sat with his elbows against the wood of the table, forehead resting on his clasped hands.

"You just signed it?!" Councilman Cale chastised. "You didn't even think to consult the rest of the Council on a matter concerning the safety of the entire city, and just went ahead and signed it?!"

Mayor Valeckis closed his eyes and heaved a sigh. "It's for the good of Aldus. The storm left scores dead. Damage has been wrought on the city. A tower along the city wall just vaporized. We are shorthanded from the men who died in Ilsa's expedition and the storm certainly didn't do us any favors in that regard. Making peace with the Avians means we have some more able bodies to help rebuild."

"It also means more mouths to feed and more bodies to provide shelter--"

Mayor Valeckis pounded his now clenched fists against his table, interrupting Cale. "DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO GOVERN MY CITY!" He roared.

Silence filled the room, accompanied only by the echo of Valeckis' voice as all eyes in the room turned to the Mayor in shock at his uncharacteristic behavior. Behind the veneer of his mask, Azareth smirked. His Touch of Madness was finally beginning to take hold. The people were frightened and afraid, first by the Avians, then by the storm. It was a perfect catalyst.

The Mayor had always kept his intentions for the good of the people; for him to claim the city as his own was unusual. The two other councilmen broke the silence. "Your city?!"

"The council serves the city, Valeckis! Not the other way around!"

Councilwoman Velma stormed to the table, anger alight in her eyes as well. "No good will come of us making peace with these Avians! THINK, Valeckis! The Aviary is like a ship. Its most admirable crew are the ones who fight for it even as it sinks, the ones who never abandon their posts! We've gotten naught but the worst of them! The only ones we might possibly want are the ones who died with it!"

Velma lurched forward, both hands grabbing the treaty that had been signed by both the Viridosi Ambassador and the Mayor, tearing the document to shreds. At this, Mayor Valeckis practically leapt out of his chair, leaning across the table and shoving the councilwoman back. It was too late; the damage had already been done. As Councilwoman Velma fell off her balance, tatters of what remained of the peace treaty floated to the floor.

Cale practically screamed at the others as he tried to keep the Mayor away from Velma. "Have you all gone mad?!" They froze as silence filled the room once more.

Azareth's smirk widened at the truth of that metaphor.

Almost as if shaken from a spell, the Mayor loosened his clenched fists as he stared down at his palms. "Ex... excuse me. You're right, Councilman Cale. I... I don't know what got into me." He walked over from behind the table, helping the fallen Councilwoman back onto her feet.

Velma sighed as she dusted herself off. "The past several weeks have been trying; they have taken a toll on us all. Let us adjourn and reconvene at a later time."

"What of the treaty?" Their eyes turned to the scraps of the document on the ground.

"Ambassador Nuria has a second copy for her records. It will be alright."

The tension eased, if only slightly. The Council's distrust towards the Avians hung almost tangibly in the air.

"Tell the town criers to announce the treaty, but make sure the Watch stays vigilant in case the Avians try to do anything suspicious." The councilmen nodded in agreement.

"If only Ilsa were here to manage the Watch. Marin has done a wonderfully poor job thus far."

This comment gave one of the councilmen pause. "Wait." Councilman Breifus lifted a hand to denote a stop as he thought.

"Ilsa left, taking with her the city's most physically able. The very night before, our horses were slaughtered." Breifus looked each council member in the eyes as he continued. "She led them to their deaths. Only after she was gone and we were defenseless did the Avians arrive, the storm strike, and..." He swallowed. "Did the Ghoul Sage appear."

Cale eyed him with caution. "Choose your next words very carefully, Breifus."

Breifus took several long moments as he considered the weight of his statement. "Have we been betrayed?"

Behind his cloth mask, Azareth smiled.

Last edited:
Eydis - Barvelle, #3B3178

Backing away and hurrying down another corridor the Anthro girl oriented herself towards where she thought the forge was. Her chest felt like a basket of angry cats. She wasn't ready to meet him yet after everything, and yet here she was heading towards his whereabouts as fast as she could. On a whim the girl pulled up the hood on her coat. Even though she felt warmer than usual. In fact some people she passed seemed to react to the heat too.

She didn't pay it more thought when she noticed the place she was looking for. Slowing down to a halt near the door unsure whether to enter or not, the sound from the blacksmith being used could be heard from inside. And so with her ears flat against her head the Anthro girl opened the door and stepped inside. "Vrein?" She walked further in fidgeting with her fingers. He seemed deeply concentrated on his work. Hesitantly she reached out and tapped his shoulder. "Hey, Vrein?"

She barely noticed a change in his posture as he worked. "What? I'm busy."

That was the usual him. Taking a deep breath Eydis tried to relax. "Yeah I heard, busy overworking yourself." He continued his work and Eydis crossed her arms "Like usual being a thick head too. ... Considering the things that happened to you the last couple of weeks perhaps you should take it easy."

Vrein grunted, rolling his eyes in annoyance and carried on working.

Eydis could feel her own anger boil as he gave her the silent treatment. "So you are just going to work till you drop on the spot, is that it?

"I'm fine." He replied shortly.

"Ha! Yeah, fine after running around almost getting yourself killed three times, making out with that damn woman and turning your hand to crysta! I'd say it's a wonder you are standing up!"

"Damn woman?" Vrein shot Eydis a raised eyebrow, ignoring the rest of her blabbering bullshit. "Ilsa? What issue have you got with her?"

Not realizing where it was going she blurted, "You were making out." and then instantly realized what she was saying. "Never mind that's not why Im here," studying other things in the room avoiding to look at him. Eydis mentally retreated. "You are working too hard and it's making people worried. So I came to ask you should rest."

"We were." Taking up the prongs, Vrein picked up half a piece of metal filigree beginning to shape it into intricate little patterns, too busy to notice the girl's flustered behavior. "I'll rest when I'm done."

He said it like the most natural thing in the world. "Yeah?" She started with a shivering voice. "You were" Suddenly the heat started to increase in the room, the fire burning with more intensity.

"I bet it was nice with the sunset and the view." She clenched her fists. After I slept next to you naked. After I curled my body against yours. After you walked away like nothing happened.

The water started to boil in the tempering bucket and oblivious to it except the sudden heat was Eydis blinking away tears. And he was just going about his business. Damn idiot! "Fine! If you are so dumb you will go on till you drop, and I hope you hit your head on the way down, not that it will affect that thick head of yours!!"

(Dialogue collab with @Aira Reinhart and @Silvir)
Ilsa Lisbon — Barvelle, Indigo
ilvrey_zpsa574e1cd.jpg
Oberik caught Ilsa just as she was leaving the company of the three Sages. Nodding to the portly old man, Ilsa excused herself from her conversation with the Barvelle Sages before turning to respond to Oberik. "I will check on him," she assured, heading off towards the smithy.

As Ilsa entered the workshop, her eyes fell upon Eydis and Vrein, who had already fallen silent. With no idea about their previous disagreement, she walked around the counter, giving Eydis a polite nod in greeting without even noticing her cold stare. "Good evening," Ilsa whispered to her, before approaching the forge. She gently laid a hand on Vrein's shoulder while he worked, her voice calm but loud enough to be heard over the fires. "Vrein, I'm worried about you. You've been by the forge every day for hours on end. Don't overwork yourself."

