Once Upon a Time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The City Guard let him walk without chaining him, at least they let him retain some sense of dignity. As such, he was able to walk unhindered through the city streets, though many people were giving the procession odd looks. When they neared the Lord Reagent's mansion, easily twice the size of Aurea's home, the sounds of shouts filled the air, in both the Old and the Common Tongues. The City Guard was everywhere, most with crossbows in hand, though a few had swords out, threatening the throng of wild elves.

As Linnor examined the crowd, he was amazed to find that the elves gathered were a mix of everyone: city elves, the tattooed Tralk, the dark-skinned Ya'jahj, and the Hin'tio, who formed up a decent percentage of those gathered. The city elves were what surprised him the most, though he recognized a couple of them as regulars at the store. In both of the languages of the city, he heard one sentence above all: "Give us freedom!"

Instead of taking him through the crowd to the front gates of the mansion, the guards around him led him around the back, where there were considerably less people. As they took him in through the kitchen entrance, he was led to the Lord Reagent's great hall, a large room in the middle of the mansion. There, he saw his uncle, the Lord Reagent's son, and the tribeleaders of the Ya'jahj and Tralk tribes. All three were shackled and on their knees, and upon closer inspection of their faces, all three had warpaint on them, black for his uncle, bright white for the Ya'jahj, and deep red on the Tralk's face.

They had almost made Linnor kneel, too, and put him in shackles, until he made it clear that bending his knee would send nearly unbearable pain through him. Then, they let him stand, though from the high throne the Daechir sat in, he felt like a child being reprimanded. "What is the meaning of this?" he asked the new Lord Reagent, receiving only a blow to the back of his head in response.

"I'll be the one doing the speaking here, slum. We have proof that you ordered the slum assassin to kill my father. Do you know what would happen to a slum like you who did that? Death, slum. You are going to be put to death tomorrow, as well as these three insurgents." Though Daechir was half his father's age, he acted much older, though by his speech it was obvious that he was still young at heart.

"Nightvine didn't kill your father," his uncle shouted, pulling against the chains that bound him. "Nor did he order Dawnfish to kill him. I did, at the behest of the other tribeleaders and my own people. We want to leave, and I thought that the only way to achieve that was to have your father killed. But I see that you are no different from Dimaethor." At that, one of the guards hit him over the head with the hilt of his sword, and he collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

"Please," Linnor said. "I can promise you that I had nothing to do with your father's death. I was with one of your adviser's daughter...I had taken her to my people's homeland." He had been about to say more when the Lord Reagent interrupted him.

"Then who did. Tell me which of your savages killed my father." Not sure of what to do, and having no idea who had killed the Lord Reagent, Linnor bit his lip before glancing at the other tribeleaders. The Ya'jahj, an aging man, was gagged as well as bound, probably due to the rumors that his blood was imbued with magic and could use it through his voice. The Tralk woman was looking at him intently. After a moment, she whispered, "Madrat. It was Madrat who killed your father." Of course, she was speaking the Old Tongue, the only tribeleader out of all of them to not know the Common Tongue, so Linnor translated, repeating the words clearly and loudly.

It took several more hours of talking, followed by waiting for Madrat to be found and brought to the Great Hall. He made his confession, a rather angry one at that, and was taken away, presumably to spend the night in the dungeons. Afterwards, Linnor and the other tribeleaders were let go, and each exchanged nervous, but friendly nods to the others. "We will be speaking soon, Nightvine," said the Tralk leader before she ran off into the crowd of elves that still stood in front of the mansion. Hearing what they were shouting, he almost joined the crowd, before remembering Aurea.

Making his way to her house as fast as he could, he soon found himself at her front door, wondering if he should knock or try to find her window. Biting his bottom lip, he shakily raised his hand before balling it into a fist and knocking it on the door three times.

Aurea heard the door, and she wiped her eyes of the tears beginning to form there. However, the wrong person got to the door first. Aurea's father stood in anger and disbelief at Linnor. "What are you doing here, slum? I've been informed that one of your low kind killed the Lord Regent." His eyes narrowed at that, though there seemed to be no sorrow on his face. "Even if that didn't happen, you are not allowed to see Aurealis anymore. She doesn't need to be around the likes of you."

Aurea had made it down the steps when Falyen simply slammed the door in Linnor's face. She managed to catch a glimpse before she raced forward, opening the door and throwing her arms around Linnor's neck in a tight hug. Falyen watched her with incredulity before he snapped, "Aurea!" She released Linnor and whipped around, her light brown eyes hard with sadness. "Don't talk about him like that," she snapped in return before swinging the door shut. Her father seemed to be stunned into inaction, because he didn't respond as Aurea took Linnor's free hand and nearly dragged him away from the door and around the side of her grand house.

