One Piece: A Sea of Endless Possibility

Avalon trudged along a few steps behind Rose and Coffret, the captain listening closely as Rose began, "Well, he's only a navigator sometimes, like when someone needs help, but everyone says he's really good at it! He doesn't have a job though, so he just sits on his butt and reads all day."

Understanding what Coffret was getting at, Avalon asked, "So, how'd he end up in a mansion?"

Rose smiled, "That's uncle Dom! Oh, Alphonse's dad. He's an adventurer! Everyone always tells stories about him and the treasures he finds, so I feel like I know him!"

Reaching the mansion, Rose slipped through the bars of the iron gate serving as an entrance to the grounds, Avalon daring to push past it, finding it unlocked. The grounds were well kept, the lawn being trim and tidy, though plain. As they reached the door, Rose waved for the two pirates to follow, and she took them in to a small entry room, with several doors. Looking around, Rose called, "Alphonse!"

As she scampered off, Avalon was about to follow, as usual, when he heard a noise from the other direction. Shaking his head, he made is way towards the door, opening it for Coffret. The room's lone occupant turned his head from the couch of the sitting room. He was tall and lanky, easily eight feet tall. His thin gold hair was long, covering his eyes, a squashed nose showing between the base of his locks. He wore a dark gray homburg hat, a white dress shirt, and brown slacks. Looking over the pair, the man said nothing, but an exaggerated, incredulous look came to his face.

"Maybe we should be looking to recruit this 'Uncle Dom' rather than some couch potato who won't lift a finger unless he's asked to and just lazes about in his dad's mansion all day..." Coffret thought to herself, but she immediately waved the idea out of her head, as it felt very inappropriate and rude.

As Rose let them into the house and Avalon opened a door to let Coffret through first, a man came into view. "I trust it I'll be the one to handle this conversation as well..." Coffret whispered to Avalon. Then, she spoke up, turning to the man.

"So, I trust it you're Rose's cousin, Alphonse? She's told us much about you. Ah, I suppose I should introduce us... I'm Coffret, and this is Avalon. I suppose I should cut right to the chase. We're here because we're looking for a navigator for our ship. Would you care to provide us with this service?"

At Coffret's bold declaration, the tall man's incredulous expression didn't fade, and he began to scratch his head, muttering, "Uh..."

"I apologi-ah," Came another voice. In a moment, someone stepped from the other side of a wall, entering the open. This man was a bit taller than Coffret, his straight, light brown hair barely reaching his ears. Black glasses sat on the bridge of his nose over his sharp, purple eyes, and he wore a light white vest over a pale yellow dress shirt with black slacks. Blinking at the new arrivals, the other man asked, "How-"

"There you are!" cried Rose as she bounded out from behind the other man. Looking around, she spot the confused looking guy on the couch, blinking, "Who're you?"

The man presumably known as Alphonse sighed, "A question I'd been meaning to ask, but one moment if you'd please." turning to the larger man, he began, "I think I can arrange something with you and your men, but I must do some more research. Shall we meet this evening?"

Standing, head getting close to the ceiling, the man in the homburg grinned, nodding, "Yeah, sounds fine. 'Sides, you look busy." Placing a hand on his hat, he made his way to Avalon and Coffret, pushing past them, glancing sideways at the girl with the pale blonde hair, before leaving.

Glancing between Rose and the two pirates, Alphonse asked, "Now, who are these people? I believe I heard the word navigator?"

Avalon opened his mouth, but Rose jumped in, "Yup! The big dumb guy is gonna be your boss and the pretty lady is gonna be your wife."

"No, on both counts," Alphonse said firmly. Narrowing his eyes, Avalon did not seem to want to give up quite yet. On the former of Rose's suggestions, of course, not the latter.

As the realization of her mistake dawned upon Coffret, she staggered backwards ever so slightly. She felt numb from embarrassment, and her cheeks flushed red.

"I, I..."