Vrein welcomed her touch, turning to face her as he finished with the gift he had been working on. At the same time, he nonchalantly slid it beneath some cloth rags to hide it. "I'm done," he replied with a rare smile up at Ilsa. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

The fires of the forge flared up restlessly as Eydis snapped at Vrein. "Oh, so you stop when she asks, but not me!"

The comment induced puzzled looks towards Eydis from both the blacksmith and the guard captain. Vrein cast a brief, worried glance towards Ilsa before refocusing on the flustered anthro girl before them. "What's gotten into you today?"

Eydis stamped a foot angrily into the floors, her hands clenched into fists and arms tensed at her sides. "Me!? This isn't about me! Why is it always like this with you!?"

Ilsa watched the interaction curiously, trying to understand Eydis' reactions. The captain glanced between the two of them, hesitating before breaking the silence. "Is something the matter?" The question was genuine, but was met only with Eydis' fiery glare, tears gleaming on the corners of her eyes. The three of them remained in uncomfortable silence. Eydis wanted to say something, anything, but was at the same time speechless.

Not fully understanding that particular situation between Vrein and Eydis, Ilsa turned her attention back to her blacksmith, pulling lightly at his shoulder to indicate that they should go. "Let's go, Vrein. You should rest." Receptive to her suggestion, the blacksmith stood, though his concerned hazel hues remained on Eydis.

Eydis, now visibly upset, leaned forward in disbelief, shouting at the couple. "You just don't get it!" The fires in the forge roared again with her flash of anger, their heat licking at Ilsa's plate armor and at Vrein's unclothed torso. Neither of them seemed to notice.

Perplexed, Vrein shook his head. "You're right, I don't..."

Eydis let off an exasperated groan before pivoting on her heel and fleeing out the front door, which swung open in her wake. Oberik, who was just on his way back in, closed the door behind him before looking towards Ilsa and Vrein. "Wha' wos tha' all 'bout?"

Vrein groaned, leaning against Ilsa as he slid his arm around her armored waist. The smith shook his head in confusion before giving in to his exhaustion and resting his head on the pauldron upon Ilsa's shoulder with a laugh. "No idea, Oberik. Your guess is as good as ours."

Oberik nodded as he lifted his shoulders in a shrug. "Aye. Wull, 'tis good t'see yer at least takin' a break. Ah knu tha' if anyone'd pull ye 'way from your work, t'd be yer ladyfriend!" The group shared a mutual laugh, and Ilsa and Vrein were grateful for the lift in spirits. "Ach," Oberik commented, waving both hands dismissively. "Ah'll leav' t'two o' ye lovebirds t'yerselves." With a nod and a smile, the friendly stout fellow walked off to his quarters.

As he left, the two lovers embraced. Vrein released a sigh as he tried to relax, gently nuzzling Ilsa's cheek before pulling back a bit. He eyed her chestplate. "Your armor is too damn cold."

Ilsa chuckled, motioning with a nod of her head towards the front door. "Well, let's go back so you can help me out of it, hm?"

Vrein smirked. "Gladly."

Last edited:
"I'm not sure I follow." Ethelwen and Arktus continued on their walk through the city, their sandals softly plodding across the cool stone floor.

"Curiosity is how we fill the hole of ignorance." Arktus gestured excitedly as they neared a fungus farm. "If you do not know about anything, all you have to do is ask, why? Why does ice, frozen water, float on the surface of water when everything else sinks to the bottom? Why am I able to create things that amount to Ilium's miracles with a certain arrangement of inscriptions and runes in a spell circle? Asking why opens your mind to the possibility of finding out the deeper, universal truth that lies beneath everything. That's what an alchemist devotes their life to, to uncovering the Allsource, the material from which everything else is derived."

"And scholars?"

"We all have our own fundamentals that we want to uncover." They passed by a young marine biologist arguing hotly with a priest. "Whether it is what underpins our nature, the Allsource ... or god."

"But!"
He wagged his finger firmly at Ethelwen, such an uncharacteristic gesture causing the young anima's ears to wince. "That is why you must temper your curiosity with skepticism. If you ask why and receive an answer, you ask why again. What are your assumptions? Where is your proof? How did you gather your proof?" Arktus' marmot dived in and out of his hanfu.

Ethelwen tried to smooth the folds of his cloak aux and only smoothed his fur. It was hard for him to accept that he would have time to think about this the next day in the sewage pits. They had been traveling away from the center of Barvelle for a while, and the tunnel ended in a large cave. The floor had been pulverized and mixed with choice parts of the sewage to form a rudimentary soil. Weak looking leaves poked out under the diffuse light, piped from the outside via long snaking vents filled with reflecting crystal. It would take a while for the tubers to be ready for harvest.

The next, much darker room over held something only Barvelle could conjure: rotting logs out of which sprouted a forest of fungus. The fungus was mixed in large pieces with fermented meat; seabirds and small animals stuffed in the giant carcass of a Kaikas seal and burried in the ground for months. The stew would have made a seasoned Kresnick drinker retch, but to Arktus and Ethelwen it was home.

They ate their meal in silence.

"Arktus ..."

"Why was Ilsa going into the tavern with the blacksmith?" Arktus gulped loudly and gave Ethelwen an interesting expression. "Why can't she just go into any of the sleeping caves?" Was the anima aware of what he was saying?

"She ..." The Calm Sage rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"She is free to spend her leisure time any way she wishes." Helena plopped down next to the pair of them, groaning and digging into her stew. Training the Barvelle watch was taking its toll on her patience and wakefulness. "Also, people from Aldus are queer." She cocked an eyebrow. "Take Michel, for instance ... been here for thirty winters and still can't shake the Aldus." Arktus tapped his spoon on the wooden bowl, the closest he would get to elbowing the Fierce Sage.

Ethelwen shifted. He wanted to ask about Sage Helena's efforts. He wanted to know about what she was teaching them. But he could not risk his still tentative friendship with Arktus over something that could have been perceived as rude, so he glanced instead at the string of ceramic coins in Arktus' sleeve, tightly bound to prevent their jangling. "Is she unsatisfied with the food and lodging?"

Arktus shrugged. "Some of us are satisfied with what Barvelle provides as a right to any Pegulis citizen: food, shelter, and teaching. But the General Assembly acknowledged that there are those in Pegulis who may desire more. So we created a common system by which people can exchange services for luxury."

"The coin."

"Exactly. The General Assembly guarantees to anyone possessing a coin that it is worth a standard amount."

"Was it always like this?"

Arktus shook his head and took another mouthful of the cold meat-fungus mix. "No. Back when Barvelle was just a settlement, things were different."

"Barfelle has chanffed a loft in ferty years, right, Arktoos?"

The Calm Sage pushed his plate of stew forward. "Helena is an excellent storyteller, but perhaps you will entertain my rather bland version of the tale while she finishes chewing."

Helena's aux, the snow owl Mimet, eyed Arktus' marmot with an unreadable expression.

[dash=grey]
A lonely village
The morning hunt.

White mist barely snaking out of a pair of nostrils.

He packed snow around lips, ignoring the chill so that he could hide the mist of his breath. This technique was only for closing the last hundred footsteps to his prey. For the next hour, he took it step, step by slow step, delicately sinking his moccasined feet into the crunchy tundra, stalking his prey as it grazed on the sparse, coarse grass.

An entire morning, just to loose one arrow. The shaft whistled through the air and landed true in the elk's neck. The hunter stood and flexed his shoulder, working out the stiffness.

