MAIN SAGA PEARLS OF PERSIA | IC

ENAYA

Enaya watched from the safety of his shadowed corner as the servants of the abode set up a canopy for which the guests were to be seated under. They moved with purpose and grace, such that Enaya admired their reliability and nimble fingers. They were gone as fast as they had appeared, leaving behind a fully-established dinner tent. Enaya was intrigued, to say the least. If Habbas was to treat them to a feast, he wasn't going to argue. The huntsman could use a decent meal.

When the man of the house finally made his appearance, Enaya straightened his shoulders and focused his attention on him. It was time to learn why he was called here, what he was needed for. He wasn't looking forward to sitting among so many strangers in such close quarters. Certainly, he did not want to be sat next to the dark-haired woman that had first greeted him. She was nothing but trouble. The man across from her seemed too defensive and on edge to be any different. Perhaps the scholar wouldn't be terrible, but he ended up seating himself next to the person who appeared to be least of a threat, which was the short, cloaked figure. Luckily, Enaya was able to choose a purple-dominated cushion.

The servants placed dinnerware in front of him, causing his tail to begin flickering with impatience, each time landing on the ground with a light thwop. That's when the scent of beautifully cooked meats wafted underneath his nose, and his pupils dilated to fill the brim of his irises.

Suddenly, his reason for being here became all too clear: To dine on delectable, tender, finely spiced meat. He cared not for the fruits or bread or anything else on the table. He used silverware to grab the meat and place it on his plate, but that was as far as he would take the usage of such items. From there, his long, sharp claws extended from his fingers to grab hold of the slab of meat, bringing it to his long, sharp canines. Manners were not something Enaya was much worried about. Not with a piece of meat as juicy and tender as the one he had in his mouth.

It was only after he finished the meat, with streaks of the juice running down his chin, that he could finally tune into the conversation that the others were having.

So Enaya was here because someone recommended it? Not that he doubted it, Enaya was a masterfully skilled huntsman, one unmatched in this part of the continent. It was understandable that his name would have reached Habbas' ear, especially with the crew he was attempting to recruit. Understanding why he was there had been rather quick and left Enaya wanting for more questions to be satisfied. But the others had that taken care of. He, too, wondered of this strange mix up of people, and how these gears would be able to connect and turn together. He wondered of the skills of the others that allowed them to be invited here as well and offered a journey of a lifetime.

Truthfully, Enaya had always been searching for something more than his ordinary life. Everyday it was tracking, killing, and selling. While he would always be okay living that simple life, Enaya knew his outstanding abilities could be applied elsewhere. With these few thoughts in his mind, it was rather easy for him to decide.

"I do not like to travel closely," Enaya warned, his voice deep and stern, yet somehow rather soft. "I do not like to make friends... But I am interested... so I accept. When do we go?"
Created by Jenamos

Mohamed Ibn Sina

The scholar reluctantly began to take food. His favorite was spiced fruit, making up the largest part of his meal. He had a sweet tooth, much as he knew it would lead to a toothache if he wasn't careful. He looked at Habbas with slight, almost tired disbelief at the mention of the great king Xerxes, their prize his crown. That explained quite a lot, then, as he was almost certain such tales were vast exaggerations. The truth often lay somewhere between fact and fiction, and there was quite the gap between the two here.

Though that obviously meant quite the latitude in how much was 'fact'.

Just as he was taking a sip of his tea, Razin made a rather pointed statement about the guests at the table, guests her father had invited into his courtyard, and Hama nearly snorted the tea out of his nose, choking lightly. His eyes glanced to the Turk and the smaller, bird-like Aspect, seeing that at least for one of them, the words had had a... certain effect.

Sure he wasn't seen, he locked eyes with Razin, lifted his eyebrows, and made a slight chopping motion at the neck. Enough out of you. Do you want robbed?

However it seemed there were other questions that some of their compatriots voiced, namely why they would need a group as diverse as this, and when they would depart. Hama finished of his bite to eat with a sip of tea, before he said to the as-yet unnamed Alim, "Perhaps I can answer that question. I cannot say I have been on excursions of quite so legendary a nature, but I have been on excursions nonetheless. Booby-traps. Tomb raiders. Bandits, rocs, enterprising Nubians with large lizards. There are any number of dangers, and a variety of expertise is necessary to navigate them. Getting there is half the battle, and the other half is getting around defenses built by the tomb's intended inhabitant. If this is truly the tomb of Xerxes... I can't imagine the kinds of locks, traps, and deceptions that will guard the treasures inside."

He looked to Habbas, gaze cautious.

"And yes, I'd also like to know how soon I need to make-- arrangements."

He nervously tapped his fingernails to his clay cup of tea, nodding his head towards the Lion Aspect who had first brought up the question.

@Kuno @A Crow @Kabboom @Red Thunder

HABBAS

It was not the first time that Habbas wondered why his retirement thus far had been marked by so many troubles. It was true that he had a propensity for attracting troublesome characters. To seek out, to undertake such a grand, superficially foolhardy expedition such as this was perhaps begging for calamity at this point; mayhaps it was fitting that it had spurred such contempt to be spewed from his own daughter's lips.

The tired frown engraved into his face was indistinguishable from the one he always bore. Razin's words sparked responses; first from the suspected criminal, assuredly propping up his daughter's incredulity with his own. Then the Lion Aspect male - the first to agree with no questions asked.

Habbas ate quietly as his cousin took up the torch and answered some of the questions asked. They were all right to be curious - hadn't he himself, too, asked question after question from his study of the puzzle? Had it not also taken the persuasion of his financier to sway his heart towards the pursuit of knowledge? Habbas was no man chasing after the wind, and he trusted Hama and Razin knew that. But these people did not know him. As with all things, much of their decision in whether or not to come along would depend solely on the great equalizer…

Money.

"Soon, Hama," Habbas assured the man, "And well said. A group so diverse as ours is needed to tailor to the very diverse needs of the Ananias Square. We do not know what challenges lie ahead; better, then, to have a team more all-encompassing in skill. The captain of the guard trusted me to find ones who would suit that need. And in the spirit of these Persians' 'Huvarshta' he has elected to…ignore some of your pasts."

Pasts which were so forthrightly insulted by Razin. He had not forgotten. In another household, in another disrespectful culture, perhaps the words would have gone ignored, labeled instead as fruit for thought and encouraged amongst the adult children. She was an adult, after all. And he would not have invited her to the meeting if he did not desire to hear her opinion.

But, lo. He was still her father. And these were his guests.

"I must apologize for my daughter. Razin was but a small child when I brought my family to Isfahan, and I and my love were older and less balanced. I allowed the softened ideals of the Persians and their wealth to coddle her, and so she has grown up very much spoiled. She speaks when she should listen."

The look he gave Razin was brief - but pointed.

"In any case, young man," Habbas spoke at last to the Lion aspect man at the end of the table, turning his stern eyes towards him. "I expect to leave in two days time. I've made arrangements for us to travel to Cairo, where the second piece of the Ananias Square is being held in their library. We'll need it to ascertain where to go next."

The older man made a vague gesture with his hand. "So - there it stands. Take these two days to think this over. Enjoy the festivities...the wine, the dancing, the city. And when you return to my home in two days time - or not - I will have my answer."

Screenshot_20210802-205945_DuckDuckGo.jpg

'She speaks when she should listen.'

Were her concerns not shared? Did they yet remain still unanswered, even so? At least, not to her satisfaction. Hama, the knowledgeable, could hardly be called an expert in the affair, and Habbas gave as much as answer as ever he gave her: minute and cryptic.

Razin remained, resting as she lounged at the table and resisting the urge she felt to loose the wrath rising in her chest. But no; she'd had her say, she'd been answered sufficiently by him to whom the question was directed, and she had still as yet given an answer to the question asked of her. So she bowed her head.

"May my tongue be forgiven its sharpness, and may I be forgiven for its loosening." The apology came through grit teeth, but resentment was absent in her tone. "If I have not offended Abba, I shall go with him."

Lifting her head, Razin shoved another bite into her mouth, the mango tangy and sweet. She then stood, bowed at the waist to the group, gave Habbas a significant look, seized a black staff, and left the courtyard with the barely restrained fury of a roc denied its elephant.

@Kuno

Last edited:
Errol Demir

With Habbas' initial pitch at its conclusion, a pause left an opportunity for the group to prod at the man's seemingly intentional vagueness. It came as little surprise that the scholarly-looking man first inquired about the finer details. Errol was equally intrigued about the object of their quest. After all, anything that could provide such riches, must be something of fabled proportions.

As Habbas told the tale of the Ananias Square, this was the first Errol had heard of it. Though, it sounded like a fairytale. An auspicious yarn told by poverty-stricken travelers to lift their spirits. It seemed contradictory that these legends were coming from someone with an academic background. Or, perhaps it gave credit to the myth? It wasn't as though Errol had the knowledge to determine the truth from fiction. When Habbas clarified that many of the rumors were simply exaggerations, it was almost a shame. Errol would have liked to meet such a fantastical beast.

The history being discussed was foreign to Errol. In part due to not being familiar with Persia all too well and because of his lack of education. Thus, the tomes were not of much interest to him. However, the reason behind their search became clear with the revelation of their financier. If the Shah wanted something, or in this case the captain of the guards, then it was a matter of certainty.