She stuttered with glazed eyes as the man in the homburg, the one she had thought was Alphonse, strolled past her. To be honest, she was glad that he wasn't Alphonse. She didn't care much for his expression earlier, or his looks in general. But then, the real Alphonse gave them a flat out no, which meant they weren't getting a navigator anyway. She was also a bit nettled over the fact that he didn't want her as his wife. Despite declining it being the only reasonable option, and she would've been more bothered had he agreed to Rose's "proposal", but there was something in the way that he responded so quickly, without even considering it.

"Well, a no is a no, I don't see why we have to prolong this any further..."

Coffret turned around and made to exit the mansion as fast as possible, trying to hide her blushing.

Reactions: Craftsdwarf
Hand shooting out, Avalon stopped Coffret, grabbing her by the shoulder lightly, muttering, "One sec."

Before he could begin, however, Rose pouted in frustration, punching Alphonse on the leg, before growling, "You didn't even think about it!"

"Of course not, I've never met them. I don't know what kind of a captain he is, and I don't know what kind of a wife she would make, nor am I particularly interested in either at the moment," Alphonse responded.

"But but but but-" Rose stammered until Alphonse silenced her with a light chop to the head.

Adjusting his glasses, the navigator took a step forwards, before beginning, "I do apologize for the trouble my little cousin has caused you. While I'm not interested, I suppose I can offer you a bit of my time: I'm not busy until evening. I'll put on some tea, if you'd like."

As he walked away, Avalon nodded, "See, all we have to do is convince him!"

Bounding over, Rose gleefully agreed, "Yeah, don't leave, miss! He might be bad with people and kinda lazy, but I know he'll-"

Before she could finish, Avalon dropped his hand, chopping her on the head. As she gave a breif whine of pain, Avalon grumbled, "And you keep quiet, you're not helping!"

Rose frowned, "I wasn't gonna say anything about a wedding or anything..." Looking aside, she sweated a bit as she insisted, "Really..."

Making a move for the couch, Avalon checked in the direction Alphonse went in before, asking, "Any ideas on how though? I'd figure he'd jump on it since he's got adventuring in his blood, but..."

Coffret sighed as she was stopped at the door. She'd like to completely forget about her blunder and disappear off the face of the island, and look for a navigator someplace else, but Avalon seemed set on recruiting Alphonse. Reluctantly, she went over to the couch.

"I don't know... He seems quite enigmatic." Coffret thought about how her image of Alphonse had changed rapidly over the course of a few minutes. "Either that, or he's very straightforward, and we simply can't see it." She turned to Rose. "Rose, is there anything you can think of that would convince your cousin to come with us? Is there anything we can tempt him with?" She looked around. "Like, if he's interested in books, I'm sure we'd come over more interesting literature elsewhere than he'd be able to get a hold of here on the island."

"He does like to read and learn things," Rose responded as Avalon took a seat next to Coffret.

Avalon nodded, "Yeah, there's probably a ton of stuff to learn on the Grand Line. I mean, there's stories and stuff, but the real thing has got to be so much more awesome." Realizing something, Avalon added, glancing at Coffret, "And that's kinda what you want to do, right? Just for plants."

A few minutes later, Alphonse returned, a tray of teacups, saucers, and a teapot in hand. As he began to hand out the drinks, Avalon began, "So, Rose was telling us about your dad. He's an adventurer right?"

"Hmph," Alphonse grunted. As he began to pour Coffret's steaming tea, he began, "Indeed. I'm not sure how it's relevant to me. If you think I have any interest in following his footsteps, then I will add that he quashed any wanderlust out of me long ago, and not for lack of trying."

Avalon frowned, "Hey, you don't know what you're missing out on."

Alphonse shrugged as he pour Avalon his tea, "I have outlets for my curiosity..."

Glancing sideways at Coffret, Avalon lightly nudged her, moments before Alphonse asked placidly, "And pray tell, do you have names?"