"Wait!"

The next arrow was loudly notched, the bow creaking in protest as he rapidly drew the string back. He peered along the shaft, the arrowhead quivering at a hand that extended from behind a rock, the fingers waving in an attempt at parlay.

"The älg is sick. If you bring her back to your village, you will poison your entire family."

No response. The bow was still tensed.

"I'm going to step out. Don't shoot!"

Again, no response. When the woman behind the rock stepped out, clutching the family crest of a neighbouring village, the bow finally relaxed. She crouched and pulled the arrow out of the elk's neck.

"See? The flesh is already rotting."

bb713ac170f71f1197dc4938e79ea855.jpg

"I am Eirene." She reached into her coat and pulled out an entire necklace of crests, one from every village neighbouring the hunter's settlement. And in the palm of the other hand sat a glowing, primastic crystal.

"I have a proposal for you."

"Take me to Tavark."

new_court_chris_ostrowski_by_najtkriss-d7n0wtn.jpg
[/dash]

Last edited:
(Collab with @Aira Reinhart)
(Post contains mature content - read at your own peril)
Ilsa Lisbon and Vrein Baelithar — Barvelle, Indigo
As night approached, Ilsa and Vrein retired to the Flask & Flagon, a local tavern in Barvelle where Ilsa had been staying. Nights like this had become a regular occurrence; they would dine and drink, then retire to her guest room to discuss progress and city plans, while occasionally stealing a kiss or two (or ten). At the sounding of the city bell that signaled nightfall, Vrein would depart and return to House Ulgeryn, where Oberik had been gracious enough to allow Vrein the comfort of his floors.

"Another night for ya, Captain?" The barkeep called out to Ilsa and Vrein as they stood up from the counter. Ilsa nodded, reaching into a pouch at her side and producing from it a handful of clay coins, each stamped with the insignia of Pegulis. Eyeing them in her palm, she left enough on the counter to cover the meal as well as another night's stay at the Flask & Flagon. The barkeep gave the pair a nod to wish them well as they disappeared down a separate hall leading to the guest rooms.

With a turn of a key, Ilsa and Vrein entered her room, a small and modest bedroom with little but a bed and a desk, with several faintly glowing thermic gems to provide a bit of light. Scattered across the table were maps, diagrams, sketches; all from previous nights' work and studies, and left there for their reference later. On the nights prior, they would both head immediately to the table to work and to plan. On this day, they stood as the door closed behind them, each with the same news for the other but neither knowing how to approach it.

The silence was broken by the rustling of Ilsa's plate armor as she turned to face Vrein. "Vrein, I have--" she paused, for once distracted by the noise of her own armor. "Can you help me get this off?" Vrein nodded quietly, helping her out of her armor and her chainmail, until she was down to just her gambeson, a quilted layer to protect from abrasion. Respectfully, the smith turned away while Ilsa disrobed. When Vrein turned back around, she had changed into a long and simply-styled white nightgown that adorned her curves.

Vrein felt the need to avert his gaze, but watched as Ilsa approached with a contemplative look of concern on her face that betrayed the seemingly romantic moment. The space between them had been filling with what they chose not to tell each other, and Ilsa wanted to be upfront. She opened her mouth to speak, but Vrein managed to speak first.

"Ilsa--" he caught her attention, and she paused. "Ilsa. Close your eyes."

A look of confusion blinked across Ilsa's features, if only for a brief moment, before she eyed Vrein with curious amusement. "Why?"

Vrein shot her an expecting gaze. "Just do it. No peeking."

With a shake of the head, Ilsa laughed softly and shrugged before closing her eyes as told. A faint smile fell upon Vrein's lips. "Hold out your hands," he requested, reaching into his pouch to reveal a faintly glowing heart crystal pendant, carefully decorated with an exotic silver-gold filigree, the same gift he had managed to keep hidden from her at the forge. He placed it into her hands. "Open up."

Ilsa's eyelids fluttered open. As her hazel eyes focused on the pendant in her hands, they widened with almost childlike excitement, a flush tinting her fair cheeks. For several moments, she was speechless, eyes darting between the pendant and back at Vrein.

"Vrein... it's beautiful!"

"I'm glad you like it." He responded with a hint of guilt, not daring to mention that he spent the majority of what money he had left just to obtain the crystals and materials for the gift. Releasing a heavy sigh, his own brown hazel hues softened into despair, gazing back at Ilsa. "No matter what happens or how far apart we may ever be, remember me, Ilsa. I will always love you."

Touched by his words and the gesture, Ilsa smiled, almost giddy in her happiness. Her own eyes softened as she stared back into his. "And I love you, Vrein." Their words drifted in the air as she stared back down at the pendant. "How did you know I was leaving?"

"You're leaving?" The despair in his eyes was swiftly replaced with confusion.

Ilsa blinked in response, trying to process his question. "I-- the sages, they--" finally connecting the dots, she looked back at him. "YOU'RE leaving?"

"That's my line." The smith frowned in contemplation.

The guard captain mirrored his frown as she looked thoughtfully back down at the pendant. "I have to return home, to Aldus. The sages fear the damage the storm might have caused."

"Aldus..." Vrein echoed, nodding gravely. "Castigarian asked me to join him on a quest to find an ancient ore and other more... delicate information. I do not know when I will return."

Concern was apparent in Ilsa's eyes, knowing she'd be unable to help keep Vrein out of danger, though the same could be said for herself. She sighed, her voice nearly a whisper. "Nor I. I leave at dawn tomorrow."

With no words to express his feelings, Vrein wrapped his arms around Ilsa's waist, pulling her into a firm embrace. He clinged to her gently, distraught with the knowledge that he could only enjoy the few moments they had left. Ilsa slid her arms around his torso to embrace him in return, clinging to him tightly and resting her head on his shoulder.

In the distance, the bell rang signifying nightfall, resonating through Barvelle's ice crystal halls. Reluctantly removing himself from the embrace, Vrein smiled sadly. "I guess this is goodbye." He lingered for a moment longer, until he finally decided perhaps goodbye would be easier if it were quick. Turning toward her, Vrein made an attempt to smile fondly. "Look after yourself." With that, he turned back towards the door.

"Vrein?" Ilsa stepped forward hesitantly. Vrein's hand slid off the door handle as he turned to face her.

Ilsa, eyes fixated on his, delicately pulled the straps of her nightgown off her shoulders as the sheer garment skimmed her curves and fell onto the ground, fully exposing her naked body.

"Stay the night with me?"

Vrein's eyes softened as he gazed longingly at his love, at the way the light caressed her fair skin and set it aglow. "How can I refuse?"

They fell into each others arms, pulling into a tight embrace and exchanging a fiery kiss. Ilsa's hands grasped at the fabric of his clothing, pulling each article away and tossing them to the ground until his scarred, naked body was exposed. Allowing herself to succumb to vulnerability, she relinquished control as Vrein eased her onto her back on the bed, placing soft, eager kisses against her neck.

Vrein immersed himself with the intoxicating scents of steel and snow that still lingered upon Ilsa's soft golden hair. His rough hands wandered the contours of her body, one that wore her own scars from toil of combat. A mutual understanding sparked between them both: they were two imperfect individuals, made up more of rough edges than soft curves. They were far from perfect, but they desired each other as though they were.

