Oh, Sorry! I Thought You Were One Of Them -- a Zombies!? tale (signup thread!)

DuracellDuality

Edgebabby
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Prestige
  6. Douche
  7. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Any.
Only a few questions, since a bulk of the development is going to be done through the roleplay itself!

Name of character:
Date of Birth (keep in mind, this takes place only a couple years from now, in 2022, so adjust accordingly!):
Height (relevant for some world events, and searching of certain areas):
Hometown (relevant for the overall plot progression, the RP itself takes place in an unnamed city just outside of a Metropolitan area in the midwest, but the hometown isn't limited to just the U.S!):
Personality (you can either list five positive traits and five negatives, take a personality test online, write a couple sentences talking about your character's personality, or whatever else creative way you have!):
Face claim (please be within a couple years of your character's age! Or at least have an actor that looks the age! so if your character is 23, please don't have a 40 year old actor as a faceclaim!):
Appearance (different than the faceclaim! this is reserved for overall clothing, facial features of any kind, eyes, etcetera!):
Special skills (anything that they took with them to the apocalypse! it can be combat related but isn't exclusive to it! for instance, your character might be really skilled at crafts, which will help them repair clothing or armor or such -- or a versatile actor, which can help them charm their way past patrols or other situations!):
Theme (a song relevant to your character! please keep it as relevant as you can! if you'd like, though this is not necessary, you can write a short blurb explaining why it's relevant!):
Relationships (it can be someone they were separated from and that's their goal apart from finding the people responsible for the apocalypse, or it can be someone that was lost to them before / after the apocalypse and they carry the pain with them!):

And finally, some questions in the vein of Ultima IV. These have no real bearing on the plot or anything else, but they do help provide insight into your character's own beliefs. Simply put down A or B for your choice at the end of your sheet!

1) After 20 years you have found the slayer of your best friends. The villain proves to be a man who provides the sole support for a young girl. Do you A) spare him in Compassion for the girl; or B) slay him in the name of Justice?

2) You and your friends have been routed and ordered to retreat. In defiance of the odds, do you A) stop in Compassion to aid a wounded companion; or B) Sacrifice yourself to slow the pursuing enemy, so others can escape?

Name of character: Zion Juima
Date of Birth 34 can edit if need be
Height: 6:4
Hometown Paddington London
Personality: Kind and Caring, Thoughtful, loves cooking and things of that nature, Wise, negative sometimes thoughtless, cold, somewhat socially awkward, distrustful, Sly Doesn't like his things touched without permission and gets rattle when people do it.
Face claim: https://www.boldsky.com/img/2016/05/30-1464587368-terry-hollands.jpg
Appearance roundish face, and has eyes that are a mix of blue, grey and green, is built like a brick wall, often seen in flexible grey jeans and a black t-shirt with seals wearing goggle on it, black and green mesh trainers.
Special skills: Wondering chef/butcher/herbalist, is also has some taekwondo experience from his earlier years at high school way back in the day, Massarge
Theme:
Relationships: He has an older sister called Rose, she was the reason he decided to give life another try instead of throwing himself off a building when nothing seemed to go right for him in his teen years, sure he had a gut feeling her work wasn't your nine to five and but it was only when he found many weapons and other things in a secret room. It's like she knew the world was going to end, not long after that, she was vanished but to where is the question. He wants to find and thank her properly for giving him a way out of his pure loneliness and despair.

1) After 20 years you have found the slayer of your best friends. The villain proves to be a man who provides the sole support for a young girl. Do you A) spare him in Compassion for the girl, or B) slay him in the name of Justice? Neither I would make sure he returned the favor when I needed it the most.

2) You and your friends have been routed and ordered to retreat. In defiance of the odds, do you A) stop in Compassion to aid a wounded companion; or B) Sacrifice yourself to slow the pursuing enemy, so others can escape? Depending on how wounded the person is he would make a call, and if he can see there's no chance come up with a new plan to escape.