Thinking about possible ways to convince Alphonse to go along with them, Coffret was caught of guard when Avalon suddenly turned to her about her own motives.

"Huh? Well, yes, I suppose..."

Her voice toned down, she stared into the fireplace. Then, Alphonse entered the room once more, this time with a pot of tea on hand. Coffret thanked him as he poured her a cup, but it didn't take long for Avalon to visibly irritate him. Appreciating the aroma of the blend, she picked up on Avalon's hints, and decided to carry conversation herself.

"Yes, we do. I am Coffret Cheveauxblancs, student of botany and practitioner of herbalism. This is Avalon Bell, he's, well, the Captain of the Coal Pirates, and I also happen to be a member of his crew. So far, the only one, at that." She took a sip of tea. "I have to say, this is a very fine blend... The subtle floral hints are just enough to give the tea a pleasant aroma without becoming pungent. It's brewed at just the right temperature, and steeped not a second longer than to perfection, as well. It takes remarkable senses and knowledge about the product to prepare a cup of this quality. Ah, but I ramble." She had another sip. "Say, it must be terribly irksome to be likened to your father all the time, Alphonse. I've never met him, but from what I've heard, he seems like a remarkable man, which I'm sure people remind you of quite frequently. How frustrating, since you possess a unique set of skills on your own, which may not be as appreciated in the light of your father's. Anyway, I'm curious as to what the outlets for your curiosity you spoke of are." Taking yet another sip, Coffret looked at Alphonse with an intrigues expression.

Ah, that's how you pronounce it again, Avalon nodded mentally as Coffret introduced herself. That surname had Avalon reeling for a moment though, but he kept his mouth shut.

Alphonse poured a cup for Rose as Coffret spoke, his stern gaze fading. By the time she'd finished, he'd moved to take a seat in a nearby chair, setting the tray on a small table next to it. As he poured himself a cup, he began, "Well, thank you: there is nothing better for relaxing than a cup of tea." As Avalon did his best to swallow the steaming liquid, he silently disagreed.

Alphonse continued, "I suppose why that was why I began accustomed to navigation: my father's since of direction is laughable, and he's no doubt been going in circles for the past decade, but bringing a child on to a boat to navigate for you is preposterous: even as a child I could see that."

Rose, sitting cross legged on the ground, blew on her tea a bit before jumping in, "That sounds fun!"

Alphonse sighed, before resuming, "As for my curiosity, books and artwork are more servicable. A column of prose, a wonderful poem, or a skillful illustration are more than enough to get a view across, and frankly, tramping through mud, bugs, and beasts doesn't make it seem worth it. Besides, the Devil's Fruit are mysterious enough as it is, and no amount of exploration is going to change that."

Interest piqued, Avalon began, "The Devil Fruit? How much do you know?"

Alphonse began, "Sifting through rumor and myth is difficult at times, but their effects are observable enough. Upon eating one, the body is changed based on the Fruit eaten. Eating more than one results in the body breaking itself down with irreparable consequences. I doubt there's much we don't know about them."

Avalon asked, "Then where's that sea devil?"

Alphonse blinked, before letting out a chuckle, musing, "You can't be serious, can you?"

"How do you know that he isn't out there?" Avalon asked.

Alphonse shrugged, "Sailors trade stories all the time. The burden of proof rests with them."

Avalon was quiet for a moment, before mentioning, "So, all Fruits give powers, but have you heard of the Mock Mock Fruit?"

Alphonse stopped, lowering his teacup, before asking, "Strange, the guidebook has no mention of that one. It's resemblance?"

Avalon began, "It looked like a big orange berry, swirls on it, you know?"

Alphonse queried, "And the powers it bestowed?"

Avalon shrugged, "Nothing."

Alphonse blinked, before shaking his head, "Then it was a fake. You've been Mocked."

Avalon argued, "Yeah, by that damn devil! I could swim well before I ate it, but now I can't, and I don't have anything cool to show for it!"

Alphonse stammered, "Th-that's not possible. How can a Fruit like that exist?"