Hurried breaths escaped from their lips, crackling over an electric silence as Vrein's kisses trailed down her chest and abdomen. The sensations of each of Vrein's kisses created shocks of desire that arced through Ilsa's body before curling deep within her core. An intense desire stirred from within her that made her loins glisten in anticipation, driving Vrein to oblige her.

Sliding his arms beneath her thighs, the lovers exchanged eye contact as Vrein dove between her legs, sending an immediate quiver through Ilsa's body. Fluttering her eyelids closed, she released a melody of appreciative sighs, sinking back against the sheets. Vrein's tongue melted against her insides, each stroke a scorching wave of pleasure.

Shaking, Ilsa let out a soft moan, running her fingers through Vrein's hair as he continued to pleasure her, causing a flush of warmth to tint her vanilla skin. Her hands pulled back against Vrein as she eased away from his affections, sitting up and gently turning him onto his back as she crawled onto all fours, taking control and switching places with him. Ilsa leaned in, her soft hair cascading against his inner thigh as she trickled her tongue across his skin. Groans of gratification escaped Vrein's lips, his breathing intensifying at the caress of her mouth.

Vrein's hazel hues settled intently upon Ilsa, watching as she tasted him. The gentle warmth of her affections awakened a burning desire inside of him, which she immediately addressed. Reaching out his hand to stroke Ilsa's soft golden locks of hair, he groaned once more. His body ached with pleasure, her playful touch agonizing him as she continued to explore, only causing his hunger for her to grow.

Unable to contain his desire, Vrein pulled her away as they tumbled over the sheets. Ilsa found herself once again on her back, Vrein's strong hands seizing hold of her legs, propping them up at the knees. Their eyes met, silently exchanging in only a few moments all the emotions they lacked words to describe. In the next moment, both released a simultaneous gasp as their bodies connected. Both lovers became immersed in the other's heat for the first time; for several moments, they lingered, unmoving.

Then suddenly, their bodies moved in unison as the sounds of skin colliding with skin filled the room. Accompanying it, the rhythmic pulse of heartbeats from two lovers who knew not if they'd ever see each other again. Impassioned breaths and moans layered over the staccato of their symphony. Hands grasped at skin, and where they found none, they gripped the sheets instead. They indulged in the comfort of each other before they would go their separate ways and wander off into eternity.

The night carried on like this, the two lovers handing off control, each giving the other an opportunity to rest. Sweat beaded and dripped from their bodies as they continued to wrap each other in their desire, the scent of their musk filling the room. Vrein flipped Ilsa off all fours and back onto her back, gripping his hands around her thighs as a deep groan escaped his chest. A pressure swelled inside them both, and a desire to reach it - to release it - overwhelmed their senses.

Suddenly, a flash of ecstasy seared through Ilsa's body, rolling through it like a thunderstorm. Ilsa cried out, arching her back as her muscles spasmed, tightening their grip on Vrein. He let off a low, primal groan in response as he allowed himself to become lost within her, succumbing to climax as the heat of euphoria washed over them both. Combating their tensing muscles, their movements gradually slowed as their gazes reconnected, each attempting to catch their breaths.

Vrein's body fell forward as he allowed his body to meld against hers, both of them radiating heat in the afterglow of climax. The warmth of their hurried breathing dissipated over sweat-stained skin as their hands found each other's, fingers interlacing. From beneath, Ilsa turned her head to nuzzle his cheek, eyes closed as she savored these final moments.

"I love you," she whispered against his ear.

She opened her eyes as Vrein pulled his head back, and their pairs of hazel eyes met once again. "I love you too."

After another affectionate kiss, Vrein laid his head back down against Ilsa's shoulder, and they allowed their bliss to carry them into slumber.

[ooc volume DOWN!]

In Aldus, stranger things unfurled.

Dane knew what the golems were. A ring of the metal men blocked the entrance to the two towers, and beyond them were a growing cadre of Aldus Watch; in front of each ring was a single violent splatter of blood and gore that clearly used to be a human. Metal gauntlets squeezed wooden staff, the creaking loud in the tense standoff. Every subtle shift of boot on cobblestone and tongue over dry lips echoed loudly. Yet the golems stood still in a ring around the entrance, backed only by a hooded beggar in front of both tower entrances.

Sparks and arcing bolts of arcane light traced patterns across the looming megastructure. Another cry. Off in the wilderness, beyond the hole in the wall, a smaller cylinder of divine fire spilled from the clouds, punching a perfect circle miles deep into the ground. The steam that boiled out of the landscape would billow into the sky for days.

The tension became unbearable. The Watched edged closer as one, mages in the rear inscribing shielding spell circles on the guardsmen's plate armour. And the beggar turned.

Everyone thought they were looking into the hood. Dane did as well. As he gazed, the hood seemed to grow, larger and larger, engulfing his vision and extending until he was enveloped entirely in black -

"What's going on? Who are ye?"

"AAAAAH ... SIMPLE QUESTIONS FROM A SIMPLE MIND. WHO I AM REALLY ISN'T IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW, DANE."

"How do you know my na -"

"AGAIN WITH THE SIMPLE QUESTIONS?"

The beggar closed the distance between them, and stabbed his hand into Dane's chest. The Watch recruit retched, only the pain keeping him from doubling forward. He could feel the beggar's fingers close on his beating heart, the fingers carving a spell circle onto the surface of the flesh.

"I CANNOT ASCEND THE LAST TWO TOWERS ON ACCOUNT OF YOUR ADDLED CAPTAIN MARIN. FIND A BIRD CREATURE AND PUT THEM TO SLEEP FOR ME."

Dane blinked, and everything was as it was. The guards edged too far forward, and the golems met them in a storm of blood and gore.

The hex on Dane's heart crimped, reminding him of its presence.

"QUICKLY NOW."

b.png

Last edited:
Castigarian - Barvelle Entrance, Cadetblue

Time was a strange thing.

What in reality had only been a few weeks, to Castigarian felt like years. His world had effectively slowed to the pace of a snail's movement, yet his body hadn't been invited along for the trip; the countless aches both mentally and physically he had incurred throughout his various trials since deciding to embark upon this quest weighed heavily upon him, and were he a smaller man, he might have already cracked.

Thankfully, he was much more stalwart than that; and even more reassuring were the allies...the friends he had made that helped him to shoulder his burdens. The things that were happening now were nothing any one person could bare alone...no matter how insistently a certain fool smith tried to do so.

Ever since the storm had come and gone from the doorstep of Barvelle, Castigarian had found himself drawn to Vrein's bedside more often than not in his time off; he knew that the sooner he left on his journey to the Forbidden North, the better of he'd be...but he couldn't in good conscience leave without at least inviting the smith along--after all, if it was a mythical ore he was looking for, it only made sense to bring along someone who could positively identify it.

While he awaited his friend's recovery, if he wasn't in a chair next to Vrein helping to tend to him or regaling him with various stories, he found himself as an impromptu archery teacher in the Barvelle Firing Range. It wasn't as if he'd intended anything like that; it just so happened that his practice had drawn a few curious eyes, and what had started out as giving a few pieces of advice turned into full on lessons before he'd had time to properly register what was going on. Not that it was such a bad thing, it occupied his mind and oddly enough relieved him of a great deal of stress; it might have even given him a small sense of pride as he watched his new students improve in their skills.