When Habbas repeated Errol's question, his feathery ears perked under his hood. As it was divulged that they each had been scouted or recommended, he was conflicted. While Errol had toiled to keep a low profile, it wasn't always successful as a performer with such blatant oddities. Although his distrusting nature made him wary of how exactly he was found, his pride swelled within him. Surely this meant his notoriety was growing.

While Errol mulled over his options, he took the signal of others and began to eat. His stomach was growling, though the many voices thankfully made rumbling nearly impossible to hear. It had been at least a day since his last meal, the coins in his pocket having dried up.

With loose-fitting sleeves which end at a cuff on the wrist, he was able to expertly hide his colorful wings as he reached for some food. His clawed hands took several delectable look fruits, along with a piece of spiced meat and warm bread. The last time he had a luxurious meal such as this, was the night before he left for Istanbul.

As he began eating, Errol listened quietly to the conversation around him. It was convenient that many of the other guests seemed to have similar reservations as him. While the scholarly man began listing the many dangers of such a venture, it appeared that the odds were stacked against them. Even death seemed to be a likely outcome. Yet, he couldn't help but still consider it.

Errol had spent years working himself to the bone for years, with little to show for it. If the past was anything to go by, this could be his future as well. But, if they could find this treasure, he would be able to afford his clan a comfortable life for generations. This could be the only opportunity that ever presents itself. He couldn't throw it away so quickly.

When it was announced that they would leave in two days, the short notice was of little consequence to Errol. The youth was used to moving around often since being displaced from Turkey. And, without any meaningful belongings, leaving everything behind was easy. Instead, Errol was far more eager to hear that their first destination would be Cairo, a city he had always wanted to visit.

"The offer is enticing," Errol spoke up after Razin had taken her to leave. "I'll join." He decided. Even if the treasure didn't exist, this was still a good chance to access valuables that were normally out of reach. But, more than anything, his curiosity was piqued, and his naive confidence assured him that he could profit from this.

"I would like to join you on this journey."

Until now Asra had near held her silence. There had of course been the polite greetings to both her hosts and fellow guests when she had emerged into the courtyard. Since then though, nary a word had passed her lips. There had been too much for her to see, to hear, to absorb since. Even the erection of the tent under which she was now sitting had been fascinating. The way the women had worked as one had enthralled the puntling's eyes as she had tried to commit every single detail, every movement to memory.

Also, Asra's mother and grandmother had long ago, quite firmly taught her not to interrupt when adults were speaking. Even though Asra towered over everyone else at the table, some habits were hard to break. And so, she had sat and quietly picked at her food with the cutlery that was too small without saying a word, until now.

Now though, now there was a silence the puntling felt she could politely break to share the thoughts that had been coalescing in her mind.

"I should like to see the resting place of Xerxes. Not many of my people die away from our home. Even if they were only half of my blood, I would like to honour them as we do our other ancestors. Also, while your city is strange and beautiful, many merchants have told me about the wonders of Cairo. I would like to see those for myself too; if that is possible."​

Ayaz Rahal
"You had me when you mentioned riches," Ayaz finally spoke up. His silence was uncanny, caused by the delicious fruits and foods set before them on the table. He'd never been one for being quiet, he liked the sound of his own voice far too much for that. But he had always been one to enjoy a good meal, especially a high quality spread like this, and while he may be a street rat, he wasn't undignified enough to speak while eating.

"I'll enjoy the festivities just the same, but you may count me in on this expedition!" He'd always had a soft spot for money, it was perhaps the third, maybe second most important thing to him. If Habbas's promises were true, he'd have more than enough for him and his boys to live comfortably, at least for awhile. They could take it easy for the rest of their lives.

But a job like this could prove to be more trouble than it was worth. He didn't know a soul present, not really. There was no trust between them, and it did make him antsy. There was always the possibility of betrayal, or being stiffed in the end, but the risks would far outweigh the rewards. Plus, he always did want to travel. His activities had always been more local, never reaching too far out from his home, and he bounced from job to job just to stay afloat, living from score to score. This could be just as much of a vacation as it was a job for him.

"I will most assuredly partake in the wine and dancing ,but I will be here in two days." He only needed to inform his crew, then he'd be set to go.

A PRIVATE STUDY

The old man could not help the twinge of guilt that welled in him at Razin's angry, chastised face. She left promptly, and Habbas' eyes trailed her, unreadable.

Children. A blessing, yes - but a thorn in the flesh.

Some were making ready to leave. Habbas snapped his focus to them. "You are all welcome to stay, finish your meals, and take a walk about the compound. Happy Huvarshta.

"Come, Hama." The man had begun to rise from the table with the others, and Habbas rose with him. "Stay and chat awhile. Mila will be happy to see you."

Hama was quick to turn to Habbas, and he nodded, giving a brief and polite wave to the others as he trailed his kinsmen. He strode alongside the master of the house, and his natural caution again made itself known.

"So you truly do have Ananias' Square. Allah save us," he muttered under his breath. However he did have an air of excitement around him as familiar halls breezed past. "How did you solve it?"

"With some help...and a fresh pair of eyes. Naudar, my scribe, helped me solve the piece that we have. It was in Sumerian, a language I must confess I am very poorly educated in. But Naudar spotted a word of interest that helped break it. Come, I will show you now, but ah -"

Habbas' eyes slid towards Hama's own. He wasn't a silly man by any means, but there was a glint of amusement in those brooding orbs of his.

"Forgive my earlier discretion, cousin, but I do not know those strangers yet. And should they decline to commit to this expedition...well. One could hardly have the wrong information falling into the wrong ears."

The sound of laughter and noise could be heard distantly down the hall, the main living quarters of the compound waiting from the other end. But instead of continuing on, Habbas guided his younger cousin to the left, ducking into a room off the colorful tiles.

The private study did much to exude Habbas' own innate qualities. Dark mahogany wood served as the progenitor for which shelves, a desk, and chairs had been borne from. Thick, and at times aged looking books lined the wall, and the professor's desk was covered with a map of the Empire. Ignoring all this, Habbas went around to the other side of the desk, opening a drawer on its side

"This is the piece we have so far…"

In his hand was produced a rolled sheet of papyrus. Carefully, wrinkled hands smoothed the ancient document across the map. Sumerian script was scrawled across the surface in metered lines, and across the borders marched with incessant design the tiny image of spiders spinning down on a strand. Arachnids - the chosen form of Ananias.

They glowed unnaturally amongst the text.

Habbas' gaze was intent on Hama.

"I received this from our financier four months ago. Before I was commissioned by the Shah's Order."

Hama's hand had come to rub his face with almost bewildered excitement. This— this made the prospect real. Ananias' Square, in front of him. In front of him! He approached to take a look himself.

"Sumerian… is also not my forte… wait, what do you mean? You said that the Captain of the Guard commissioned you," Hama said, the words catching up with his reeling mind. He looked up at Habbas' with a raised eyebrow.

"So he is not the one paying this trip. He is merely riding the opportunity to curry favor. Typical politics," he sighed. "Who, then, is funding us? Truly, it would be a fortune."

It was hard to say the kinds of traps and pitfalls that awaited them, and that was before they even reached the tomb.

Habbas looked askance. Even in the seclusion of the study, he still peered about the enclosed space, as if expecting shadowed spies to be found lurking in the corners at any given moment.

"I know him only from his letters. A member of Sigil, as you and I are. 'Phineas', as he calls himself. Though I have yet to meet him in person, he sends letters - and funds - quite regularly. He shares the same academic interests as we do."

His fingers flitted against the aged papyrus, flattening uneven spots and bumps.

"Attracting the endorsement of the captain was his idea. A ploy to gain leniency for some of our more illegitimate members...though why we must have them, I still do not know.

"In any case," the older man sighed, "We have what so few who have pursued this treasure before have never had before. It is imperative that we keep this information in the most private of confidences."

The younger man nodded with all due seriousness. This person - the name seemed Greek to his ears, but was no doubt a pseudonym - had gone to great lengths to maintain their secrecy. While to more urbane types the pursuit of knowledge did not seem nearly so important, Mohamed could understand that thirst to know.

"You know I will exercise discretion. Though, I was under the impression that you had picked our members this time. Knowing that another directed you does make me leery. Your judgment, I trust. A rich man whose neck is not under the blade…?"

He grimaced and bobbed his head in a vacillating motion.

"Not that I would renege, just… some of them worry me."

"I share the same concerns," Habbas agreed, frowning. "But this man has long been of aid to me, and I trust his judgment. Still - we will keep an eye on the less savory characters."

The magnetic glint of the god's embellished spiders shone through still as Habbas rolled up the papyrus, once again stowing it in its resting place.

"Come, we can speak more on this later. Mila is preparing a fine meal for us this evening, and I insist you stay and dine with us."

He paused, his thick eyebrows raising minutely.

"Hama, you have met my youngest daughter, Manu, haven't you? Perhaps you can...sit next to her."

Hama looked sidelong to Habbas. Oh— oh no. How to politely but firmly— and it was already too late, the man suggesting his youngest daughter.

"Er, Habbas, you know, I wouldn't want to impose."

Already he was making for the door, in the hopes he could manage to make it out while fending off any marriage proposals. It was like trying to keep food out of the mouths of hyenas — as soon as he turned one way, another was snapping at his heels. What a curse it was, to be unwed and in the prime of life!