Last edited:
Name of character: Otto White
Date of Birth: 11/30/1987 (35)
Height : 5'9"
Hometown: St. Charles Missouri
Personality : Efficient, calm, practical. These three traits would be best to sum up Otto when talking about him in a positive light but if you didn't like him so much you could also say he was a ruthless as his major negative along with a..not lack of moral empathy but a much higher degree as to which he would feel it, he also rarely tolerates indecision and wishy washy behavior leading to him coming off as rather impatient. He also is
rarely tolerant of ideas and plans made on an emotional level.

Face claim :
C.Bohannon1.jpg
Appearance : Smoke and grey hair and beard frame a face of a man that would be called "traditionally handsome" like a dashing rogue from a bygone era while dark green eyes pierce out in an intense look most times. He traditionally wears a pair of jeans, a dark blue buttoned work shirt tucked into said jeans with a plain white t-shirt underneath with a pair of rugged boots on his feet. Work suspenders hold his jeans up but he does carry a belt for emergency use. A man of medium build and wiry muscles he wouldn't look out of place in a boxing ring.

Special skills : Otto is a man of a many talents, having grown up around firearms and hunting he could be considered an excellent marksman and hunter while he would call himself a novice trapper his skill is not so low, a stint in the army gave him fighting skills and improved his shooting ability. Decent at repairs of firearms and things of that sort, the skill can be imposed on other mechanical devices but electric work is beyond him.

Theme: Big Iron

Relationships: Most of the people Otto cared about are long gone or he presumes so. Now? Who knows what relationships he'll form in this new hell

1) After 20 years you have found the slayer of your best friends. The villain proves to be a man who provides the sole support for a young girl. Do you A) spare him in Compassion for the girl; or B) slay him in the name of Justice?
A

2) You and your friends have been routed and ordered to retreat. In defiance of the odds, do you A) stop in Compassion to aid a wounded companion; or B) Sacrifice yourself to slow the pursuing enemy, so others can escape?
B​

Name: Logan Pearce
Height: 5'11
Hometown: Seattle
Personality: Patient, Level-Headed, Methodical, Resourceful, Selfless, Stubborn, Evasive, Cynical, Grumpy, Callous
Face Claim: Link
Appearance: Wears a dark grey hoody with black khaki slacks, almost always wears a bandana around his face.
Theme: In a house - In a heartbeat

Special Skills: Logan worked as a doctor at the local hospital, therefore he has extensive knowledge of medicine and the human body. Besides that he used to work as an electrician before taking up medicine so he can repair electrical equipment. While not being an expert fighter, he regularly worked out giving him an edge in the strength department. Meaning he can throw a punch, but won't be busting out any karate moves.

Relationships: He had a fatally ill sister who he cared for before the apocalypse started. Knowing that she wouldn't survive the end times, he killed her himself to spare her a fate worse than death. He carries the burden of knowing he killed his only family.

(B)

(A)​

Reactions: DuracellDuality
Name of character: Catalina Jo Brookes aka Cat or CJ
Date of Birth: March 18th 1995
Height: 5'3"
Hometown: China Spring, TX
Personality: Friendly / Peace maker type / Quiet / Self Reliant / Stubborn / Cautious / Hot Headed at times / Calm and collected at other times
Face claim :
blue-eyes-blonde-model-pink-lipstick-face-portrait-girls-13436-resized.jpg
Appearance: Plain white tank and blue jeans with dark brown hunting boots. A tattoo on her back right shoulder that says "I am strong because I've been weak" and a sunflower as well as a scar along her left forearm she doesn't talk about. She usually wears a compound bow across her back as well.
Special skills: CJ used to hunt with her father before the apocalypse so she knows how to use her bow well, not quite as skilled with firearms but she can use them if need be. She was also a dancer most of her life making her agile and starred in a bit of theater back in the day making it easy for her to act when needed.
Theme: Take me to church - Hozier
Relationships: Cat was separated from her twin brother at the beginning of the apocalypse and searches for him everywhere she goes, she's lost anyone else that was close to her. Including both parents and her husband, though she refuses to speak on how.