The time, despite how slow it seemed to crawl for the hunter, seemed to move to its own beat and before he knew it, it had become the morning he was to set out for his expedition. He stood in Barvelle's entrance hall; a tall, imposing figure shrouded in his blue hunting cowl with his back resting against the wall behind him. In his hands were his bow and a bar of wax which he was currently drawing across the bowstring; one might call it a nervous habit, though likely not to the hunter's face.

He waited patiently for those who answered the Archon's call to arms, as well as Vrein and anyone he'd managed to gather; he wasn't expecting a massive turnout--but then again, that wasn't what he wanted. A small group that could move quickly through the frozen landscapes and woods, people that wouldn't make a lot of noise or attract attention to themselves. Vrein of course the exception to that, but he was important to this mission without a doubt; so it was a calculated risk, but one Castigarian felt comfortable taking.

"We'll hafta go threw T'vark first...I wonder how bad t'storm hit out there..." he mumbled to himself as he finished waxing his string and slung his weapon across his chest. He couldn't help but worry about his hometown, he'd seen the devastation that the storm had managed to bring down even here in Barvelle...how well could Tavark have fared in the face of such power? He hoped to see his proud home still standing when he finally returned; lest he had another thing to add to the list of reasons he should sink an arrow into the Ghoul Sage's neck.

Time was strange, and it was about to get a fair deal stranger before all of this was said and done.

Vrein Baelithar, #1048cb

The threat of the dawn crept upon the horizon, stirring the streets of Barvelle that slept restlessly under the cold chill of the summer morning. Waking from a deep slumber Vrein looked fondly upon the woman lay in his arms, sound asleep in a world of dreams until the bells would ring and wake her. With the rising of the sun she would leave this secret city behind to return home to Aldus and he would venture on a quest he might not come back from.

Running his crystalline hand through her hair, he could still feel its threads weave like it were touching his skin as he leaned down to kiss her forehead "Hey," in the hold of his arms Ilsa groaned at the awakening, her hazel eyes settling on him with a weary smile "good morning."

Promptly rising from the bed The Captain of The Aldus watch gazed wistfully toward the maps on her desk, taking the jewel Vrein had made her into her hands and grasped it tightly. Thick like the fog that lay on the mountains at the first light of morning, tension shrouded the air that lay between the lovers. Both trapped between love and despair they cast their eyes upon each other once more before letting the cold grasp of reality pull them away.

Following behind her Vrein slowly wrapped his arms around Ilsa's waist; pulling her into an embrace he laid his head against her. "I'll miss you," warm tears flowed down the side of his cheeks, settling onto her shoulder as he clung to her, gently kissing her neck.

Shifting around to face him Ilsa put her hand to his cheek, brushing the tears away from his eyes "I'll miss you too," she barely managed with a tearful smile, settling into his arms she returned his gaze of melancholy adoration "Promise me you'll be safe,"

"You know I can't," he whispered pulling away from her to dress and gather his things, 'Goodbye' was easier short.

His hand rested upon the door as he turned to look upon his golden haired goddess once more "Goodbye, Ilsa."

Unable to handle the thought of a reply he battled with his tears, closing the door behind him.

Shortly After

Upon his return the smith Oberik looked upon Vrein with sympathetic eyes as he watched the man struggle to pack for his journey. Briefly acknowledged by the smith's aux the polar bear bowed it's head in respect to him, it's eyes almost human as it stared knowingly at Oberik then padded off behind it's master.

Most of Vrein's things were already packed alongside an additional package that had a note on it, that Vrein unfortunately could not read.

We'll be waiting for ya.

-The Ulgeryn Family

A sad smile pressed upon his features "Ion, do you think we will come back?"

"Only if you will it," the polar bear replied standing in the doorway.

The smiths hazel eyes rest upon Ion with a will of iron fire "Thank you."

Before long Vrein had finally gathered his things, giving the family a hearty farewell Vrein thanked them for kindness they had shown toward him and departed toward the gates of Barvelle where the party awaited him. Over the week few other invitations had been sent out to a few; Eydis the stubborn huntress, Jules the tracker, Blythe the mysterious and exotic anthro, Ethel the healer and finally the lady Archon herself. Although their arrival to gates was uncertain, the small union waited patiently for word for possible word of their answer; ready to leave on the first bell of dawn.

The Island, gold
"So Jodirn left you to fend off that beast yourself?" Darin recapped to ensure he understood. Raige nodded, "Then I'm glad we've been training. Ll have Jodirn detained until we return to Tavark. Then he can be tried and punished according to Tavarkian law," Darin sighed, a little light handed and swayed in his chair.

"You okay, sir Darin?" Raige asked, concern laced his voice.

"I'm fine," Darin reassured his friend, "Speaking of training. Someone missed their training last night," he smiled. Raige stood and Darin with him, "Get your blade. Today we swordplay."

Training was intense, and it quickly wore on Darin.the poison was working far quicker than anyone had anticipated. By the time Darin called the drills with Raige, he could barely stand. Darin moved to his bedroll and laid on it before he quickly fell asleep. As dedicated as he was to that journal and its secrets, Darin left in in his satchel by his armor.
------
Coooooooooommeeeeee........toooooo.........meeeee......

Darin mumbled incoherently in reply. His eyes still rocking back and forth in deep slumber. It was a voice he had dreamt of since the beginning of their journey. It sent chills along his spine, it made his skin crawl, but the one thing it did more than any other was inspire awe.

Cooooooommmeeee.....toooooo....meeee.....

Reactions: lynzy
Eydis - Barvelle, #3B3178

She walked with long steps heading down the tunnel. The entrance was visible with the others waiting. Including Vrein.

Every time it seemed like he was about to look her direction she felt the pulse rise and her mouth go dry. I felt like an eternity before she stopped. Then she took a deep breath turning towards him. "Vrein about yesterday I…" She started struggling with what to say. Until she simply sighed "I'm sorry for snapping like that"

Feeling stupid about it Eydis awkwardly rubbed her arm. And then Vrein turned his head with a smile. "No worries" he said and patted her head. "Are you okay though? You were grumpier than usual"

The young girl could feel her cheeks burn and looked up at him. "That's because i.. I" Again she felt the hesitation. Damn it why did he have to be so calm about this. Like it was nothing when she had been shouting at him even. "No im not okay" she finally said shoulders stiffening.

Vrein placed his rough hand against her soft cheek, his hazel hues gazing down at her in earnest "Do you want to talk about it?"

Every nerve end on her cheek was burning at the touch of his hand. "No. I mean yes I want to talk about it" She shook her head trying to focus. "Damn it" she said with a shaky voice and took a step back. "I can't think clearly when you do that"

The girl's withdrawal deepened the look of concern on his face "Do what?"

"This" She said and took a shaky breath. "There has been a lot lately I just feel like im getting overwhelmed". It was like a barrier broke in her mind. A flood of emotions she couldn't hold back. "First Tavark, Then Aldus and now you" She glared at up at his face not able to hold back the tears.

Unsure of the exact meaning of 'this' Vrein's eyes wandered over to the rest of the party for a second then back down at Eydis when he thought he understood "You don't have to come along if you don't want to Eydis, I invited you because I trust you and what about me?"

Furious at herself for not making much sense and at his slow reaction. The rest sort of just slipped out. "I love you!" For a moment after Eydis was surprised at herself, saying those words. She was such an idiot. Standing here crying, saying these things.