Like a lion sensing escaping prey, Habbas seized the man's arm in a "friendly" hold, steering him into the hall.

"Now, now. I insist. I am sure you two will find much in common -"

This was a gambit he'd patiently been playing at. For Hama was a handsome, eligible bachelor. And his daughter would not lose such a bounty to some overworked matchmaker and some rich man's double-chinned brat.

"Just to say hello," Habbas pleaded, though his grip suggested otherwise. Was that a smile curling under that long beard of his? "She is already twenty, did you know? And she looks so beautiful now, much like her mother…"

And away down the hall the two went. The captor and his victim.

A collab with @Doctor Jax

Alim Arslan Yafir

The Shah has elected to 'ignore' their pasts for this little fanfare. Alim didn't know whether to laugh or to vomit - either the Shah is desperate enough to allow someone like himself to embark on this little ego-boosting picnic, or the Shah has truly lost touch with the reality he was put in charge of, coddled inside his palace surrounded by concubines and Headmen (if there even was a difference between the two). Alim mulled this snippet of information over as he sat, nearly motionless in the corner of a bustling buffet table - the food could obviously be poisoned, didn't these people know that?!

He remained silent as he glanced over the rest of this motley crew, eyes falling on the individuals as they spoke out. The sweet-toothed scholar answered his question, though it wasn't nearly enough to sate his curiosity. It is true that a crypt brings horrors and traps aplenty, but did every decent adventurer and trap specialist in Isfahan just suddenly die of the plague? On the surface, the hiring of a career criminal for muscle and trickery makes sense, but given this trip's particular financier, Alim could feel more danger lurking beneath. The Shah might want the whole party dead... or the trip might actually be that dangerous, and some of his ties could be of use. For once, he admits that he is blinded by his own paranoia.

The Lion Aspect was more predictable. To Alim, Aspect clan members were a reliable source of both danger and aid: In his homeland of Turkey, Alim used their hatred of common society to recruit them as good muscle and extra workers in his slum operations (it's amazing what you can make an Aspect do when you treat them with basic decency); Arabic and Persian Aspects however were barely different from their human counterparts, often posing more of a threat to his schemes with their nature. This particular Lion Aspect was yet to reveal himself as the former or the latter, instead sticking to himself for now. He took the bait soon enough - good meat can do that to a Lion.

The free-haired girl, Razin, took her leave after a verbal backhand from her dear-old daddy (Boo hoo, being a rebel has consequences, who knew.) She voiced her affirmation for going on the trip still, but took her leave immediately after. She may have been as subtle as a brick, but at least a brick had a better temperament - if the scholar boy is right about bandits and criminals in the way, Razin's fiery temper could net a fiery end for the rest of the party. She either has to wise up or shut up - for the sake of his ears, Alim hoped it would be the latter. His eyes trailed the woman as she left through the gate, still enthralled by her open locks of hair. Being raised in a Turkish household, he was not yet acquainted to women letting their heads go uncovered - at least, not in respectable establishments.

The winged boy was also tamed by the food, and lured into the expedition. A Bird Aspect, from his experience and observations - his little stunt entrance where he scaled the building was too much for even the most athletic of humans, and no amount of covering-up could hide the clawed hands reaching out for food. Alim saw what he thought was a spark of hope or excitement in his eyes as he accepted the expedition offer. If the feathered-one could offer more than surprise heart attacks, Alim would be more comfortable with him onboard.

The Puntling woman, now that's a real big threat - not just because she's big enough to snap him in half. He hadn't seen one up until now, and as such, he knows not what he should expect from her kind. Up until now, she had been dangerously silent, giving no hints as to her personality or motives. She agreed to join, coupled with some vague desire to see her homeland and travel, the same vapid shit Alim would spout every time some overly-curious inspector inquired about his motives for traveling to and from missions. He would have to keep an eye on this one, lest... something happen, he doesn't know yet.

The fancifully-dressed outspoken man was obviously enticed by the money - who could have possibly saw that coming. To Alim, it confirmed that this man was most likely putting up a front of wealth to blend in with the locals, seeking more wealth to maintain the illusion of having wealth - a hustler, willing to delve into crime but not deep enough to lose touch with his civilian side. Maybe that's all. Maybe that's just a convenient cover for a preying Headman assigned to this team - or to him personally (because Alim is obviously so important!). Alim and his knives will await this man eagerly if- no, when the time comes.

All in all, the whole party is throwing in. The Shah financing this automatically makes this a dubious hack-job with great risk of death or execution for him personally. However, his little tree of rebellion is flickering, heaving its last breaths. A choice needed to be made if he wanted to see his father's will avenged, Aysel deposed and the Shah destroyed. If this expedition was just bait for the Headmen to draw him out, then this was damn good bait - and maybe he will be the one fish they cannot catch. He can take care of himself.

"I'm in. I'll see you at the gates when you go." With that, Alim simply stood up and walked out of the Habbas household, intent on looking for a comfortable hideout spot either in the slums or on the city outskirts, whichever place can keep him out of the Headmen's eyes.

The Night's End...

As the light of the sun bled away from the evening sky, it filtered down, the city of Isfahan becoming wholly aglow in thousands upon thousands of lights.

The stars glittered upon the iridescent surfaces. Dancing, singing, and the bombastic music of sitars and Persian drums filled the romantic twilight as the men, women, and children took to the streets in celebration of Huvarshta. Workers who tried in vain to flagrantly persist in their duties were quickly sussed out; a young maidservant with her laundry was quickly shooed away to the festivities by her mistress. There in the square, a blacksmith trying discreetly to finish his metalwork was rudely swept up in the dancing crowd.

For the Al-Farsi household, the fervor was present - but subdued. Habbas had begrudgingly allowed his daughter Fatima to bring her family over to celebrate. Somehow Farraj, his oldest, had caught wind and bore down upon the compound with the full weight of his wife, her brothers and sisters, his parents in law, and of course, his children. Allah alone knew Habbas would not have been able to handle all of five of his married children's families at once.

It was four full hours before Habbas could properly expel the mayhem that was his children. Hama had managed to escape his noose before he could properly tie him to Manu, and the beautiful girl herself - soft, sensitive creature she was - had gone to her room early on. With the last of his relatives leaving, Habbas left their main dining hall, seeking out the one face he'd been thinking of all night.

The East Wing had once burgeoned with life with seven children running amok down its stately halls. Now it held it in its place a matured quiet. Only two of his children remained, and in the rare moments his grandchildren did not return to play amongst the colored tiles, one could enjoy a measured peace in the long walk towards the remaining rooms.

Razin's room was the last door on the left. Habbas strayed towards it, his eyes drifting towards Manu's closed door. He spied light filtering from underneath, and he clicked his tongue disapprovingly.

Daughters.

His knuckles rapped against Razin's door concisely.

"Razin? May I come in?" He asked - already entering.

"N-!" came the reply. Too late, the father's authority bypassing the daughter's will, at least insofar as it concerned his house.

It was a fair sized room, as large as any of the others in which the Al-Farsi family found their rest. A window, or perhaps more appropriately a portal, as deep as the floor and as high as the generous ceiling, opened to a personal courtyard, divided now by a thin curtain of linen.

Yet for its size, Razin had chosen to keep the room fairly bare. Nor, indeed, did she seem to have gathered much in the way of decor. Her bed lay in the corner nearest the window, with little else besides a wardrobe, a chest, and a table to accompany it. A chime hung from the window, and it tinkled happily.

Razin had stood at her father's entrance, the short stool she sat upon tipped over in her haste to do so.

"Er, mm," she stuttered, looking past him briefly. "Yes, Abba?"

"Do you have a moment?" Habbas asked. There was a certain redundancy in inquiring so; he would speak with her irregardless.

She looked at her bed briefly before turning again to look at him. There was a weariness, an impatience, in her eyes. As if she knew good and well why Habbas was there. Bending, she straightened the stool, gestured to it, and sat on the bed, legs crossed and fingers interlaced in her lap. The chimes went quiet.

Slowly, Habbas sat, sighing as he did. He placed his hands on both his knees, staring with undivided attention at Razin.

"Thank you. For hosting our guests in my absence, even without knowing what our event was for. I was hoping to speak with you tonight on any questions you may have had.

"And," Habbas brows turned up, a spark of life in his dark brown eyes, "I was more confident than I ought to have been that you would keep your doubts to private talks between us."

Measuring her emotion and controlling her face were two traits Razin was most certainly not known for. At the gratitude, her expression relaxed, though it quickly shifted through impatience and even anger before settling on reluctant humility.

"I said nothing I oughtn't. Nothing to-"

She fell silent, her eyes turning away. Give her the directed anger, a shout, a violent word. That, she could match, and happily. But this gentle correction? Her stomach twisted.

"I do not regret the things I said, but perhaps I do the manner and timing. You have been- unnaturally kind, given circumstances, both here and for all our time together. I do not wish to be ungrateful." Razin stood and then knelt before placing her forehead on the ground. "I asked it once, dishonestly and angrily. Now I ask it before you and Mother Earth herself: forgive me, Habbas Al-Farsi."

A low chuckle filled the air.

"Am I the Sultan now? Come now-"

Razin was raised up by the shoulders. Kneeling himself on the floor, Habbas patted her cheeks affectionately, his stern eyes abruptly softened.

"Allah alone knows how much trouble you've been. But such is the nature of things, hm? It's alright."