A

A

Reactions: DuracellDuality
Name - Briar Rose Ceridwyn Chadbury
Date of Birth: March 3rd, 2012 (10 years old)
Height - 4' 7"
Hometown: The Hamptons
Personality - Highly intelligent, curious, easily distracted, eccentric, naive, clever, creative, resourceful, shy, socially awkward.
Likes - Science, mathematics, Steampunk, mechanical contraptions, tinkering, bicycles, cats, chess.​
Dislikes - Cruelty, aggression, snooty people, zombies, gore, being unwanted.​
Strengths - Intelligence, resourcefulness, creativity, good at squeezing through tight spaces, good with a slingshot, extreme curiosity.​
Weaknesses - Easily distracted, easily intimidated, ol' fashioned physical weakness, extreme curiosity.​
Hobbies/Talents - Hiking in nature, botany, wildlife observation, invention, design, and general tinkering with mechanical things, preferably resulting in something exhibiting a degree of whimsy while also being environmentally benign. Reading (science, and stories about exploration).​
Health Ailments - Autism spectrum, PTSD​

tumblr_m4yc4xbrKR1qci6yk_zpsfe355823.jpg

Appearance: As pictured, her normal style is British Schoolgirl Chic, Extra Tweedy. Her hair, clothes, and whatever she's carrying are nearly always in a general state of disarray. However, if she gets half the chance, she'll switch to Steampunk adventurer's khaki, complete with pith helmet, goggles, and whatever useful gadgets she can bodge together.

Special skills:

Technical drawing, mathematics (algebra and geometry, plus a smattering of calculus and trigonometry on an approximately high school level), general biological investigation (sample collection, basic analysis using the tools she has, i.e., she can do a litmus test, a dissection, examine plant tissue under her microscope, but can't sequence a genome), a broad but not deep "general scientific knowledge." She knows more about biology and general mechanics (low-tech-ish machinery) than physics or astronomy, but she is familiar with an eclectic range of basic concepts. She also has some skill in light metalworking (can use a hammer, files, snips, etc. within the limits of her strength, but can't weld, use power tools, or forge), and leather working. She is resourceful and inventive. She has a talent for stealth and fading into the background, and is good at squeeezing into small spaces.

Theme:

Relationships: Briar Rose was conceived by her mother in an affair, and she does not know who her real father is. Her nominal father hated her, but kept up appearances in public to protect the family from scandal. Her parents fought constantly, so she retreated into worlds of scholarship and invention. She raced ahead of children her own age in her schoolwork (which she viewed as an inconvenience to be dispensed with quickly so she could move on to more interesting things). Her "father," Theodoric Chadbury, sent her away to Marshall Academy, an elitist private high school filled with privileged rich brats and social climbers, knowing full well that it would make Briar Rose--and by extension her mother--utterly miserable. Thus, she was far away from her family when the Apocalypse happened. Since she was constantly used as a reminder of her mother's infidelity, she blames herself for her parents' fighting, and does not think her parents actually want her to find her way back to them. If they're even still alive.

Questions:

"Uh...well, I...don't think I could be some kind of grim avenger and kill the man in cold blood...but if he's a psycho killer, the prior probability of him being a good father for the girl would have to be quite low. So maybe I could sneak in, help the girl escape and we could be friends! I'd like to have a--oh, twenty years, right. I'd be a grownup by then. I've read that the connectome of the cerebral cortex doesn't fully develop until you're twenty-five or so. It's a bit weird you know, thinking about my cerebral cortex not being fully--I would be a whole different person in twenty years, right? So the answer I gave you now probably wouldn't be the one I'd give as a grownup. And would I even be sure I recognized the killer after twenty years? Human memory is pretty rubbish as a recording device, so I'm not sure I could be so certain it was him...