The truth was finally out and everything suddenly made sense. Wrapping his arms around her Vrein hushed the crying girl, his hand patting her soft hair. Speechless Vrein tried to formulate sentences in his head to let the girl down easily and let her cry in his arms until she calmed down.

"You shouldn't love a fool like me Eydis," he raised his hand to wipe the remaining tears from her eyes "You're a beautiful young girl with your whole life ahead of you, As for me..." a quiet laugh escaped his lips "I'm a blacksmith, worn and scarred who should be readying to settle down."

His comfort bought mixed feelings of pain and serenity, despite her one-sided feelings she could not bring herself to be cold to him. Not after how nice he had been after all the stupid things she had done. It hurt, more than being pushed away.

Gently pushing him away Eydis shook her head "Then I won't.." from the bottom of her heart Eydis wished for Vrein to have been colder. That there would be an ice within his heart that pushed her away from him so she could hate him, but she couldn't. Born from the strength of this wish dense magical energy began to flow into Vrein, freezing heartbroken tears that had sunk into his shoulder.

Like daggers shards of thick ice pierced out from underneath his skin, muscles tearing and blood splattered across the crystal floor. Releasing a loud cry Vrein pushed Eydis away from him, clutching his arm in agony as he struggled with the pain.

Staring at him and then down at her frost covered hand she then moved forward. "Vrein I" It seemed the effect increased as she got closer. Panicked she took a step back again. Guards came rushing from the scream and now Eydis noticed a change around her, more ice building up. The air grew cold at the entrance as the young anthro girl panicked.

"I..I'm sorry" She turned and ran holding her own frost covered arm. She had screwed up and hurt Vrein. Now the girl was a danger to anyone around her. She had to get away. And before anyone else could react she was gone outside. A track of snow turned to ice the only sign of where she had headed off to.

Reactions: fatalrendezvous
Blythe-Needle & Thread, #3EA99F
The faint pop of a needle penetrating thick leather sounded in rhythmic succession. Fine strands of white thread were intricately woven between the quills along Blythe's forearm and hand. The anthro girl's fingers moved as if playing a repetitive melody, and the thread began to secure itself neatly between the gaps in Vrein's Ursani tunic. Her arm began to wave back and forth as if Blythe was acting as a conductor with her needle and thread. A beautiful, yet haunting tune filled the small work space.

Far beyond our ocean blue

Rests a place uncharted

Weary souls are called to sleep

Deep within its gardens

No daises, mums, or daffodils

Are grown among the soils

But only death, despair, and greed

Will bloom of sinner's quarrels

Blythe's eyes shut softly as her song ended, and a single tear fell upon the tunic. Her hand stroked the repaired white fur. The coarse strands of hair brushed down smoothly with her touch, and the girl's erect quills began to lie flat against her exotic skin. She folded the garment neatly into a leather knapsack, along with an assortment of smaller animal hides. Blythe had sewn the rest of her caravan into blankets and covers for a group of soldiers leaving for Aldus. She had been paid a modest price for the job, but it was enough to buy her survival in Barvelle for the week. Vrein had not inquired about his tunic since their last encounter, and Blythe had not questioned him in regards to his invitation either. Instead, it seemed that the two stayed separated by each's dedication to their craft.

It was dark, and most of Barvelle's citizens were sleeping soundly as Blythe stepped silently in its emptied streets. Her icy blue stare was hidden by widened pupils in search of a light source. She would make it to the gates of Barvelle just before sunrise. Who awaited her there was still very much unknown, but her feet carried her swiftly forward without any hesitation.

First Impressions, #3EA99F
A strangely cold wind burned along Blythe's cheeks as she neared her destination. Her stomach protested loudly from hunger. She knelt down on the bare city street and pulled a stale bread roll from her pack. Standing, with food in hand, Blythe started again towards the gates. Suddenly, a small wisp of blue darted directly in front of the girl. The bread dropped from her hands and rolled a few feet down the pathway, narrowly avoiding a puddle of filthy water. She turned her gaze in either direction, scanning the area through narrowed eyes.

"Moraleis?"

Her questioning tone was greeted by a distant and nervous call. The muscles tightened in Blythe's shoulders, and her leisurely stance became firm and guarded. She took several calming breaths before holding the air in her lungs to create an eerie silence. Her heart began to beat within her eardrums as she listened intently for any traces of danger. The presence of Moraleis alerted Blythe to something or someone, but specifics could only be speculated by the tense Anthro. In her peripheral vision, Blythe spotted her timid Aux. The emotive waters that composed the fawn's body were stirring in a cyclic current, and its ears were pressed forward inquisitively. A blurred body was rushing in Blythe's direction at great speed from the gates of Barvelle. The immediate temperature plummeted fiercely and smaller, less harmful quills, indicated the girl's chill. As the figure neared, Blythe noticed its familiar attributes. Two distinct fox ears were pressed down in fear atop the head of a young Anthro. Eydis

The same girl Blythe had encountered at the Archon's banquet was now fleeing in desperation from someone or something waiting at the gates of the city. The thought temporarily distracted Blythe from noticing the intense frost that trailed from the girl's heels. Caught unprepared, Blythe narrowly dodged Eydis' advances as she shoved past. Sobs echoed in her wake, and Blythe's hands now rested upon the newly crystallized puddle that had almost been the fate of her breakfast roll. As she stood, she brushed her hands along her legs, before watching Moraleis take off in the direction Eydis had been retreating from.

Blythe's breathing had quickened with her pace as she followed her Aux. A slight sense of fear crept along her spine, but she stifled it with a quick shake of her head. Moraleis stopped short behind a large red-haired man who knelt before another that was obstructed from Blythe's vision. The Anthro furrowed her ebony brows as she cautiously walked closer and attempted to peer around the giant man who had lowered to the ground.

"Vrein can yu stand?"

A pained grunt was the only response for the obviously concerned man. Blythe watched with wide eyes as a crippled body pushed itself from the dust and rested the majority of its weight onto the unknown man's side. Now at full height, Castagarian loomed greatly above Blythe and Moraleis. Her tiny Aux circled behind the two men and placed itself purposefully on the other side of Vrein.

"D'yu think yer cud give us a 'and, lass?"

Blythe's eyes had fixated upon the menacing shards of ice protruding from Vrein's shoulder. This smith seemed to be a screaming death trap. How one man could manage such unfortunate events, Blythe could not fathom. With a nod of her head, she stepped forward as Moraleis simultaneously stepped away from his post. Now supporting half of Vrein's weight, Blythe cleared her throat and tried to find the words to question Castagarian on the situation.

"What..."

Her words slipped awkwardly through her lips, and she shrugged her shoulders trying to shift Vrein's body into a more comfortable position against her. He snorted back his pain, and Blythe winced instinctively herself. Castagarian met Blythe's fresh gaze and shook his head reassuringly.

"Dunnae wori aboot 'im tha man will pull thru, yer 'ad bad luck wi' tha' one Vrein, wha'd yu du?"

Vrein's words were dull, but laced with tension as he answered.

"Ilsa."

A smirk graced the gentle giant's face as he continued to survey Vrein and Blythe in turns.

"Ah, nae more questions t' ask, looks lik yu still go' a friend or tu tho, eh?"

Blythe raised her brows and turned her head to face Vrein and Castagarian, addressing both in one gesture.

"Associates."

Moraleis circled around the three individual's feet as they slowly shuffled toward the church awning.

