INTEREST CHECK Orcs & Elves ally against greater threat?

Lady Sabine

The Legendary Sabine-Toothed-Tiger
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Preferred Character Gender
Genres
Fantasy is number one. Steampunk, sci-fi, alternate history, and everything else that isn't boringly realistic are also fine by me.
So, here's what I'm thinking.
The Orcs have a smallish continent pretty much to themselves. It's a fairly nice place, good climate, plenty of resources, that sort of thing. So Orcish society centers in the foothills of their mountain range, where they plant crops, raise sheep & goats, and mine the hills for iron & mithril. Great city-states they call Strongholds emerge, and culture flourishes. Then, suddenly, the Age of Elves dawns, and from across the sea come Elven ships, there to declare all land they discover property of the Empire of Silthador. Needless to say, this goes over poorly with the locals, who are well-armed and many in number, and so throw back the invaders with ease, and more or less forget about Elves for the next few hundred years.
Meanwhile, in the flourishing empire, magic is what makes the world go round. No one is anyone until they've gone to an academy of magic, joined either the House of the Sun or the House of the Moon, and proven themselves a great mage. Through their tampering, climate change begins to affect the world, and a heat wave that will last generations hits both continents.
To the Elves, this means warmer winters and longer summers, and general happiness. The Orcs, however, suddenly find that their summer rains are now falling in the winter as snow. This poses a fairly large problem, since their entire agricultural system relies pretty heavily on those summer rains. Their society disintegrates as stronghold fights stronghold, and in a few generations Orc society turns nomadic, as they wander the plains for food and only return home to winter over.
Meanwhile, the Elven search for greater magical power gets them into trouble. A lot of trouble. With a portal opening to a demonic plane. The Empire collapses almost overnight, and many of the survivors pile onto ships, landing on the shores of the Orc's continent, again.
Here the Elves are divided. The House of the Sun, hotheaded and brash, assert that with the Orcs having lost much of their metalworking and population, would be an easy conquest and they could re-establish their empire in this new land. The House of the Sun preaches moderation, though, and states that a war of conquest against the Orcs would do more harm than good- rather, they suggest, the Orcs could be a useful army against the demonic threat, which they fear will not be far behind.
Orcs are not exactly cohesive either. The War Chiefs want to reclaim the glory of their forefathers, and drive back the invader threat. The Shamans have seen the disruption in nature, and fear for the world itself- an alliance with the Elves could be the only way to save themselves.

This is still totally rough and a first draft. I'd love to get at least one other person, maybe two, who will help me build this world and develop this plot fully. I wouldn't be at all opposed to having humans, Dwarves, or some other race enter the picture, or even the Demons themselves.
Anyways, post away if you have any interest or ideas!

• Love
Reactions: IceChateau777
I am interested, but I also see that medieval setting going on in your RPs, Sabine.
I would have added the Lamias or something of that sort. Either way, I would be glad to contribute as a co-GM for said game.

I'm sorry, what about the medieval setting? O.o I'm easily confused tonight.

Lamias are a possibility, but I'd need a good way to weave them into the sociopolitical situation. XD

I'm sorry, what about the medieval setting? O.o I'm easily confused tonight.

Lamias are a possibility, but I'd need a good way to weave them into the sociopolitical situation. XD
Sociopolitical... Ah, yes.
I take it that you're a fan of mixing up politics with the fictional races?

Sorry, screw my Aspergers.

But Maybe the lamias could be strictly isolationist and do not want to be involved in any kind of imperial conquest. The lamias, which are "snake people" would hold their political meetings in an uninhabitable part of the land. How about Naming certain Nations? Or adding certain places to the nations--based on the information you have propagated into said idea(s).
Nation 1~The House of the Sun (Solaris)
Nation 2~The House of the Moon (Lunatis)
Nation 3~The House of Darkness (Oyamis)
Nation 4~The Bamboo Curtains (The Lamias/Aphoptis)

Those were possible names of the nations.

Or more like... the states within one continent (possibley called Solphonya or even Dharmis Empire, or maybe i'm just tired and I need sleep.) :lol:

Last edited:
Well, yes. Most of this plot is political; the demonic threat is merely a impetus for the international friction.

The Orcs are a nation-state. Think the Cherokee nation, for example. While they have land, their identity as a cohesive group is based on race and culture, not on living on a set group of land or honoring any one ruling body. While there are connected groups based on the Stronghold they retreat to for the winter, they are more or less free of any government larger than the petty chieftains.
The Elves are a democratic monarchy. The Empire is ruled by an Emperor or Empress, who is elected from and by the two Houses, membership in one of which is required for citizenship. It wouldn't really make sense to have the two Houses have individual countries, as membership is voluntary, not hereditary or required, or separated by geography.

And they're not within one continent. I'm sorry if I was vague on that point. The Orcs have resided on their own continent for thousands of years; the Elves are native to an entirely different one and have just arrived within the past days.