"Hmm. If the probabilities of success are equivalent and all of my friends survive in both scenarios, option A is the obvious choice, since I also survive in that scenario. Or am I supposed to read it that only I and the friend I stop to help survive and all the others die if I do that one? Then it would be more of a Trolley Problem... If that's what you mean, then morally I should choose option B. But that's just so tremendously brave, and...well...I was never any good at standing up to ordinary bullies at school, and none of them wanted to actually kill me. Well, I suppose they'd have laughed their heads off if they could have made me commit suicide, but it's not like they would have done the deed themselves. But if they had...I don't imagine that I would have been all heroic or anything... So if it's 'in defiance of the odds' in the first place...it probably would be unwise to adopt a strategy that assumes I can just turn into Horatius at the Suplician Bridge. Not that I'd want to run away and let my friends die! But...what if I panicked at the wrong moment and we all died? I mean, Sun Tzu said that 'if you know yourself and you know your enemy, you need not fear the result of a thousand battles.' So I should find a way to save everyone that doesn't require me to be something I'm not. Not that I'm adverse to the idea of sacrificing myself for others. It...actually sounds like a great way to die...when that time comes. I'd just...have to do it in a way that would actually work, because hashing it up at the last minute and causing everyone to die is probably the worst way to go. Except...if I'm in a real battle, the other people would probably all be grownups, and no one would let me be the general anyway. Sorry, that's not a very good answer, is it?

"Oh hang on! I just noticed that you capitalized 'Compassion' and 'Justice' in the first one and 'Sacrifice' and 'Compassion' in the second one. So it's about picking which virtue to emphasize and not about the particulars of the scenarios, right? So I think I'd have to pick Compassion because it's what the other ones are about in the first place. I mean, the reason we want Justice is so we don't have psychos running around killing, hurting, and exploiting people, and that's about Compassion for the victims. And the reason to Sacrifice is Compassion for the people you're sacrificing for; and to practice Compassion often means Sacrifice, I mean you're doing something compassionate instead of getting more for yourself. So those two sorta go together.

"I'm not overthinking this, am I? People say I overthink things, but it seems to me that people don't think things through enough, and that's why everything's always been such a mess. But it is a bit funny, the idea of overthinking with a cerebral cortex that isn't even wired up all the way, I mean, thinking about having an incomplete cerebral connectome with that cerebral connectome..."

EQUIPMENT:

Pack
- Canvas and leather hiker's backpack she uses as a book bag. Contains a seemingly random collection of notebooks and papers inscribed with oddly whimsical "technical" drawings of various inventions and ideas in different stages of completion, and notes written in neat feminine handwriting. Drafting tools, measuring tape, handheld microscope, tweezers, a set of sample boxes and small Pyrex vials, litmus paper, a Leatherman multi-tool, hand lens, compass, a textbook on ecology, and a "pocket" field guide to wildlife and plants in New York State.
Transportation - A girl's bike with a handlebar basket and rear pannier and saddlebags containing a bike repair multi-tool, spare chain and tire tube, foot-powered tire pump, tire patch kit, bike lock, water bottle and lunch box, and a few cans of food.

Weapons - 18th century brass and iron fireplace poker (from school) hunting slingshot (found in a sporting goods store).

Last edited:
Thanks for the signups, people! I'll be posting the first main thread on Monday at 11 PM PST, so get your signups in by then! I haven't forgotten, don't worry!

Name of character: Aroura Jane Kensington
Date of Birth: June 21, 2006 (16)
Height: 5' 2"
Hometown: Jamestown, Virginia

Personality: Bubbly / Kind / Compassionate / Stubborn / Hot-Headed / Hyper /
Has a had time focusing / Emotional / Independent to a fault / Adventurous / Loyal / Can be gloomy / Manipulative

Aroura is many things. Not one thing could describe her in full. Rather there are many things that would describe Aroura. When you first meet her you may be put off by her odd nature. Even in this new world she kept her bubbly personality and kind persona. Though at the same time she can be very hyper to the point it's almost like she drank too much coffee. Still, Aroura is a wonderful person. Her compassion for other's may one day be her downfall. Well, that and her stubbornness. When her mind is set it's set and often it will be hard to change her mind on anything. This has always been one thing she admired about herself. Well that and her loyalness for her friends and anyone she deems family. Though this doesn't mean you will gain her trust fast. It just mean those she does trust she will be loyal to for as long as they have her trust. At times Aroura will wander off, mostly to explore a new location or follow an animal or person. She has no sense of direction though.