"And you call me difficult."

The tension in the air was gone, and Razin's meekness had dissipated like the cloud before a gale. She brushed off his hands, an insincere scowl leading to a good-natured wry grin.

"Ah, but you know about the nature of things, mm?" She chuckled before standing, only to sit on her bed. "Come. This was not a visit of chastisement only, was it? I've never known you to have less than a half hour's worth of words."

"Yes. Yes..."

Back was her usual fire. Habbas grunted as he stood, his joints protesting angrily at the speed of his ascent.

"There are some things I did not say to the others that you must know. The knowledge that sits at Siturehkun..."

He paused as he sat beside her.

"That knowledge there. Razin. It directly pertains to you."

--------------------------

Elsewhere, the festival had gone ignored entirely.

Russet hues married together with the black of encroaching night. The painted clouds swirled darkly, portending rain, and the scant men on the harbor's crowded slats moved quickly like rats across shadows.

Cargo ships docked at all hours of the night. Though most had arrived by sunset, it was not strange to see the lone ship heading into port, an equally lone man waiting patiently on the dock. He stood still, silent, though the lantern he held aloft at his waist trembled lightly. The hull of the ship sidled up alongside him, and no sooner had the gangway lowered than the crew began to spill down it, no doubt eager to find solid footing once more.

The man accosted them immediately.

"Do you have it?"

The "you" in question was not immediately identifiable. The sea-beleaguered men streamed towards and around the man, most not giving the finely dressed man more than a passing glance or a scoff. But a few lingered, and one in particular returned the man's gaze defiantly.

"Nice to see you too," one of the sailors retorted. He was a tall, lanky twig of a man, though the dangerous glint to his eyes conveyed that he was not to be trifled with. "Where are your manners, Shazzar? I thought you Persians were supposed to be good this week."

Shazzar grit his teeth, clearly wanting to argue. "Hello, captain. Do you have it?"

"'Do you have it?'" The captain mocked. "Puh. 'Course I do."

But the captain did not budge, and neither did the muscular men on either side of him. Shazzar nearly danced with agitation as he threw a bag of gold their way. The captain caught it immediately, grinning. One tooth glinted gold in the lantern's light. With a click of his tongue, the swarthy gentleman to his left went back onto the ship below deck, Shazzar's eyes clinging to him. Moments later he resurfaced, a sack over one shoulder and a crate in the other.

"Is that-"

"You gave me a list. I got what's on the list." The sailor dropped the sack and crate down roughly before Shazzar's feet, and he made to tear the lid off.

"No, no." Shazzar hurriedly stopped him, his weathered features blanching. "I don't need proof. I believe you." Indeed, the smell of blood and rotting flesh was strong enough to seep through the wooden slats and turn one's stomach. To the sack, he merely kicked it, satisfied when he heard the subtle synchronous shift of paper - and the muted hiss of a snake.

"Keep the crate. Return it to Egypt, to the south of the divide."

The scraggly man gaped at him. "Do you know how many throats I had to slit just to get this?"

"Then slit some more. I need this back soon, else all is lost."

Shazzar hoisted the sack in his hands, careful not to hold it too close to his body. A slow, careful smile bloomed across his face as he reflected on his bounty, the bones of his plan falling perfectly into line.

Now they would see what power the empire truly held.

Last edited:

Bazaar Unrest

It seemed that Isfahan truly never slept.

Two nights of rampant partying, and the Persians quite impossibly seemed even more energized. The streets were more crowded than ever, with a robust influx of tourists helping to constrain a city already chock full of people. The bazaar was a mass of bodies, and merchants chomped at the bit to sell, the prospect of foreigner's coins in their hands making them more aggressive than normal. The city had gotten so congested that the city guards had decided to close the gates for the day: no man or woman would be allowed in or out until the end of the festival.

It bode trouble for their expedition. And trouble - when the opportunity presented itself - often came in threes.

There was a disturbance in the city square. Sitting directly between the Upper and Middle districts of wealth in Isfahan, the great square held the capital's bastion of trade, a massive bazaar that stretched its tents and booths around its wide perimeter. One traveling to and fro across the city was forced to traverse it, and so those seeking out the Al-Farsi home could not miss it.

Protests were rare in Isfahan. Those with grievances to air against the shah and the Empire never got far, and the more aggressive would-be rebels found themselves the recipients of a friendly visit from the Shah's men.

Still. There were enough strangers in the square to draw a large enough crowd for the man on his pedestal.

"We come here to celebrate peace and good will, and what do we get in return? Captivity!" The man shook his fist as he spoke, his face contorted with rage. "How long shall we stand for this tyranny? How long will we let the faceless shah reign over us like a god?"

The audience was growing thicker by the second, dense enough to entirely block the road to the Upper District. Unnoticed by the crowd, an increasing number of guards were swelling along the rim in response, their eyes coldly watching the peaking unrest of the natives. Their leader sniffed arrogantly. As the man yelled and his oblivious followers crowed in agreement, the military commander gave the order: start making arrests.

Indiscriminately.

Slowly, they began to advance on the crowd, flinty stares seizing upon anyone who happened to be nearby - guilty or not.

------------------------

Habbas Al-Farsi was missing.

Mila was not one to panic. She was not the sort of woman who needed to track every single movement of their husband. But Habbas had been gone from bed by the time she'd woken up, and the servants had not seen him since the night before. Surely, then, he had gone to take care of some business but…

With such a long journey starting that day, surely the Habbas she knew would have said something to her beforehand.

And even with such thoughts and reasoning, Mila still did not worry. Until she checked her husband's private study.

"Razin, come quickly."

She hadn't wanted to disturb Manu. Razin had always been more strong-willed, more independent, and it was she who she pulled down the hall, hurriedly rushing towards the ajar door to her father's study.

"Look, look at this -" Mila's voice was pinched with worry. "Razin, what -"

The stately, orderly fashion in which his study had been designed had been destroyed. Books had been ripped from the shelves and thrown on the floor, and the map that once laid across the desk lay torn and in pieces, as if someone had snatched upon it and tried to wrestle it from another's grasp. The drawer that had held the piece of Ananias Square was open.

And empty.

"Razin, have you seen your father?"

Hey y'all! It's time to get this journey started. But first, you have to get through this ridiculous protest. Feel free to be creative in your escapes and/or team up! The goal is Habbas' house. pls don't get arrested.

Last edited:
ENAYA

After virtually hurling himself into Habbas' mysterious expedition, no questions asked, Enaya couldn't help but be diminutively disconcerted with himself. It was his mistake to have arrived on an empty stomach, chiefly after returning from a drawn out hunting trip where he got little to no rest. So understandably, when the savory, delectable scent of the tenderly cooked and well seasoned, juicy variety of meats wafted underneath his nose, he could hardly discipline himself. His guttural instinct had kicked itself into gear, and he couldn't have bothered to use a knife like a civil human being. Enaya really wished he'd have had the mindfulness to pick up and use his utensils.

For the two days following the evening he left the grounds of his propositioner, all he could bring himself to do was surface more and more questions.

How long was this quest expected to take?

How closely would everyone be traveling together? He was a Lion Aspect, sure, but he was not fond of traveling amongst others. And as he remembered, there were quite a few diverse characters sat around that dining table.
On the subject of being within close range, did anyone plan as far as sleeping arrangements? Until he trusted at least one person, he did not plan on so much as blinking under their watch.​

He needn't ask of the possible dangers of where they planned to go, to retrieve the crown of a long fallen tyrant. It made him think back to his own culture's mythologies, and the gods they worshipped and followed by. Was this all just a goose chase? Enaya valued his time. Every day he spent not hunting and selling his prime kill and furs, he was wasting precious income. How he hoped this wouldn't be a wrongful use of his time.
He guessed that the Shah himself might even go mad over the harbinger of power and wealth that is Xerxes' crown. But Enaya was not here to run some fool's errand. And as for those he decided to recruit, while he could understand his own invitation, he didn't find the others very promising. All he could foresee was trouble, and yet he still-

"Naya," rasped the gentle voice of an elder woman, peering around the corner of a dimly lit hallway. The flickering light of the furnace Enaya sat in front of danced over her sharp features, highlighting her pronounced cheekbones and the white, circular pattern tattooed down the wide bridge of her nose and her chin, continuing all the way down her neck until it divided into four branches that curved around her breasts and reconnected once more at her navel. Her clothing covered only the most important areas, everything else was open and decorated to be viewed and marveled by others.

"ᵂᶦˡˡ ʸᵒᵘ ᵈᶦⁿᵉ ʷᶦᵗʰ ᵘˢˀ"
"Tha deipnísete mazí mas?" she asked, her eyebrows arched in concern. She stepped closer to Enaya and joined him on the floor, laying her head against his shoulder. Her lengthy, thick, well-maintained dreadlocks fell over his arm, tickling him a bit. Her hairs were beginning to grey, but other than the intentional white tips of her hair, the rest was jet black.The deep, rich tones of her skin contrasted drastically against Enaya's paler color. "Werthame na fáme mazí sou, peristéri mou."
"ᵂᵉ ᶜᵃᵐᵉ ᵗᵒ ᵉᵃᵗ ʷᶦᵗʰ ʸᵒᵘ, ᵐʸ ᵈᵒᵛᵉ•"​

Enaya pushed his thoughts of Habbas and the others to the back of his mind. He couldn't mention any of this to her. Well, not in specific detail. But she always knew when something was troubling him, and just as every mother, she was rather nosy. He leaned his head on hers, closing his eyes. He sucked in a deep breath through his nose and let it out in the form of an exasperated sigh.