As for the Lamias, I think it would be a moot point to have a second group resisting imperial conquest. I'd really want them to add something new and different to the plot- while I'm not opposed to some vague Lamia nation on an island or something, from which a few characters could come, including them on a large scale wouldn't have any real advantage other than adding a third party repeating what the Orcs are already saying.

Well, yes. Most of this plot is political; the demonic threat is merely a impetus for the international friction.

The Orcs are a nation-state. Think the Cherokee nation, for example. While they have land, their identity as a cohesive group is based on race and culture, not on living on a set group of land or honoring any one ruling body. While there are connected groups based on the Stronghold they retreat to for the winter, they are more or less free of any government larger than the petty chieftains.
The Elves are a democratic monarchy. The Empire is ruled by an Emperor or Empress, who is elected from and by the two Houses, membership in one of which is required for citizenship. It wouldn't really make sense to have the two Houses have individual countries, as membership is voluntary, not hereditary or required, or separated by geography.

And they're not within one continent. I'm sorry if I was vague on that point. The Orcs have resided on their own continent for thousands of years; the Elves are native to an entirely different one and have just arrived within the past days.

As for the Lamias, I think it would be a moot point to have a second group resisting imperial conquest. I'd really want them to add something new and different to the plot- while I'm not opposed to some vague Lamia nation on an island or something, from which a few characters could come, including them on a large scale wouldn't have any real advantage other than adding a third party repeating what the Orcs are already saying.
THERE WAS A SECOND HOUSE AVOIDING CONQUEST?
Well do you think the Lamias having different views or living near a place where they fight with whatever they want.

Well, yes, there was a house somewhat opposed to conquest as well. The House of the Moon is arguing that instead of waging war against the Orcs, they wage war beside the Orcs.

As for the Lamias, if you can find a way where they really add something to the plot I'm fine with it, but I don't really want to have extra races just for the sake of having extras.

• Thank You
Understandable.
How about adding the Lamias with the Humans or demons, in where the Orcs decide to thrash their land for their skin (?)
I was thinking about how the Indians moved westward in the 1830s America.

Or maybe the House of the Sun would have sided with the Lamias to protect their territory? I apologize if I do not have a vast knowledge about imperial history.

I really don't see the House of the Sun, ruthless expansionists and all, siding with the Lamias over the exact same issue they're advocating war with the Orcs for. As for them being another enemy of the Orcs, it's plausible, but idk if it would really add much to the original plot; it's an interesting subplot but I don't like launching into a subplot right off the bat. Really, unless we can pretty directly tie them in with the current events, I'd rather not have them at all- or if you can find a few other people who want to play them. But since they're uncommon in the genre, I don't want you having to represent an entire national interest all by yourself.

I really don't see the House of the Sun, ruthless expansionists and all, siding with the Lamias over the exact same issue they're advocating war with the Orcs for. As for them being another enemy of the Orcs, it's plausible, but idk if it would really add much to the original plot; it's an interesting subplot but I don't like launching into a subplot right off the bat. Really, unless we can pretty directly tie them in with the current events, I'd rather not have them at all- or if you can find a few other people who want to play them. But since they're uncommon in the genre, I don't want you having to represent an entire national interest all by yourself.
By the way, would you like to present any other ideas?
I don't know too much about how the government is set up, but how about a prime reason about why they're fighting the Lamias and the demons?
Maybe the Lamias and the Demons could pair up or others trying to migrate and trying to go for national unity?
But since I garnered interest, maybe you can educate me about the type of monarchy/government they have. I could have had that Lamia nation be Communist or some other constitutional government.

I'm thinking that the Elves & Orcs will meet and decide to work together. To seal a truce down the road, a few key marriage pacts will be signed and a leadership structure will be developed. Perhaps after they begin to establish a setup, they send word to the old continent that an anti-demonic league is being formed, and invite others to join them from their ravaged home, bringing in a slow train of refugees fleeing the demonic apocalypse visited on the old world. Perhaps lead by a group of paladins?
Or, on a similar note, Angels arrive a bit belatedly, seeking war against their ancient foe. They could see the other races of the world as allies... or obstacles.

I'm not really opposed to a Lamia-Demonic alliance; problem is, how would the characters involved in that alliance interact with characters on the other side? It would be like having two separate roleplays, the characters of which sometimes fight for a little while. If you can come up with a situation where there's some real interaction between the Demons/Lamias and the Elves/Orcs, that could be a good way to insert the other alliance.