I've stitched your fur, but it seems I'll be stitching you next, eh? Come on then, let's get you to the church."

Blythe's mind began to piece together Eydis, the ice, Vrein's injuries, and even the subtle comments made by Castagarian. The smith's invite was beginning to seem like more trouble than it was worth, but she couldn't ignore the opportunity to journey back to her home.

Far beyond our ocean blue

Rests a place uncharted

Weary souls are called to sleep

Deep within its gardens

No daises, mums, or daffodils

Are grown among the soils

But only death, despair, and greed

Will bloom of sinner's quarrels

The Church - Pain, #1048cb

Sharp like the cold chill of the icy mountain the spikes froze Vrein's flesh, sending burning sensations through his body as the ice's chill fought against his warm blood. Sagging torn muscular flesh that had folded over, dripping with crimson coloured liquid flowed down his arm, that splattered a thick trail of blood across the floor.

Once again the halls of the Church of The Frozen Rose welcomed Vrein, eyes peering upon the visitors and exchaning odd looks, heads shaking at him. "He's injured again!" the voice of Kyra called from the other side of the hall "set him down, and get a torch and a thermic gem!"

Gently setting Vrein down onto a bed, the Priestess made him drink a strange substance accompanied by a piece of rag to bite down on until the pain subsided and using the fire and the gem to melt the ice. Large and angry the wound in his shoulder wept tears of blood and water that gushed down the side of his arm, blood oozing to the floor as Kyra quickly worked to sew the skin back together again.

"This is a bad omen, you should be weary. You are brave Vrein but the prophet has spoken, what have you learnt that makes him bring his wrath upon you?"

Snorting, Vrein rolled his eyes at the babbling of Kyra

"Do not take my words lightly, friend. The voice of god has spoken to us! Let it be known that the gods do live and they in our darkest hours they tell us that the ancient secrets are something even we cannot comprehend. We are unworthy of them! Do not seek the dark Vrein, it will consume you!"

"Shut the fuck up and heal me," the injured man growled back at Kyra, clearly not in the mood for small talk.

"Hold your tongue smith; I might owe you a favour or two but there is no need to push me around," the priestess snapped back sounding offended and applying a strange ointment to the cut "I'll give you a pot of this since I know you're unlikely to stay still. With it your wound should be healed by the end of the week; apply it twice a day and you'll be back up in no time."

An hour of pain left Vrein in a worse mood than before, as he finally stood with a sewn together shoulder gazing intently into Blythe's eyes in search for consolation where there was none. As much as he wished she were, Blythe was not Ilsa. Not a woman who would come to his side, not the woman he loved, adored even... for she had already left.

Casting his eyes to the floor, thoughts of Ilsa flowed through his head, swiftly followed by threatening tears ''ow 're ya feelin?" Castagarian wrapped a firm hand around Vrein's other shoulder in an attempt to comfort the smith, only to be meet with eyes thick with sorrow and longing.

Instead, the polar bear Ion replied "Lonely, the afflictions of feminine feelings have worn on him." The polar bear cast a steady cool gaze toward Blythe for a second "Associate, Friend, Lover."

Blythe blew shortly out her nostrils in dark amusement "The afflictions of feelings wear on us all."

Solemnly the polar bear regarded her once more "Insensitivity for those you do not care for, we will mind this trait. My master would tell you not to state the obvious, I shall do so in his stead," bowing in respect to Castagarian the bear followed its master back to the gates of Barvelle.

The Hunted
The jungle was endless. Every step felt as though it was the last, and the sky seemed almost still when they could see past the canopy of thick green. Darin was in the lead, and Raige was quickly behind him, not that he was very thrilled at all to be inside this jungle again. Darin was determined though, determined that he would find this cure. That was what most of them presumed anyways.

The night before brought a certain understanding to the men. Jodirn was in really rough shape, and the ranting had kept a lot of them up all night. Raige never felt safe, not with the man still alive and the creepy howl of the wind to just add to the silent tension. Before departing they had tied the bastard up and left three of the crew to watch over him. Raige had been opposed of course but it seemed the only logical thing aside from dragging the crazed hunter with them.

"In the book you have been reading Sir Darin, does it give you any idea what exactly we are looking for?" Raige wasn't any helped with these exotic plants, none of them were very familiar to the Tavark surrounding forest, and so he was guessing at what the herb might look like; that could save his friend. Darin just nodded shortly, expressing his own concern, and the subject dropped.

Cutting past some very thick vines the party finally stood in a messy clearing. Large stone like structures were ruin in the area but it was curious to think that civilization had once existed here. Darin could not have been happier. A certain glee in his voice presented as he spoke. "This is it! We are getting closer!" It was a confusing idea, considering how badly it contradicted the answer Darin had just given him, but Raige let it go.

The far back hunters caught up and filed into the clearing. Something was different about them now, and Gom stood before them looking up at Darin and Raige. The young wolf was the first to catch it, but before he could say anything at all. A blade moved swiftly and the ground was dyed in blood. Gom, fell over and the one that held the bloody knife looked at Raige with an almost deft emotionless stare. Raige had seen this before and acted on instinct.

One of the men charged forward with a spear and thrust it at the young wolf, but missed. Darin quickly countered and brought his shield around to snap the already weak wooden shaft to the spear. By now. the others were scattered, Darin and raige stood alone to face the sound of the jungle, the scuttle of boots in the distance, and then the silence. Raige looked to Darin, as if to see if he was okay, searching his eyes for that familiar kindness he knew in the Paladin. A sigh of relief released when he found it, but it was short lived.

Thwapt~

A few arrows came from the off side portion of the clearing and Raige only barelty pushed Darin down to avoid them. The two took cover behind a fallen tree. They watched, listened, and waited. This time a loud familiar voice erupted over the jungle. it sent chills of Raiges spine when he realized. And a soft word left his wolf like maw unto his friend. "Jodirn" Darin only nodded.

"WOLFY... Come out wherever you are! Come on, I think we got off on the wrong foot Raige. We are both Hunters so we should definitely understand each other better than this. Also I want you to meet someone... I want you to meet..." The silence in between his words seemed to last for a life time. "God.."

This was no longer and expedition for a Cure. This was a hunt now, and they were the hunted.

Reactions: lynzy and unanun
Karissa Lisbon — Aldus, royalblue
Avians found refuge in the Lisbon home. The winged men and women, homeless and hungry, flocked to the home of "the free child," as their Ambassador Nuria had described her. Karissa, together with her grandmother, provided them with shelter wherever they had space in their home. They dressed their wounds, and provided what food they could (though the Avians did not seem overly fond of elk).

As the Lisbons opened their home, so too did the Avians open their hearts. They shared stories good and bad, recounted old folk tales, and told jokes. Karissa listened to it all with wide eyes and eager intent, and with them she shared in both their tears and their laughter. Every day, The Free Child was learning more about Avian culture and history than she could have ever learned in a classroom in Aldus.

Outside their home and on the streets, however, a different story was being told. A different history being rewritten.

The Aldus Council had fallen so far into their madness that they had implicated Ilsa Lisbon, the (now former) Captain of the Watch, in causing the disasters that had rocked the city as of late. Town criers spread the news that they had been betrayed. Like a wildfire, the rumors spread slowly at first, ignited by the spark of Breifus' suspicion and paranoia. The people needed a scapegoat: something - or more specifically, someone - whom they could blame. Someone tangible. The Ghoul Sage was far too abstract, but Ilsa, one of their own, someone they trusted, somehow made a more fitting candidate to take the fall.