"ᴹᵃᵐᵃ"
"Mamá," Enaya breathed, thinking hard. She brought him comfort and soothing, but right now he needed her wisdom. He leaned away from her and met her burning golden hues with his icy blues, his brow stern. Her face was expectant, waiting for Enaya to ask her whatever it is he needed her input for. He looked into her face, then switched his gaze away from her. "Mou dóthike i efkairía na kerdíso mia polý sovarí antamoiví. Perilamvánei állous ... xéreis pós niótho pou vrískomai kontá se anthrópous. To déchtika ídi, allá tóra den eímai tóso sígouros."
"ᴵ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵇᵉᵉⁿ ᵍᶦᵛᵉⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜʰᵃⁿᶜᵉ ᵗᵒ ᵉᵃʳⁿ ᵃ ᵛᵉʳʸ ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ ʳᵉʷᵃʳᵈ• ᴵᵗ ᶦⁿᵛᵒˡᵛᵉˢ ᵒᵗʰᵉʳˢ••• ʸᵒᵘ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ʰᵒʷ ᴵ ᶠᵉᵉˡ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ᵇᵉᶦⁿᵍ ᵃʳᵒᵘⁿᵈ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ• ᴵ ᵃᶜᶜᵉᵖᵗᵉᵈ ᵃˡʳᵉᵃᵈʸ, ᵇᵘᵗ ⁿᵒʷ ᴵ ᵃᵐ ⁿᵒᵗ ˢᵒ ˢᵘʳᵉ•"

Enaya's mother, her name was Sanura, concentrated her eyes on her son for a moment, then looked to the fire burning before them. The logs crackled and and split, sending a burst of glowing embers into the air. It wasn't often Enaya spoke so many words to her, so she knew that he must have been seriously considering the matter. She wanted to ask the risks of the situation, but she held her tongue. Better not to narrow in on negatives just yet.

"Whatever you decide to do, Naya," Sanura continued in English, her Greek accent playing heavily on her pronunciation, "I know you will be great. This, you can be sure of."

Enaya wanted to tease her and dismiss her words, telling her she could only say such things because she was his mother. But he considered her feelings and the meaning behind the simplicity of what she had expressed. So instead, he hugged his mother with one arm, then helped her to her feet.

"ᴸᵉᵗ'ˢ ᵉᵃᵗ"
"As fáme," Enaya suggested lightly, guiding Sanura to the dining room. "Tha stenachoriómoun na do to fagitó sas na kryónei."
"ᴵ ʷᵒᵘˡᵈ ᵇᵉ ˢᵃᵈ ᵗᵒ ˢᵉᵉ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶠᵒᵒᵈ ᵍᵉᵗ ᶜᵒˡᵈ•"

It was time to return to the Al-Farsi property, and Enaya was ready with everything he needed, which was everything he would normally bring on a long hunting trip. He already said his goodbyes, though he wasn't much of a sentimental person. He was prepared to face every danger, confident that he would return home. After all, who had tracking and hunting skills like he did? Nobody came immediately to mind.

Enaya's hair whipped against his face in the harsher-than-usual breeze. He clicked his tongue, quickly turning to face the breeze so that he may more easily tie back his white locks. The wind was desperate today, and as it blew against Enaya in the direction he needed to travel in, he couldn't help but become paranoid that Gaia herself was telling him to turn back. But that was ridiculous. He reassured himself that the weather was just a coincidence. Travelling further into the city of Isfahan, though, he began to believe his paranoia wasn't paranoia after all.

Enaya couldn't help but be drawn to the commotion, though he preferred to avoid heavy crowds like the one plugging the square. But, like a moth to a flame, he found himself having gravitated right into outer crust of it all. Enaya barely had a chance to understand what it was all about before rough and forcible hands gripped his elbows, attempting to force him into a kneeling position. Now, had his long, brown overcoat not been covering his tail, he was almost positive these men would not have attempted such a useless method of restraint.

The Aspect's first instinct was to swing his arm forward, nearly throwing the guard off of his feet as he broke free of his grasp. The man looked at him, stunned, but realization dawned upon him in record time. Then, finally, he glared at Enaya with that burning, discriminating hatred he was all too familiar with. Enaya snarled, bewildered. He leg-swept the second guard that had hold of his left arm, knocking him onto his rear. He wanted to question them as to why they had attacked him so suddenly and what he had done to warrant such behavior, but he never got the chance. A third man came from behind, attempting to hold a scimitar to his neck, but his choice was a poor one. Enaya's claws sunk into the guard's shoulders purely out of defensive instinct, drawing out a guttural groan from the depths of the man's throat. Enaya flipped him over, slamming him on the ground with more force than he intended to use. It was clear by the manner in which the guard gripped his shoulder that Enaya had dislodged it.

His heart pounded in his throat, realizing what he had just done. More guards gathered around him now, making him the focus of their seize order. Enaya shook his head. He didn't understand what this was about- was this a set up? Why? Why would anyone go out of their way to treat him to a dinner, fill his head with the prospect of great fortune, then attack him in the middle of the square? It didn't make sense, so that couldn't be it.

He was beginning to feel trapped as more of the military men narrowed in on him. He didn't want to make things worse by injuring any more of them. However, judging by the hateful glares they gave him, Enaya understood immediately that they had no intention of treating him as an innocent, much less a human being. He looked between all of them and the crowd of innocent citizens. The crowd was too thick to run through. Maybe, if he had inherited immense strength like his mother, he could have plowed his way through them all. There was only one way for him to escape this threat.

On the outside of the crowd, which still continued to jam up the roadways like a badly clogged drain, a deafening shockwave erupted through the blockage, affecting hundreds of the gathered people. They clasped their hands over their ears as they rang painfully, spreading panic upon realizing they could no longer hear anything around them.
Created by Jenamos

Last edited:
Alim Arslan Yafir & Errol Demir

The day to embark on the expedition quickly befell them. With the bright sun high in the sky, it signaled that the time for doubts or wary queries had long since passed. Now was the time for action.

With a dark woven hood pulled tightly over his head, Errol left the abandoned building he had resided in the last few weeks. Although the dilapidated structure was one of the few places he could rest his head, with his crumbling constitution it would not be sorely missed. In fact, with the promises that were made, he hoped that he would never again have to live in such squalor again.

As he scurried onto the street, he kept his head low while blending in with the other pedestrians. His steps ebbed and flowed with the crowd, taking extra caution not to draw any undue attention. Though, with the congestion along every footpath, it made moving unnoticed an easy task.

While he drew closer to the bazaar, the usual shouts from persistent merchants that usually filled the air, were muffled by cheers. Errol climbed atop a pallet to get a better look, only to discover the presence of a protest brewing. As he climbed back down and paused a moment in thought, wondering if he should avoid the bazaar, and take an alternate route.

Alim emerged from the shadows of an alleyway, eyes darting around as always. He'd spent the last two days living in the backroom of a former 'associate' in the slums - he was less than happy to find Alim alive and knocking on his door for refuge, especially in the wake of that unsuccessful uprising. The man was waiting near the gates right before they closed on him, which gave Alim no choice but to seek out Habbas' house like the others. His alias as Aysar the Talkative, a humble mute servant, was rather useful when avoiding authorities and nosey civilians passing by.

Well, 'mute', until he saw Errol alongside him.

When Errol spotted a familiar face in the crowd, swift steps through the dense crowd brought him towards Alim. With a tentative hand, he patted the other on the back. "Sir?" He spoke in a hushed voice. "We meet again it seems." Errol shifted his hood, allowing the other to get a better look at his face.

The ardent criminal spoke up in hushed whispers, his hand narrowly concealing a knife. He would've given Errol a dagger to the throat for his troubles if the bird-man were a city guard, but quick eyes stayed the blade, and the Lion's posture relaxed - relatively. "Don't sneak up on me like that. You know what's going on up ahead?"

The glint of the dagger caught Errol's gaze as he hastily took a step back. "My mistake…" It appeared that although they had similar goals, it would do him well to keep the other at a distance. When the blade disappeared, the youth hesitantly turned to face the crowd. "Some kind of protest." The words hinted at his annoyance. "It's drawing some dangerous attention." With a glance to the side, Errol subtly pointed out a trio of guards advancing towards the center of the bazaar.

Protest, now that's a word that stuck out to Alim. To the Alim of older times, it was a ripe opportunity both to rile up the local population and give the law enforcers a run for their money; a source of multiple flashpoints from many actors, setting the stage for a disaster of city-ending proportions if the fires are fanned just right by an artist of madness such as himself. But this was not the Alim of older times, who sought out city officials to murder at night and corrupt officials to bribe and exploit. This was an Alim without friends in high places, and also an Alim avoiding trouble. Right now, the protest was an obstacle for him and Errol.

Or was it? It need not be. Alim turned back to Errol, with a curious, sinister smile on his face. "Say, I hear you Birds are pretty quick. Your hands also go that fast?"

Errol's eyes narrowed at Alim's comment. Despite going out of his way to hide his aspect traits, it seemed that the other somehow discovered the truth. Although an uneasy feeling began to grow inside of him, he pushed it aside for the moment. "The swiftness of my hands are unrivaled," He announced proudly, playfully puffing out his chest.