While this may seem all good Aroura has her faults too. From being a hot head who gets mad at some of the dumbest things to an overemotional mess that will cry about anything. Yea, Aroura's anything but okay. She suffers from bouts of depression and anxiety whenever she remembers her past, which is something she never really wants to remember. Her past happened to be a dark one that shaped her today. Her independent nature stems from the abandonment of her parents. Though this is only to a fault as Aroura can also be dependent at times, but these are not common. Manipulation stems from having to take care of herself and figure out how to eat and drink. Often Aroura would manipulate people into giving her things. She's great with words but also has a hard time focusing. Aroura will go from one topic to the next.

Strengths:

• Fast on feet
  • Loyal
  • Manipulation
  • Hunting
Weaknesses:
  • No strength
  • Horrible aim
  • Thoughts and memories of the past
  • Stubborn
  • Hot-headed
  • Over emotional
  • Loud
  • No sense of direction
Health Ailments: Bipolar depression, PTSD, Anxiety, Asthma

Face claim: (Emilia McCarthy)

2014-07-10-EmiliaMcCarthy_PhotoCreditPierreGautreau-thumb.JPG
Appearance: Usually Aroura can be seen in a tank top, black leather jacket, ripped jeans, and combat boots. Though she does have various tank tops and jeans Aroura always has the same worn leather jacket and boots. On her hip is a gun holster that usually holds a Colt 1911. As well as the holster Aroura has a knife in her boot that she keeps hidden. Strapped to her back is also a black Samurai sword. Along her forearms are various sizes of scars that she doesn't really like to talk about.

Special skills:

• Writing
  • Acrobatics
  • Manipulation
  • Hunting
Weapons:
  • Colt 1911
  • Switch blade
  • Samurai sword
Theme:

Relationships:
  • Mother - Deceased
  • Father - Unknown
  • Little Sister - Deceased

A

A

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ur Degaton
I'm extending the signups until Friday at the same time! I haven't forgotten -- though this is the one and only extension, I will be working on the thread itself until then!

Signups are now closed! If there's anyone who has yet to signup, you'll get another chance partway through the roleplay when I open them up again! For those who did signup, the thread is going to be posted soon! I will be portraying the zombies in cases where it's necessary, otherwise, feel free to use them as cannon fodder for your own posts! I will also be writing an as of yet unnamed NPC! Be patient, and ye shall be rewarded!

>Cannon fodder zombies
giphy.gif

So, just to clarify a couple things: Do our characters remember how the world ended, do they not, or is it player's choice? Just want to make sure I describe things correctly when I post. :)

So, just to clarify a couple things: Do our characters remember how the world ended, do they not, or is it player's choice? Just want to make sure I describe things correctly when I post. :)
While I can't give a definite answer I'm going with my character unable to remember how it ended.

>Also I didn't put a time taken part in my first post since I didn't want to conflict with other posts, will start on my second one through.

Posted! Also didn't add time as I want to see where everyone else is. Will do so in my next post :)

Reactions: Dakota K5
It's up to player choice, completely! Sorry for the late reply, I was knocked out all day. Thanks work! But yes, completely up to you whether or not you want to have your character remember.

@DuracellDuality So do you want us to wait for all introduction posts before posting again or what?

You can post again if you'd like! I don't know how active the people who haven't posted yet are, so I don't want to hold up the thread too much!

By the by, here's a link to the discord server if you'd like to join and avoid posting here!