OPINION POLL: Display an age group icon to all members in the postbit?

How do you feel about an icon that displays Under 18/Over 18 so you know who is okay to talk/play ma

• Total voters
Shouldn't this have us being automatically signed up to the appropriate age group as soon as we sign up?

Shouldn't this have us being automatically signed up to the appropriate age group as soon as we sign up?

The age groups are for the mature foums. Not all of us are interested in smut RPs and that is not the main target of Iwaku anyways.

We kind of already have something in place for this, in the form of the two sections for Mature RPs (most folk seem to be signed up for one or other groups, after all).

And if you're really concerned about the age of a member you can always, y'know, check their profile.

As it is, I'd be worried that this creates something of a stigma for our younger members, and CosmicDubyaDog's point about making it easier to single them out bears repeating.

In short, be aware that there are younger folks using this site, so don't act like a fuckwaffle in inappropriate places. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Most of life's problems can be solved by not being a fuckwaffle in inappropriate places.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally I don't think this is needed. If people are in a one x one that takes a mature turn, they can ask each other and if they can't have it moved to a mature board they can be mature enough themselves to stick to the rules if the board it's in. If it's displayed it will only segregate the community, unless it's discreet like on a person's profile and we already have the options for users to display their ages there. This is a problem that doesn't really exist since it can be solved by people talking to each other. On Iwaku we treat all people as adults and give them the opportunities and responsibilities of one, if we start visibly segregating people based on age not only would this make underage newbies butthurt some member might take this as a cue to treat younger members differently and while keeping people's ages in mind is important the idea of the magical 18 line that makes you better when you cross it is not an attitude I want to encourage. All members are given the same opportunities so it should look like that.

I know that I wouldn't like everyone knowing my age, nor would I enjoy knowing everyone's age on this site. Kind of silly why, but I think that way because it's a role-play site, and I think that my age should have nothing to do with it. I know that physical age and mental age are vastly different things. I have met some pretty dense adults in my life, and many brilliant children. When I come here I put the physical aspect of myself out and focus on my mental and creative side. Most of us don't even use are real names. That may because of safety issues, but I see it as, oh, let's call it an alter ego. And everyone on here; I don't care if the're 13 or 50, I will probably never meet them, all I want to do is role-play.

I could drag this out but that's my piece. I also agree with the "cool kids" vs. "chillens" theory. It would be school all over again.

If we wanted people to know our age, we can simply click the option to show birth date and year.