Alim responded with glee. "Then let's make some profit." With that, he grabbed Errol as gently as possible by the shoulders, and marched with intent toward the bumbling group of civilians.

Getting through the perimeter was easy enough - Alim had developed an eye for guard patterns and behavior - and the duo snuck through beneath the armpit of a businessman being outraged at a guard's arrest attempt. Twisting and turning through the crowd, the veteran beast took care in handling the delicate beastman like a hawk looking out for her hatchling; anyone light enough to shove was shoved, anyone too heavy to shove was circumvented and dodged, with Alim's left arm firmly wrapped around Errol's shoulder.

Errol stuck close to Alim, letting the man guide them through the crowd. In such a congested place, it wouldn't be hard for someone like Errol to get shoved to the ground. As he felt the arm on his shoulder, it was almost reassuring. As they moved through the crowd, Errol got to work on proving his words to be true. With each abrupt shove, Errol was able to use the abrupt contact to steal jewelry right off their arms. With each unassuming figure they passed, his nimble fingers expertly retrieved the bag of coin from their pockets. It was almost too easy, like taking candy from a baby. All thanks to the man distracting the many onlookers.

They had almost made it through the rowdy congregation when the arrests were being made more obvious - the guards moved faster, their patience made thinner by the crowd, who had been stirred into even more of a fervor by their radicalizing orator up top (who was doing a lousy job, Alim might add). The sea of men and women soon became more agitated as the sharks closed in for the kill, and the minnow tried to save themselves. "We need to move faster."

The sudden eruption of chaos amongst the crowd meant that their task had become enveloped with danger. As screams of anger and panic echoed around them, Errol felt his own heart rate rise. Alim on the other hand kept his cool - a panicked head breeds only stupid ideas. The duo began shoving their way through more aggressively, with intent behind every movement. There was but a quarter of the way to go, and-

And then they both went fucking deaf. Something, or someone, had just deafened the entire bazaar with a screech or an explosion or something, it feels like. Alim thanked the gods they'd pushed through that area before the noise - but cursed the gods again as the guards on this end became violent in response. Thinking quickly, the man kicked a nearby blacksmith in the ass, shoving him at the nearest guard before making a mad dash in the slipstream of the victim's beatdown and arrest.

The thunderous explosion stopped Errol dead in his tracks, covering his sensitive ears as the noise pierced his eardrums. His feathers ruffled under his cloak, and his flight response quickly kicked in. His head was still spinning, and he was suddenly thankful to have Alim by his side as he led them away from the violence.

Alim covered the lower half of his face with part of his turban cloth just before they appeared. As they breached the outer rim of defenses, the duo laid their eyes on the pandemonium of the crowd's border: resisting men and women beaten to the ground regardless of status and age; new reinforcements arriving to take suspects away with their necks pressured by service truncheons; the crying and yelling of citizens on the ground with hands on their heads, experiencing the long arm of the law firsthand and getting a mouthful of dirt in the process. All pretense of secrecy and innocence was forfeited, and the pair ran like hell. Errol's innate swiftness allowed him to keep pace with Alim, his feet moving over the ground as if he were gliding.

The first few guards taking care of the apprehended suspects were caught unaware by the renegades, calling out futile orders like 'Stop them!' or 'Halt!' or some such. By the time anyone could react, the two of them had made it halfway across the perimeter, indiscriminately stomping on arrested people as they crossed. Yelps, whimpers and angered yells followed Alim's heavy footfalls, but when did he care? A reinforcing guard tried to tackle one of them - Alim reached at a nearby market stall and gave the lawman a raw taste of food pallet to the neck.

As they reached proper buildings, another pair of enterprising 'protectors' attempted to grab both of them at the same time. Alim roughly pushed Errol aside, physically indicating that it's time to 'split' - Errol understood the signal. One of the guards' eyes followed the bird to the side, and Alim utilized that split second to lean into the other guard's embrace, giving him a knee right to the royal jewels between his legs.

The other guard managed to swing right back and grab Alim by his left hand, and began swinging at his head with a truncheon. Taking the blows with no grace at all, Alim's free arm reached into his pockets - fingers grasping his knives - and drew them for the kill. Or at least he would've, if it weren't for the fact that his employer will be embarking from a guarded gate checkpoint, a task that would be made more difficult with a dead city guard and a dirtied blade - plus, they hadn't even seen his face yet. Content in this knowledge, Alim swung at the guard with the butt of the knife instead, finding meaty purchase in the lawman's eye socket before running away, as the vice grip loosened in pain. With luck, the guard will see out of that eye by the month's end - or at all.

As Errol ran away from the scene his head drew over his shoulder to watch. The quickness that his feet once had was subdued, as he waited to see if the other was able to get away. As he saw Alim fighting the guards, he nearly turned back to help. However, with the final blow dealt to the guards eye, he was able to leave with the peace of mind that he wasn't abandoning Alim.

Alim continued running like hell towards Habbas' house. Once he arrived, he would enter, same as before. Errol, likewise, sprinted towards Habbas's compound with every ounce of energy he had. As the shouts and cries of the bazaar faded with distance, the youth refused to slow his pace until he was through the large gates.

Mila Al-Farsi did not panic. Her family knew her as steady and unerring, a foundation of love and strength that Habbas regularly fell upon as he dealt with his plethora of concerns, Razin's restraint not least. The family matron was unwaveringly calm at all times, and hurry was never a concept associated with her.

So when Razin heard her mother urge her to come with haste, the young woman practically sprinted, taking corners at speeds excessively unsafe. Indeed, it was likely only her delicate, lightweight frame that kept her from spilling across the floor as she floated about each curve.

"Umi?! What is it?!"

The words were hardly out of her mouth before Mila was dragging her through the house. Her mother's grip was tight, telling Razin far more about what her mother felt than her stoic expression did. Only when they arrived at Habbas' study did Mila's expression crack, as did her voice as she turned troubled eyes to her daughter. Her hand trembled as she released Razin.

Mila was worried.

Rarely does a reasonable woman find cause to do so, yet it was justified. Razin stared at the chaos before them. Trouble, likely her trouble, had descended upon the Al-Farsi family, and Habbas was the first victim.

But no. As Razin rooted through the wreckage, shifting about weightlessly as she examined the damage, her eye was drawn to the drawer. The drawer. Where Habbas kept- It had been locked, hadn't it? Secured against this very eventuality? Hadn't she watched him lock it, or was that just a trick of memory?

This is as safe a place as I can manage, he'd said. The Ananias Square had been deftly hidden, so that even her quick glance saw little. Please, keep an eye on it.

Again, she'd been the cause of his consternation. Again, she'd put his family at risk.

Concern filled her brow, and it weighed down heavily. From within its shadow, her gaze fell to the floor. The edges of each map piece danced minutely as she crouched down to examine them, the parchment torn and worried by the violence that beset it not too long before. Curious: why should someone want it? And why should the owner, likely Habbas, fight for its retention so aggressively? Her fingers began shifting the bits about, the puzzle that the disparate divisions created taking form but slowly before her. Mila was, for now, forgotten; Razin saw only the map, the best indicator that she had as to why Habbas was missing.

The luster of Isfahan was beginning to wear thin for Asra.

Eyes that just a few days ago had looked upon the city's glittering architecture with the wonder of a child and the hunger of a beggar, now barely spared a glance for the sights of the city. The puntling had started to sour on this hive of humanity. She was tired of the endless walls blocking the horizon, the constant noise that kept her from sleep, the very people who filled the streets and crowded around her. Asra yearned for the empty loneliness that could only be found where people weren't. For the wonders of nature that made this city seem like a childs crude mud construction. She longed, as she often had for as long as she could remember, to be somewhere else. Anywhere else.

But, she had given her word that she would stay a little longer. Even if agha Al-Farsi hadn't offered her adventure to soothe the urge, the fear that pushed her ever onwards, the bond of a promise given alone would have been enough to keep her in the city. So she had passed the days trying to enjoy the festivities while visions of the world she had yet to see floated across her mind.

One of the problems with visions of the mind, however, is that they tend to blur the visions of the eyes. Asra moved through the city almost in a daze. The currents of people buffeted her to and through like a stick on the ocean waves. It wasn't until the puntlings feet stopped because she bumped into the back of a small crowd gathered around a man on a pedestal, that the scales of her day dreams fell from her eyes.

Her first instinct was to turn and go somewhere else, but something about the man's anger, their fervour, piqued her curiosity. She hadn't noticed that she was a captive in the city, but this figure on the pedestal was insistent that she was; that all of them were. Around Asra, people muttered and nodded their heads, while all the while, the size grew. In an instant, the existential boredom lifted from the puntling's spirit as her eyes flicked back and forth, almost rhythmically from the man to the crowd as she watched how the speaker's words affected the common folk of the city.

Asra's eyes were still doing this little dance when suddenly she felt hands grapes both her wrists. Looking down made blue eyes open wide with shock as the puntling saw two armored men, both with weapons on their hip staring back at her.

"Wha-"

The half word tumbled drunkenly out of Asra's mouth and was met with a tightening of the grip on her wrists.