Avalon shrugged, "How am I gonna know unless I try to find out?"

Alphonse gawked for a moment, before shaking his head, "Others pointed into the right direction are more than sufficient. For example, did you know that Raddery Island in the Grand Line has supposedly been host to a family supposedly cursed by a frog demon, according to one text, but I believe it far more likely that the island possesses a Devil Fruit tree, which is being monopolized by one family to keep the Fruit to themselves. But something so simple doesn't require me to investigate: I have the means to fund an expedition there."

Avalon blinked, "Just go yourself! It's gotta be cheaper."

Alphonse scoffed, "Seasickness, the ruinous weather patterns of the Grand Line, sea monsters..."

Avalon shrugged, "You're just making it sound more fun."

As Rose giggled, Alphonse shook his head in disbelief before asking Coffret, "Surely you see that the cons vastly outweigh the pros."

Last edited:
Coffret put down her teacup, leaned back against the couch and closed her eyes, seemingly immersed in thought.

"You know, I wouldn't be quite so sure about that..."

She opened up her eyes again, with the calm expression of someone who had made up their mind.

"I think we're quite similar, you and I, but in a sense, different. I have spent a fair share of my life submerged in books, as well, but there is only so much that can be learned from literature. For example, you speak of the Devil Fruits, yet you've never heard of Avalon's supposed Mock Mock Fruit. To be honest, it's news to me as well, but that's besides the point. If the Fruit Avalon ate really was a Devil Fruit, then it means it's one that has never been heard of, nonetheless documented before. I'm sure that as a fellow scholar, the prospect of being the first to record the details of an entirely new discovery sends an indescribable excitement through your body as much as it does through mine. Wouldn't following that man around be worth it, if only for that purpose?"

She gestured at Avalon.

"And, sure, you could just pay someone to go on the expedition for you, I wouldn't blame you. I might have done the same, had I the opportunity. But still, it's not the same as going out there and finding out for yourself. You'd just hear it repeated to you from a secondary source. Doesn't being the first one to know, and to be able to decide whether to spread the information or keep it to yourself sound far more enticing? As for myself, I'd be willing to brave even the most chaotic of seas to reach my goal. Granted, I didn't think that was possible until just recently. But somehow, this strange, peculiar, odd fellow of a man..."

Once again, she gestured at Avalon.

"...Has convinced me that together, we'll be able to accomplish great feats."

Hearing herself say it out loud felt weird, but at the same time liberating, putting her trust in Avalon into words made her even more certain of her own conviction.

"I hope I'm making any sense. If you are of a different opinion, then please, feel free to stay in the comfort of your own home."

She picked the teacup back up, whispering "Delicious..." before putting her lips on the rim, drinking more of the warm beverage.

Reactions: Craftsdwarf
Adjusting his glasses, Alphonse was quiet for a moment, taking another sip of his tea beginning, "That may be an indescribably feeling for you, discovering the unknown, but I can't say I know it. My father only wanted to see that which he hadn't before, and got wealthy off of it. I saw some sights, certainly, but the risks don't seem worth it."

Avalon sighed, "Rose said you're plenty good at fighting. You'd probably handle yourself fine. And if not, that's where we come in!"

Alphonse opened his mouth to speak before blinking at Coffret, "Wait, you?" Stopping himself, he shook his head, saying, "The world is more vast than you can imagine: you can't handle any threat."

Avalon muttered, "That's kind of why we want you. For like, storms and stuff."

With a sigh, Alphonse continued, "Besides, my method is more effecient. I need not limit myself to one crew, I can effectively examine multiple things at once."

Avalon growled, "Examining what? A bunch of notes?" Scratching his head, Avalon choked down the last of his tea, before sighing, "Eh, I'm outta here." Standing up, Avalon stretched and began to head out.

Eyes widening, Rose put down her cup before crawling after him, crying out, "H-hey! Get back here! You've almost got him!" Glancing around, she gave Coffret a hopeful look as Alphonse took a quiet sip of tea.