Communism isn't much of a system without mechanization and mass production but I suppose, if we have Lamias, communism could work with enough tweaking. As for the Elves (I do presume you're asking about the Elves?) their system is fairly simple.
Elves are not born with the right of citizenship. Rather, they are born subjects of the Emperor. In order to become Citizens, they must display great skill, usually magical, and be accepted into one of the two Houses. Member of the Houses are considered citizens, and gain the right to vote on all democratic matters. Generally speaking, a vote will be held regarding policies that directly affect the emperor (so he can't give himself more power), morality and rights in times of peace (to make sure the citizens agree with the direction the legislature is going), and whether or not to go engage in large-scale international affairs (wars, defensive pacts, that sort of thing). The Emperor is the supreme leader in wartime, and commands the military, taxation, and most other major systems. His power is checked by the citizen vote, but they are not equal partners- as opposed to, say, England, where the monarch is ceremonial and a representative system takes care of the real business.

• Thank You
I cannot thank you enough, Sabine.
And I think that's a great idea, actually.

I believe that the best way to establish some form of "imperialism" (quoted because the Lamia race would most likely use the forest as a method of technology in lieu of using metal, but perhaps they may rely on the demons to make imperialistic armor in the case of a conquest. The skin the Lamias shed are natural resources used for pelts and/or other wardrobe for warmth and elasticity.

I found some info here, in this anime site (the art of seduction, bleh) or just read the Wiki about the Lamia.

Also, maybe the demons would have been part of the trade---or maybe the Lamia used to be in neutral terms with the elves (in the case of trading for snake skin and jewels hidden in the caves of the royal Lamia. Maybe that existed until the demons stole the snake skins, and the elves blame it on the Lamia, which results in the trade (and the bond) to be broken.

Well, imperialism and metalworking are totally different things... not sure what you're going for there, honestly.

Honestly, reading the info... I'm not too sure about Lamia. Namely because an all-female race would be long extinct... perhaps you could go for the more well-known and not exclusively female Naga?

As for the demons being trade partners, I don't think that would work out. In the plot I mentioned that they had been summoned through a portal and through that were invading; if they'd had a way to get to this world the entire time they probably would have started their conquest much earlier. The Elves might have been trading partners, but then the Lamia couldn't be on the same continent as the Orcs, as that would have lead to immediate conflict.
And I'm sorry, the demons stole the skins from who? And the Elves are blaming the Lamia because...? o.O

Look, really, I'm not sure if this whole Lamia thing is gonna work out. It doesn't seem like there's an easy way to incorporate them into this world.

• Thank You
Or the Echidna?
I
Well, imperialism and metalworking are totally different things... not sure what you're going for there, honestly.

Honestly, reading the info... I'm not too sure about Lamia. Namely because an all-female race would be long extinct... perhaps you could go for the more well-known and not exclusively female Naga?

As for the demons being trade partners, I don't think that would work out. In the plot I mentioned that they had been summoned through a portal and through that were invading; if they'd had a way to get to this world the entire time they probably would have started their conquest much earlier. The Elves might have been trading partners, but then the Lamia couldn't be on the same continent as the Orcs, as that would have lead to immediate conflict.
And I'm sorry, the demons stole the skins from who? And the Elves are blaming the Lamia because...? o.O

Look, really, I'm not sure if this whole Lamia thing is gonna work out. It doesn't seem like there's an easy way to incorporate them into this world.

Yep, I'm just tired again...

And I think the Naga would truly work better.
I was probably thinking that there were different species in the Lamia family, such as Dark Elves and elves are within that genus...
Or maybe nekomimi (Just kidding! why would nekomimi be there!? LOL)

But by the way, would a type of trade exist?

And I meant to ask: did the demons summon themselves or were they summoned by a higher power (Satan, etc.)?

Well, Echidna is also female, so... Naga would probably work best, if we include them at all.

Well, since I see halflings as being a thing, I'm thinking that Orcs, Elves, Humans, and most other humanoids are the same species, simply made different by isolated populations over long periods of time, and some purposeful breeding of traits. Somewhat like how all dogs are the same species, in spite of being superficially very different.
The lack of legs with snake-people, though... they would probably only be in the same genus, if even that close, and not be able to inbreed at all.

Probably no trade, as, like I just said, the Elves summoned them recently. There is definitely no Satan or a god; they're entities, not religious figures. I'm not a Christian and I don't really like incorporating Christian mythos into my roleplays due to my unfamiliarity with it.

Christian mythos... is something demonstrated in my Sins and Virtues role play (which is an academy RP off this site.) I like fiddling with religious mythos. And in the role play, I mentioned them as "two omnipotent forces"--which can be interpreted as entities.

Oriole looked down at the students, "Welcome to Rhapsody Inferno Academy. I Know this is an... unorthodox meeting place, but we are more than happy to tell you our benefits of the school. First off, I would like to have the guards lead you to the auditorium. So if you will, please line up in an orderly fashion. Before we depart, does anyone have questions?"

One boy raised his hand and asked, "Was this originally a whorehouse?"