"I... I'm sorry about that," she said, her voice much softer now that she was away. She still held onto his hand, her head tilted down. "I... I'm glad to see they didn't arrest you. Was it really a wild elf that killed the Lord Regent?"

Standing behind the door after it had been slammed in his face, Linnor resisted the urge to knock again, knowing that it would just be more of the same from Aurea's father. When she opened the door, throwing her arms around him, he almost placed an arm around her before she turned away from him to speak to her father.

Letting a smile come to his face when she dragged him around the side of the house, he shook his head as she apologized. "It's not your fault," he replied, squeezing her hand gently. The frown disappearing at her question, he sighed. "Yes. One of my people killed him, and now the other tribeleaders are wearing warpaint while our people riot in the streets. Gods...I leave for one day, and the entire world blows up." Running his hand through his hair, he sighed heavily, obviously stressed and upset.

Aurea nodded at his explanation. She could hardly believe it. The Lord Regent didn't often let people near him, and he certainly wouldn't allow a wild elf. She looked up at his heavy sigh, realizing how tired he looked. It wasn't just physical. Everything was weighing on him.

Aurea's eyes searched the ground for a moment before she reached up again, her arms sliding around his neck in a soft embrace. It was an attempt at comforting him, even if she herself wasn't up to such a thing. Her father and his words wounded her, but she knew she wouldn't obey them. She wanted to keep seeing Linnor, no matter what anyone said. If that meant hugging him after he'd been accused of murder, then that was what she would do.

Linnor practically melted into the embrace, desperate for something to hold on to. Exhaustion filled him, mind, body, and soul. Closing his eyes, he let his arms wrap around her body as best he could with one holding him up. "Thank you," he mumbled, feeling a hundred years old. Too much had happened that day, from the elation of the morning to the disaster in the Lord Reagent's home to this quiet moment with Aurea.

"I don't want to go to the Hin'tio District tonight," he said softly. "I don't think I can face my uncle and his family..." Besides, he added internally, it would mean I would have to step up as tribeleader. It's expected of me now...

Since Falyen was not shouting at his face, Linnor could actually return Aurea's hug, and despite everything, it made her smile. Her touch wasn't unwarranted, nor was it unwelcome. However, she did pull away as he spoke again, contemplating his words.

"Well, I do not want to stay here. If it's not too much for your leg, we can always go back out again. Though, if we do, I would like to change clothes." Her soft blue dress was matted with dirt and her hair was still curled from the swim. She was going to say more when she spotted someone moving toward the door. The blond hair gave him away as Calanon, but she stayed out of the way. She heard her father greet Calanon in a much nicer tone, as opposed to the way he'd slammed the door in Linnor's face earlier.

"Did you see Aurea out there? That wild elf... Linnor, I think, she's with him again. I don't know where she went."

"No, sir. I didn't see her. I just came by to tell you that my father requested your presence at our home. He wanted to discuss things about the new Lord Regent. I was already out... It was actually to see if Aurea was here. I thought she might want to take a walk around with me."

"Of course. I'll be there at once. Aurea's gone off, but if you see her, talk some sense into her. Tell her to stop seeing that slum. Or better yet, find a way to get rid of him. Otherwise, she'll keep going out to find him, and I can't have that."

Silence filled the conversation, but Calanon must have agreed, because her father said, "Good," and shut the door to emerge after a few moments calmer than he'd been earlier. Together, the city elves left, making the house quiet. Aurea was biting back tears of rage and sorrow. Her father had just threatened to remove Linnor from the picture, using someone she knew. If Linnor was caught out by himself again, everything would just get worse.

Once the blonde elf that had accosted Linnor in the square that one day started speaking with Aurea's father, Linnor's slightly good mood turned sour. Frowning as he heard their conversations, he shook his head before leaning against the side of the house, frowning. Deciding that going out right now, especially given that some of the city elves must still believe that he had killed the former Lord Reagent, Meryck spoke once he was certain that Aurea's father and Calanon had left.

"I don't want to go back to the valley...the memories are too sad...But I think I can convince Adhair to let us stay in the back room for the night. He won't mind, and I can set up something like a bed..." Forcing a smile for her, he rolled his shoulders before rubbing the spot where his shoulder met his throat. "Besides, I don't think it's safe for me to be on the streets tonight."

Aurea turned and saw him and the soft, but forced smile on his face. Even after hearing Falyen and Calanon conspire to be rid of him, he was still willing to be around her. It was strange and brave, something she could respect. He had a point however. He couldn't stay out, especially if Calanon and his lackeys were stalking the alleys. If Aurea was spotted with Linnor, it would still be bad.