And so, from a spark, the flames of disdain towards Ilsa and the Lisbon family grew. Karissa and her grandmother had been busy within their own home, tending to those who needed help, but they of course had also heard. The word had become so widespread so quickly, however, that there was little they could have done. They hoped that it, like most other rumors, would pass. Surely citizens of the scholarly nation of Pegulis, would come to understand that the Lisbons meant no harm and that their beliefs were unfounded.

As the sun rose on a new day in Aldus, Karissa and her grandmother served several of their Avian guests breakfast tea and a light soup comprised of seaweed and other locally available vegetables. They chattered about at the table before a knock at their door quieted them.

Karissa skipped cheerfully to the door, opening it a crack to peek out of it. Identifying the Aldus Watch armor that framed the two men at her door, she opened the door fully with a smile. "Good morning!" She chirped. "Want to join us for breakfast?"

Her invitation was met with stone-faced expressions from the watchmen, who remained unenticed by the delicate aroma of tea and seaweed that wafted from further within the home. "Are you Karissa Lisbon?" The Watchman's question carried on a menacing, almost accusatory tone. Karissa's heart dropped in her chest. She wanted to lie, but what use would it have been?

"Y-yes."

The Watchman grabbed her by the wrist and yanked her out of the doorway. "You're coming with us."

Their Avian guests jumped to their feet in response, angered by the guard's rough treatment of The Free Child. They rushed to the door to come to her defense, only to be stopped short when the other Guardsman drew his sword.

"Get back!" He shouted, gripping the hilt of the sword with both hands. "You want to start a fucking war, wingbacks? Don't forget the contract YOUR Ambassador signed. No human is to harm any Avian, nor any Avian harm any human. This is city business, and I will not hesitate to defeather any one of you vermin for interfering."

Caws and shouts came from the Avians within the home, outraged by the Guardsman's lack of respect and fueled even further by their inability to retaliate lest they risk war and the lives of countless others. Karissa turned to face them, arm still held by the Guardsman. "It'll be okay," she assured. "I'll talk to them." A noticeable fear quivered behind her voice despite her brave front. Not even she was sure she believed her words.

Helpless to intervene, they watched as Karissa was led away by the guards.

Nuria, #EDCB62

That was the day the first mistake was made, and the day when the Knight of the free child would eventually make the second and the watch their third…
From every corner of the city the sweet sound of Nuria's message filled the streets,

New Orders from the council! The Avian Refugees of Viridos are not to be harmed! We are to offer them food and refuge! Each home will house at least one Avian!
Approaching the city centre from the town hall Nuria boldly strode into the street of the city. She looked upon the peering eyes of the Aldus town folk, watching them spew fetid whispers that reeked of suspicion and malice.

"Give the Signal"

As swift as an arrow to a boar's hide, Nuria's selected guard flapped their great wings lifting themselves into sky. Both flying higher as they began pirouetting and spiralling around each other like dancing on the thin air.

Frightened by the lingering uncertainty the towns people looked to the skies that darkened as hundreds of Avian refugees flew over the walls and landed before their leader. All of them, bowing before her presence awaiting their new orders.

"My children, we are gathered her in this square because an agreement has been made!"

Nuria's eyes wandered across the crowd that gazed back at her expectantly with and eerie silence.

"You have been given a second chance! You have been given the chance to take back the honourable name that you left when you fled the eerie. If it's safety you seek I can offer it to you! But remember, everything has a price!
All of us will take part in the defense, well being and rebuilding of this city. Together we will rise as two nations to rebuild their home!
AND IN RETURN
You shall all be fed, watered and looked after by the people that reside here.
EVERY ONE of you has skills, EVERY ONE of you can make yourself useful to these people and now is the time to prove yourself so you may return to your home with honour.
Under this agreement you are not allowed to be harmed! If any Pegulian hurts you or if any Pegulian is hurt by you, a trial shall be taken place and that trial will determine your fate!
If you do not comply with these rules then the consequences will be great and I promise you all
I am not forgiving.
Thank you."

Nuria stepped down from her speech and addressed her guard.

"Find a couple of others who can read and write, have them tell their names and their list of skills. After the mayor finally decided to finish faffing with that council of theirs they eventually agreed that an Avian will be assigned to each household."

With a polite bow her two chosen quickly left to carry out her orders when the lieutenant Miran finally appeared in front of her.

"I don't know what yo-"she began, quickly cut off from Nuria.

"Ah Miran, I was looking for you. You're a strong military woman with knowledge of this town. My people will need a doctor, know where I might find one?"

Alarmed by the ambassador's forward approach and her interruption, "There is one, another Avian, I will take you to him."

"Please do,"

The scorn in Miran's face made it quite apparent the woman didn't like Nuria, but that was to be expected. After all, what Captain of any Watch would be fond of having stranger invade their home?

After a short while they finally arrived at a quirkily decorated establishment that had a row of flowerpots under the window frame containing a drooping yellow flower; that although vibrant and happy felt very sad, like the epitome of life and death in a single flower. On the door, a wind vein like on a windmill flowing constantly around in circles and a small bell.

The temporary captain rung the bell, and a few moments later a mysterious voice answered "Hello?"

Emerging from the shadows of the creaking door appeared an equally mysterious figure, donned with a white mask and a long silk dress that flowed like down to the floor that was accompanied by an odd looking hat. Nuria had never seen anything like it and found the other Avian's odd appearance both baffling and intriguing.

"Good day, I am Ambassador Nuria of Viridos, I hear you are a doctor."

"I am Dr. Kausis, that would be correct, what can I do for you?" it replied looking over at the ambassador, it's tone revealing a sense of intrigue toward the stranger.

"Some of my people are injured and I will need your assistance in curing them for them to be useful. Whatever your price may be, name it and I shall acquire it for you."

"I see, what-"

A loud and familiar voice suddenly interrupted them, running down the street calling for Captain Marin. When Nuria turned to see who it was, she recognize its owner; The Knight of the Free Child.

"Captain Miran! I need to find an Avian, do yer know any?" a mixture of hope and fear betrayed the young man's courage as he looked up to his captain with a pale white complexion, almost as if he'd seen a ghost.

"What do you need Avians for?"

"There are two avian right here, what is it that you need Knight of the Free Child?" Nuria quickly interjected, taking over the temporary Captains job to give assistance to the man that earnt her a glare from Miran.

Surprised by the Avian's bold behavior toward the captain, the soldier tried to hide a smile "I need to get to the top of those spires to deactivate them manually" Dane pointed toward the top of the spires.

Following his direction Nuria nodded "I see, it will talk more than one avian to get you to the top of those spires. As the first thing I shall do to honour my agreement with the citizens of Aldus I will help you Knight of the Free child." her attention averted back over to the doctor "Come doctor, let us prove ourselves to our avian ancestors and prove that no matter which nation we are from, we will always help one another."

An air of silence lingered for a moment as the doctor stood completely still, masked and quiet as if considering the proposal before making a final decision.

"Very well," it finally commented before setting down its things, walking from it's establishment and locking the door.

Nuria nodded "Are you ready, Knight?"

Dane shook his head.

The Captain glared.

Nuria smiled triumphantly

And silence fell upon the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.