"In the name of the Shah, you are under arrest for sedition, Puntling"

It was the taller of the two men who has seized Asra that spoke. They barely came up to the puntlings chest, but they spoke with authority and invoked the name of the city's ruler. Asra had be brought up to respect authority, and the authority of the Shah was similar to the authority of a clan leader back on Punt. It was not to be ignored. Ignoring it would be a bad thing to do. If she had done something wrong, Asra knew she had to face the consequences.

"As you say."

Asra's voice was surprisingly diminutive in capitulation. All around people were turning to stare at her. She could feel her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

"Look here."

The taller of the guards scowled at the rest of the crowd.

"See how even an outsider like this Puntling knows to respect the wor-"

Whatever the man was saying was lost as a deafening noise exploded across the square, trampling all other sounds underfoot as it raced to escape its source. Instinctively, Asra's hands flew to her ears in a vain effort to spare them the assault. It was only when after nearly a dozen heartbeats the Puntling opened her eyes again that she realized her mistake. Both guards had their swords leveled at her as blood trickled down faces twisted with anger and pain. Primal fear gripped Asra and all notions of good and bad were banished from her mind. She had to flee.

In one fluid motion, Asra spun on her heels and began to run as fast as she could. A few members of the crowd were sent flying, but a path quickly opened up as the rest of the crowd's survival instincts surfaced. There was shouting from behind her but Asra ignored it, putting every ounce of her being into each step.

It was actually a very short chase. Despite her relative size and visibility, the guards soon lost track of their quarry. Not only was Asra not weighed down by the equipment that they were, each one of the puntling's strides was worth two or even three of their own. Also, the guards lacked the gifts of the giants that all children of Punt are blessed with, and they knew it. Despite the injuries they had received at the outsiders hand, they gave up the chase at the second corner. There were easier folk to arrest. Besides how would a puntling hide for long in the city.

Of course, Asra knew none of this, she ran full speed through the twisting streets of Ishafan until her random path brought her near to the Al-Farsi house. It was the only sanctuary she could think of. The plan was to leave the city soon. Perhaps if she explained the situation, her employer would let her hide in their compound till then. Of course, she couldn't use the front gate in case someone saw her. She couldn't carelessly bring that kind of trouble down upon the man who would perhaps be her savior. Fortunately, she had spied how another of the party guests had made their entrance.

The tree at the side of the compound bent and groaned protests under Asra's weight, but it gave the puntling enough height to get her hands atop the compound wall. That was all the puntling needed to slowly pull herself up to the top of the wall, and then much less slowly fall down its other side, landing with a heavy thud.

It took Asra a long time to stand up as her body received both from the fall and the excretion of her flight from the square. When she did make it back to her feet, she was a mess of sweat and dirt that some cursory wipes with the edge of her clothes did nothing to help.

"Agha Al-Farsi."

Despite the absurdity of it, Asra tried to both shout and whisper for her employer at the same time.

"Agha Al-Farsi, it is Asra. I must speak to you."​

Mohamed Ibn-Sina

Huvarshta passed in festive joy. Before long, he was ferried home, Manu having retired to her room before the after-party could begin. The following days were spent with his mother, mentioning his distant kin in a bid to... stem questions, and she had given him a knowing smile... and continued to ask ever more particular inquiries.

Mothers. Ah, but she was worried she would never see her son's happiness, the blessing of a true household, grandchildren. Could he blame her? Instead, he talked of his sudden departure on another escapade with Habbas.

It was this last conversation that remained on his mind as he left their - more modest - home to journey to the city gates from the Middle District. The way was congested far more than usual with people of every color, standing, and gender as he took the market road, through the square, out the other side. He was jostled to and fro by the crowds, his hands on his bag underneath a traveling robe to deter pickpockets. Abruptly, near the edge of the crowd, he saw a familiar waving hand, and he walked towards it with an amused, if perplexed, look on his face.

"There you are, youngster! I figured you were leaving the city, you've got your travel get-up on," a croaking voice stated, a man who looked remarkably like a toad sitting on top of a stack of crates among an array of woven bags, baskets, and other containers at his stall.

"Yes, another trip out. Looks like you've had some good business, Arman."

"Never better, since they've locked the city gates. Too congested, and that means people keep buying stuff, and all that stuff's gotta be carried in something..." Arman stated with a wide, gap-toothed grin. However, Hama's expression had turned to one of concern.

"The gate's closed? That's a bit of a setback. I'm supposed to leave today," Hama muttered to himself, looking back.

"We-heh-hellll, you won't be heading anywhere just yet. You've got time to peruse! You'll probably be looking to get a new bag before too long, Hama, seeing as you're -- ah, and there he goes."

The doctor was already headed back the other way. He hated this sort of thing. He liked having an itinerary and keeping to it, especially with such a diverse group. How was Habbas to keep an eye on everyone? He would probably be in the market square, knowing they all had to come through there.

But a quick circle of the market showed he wasn't. Hama's brow furrowed. This wasn't like Habbas to be so sloppy. It made him immediately uneasy, as he skirted the crowd around the man on his proverbial soapbox, ranting about the power of the Shah. Momentarily, he was distracted by his impassioned speech to the onlookers, and he huffed under his breath in disbelief. The Shah is more a rooster in a cage, let out to fight the next contender when there's money to be made. But the men who own the rooster...

Abruptly, as if summoned, Isfahan guards began to encroach, and the hairs on the back of his neck began to stand. With such outspoken dissent, no wonder. His eyes sharpened upon one as they took hold of a member of the crowd, and he realized too late that the crowd had shuffled him deeper in as he'd listened to the leader preach. People began to panic, a throng of fish in a net, a mass of cloth and limbs closing in. Guards were picking off anyone they could grab, and Hama gritted his teeth as he was headed towards them, willing or not.

I'm about to be arrested.

And then, like the booming of a cannon, there was a great roar as if from heaven. The throng exploded into a mob, people scattering and falling over themselves to escape, jostling and pushing. In the fray, Hama managed to break free, until he heard someone yell out in pain behind him. He spun, seeing a young man on the ground, his face bloodied and cradling his wrist, the crowd threatening to trample him. He changed tack, fighting the crowd, shoving back the way he'd come.

"Sir! Sir, take my hand, you need to stand, you'll be trampled!"

Just as Hama pulled him to his feet, the man dizzy, a hand gripped his shoulder, and he pulled away, turning to see his assailant. A guard with a thick beard leered at him, a snarl on his face, truncheon at the ready.

"You're under arrest by order of the Shah--"

"Hold on, hold on, I am a doctor with the University's Bimaristan. This man is injured, and he needs medical attention," Hama interrupted, fished into his robe, and the guard's eyes narrowed in suspicion. He pulled out a cylinder seal of quartz, inscribed around with the Isfahan University name and insignia, an olive branch and wheat branch crossing over a simurgh, and the guard's eyes flickered between it and the stone-eyed man. Finally, he motioned for him to continue.

Hama quickly examined the man before he closed his eyes, focusing. The injury was recent, and that was an advantage. He was probably concussed, if his dazed expression said anything. The wrist, it was only sprained and would heal without his help, but his head... A finger circumscribed the wound, a golden light tracking its path, before connecting to the start, and with a glow, the skin was healed and the man's eyes were brighter, his stance surer. The guard now seemed thoroughly convinced, looking at Hama with something akin to awe - maybe fear. A doctor of the university, and an Endowed... Not a man to arrest lightly.

With that, the guard stepped aside and muttered his right to take leave, and Hama huffed, nodding his head. He double-checked his sudden patient, before just as abruptly leaving him, speeding towards Habbas' house and away from the crowds, guilt beginning to nag as he realized more could be injured... but alas, there might be time yet, and his fellows at the University would see to them. Through the streets he wound, and at least he stopped at the gate, looking in. He sighed with relief, seeing the Puntling inside already. Apparently he was not the only one who thought to come here.

"Ma'am... Ma'am! Could you let me in? I need to speak to Habbas," Hama asked, looking far more bedraggled now after his tussle in the square.

@Kuno @Applo

THE AL-FARSI'S

There were not only cities and landmarks on the map Razin painstakingly pieced back together. Scrawled ink graced the surface in certain sections; her father's handwriting, neat and precise, crossing over mountains and hills in small notations. Most of it was rudimentary: tiny notes about places there, arrows about safe pathways over here, a comment or two on the weather, the trade…

By the end of her puzzlework, some changes were made immediately evident. Fresh black ink had been spilled - intentionally or not - across a section of Egypt, blotting out yet another of Habbas' notes. A few words escaped from the mess, a sentence forever unfinished: - per rasps, unattainable otherwise. Seek out ------------------- she with no name. Witch? The pieces of map encompassing Turkey were gone entirely, stolen away. Tehran and Cairo had been erased from their respective places. Something else had been written fairly within the Mediterranean Sea. A giant X with the words "CURSE" beside.

It was not her father's handwriting.

"Razin!"

Like a whirlwind, her younger sister burst into the study. Manu's eyes were already rimmed with tears; someone must have unfortunately told the emotional girl the news.

"R-Razin, what are you doing? They said Abba is missing!" She cried. "What does that mean? Where could he have even gone?"

----------------------------------

Outside, voices called to one another. Following their mistress's panic, the guards of the compound had been swept up into a frenzy of activity. They were to search every corner of that estate: the rooms, the halls, the storage, and...Allah forbid, the pool. Mila, for all her rising panic, did not so much as raise her voice as she issued her orders.