"Well, wait here for just a moment. I want to change. I'll be right back." She glanced out toward the street, making sure Calanon wasn't there. Once she was satisfied he wasn't, she slipped into the house, leaving the door open, finding her two brothers, Talik and Naltan, running up and down the steps, chasing each other. Naltan spotted her first and piped up, "Aury!" They had mispronounced her name when they were even younger, so her strange nickname persisted even now. Rinath emerged from a room, looking at Aurea's dirty dress and matted hair. "Where have you been, Aurea?"

"...Out."

"With who?"

"...No one." Rinath's lips pursed in a thin line as she watched her daughter lie to her face. "Your father does not want you to see that wild elf anymore."

"Mother, he hasn't done anything!"

"Aurea, he's been accused of killing the Lord Regent, along with the other tribe leaders. If you're with him, you cannot be seen with him."

"Fine, then I'll stay out of sight."

"Aurea, you know that is not what I'm implying."

"Linnor is my friend, even if he is a wild elf. That doesn't mean anything. He's just as good as anyone else. He's better than Calanon. Don't you know what Father said about Linnor? He asked Calanon to get rid of him!" Rinath quieted at that. Aurea stared at her before she shook her head and glided up the steps. She was quick about changing into a gray, cotton dress, brushing her hair and watching the wavy curls puff out again. "Aury, who's Linnor?" Talik asked as she stepped out of her door. "He's my friend. You're not going to tell Father about my friend, right?" Talik nodded vigorously, and she smiled. "Go on."

Aurea ignored her mother as she walked back out, finding she left the door open on accident, knowing Linnor would have been hard pressed not to hear their conversation. She rolled up the sleeves to her dress so her forearms were bare as she moved back to Linnor. "I'm ready when you are."

Linnor had heard Aurea and her mother's conversation, and was glad that Aurea had stood up to her mother like that, but it still hurt that even Rinath, who had seemed not to mind him too terribly that night he had spent there, would say such things and use rumors as a base for her to say that Aurea shouldn't be around him.

Pretending like he hadn't heard anything when she returned, Linnor smiled for her before nodding at her statement. "Yeah...let's go." As they walked, he made sure to stick to the shadows cast off by the bigger buildings, not wanting anyone to recognize him. Thankfully, no one did, and they made it to the market without any trouble. As soon as they reached the shop, which had been closed for the night, he led her around to the back, where he opened the back door for her, holding it open.

Lighting a few candles, he set about making a makeshift bed for them, setting out a few cushions that Adhair had been trying to sell for weeks. Finding a blanket that had arrived to the store only a few days ago, he set it out for her to lay on. "Adhair shouldn't mind...I'll just explain the situation if he does."

Aurea stuck close to Linnor, following in his footsteps just to try and stay out of sight as best they could. No one saw them, a feeling coming to Aurea as a soft sigh, trailing Linnor as they got to the market. She slipped inside as he held the back door open before moving out of his way. She watched him set the cushions around before the blanket went on them. It wasn't the best bed, but she felt it would be more comfortable than the ground.

She slipped her boots off and gingerly sat down on the blanket, testing what was underneath. They were soft, and it wasn't a real bed, yet it was fine to her because Linnor had done his best. Her legs curled up to her chest and her chin rested on her knee. Her eyes were on the ground, her mind on everything that had occurred. There was nothing wrong with Linnor. Her parents didn't seem to understand that, and Aurea wanted them to. She wanted them to see beyond his status in the city, or his lack thereof. She saw a friend, and they didn't, which hurt her.

Once the bed was set up, Linnor sank down into one of the various chairs next to one of the tables, holding his head in his hands. After a few moments, he looked up, glancing at Aurea. "I'm sorry," he said softly, dropping his gaze again. "For everything. All the bad stuff that's been happening is my fault, so I'm sorry...I can understand if you never want to see me again..."

Frowning down at his palms, he sighed softly, wishing that it was a few days ago, before he had gotten beaten up, before Aurea had found him, before...all this! Feeling like if he got any more stressed that he would explode, he sank down in the chair, slouching.

Aurea heard him move and she looked up, watching him. He seemed so sad, and that was only solidified when he spoke. She shook her head, but he was no longer looking at her. She stood up, smoothing her dress out before walking to stand beside the chair. She took a chance by sliding the tips of her fingers under his chin, tilting his head up so her light brown eyes were looking straight into his grey ones.

"I'm still here, aren't I? I do want to see you again, Linnor. Bad stuff or not," she said, giving him a gentle smile. "You're my... friend." She said the word tentatively, testing it, as if she wasn't sure Linnor would consider her as such. "I don't want you to be sorry for the bad stuff."

Letting his gaze leave her when she said that she didn't want him to be sorry for the bad stuff, he grimaced before saying, "Thank you...I just...don't want you to get hurt because of being with me. I wouldn't be able to live with myself that way." Forcing a smile for her, he said, "I'd offer you something to eat, but Adhair doesn't keep food here, so you'll have to wait until you go home. Are you okay with that?" Tilting his head slightly, he regarded her silently, waiting for an answer, but just happy to be spending another night with her.