"I can't argue with efficiency, but as far as handling any threat goes..."

Coffret flicked her wrist, and a vine shot from the ceiling, ensnaring Avalon's neck.

"What do you think would happen if I were to tighten the grip just a liiittle bit further?" She calmly asked Alphonse, while the vine made the telltale sound of stretching fiber. She stood up, slowly pacing towards Avalon. She flicked her wrist once more, and the vine around Avalon's neck retracted back into the ceiling, as though it had never been there in the first place.

"Well, Captain, looks like we weren't able to convince him after all..." She turned back towards Alphonse with a warm smile on her face. "Thanks for the tea, though. It was lovely." she said while grabbing Avalon's arm, about to leave.

Avalon's exit was halted by a snagging tendril, the pirate's eyes widening as he raised a hand to feel what had ensnared him. "Eh?" he blinked. When the vine tightened every so slightly, Avalon stammered, "H-h-h-h-hey..." One it was gone, he was able to breath easily, and not because it had constricted him. Alphonse watched with wide eyes and a gaping mouth, but Rose seemed impressed, her eyes shining.

With Coffret's goodbyes, Avalon quickly wiped away the sweat as he continued on his path. Alphonse had his eyes locked on the point where the vine had stretched from, and began to mutter, "Was it damaged? That was...not the Growth Growth Fruit, there's no seed..." With the two pirates heading out, Alphonse made his way in the other direction, Rose spitting her tongue out as he left before following Avalon and Coffret.

Making their way outside, Avalon let out a sigh as he stepped out the door, grumbling, "The dude has no guts!" Looking down at Rose, he asked, "I thought you said he could fight."

Rose brandished her arm out as she explained, "He fences! Rapier, schwing!"

Avalon rolled his eyes, sighing, "That's not real fighting..." Rubbing his forehead, Avalon turned to Coffret, before saying, "But that Fruit of yours..." Fist shaking, he couldn't help but admit, "It...it's so cool!" Clutching the sides of his head, he moaned, "I couldn't have gotten something like that instead!? Or fire or shadows or the power to make food taste better by looking at it funny or anything!"

As Avalon slumped a bit, Rose simply stared, before her cheeks puffed out in amusement, the girl squeaking out a little laughter.

Last edited:
Coffret rubbed the back of her head. "Well, thank you. I just hope I didn't overdo it in there... I thought that if he could see that we're capable of fighting, then he might be convinced, but it doesn't seem to have worked." She looked at Avalon with a mixture of amazement and disbelief. "And hey, you didn't tell me anything about having eaten a Fruit! But still... A Devil Fruit that doesn't give the user any ability other than taking away the ability to swim? It's kind of hard to believe."

Avalon's eye twitched as he admitted, "I guess if I'd fallen into the ocean it could have been bad but...it's not the kind of thing I like to talk about, you know?"

Rose giggled, "Yeah, it's really lame!"

Ignoring the piercing feeling in his chest, Avalon continued, "And what really ticks me off about it is that it was a memento! It's like the sea devil took it from me! If that bastard is still out there I'm gonna find him and kick his watery ass! But if he's anywhere it'd be the Grand Line, right? But we need a ship and a navigator..."

Rose pouted, "You guys didn't do a very good job..."

Avalon shrugged, "Maybe we'll stick around a little. Anyway, didn't that lady say something about a ship too?"

Rose nodded, "My dad! Wanna go?" As she began to bound back down the path, heading to the village, she turned to Coffret, excitement increasing as she asked, "Your power is cool though. What else can you do? How can I get one!?"

Coffret smiled at Rose's enthusiasm. "If only your cousin was as enthusiastic as you."

She held the palm of her hand up, and from it sprouted a familiar red flower.