But the arrival of her husband's guests took her from the search. She followed one of the guards to the courtyard, her composure visibly smoothing as she noted figures among the palm fronds.

"Good morning to you," She said to the two men before her. In spite of the circumstances, her smile was welcoming, her eyes warm. "I am Mila Al-Farsi, Habbas' wife. I am honored to meet you both. My hu-"

Voices at the gate gave her pause. Her eyes darted frantically ahead, looking for her husband. But no - another man she could not yet identify, and near was...a very, very tall blue woman. Her mind could scarcely remember the word Puntling. At her soft command, the guard detached from her side towards them to give entry.

"Apologies. I was saying that my husband has…" Her throat was dry. She cleared it, trying again. "My husband finds himself, eh, detained this morning. He should be with us shortly."

Her gaze flitted from one to the other, a fragile smile remaining on her lips.

"Would you like some refreshments while you wait?"

"Hush, Nârâhat!"

Her poor sister. A sympathy, or indeed an empathy, uncharacteristic of Razin, entered eyes as her glance turned toward Manu. There was a reason, after all, that Mila had come to her instead of the family's youngest; she was a gentle spirit, a caretaker and a nurturer. The embodiment of Gaia herself. And like Mother Earth, she was all emotion, leaving no room for reasonable consideration. The cold of detached logic chilled Razin's expression, and she turned back to her study.

"Abba is missing, Nârâhat. Since- well. Umi didn't say, but I'd guess some time early this morning, as the Sun still slept." A sneer twisted her mouth. "Allah damn Mah for his laziness; his crescent face should have seen it happen.

"Allah damn the stars, while I'm at it. They are giving me no inspiration in this deciphering."

The map, or rather Habbas' notes on it, were apparently a stream of consciousness. To her quick and admittedly clumsy reading, as is the wont of someone who, despite their insistence otherwise, is dreadfully concerned for someone, every notation he'd made had been without connection to any other. It was, to all appearances, a travel guide designed by one who traveled constantly for business. A fair assumption, given the man's occupation.

It was not the information present that indicated the value of the map, but rather perhaps what was missing. Turkey, Tehran, and Cairo were utterly absent, and Egypt was drowned beneath a sea of ink.

"'She with no name'," Razin muttered to herself, ignoring both her sister's pleas to action and the approaching man-servant bearing news of the arrival of the household's guests. A witch, it seemed. And Habbas intended to- find her? A safer choice, no doubt, than visiting the sea. The woman needed no warning of a curse to know that the Mediterranean held violently dangerous beasts.

"Razin! We- the guests. Umi is- we have guests."

Manu's tears finally broke through Razin's study. Guests. Of course. They were arriving, just as they'd been instructed. And now they must be welcomed. And Habbas' absence excused, lest dishonor descend on the Al-Farsi house. So Razin nodded, waving to man-servant and Manu both in perhaps a more dismissive manner than she intended.

"Go, Nârâhat. I shall be right behind." The parchment needed to be bound back together, but she had responsibilities as the eldest child still in her father's house. She rooted through the debris, seeking a long piece of cured leather, so often used to protect the very parchment that had been damaged. Finally, she found it; it was in the desk, as if the map had been removed to be examined before the attack happened. Grabbing a jar of resin, she went to work. A few minutes later, the pieces had been glued to the inside of the leather. After dusting the front with ash to ensure the resin didn't stick on the map's face, she closed the leather across its front. Securing it under her arm, Razin made quickly for the house's entry, pausing only briefly to obtain her staff from her room.

"Ah! You are all very early." She approached Mila from her left, and as she made eye contact, she gave a minute shake of her head before looking back to the others and stepping toward them. "Can the servants fetch you refreshments, perhaps? 'Empty stomachs are a distraction; feed the belly, and your mind will not be vacant', or something. Some sage or other. Abba is always-

Razin paused, a gentle cough from her mother enough to silence her.

"Apologies, Umi. I overstepped."

And she likewise moved back, giving her Mila the forefront.

• Spicy
Reactions: MiharuAya and Kuno
ENAYA
The panic that erupted through the crowd was enough distraction for Enaya to escape the men who had been so set on arresting him. He cared not to look back at them all lying on the ground and covering their ringing, bleeding ears. He pushed his way past scrambling citizens, who were now clueless, temporarily deafened, and scared that any turn they make would lead to their demise. He felt guilty, but he couldn't risk being taken in. He was innocent, after all... Well, he had been before he decided to resist arrest.

A figure of noticeably larger stature and distinctive coloration caught his eye as she flew past, her long legs carrying her easily out of his view just as fast as she'd entered it. His hair didn't even have time to settle from the blast of air she left in her wake. Enaya pivoted on his heels and followed her path, for he knew exactly where she would be headed: The Al-Farsi residence. It had been his destination before the streets of Isfahan became an obstacle. How he hated being surrounded by so many others.

The Puntling woman was too fast for him, as well. Once she turned a corner, Enaya lost track of her, but it didn't matter. He didn't need a map to find his way back to Habbas's house, much less a guide. Not only could he smell the familiar scent of the other guests that had arrived at the residence two days prior, but he had a great memory when it came to retracing his steps. It didn't take long for the Aspect to arrive back at the front gate of the Al-Farsis, refusing to show a sign of being out of breath. His heart raced and his hair was dampened with his sweat, so he took a minute to breathe deeply and get his thoughts straight.

Enaya walked past the guard at the gate, his tail flickering with thought. Ahead, he heard the voice of Habbas' wife, Mila, explain that he would be in their company shortly. Though, it was rather easy for him to tell she wasn't positive when exactly he would arrive. This gave Enaya a chilling sensation. He wondered if the Gods were again trying to communicate with him, using the mass of the crowd and the Shah's men as an attempt to tell Enaya to return home to his mitéra.

When Razin spoke again of refreshments, seemingly echoing her mother, the leftover adrenaline that continued to course through Enaya's veins caused him to quickly lose his patience.

Enaya's tail whipped the ground, his eyes trained sharply on Razin. A low snarl rumbled deep in his throat as he rashly opened his mouth to reject their offer, his Greek dialect playing heavily on his chosen words.

"I don't know if you are aware of what's going on in the city Square, but I hardly think that now is the time for light small talk and refreshments," he chastised, using his pants to wipe off the dried blood on his claws. He turned his gaze to Mila, his eyes hardly softening for her. "The timing is urgent- Those who are not being trampled under all of the panic in the streets are being arrested by guardsmen without any reasoning."

He took a moment to look at everyone in the courtyard, though the moment was very brief before he returned his gaze back to Mila and Razin.

"Do you not know where your sýzygos is? Your husband?"
Created by Jenamos

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kuno
Alim Arslan Yafir

This day couldn't get any better, could it?

Alim was still huffing and puffing from the run after the door guard had let him inside. The adrenaline of the chase has worn off, leaving his battered body to deal with fatigue: his lungs felt the flame of the Saharan sands at noon, and each new breath reminded him of that time he hid from guards in a blacksmith's shop; his legs wobbled and waned beneath his own immaculate weight, and his arms struggled to fix his disheveled robes. That said, he still attempted a facade of coolness once in the presence of ladies - the dispassionate gleam in his eyes were betrayed only by the stifled sighs following every breath.

Others managed to make it to the Al-Farsi household soon after his entry - he could barely recall their facial features and characteristics, but perhaps that is just the tiredness messing with him. His host's wife was courting the group, a lovely lady with blue eyes sticking to his soul - eyes that, before she approached them proper, had the mark of a frenzied animal worked up over... something. Alim's sixth sense (nonexistent, most likely just his peripheral vision and keen ears, but don't tell him that) noticed the hurrying of the guards around the perimeter, looking for something - or someone. Of course, if he had actually bothered to listen more closely, he would've learned of Habbas' absence before Mila had said 'detained'.

And then another figure arrived next to Habbas' wife, and Alim's confusion was supplemented with an annoying headache called Razin Al-Farsi. Her smarmy confidence grates on his patience, and her tendency to go on unnecessary tirades compelled him to start tapping his toes incessantly, waiting for her to finally shut up - or for her mother to silence her, that works too. This set off conflicting alarm bells in Alim's own mind: one bell alerted him of Habbas' unusual, likely malevolent absence - why would he, or anyone else, want to interfere with this expedition? To Alim, these were the usual signs that he'd bitten off more than he could chew. Another alarm bell warned him of Razin's extreme negligence - her father had just gone missing, and she was still here mouthing off about refreshments?! She is either absent-minded to a dangerous degree, or well-rehearsed in the art of suppressing emotions and lying - both very bad traits to tackle in a traveling companion. Or just a regular companion.

The Lion Aspect near him had a shorter fuse, and Alim was alerted to his anger only when the lion's tail slapped vigorously against the floor. The veteran insurgent eyed up the lion-man, noticing the blood on his paws and the sharp teeth bared against the daughter - maybe he was the one who gave off the deafening yell at the crowd earlier. If you hadn't roared like that, everyone would've gotten through the crowd easily - typical Aspects. Regardless, Alim needed to throw in with the Lion - the sooner they can locate Habbas, the sooner they can get the hell out of here.

"He is right. The refreshments will wait - who has detained your husband? When did you notice his absence? Were there any traces he left behind, anywhere at all?" He became visibly animated in his barrage of questions, and his fatigue had been readily forgotten.

• Spicy
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: A Crow and Kuno