Eventually, he got up, pushing himself to his feet and sitting down next to the makeshift bed. "I'll sleep on the floor tonight if it makes you uncomfortable to..." he trailed off, but was sure she knew what he was implying.

Aurea let her hand fall from his face when he spoke, but he explained himself and changed the subject, and she didn't bring it back up. As for no food, it wasn't ideal, as she was hungry, but she didn't want to return home for the sake of her stomach. "It's fine," she said. She stepped out of his way when he stood, watching as he sat down beside the bed. He wasn't on it, and she soon found out why. "Oh, no, it's fine. I'm used to having people in my bed sometimes."

Realizing how odd that sounded, she covered her hand with her face before she tried again. "My brothers will sometimes get in my bed and sleep with me," she explained, biting back a smile. Linnor was older and far more attractive than her twin brothers, and he wasn't related to her. Suddenly grateful for the darkness surrounding them, Aurea's face turned pink at the thought before she sat down on the cushions again. "It's alright. Besides, you're injured. I shouldn't keep the whole thing to myself," she added, her words a little too quick and threatened to betray what was on her mind.

At Aurea's seemingly off-handed comment, Linnor flinched, wondering just how many people she had shared her bed with, until she explained that only her brothers ever did. Chuckling slightly at it, he pushed himself up onto the edge of the cushions, still slightly worried about sleeping next to Aurea. Lying down on the far side of the bed, he stared up at the ceiling, sighing again, still worried about what might happen in the near future because of the Lord Reagent's death.

Warpaint, he thought, remembering the colored paints on the tribeleaders' faces. That crowd outside the mansion might still be there, too, unless the City Guard forced them all to leave. Wondering if Adhair had been there, he scoured his memory, but couldn't remember the faces of anyone in the crowd. Frowning, he sighed softly, wishing he knew what to expect tomorrow.

Even if Linnor agreed to sleep in the same bed as her, he moved to the other side. Well, it was a start, she supposed. Now wondering where her mind was going to with that, Aurea curled up and closed her eyes, settling her head on a pillow. Like before, she fell asleep within minutes, her breathing even and quiet.

She hardly stirred during her sleep, though a few times she did shift closer to Linnor. Her mind was quiet, not plagued by nightmares or what could have been. She was just glad her friend hadn't been arrested and that her father or Calanon hadn't come looking for her yet. She was sure they both didn't know of Linnor's workplace, which made the building sort of a safe haven for the time being.

It took Linnor much longer to fall asleep than Aurea, his mind too preoccupied by the thoughts of tomorrow. Eventually, though, he did fall asleep, and had a dreamless night, his body exhausted as well as his mind. Several hours later, sunlight streaming in through the windows woke him, and he roused himself, sitting up and holding his head in his hands.

"Aurea," he whispered when he had straightened. "Time to wake up. Ima and Adhair should be coming soon, so it'd be best to be gone before then. Who knows what they'll think." Forcing himself to his feet, he winced as a flash of pain lanced up his injured leg, though he told himself that it was just the healing process.

Aurea didn't move right away, but he continued to speak and she sat up, one hand rubbing her eyes free of sleep. It took her a moment to remember where they were and everything from yesterday. So much had happened, much of which she would have liked to forget. However, it wouldn't go away, and she knew that as she stood, moving off the blanket so she could fold it back up to the way it was.

A yawn escaped her lips as she flipped the blanket in between her hands, nearly dropping it a few times before it was back into its original square form. She'd managed to sleep well enough, and Linnor's warm presence had helped keep her that way. At least she hadn't woken up holding him or anything.

As Aurea began folding the blanket, Linnor got a piece of paper from the back of a logbook, tearing it out as he readied a quill and inkpot. Sitting at the table next to him, he began writing a letter to Adhair, his letters sloppy from writing so fast. It read:

Sir,

Because of recent events involving myself and the tribeleaders of the Tralk and Ya'jahj tribes, I will not be coming in for work. I don't know how long this arrangement might take, but I hope that once it is all over you will have me back as an employee. At the moment, I fear it is not safe for me to be seen on the streets among city elves and for that I feel I must remain the Hin'tio District for my own safety.

Regrets,

Linnor Willows

Sighing, he folded the paper before capping the inkpot, wiping the tip of the quill on the edge of his shirt. Setting everything back where it went, he moved to Aurea's side, helping her put the cushions and blanket where it went,

Aurea noticed the letter, but she didn't say anything. It was little of her business to ask about what he was writing. She moved the cushions around until everything was back in its place. She pushed her hair behind her ear, looking around the back room. Even if it was much smaller than the forest clearing, it was still nice to find a place no one would look for them.

"Are you going to go home today?" she asked. It would be best if he was able to, but she wouldn't have minded being around him for yet another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.