"Here, a rose for Rose." She said while plucking it and handing it to Rose. "I have the ability to grow and control any type of plant, as long as I've examined it before. Any plant, except Devil Fruits, of course. I couldn't tell you where to find one, in my experience they seem to pop up where you least expect them to. Even if you were to find one, you might just end up with something useless, like Mr.Mock over here." She said the last part with a smirk on her face.

Smile widening even more, Rose took the rose without hesitation, taking in its scent. However, Coffret's warning about Devil Fruit stopper her in her tracks, the girl blinking, "Ah! I didn't think of that!" Looking at Avalon suspiciously, she wondered, "Will I grow horns too?"

Avalon frowned, "No, I was born with those." He felt a twinge as Rose let out a sigh of relief.

Looking at the rose again, Rose smiled, "Thanks Miss Coffret! Now come on, let's go!" Like the bundle of energy she was, Rose hopped her way back down the path, the two pirates needing to speed up their walk to keep pace. It wasn't too long when they reached the lone town of Elder Point once more. This time however, they were on the other side of the dock. Avalon could see his small boat bobbing about in the distance, but there were a few larger ships over here, including, worryingly enough, a pirate ship, its crew quiet as they lazed about, the jolly roger hard to make out on the lifted sails.

Rose, still holding on to the flower tightly, didn't seem to mind them as she continued on to the nosiest part in the city by far: another boat. This one was a bit more worn looking, the wooden frame having seen its days, the once lustrous wood stained black with time. For a brigantine vessel, it was a bit small, only having one square sail on its mainmast and a triangle on binding the mainmast and the tip of the bow, a figurehead roughly resembling a stern, bearded goat. There appeared to be a second mast on the raised deck below, but it appeared to be lowered, the tapping of hammers echoing throughout the area.

Hopping onto the lowered gangplank without hesitation, Rose called, "Dad! I found some people who want to buy the ship!"

A bit uncertain, Avalon ran his hand across the outside of the hull, noting, "Well, it seems sturdy, I guess..." Looking at the figurehead, he couldn't help but mutter, "Did it have to be a goat though?"

A few moments later, a man approached from the back of the ship. He was burly, strong jawed, and had short, light brown hair and a mustache, and orange work overalls over a blue shirt and boots. Rose's father nodded, "Oh, you two. I saw you arrive...couple hours ago, maybe? If that." Looking at the ship again, he began, "Well, she's called the Hinnon Breeze...don't ask me, I didn't know the original owner. I can't ask for much, but she's not quite seaworthy right now. A storm came through a few weeks ago and I'm only just now getting to the repairs. Ship gives me the creeps, to be honest, but its only 100 thousand beris. A new brigantine'd cost five times that at this size."

Scratching his chin, Avalon asked, "You know a lot about ships, Coffret?" He almost smiled when he realized he pronounced her name correctly.

Coffret scratched the back of her head.

"Can't really say I do, I'm afraid. It doesn't look that inviting, does it? But honestly, anything would be better than what we've got now, and as Rose's father said, it's probably the best we can do at this price."

She put her hand on her hip, and squinted at the figurehead, almost like she was having a staring contest with it. "It's your call to make, though, Captain."

"I might barely have enough, but it is a good deal..." Avalon noted. Looking at the ship again, he decided, "Let's give it a look tomorrow when the repairs are done. I want to check out the inside too, but they're probably busy."

Rose's dad laughed, "I don't blame you! And we've got things going on down there too: no clue how the tables got wrecked in that storm, but they did. Anyway take care you kids."

As her dad headed back, Rose said, "And tomorrow we can try to get Alphonse to change his mind again!"

"Easier said than done," Avalon sighed, still not sure exactly what Alphonse's deal was.

Coffret nodded. "Good call." She said to Avalon, and then waved at Rose's dad. "We will!"

She pursed her lips att the mention of Alphonse. "Maybe we need to butter him up some more... But it feels like we've done all we can as far as trying to convince him goes, anything further may just be a bother. Anyway, there are a few things I want to pick up before I head back to the ship. Rose, would you mind showing the way to the market?"