Oriole gave an uneasy stare; whomever asked such a question in a school was probably an Earthling, she thought. "Well... evil magicians were killed here..." The eyes on her head blinked at the class. "And there was a similar Inquisition in where the Agnostics were questioned... Atheists... dissolved to the Netherworld."

Glave would then wait for the stupid kid's question to be answered before raising his hand to ask his own question. But he wouldn't exactly wait for Oriole to call on him, instead he would act as if simply raising his hand would permit him to speak. "I have a question Headmistress Huitzil. What is the point of handing us, the students, such static labels that are based on religious concepts?"

Oriole clapped her hands together. "Ah~ A wonderful question. You are all here to know about the universe. The reason why we group you into these groupings would be determined on your behavior prior to arriving to Bhava-Agra, or to this academic building. Think of the staff members as mentors, or guides, to help you reform your lives. In layman's terms, we are teaching the Doubtful that there are two, omnipotent forces that control an individual's fate. It may also put Puritan philosophy to the test. I promise to all of you, once you come here, you may find it difficult to leave. Afterwards, when a student turns 26 or meets other prerequisites, they will be required to undergo Neo Eterna."

Myrtle asked, "HEY HEY HEY HEY! MRS HUITZILL! What is Neo Eterna, by any chance? Do we get born again?!"

Oriole chuckled while she tucked her white, long hair behind her ears. "Not exactly; Neo Eterna means 'New Eternity' in Latin. During that process, everyone will be transported to Earth to socialize with the Earthlings. We call them Earthlings, because at this day and age, monsters and other mythical beings live among the human race. During Neo Eterna, you will be in a group of eight--two Sins, Two Virtues, Two staff members and Two guards. Your goal is to live life like that of an Earthling, and learn how to utilize modern-day technology."

Symphony played a little bit of chords on her harp. "Any more questions, comments or concerns before we head out?"

Glave would lower his hand as he listened to Oriole answer their questions, taking careful note of what it was that she was detailing. To a person like Glave, most of what she was explaining was no more useful then hot air, but there were a few interesting tidbits of information he did find worthwhile and worth asking about. So naturally Glave would pipe up once more to ask what he would hope to be his final question before orientation. "That's all very interesting, but you mentioned that the "doubtful" would come to understand the workings of "two omnipotent forces". So what exactly are these omnipresent forces and how would they effect us based upon these artificial labels you've given us?"

This time, Wolfgang (her husband) answered this question. "I apologize for butting in, but those omnipotent forces are called God and Satan. She just wanted to word them in the most respectful way. Given that there are different religions out there, the outcome of your participation in Rhapsody Inferno Academy will impact your destination in the afterlife."

Oriole continued his statement, "To expound on what my husband stated: If you think this is Degrassi, or another amateur school in Earthly media, you may wish to reconsider your choices and drop out. I am sorry, but Rhapsody Inferno Academy is a school for the 'gifted' and for the 'delinquents', if you would. We will reward and punish students accordingly. In rare cases, we may punish you with death if it is the only solution. To be fair, everyone will have the same schedule. Given that we have a LOT of students, we will divide the classes into groups of 56--28 per sin; and 28 per Virtue. In this school, you will be offered mundane academic courses. However, your reports will depend tremendously on your fates ahead of you. Please use your time at the academy well, and be extra careful saving your lives--or you'll be next."

Symphony cleared her throat and nodded at both Kodaira and Namine to open the doors of the lair. "All right then; if there are no questions, let us retire to the Auditorium~"

That was a co-post from my Rhapsody Inferno Academy role play, which is currently at another forum.
I must spoil the info in light of the site's privacy guidelines.

If you are interested, I will PM you the link (which is at another forum).

I believe that we have talked long enough to share some of the material I made to reflect my abilities.

Now outside of this, I would agree that there are subspecies, but How about this line-up:
Humanoids
  • Humans
  • Elves
  • dwarves
  • halflings
Orcs

Naga
  • Lamia
  • Echidna
  • Medusa
  • Apophis
  • Shirohebi
  • Anaconda...
How does that list look as of right now?

Also, I think we should call this role play "Trusted Into Chaos" or something akin to that name.

Look, really, we're getting off topic. I'm still thinking that we probably won't be including snake people at all. :/ Unless you can convince me in the next post, I think we can pretty much scrap that idea and work with what we've got.

Look, really, we're getting off topic. I'm still thinking that we probably won't be including snake people at all. :/ Unless you can convince me in the next post, I think we can pretty much scrap that idea and work with what we've got.
Oh, yeah...
But I think if you want to work with what's available, go with it.
Come to think of it, I really see no point about the snake people being as one of the many demons, nor would they be a part of their own establishment. In fact, I don't think I've provided anything more than crap. :cry:

I could have written much more on the game itself. When you said "Christian mythos", I decided to incorporate something that shows my (somewhat) high credibility. I apologize for throwing everything off.