Of Humans, Demons and Magic

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Ashkara had jumped back immediately at the pressure of his sword, knowing that should she be put to the ground, it would be game over. Her breathing was coming out harder than normal from the brief exercise and her eyes were struggling to remain open, not due to a state of fatigue but rather her mind's persistence. The loud mouth voice had gone off to sulk in a corner or something similar, for now it was only the soft, shy voice and worse, she was starting to make sense. 'He's not attacking!' it pleaded in a last, desperate attempt to break through to her. Something like a snapping twigs broke through the buzz in her ears before she was plunged into unconsciousness. The girl's hair took on a wash of blue and her eyes began to flutter lightly, also taking on a similarly rich shade of the color when they finally opened fully, shock quite evident in their blue iris'. Looking down at the weapon in her hand, held in an offensive position, then up to the boy, something like recognition clicked and she hurriedly flung the metal to the ground with a soft thump as it hit the grass. Ashkara's gaze quickly left the blade in order to look at her surroundings, taking another step back to put some distance between the boy and herself before meeting his eyes and, in a timid tone asked, "I-I didn't hurt you... did I?" She couldn't believe that she had actually managed to get out of the black abyss before it had been too late, normally escaping right after making the final blow and being left to cry in guilt at her actions. Not this time though, and she was grateful for that, even if it costed her life.

He looked at her as her appearance had changed, gaping in astonishment, she had asked if she had hurt him after throwing her blade, he was wary of her, but she seemed unarmed, and somewhat diffrent, he sheathed his blade, "No ... why did you come?" He asked possibly a bit too coldly.

She shook her head almost vigorously at the boy's question trying to find an answer to it, but coming up with none whenever she relied on her memory for help. It had always been like this, unable to remember what happened in the real world when she went under, only able to guess that she must have said something, like the other two did, while she was in the darkness. " I don't... remember," she said, frowning in minor frustration. She allowed herself the small privilege of a smile when she realized he had answered in the negative towards her hurting him, relieved. " They usually send me out to either kill or capture. I never do either though, if I can help it, but I can't remember what I was supposed to do with you." She tilted her head to the side slightly as if puzzled by the boy, as if maybe he would have the answer to his own question. Ashkara flinched as she remembered that she had been attacking him, regardless of what the motive have been. "I-I'm sorry though, for whichever it was," she added hurriedly, dipping her head down towards him in a quick sign of apology. "I swear on my life, I really will try not to let it happen again." She stayed down in the small bow, not daring to stand straight until he forgave her or at least accepted her promise for the time being.

Xenel nodded a bit, not speaking until she was through, "Alright ... perhap's it's best I either keep my guard up or stay away from you then." He looked toward the forest, thought's racing from his mind, about whether to kill her or not, it would make his life easier, but she had said she couldn't control herself.

At the boy's statement, she stood, watching him watch the forest as he seemed to have some form of an inner dialogue with himself, although it was probably nothing like the conversations that she was used to hearing. A small idea dawned upon her, of good or corrupt origin she could not be sure, but it seemed pure enough and so deemed it her own. "I could help to keep others like me away," she offered quietly. She may be unable to return to the Organization empty handed, but nor can she harm this boy (or anyone for that matter), it went against her self implanted morals of living. Yet that didn't mean she couldn't help him. "I won't report that I found you, even though that won't stop Them from sending more, but if They find us later on, then I can pretend that I've just recently caught you and am bringing you in for interrogation on new orders from the Boss." It was a very 'iffy' plan by any standards, but it was better than one of them having to die. To her, at least.

The sound of blood curdling howls from the direction of the seashore rang out across the beach, becoming muffled by the greenery that separated them from the beasts, but still remaining audible for the two, young adults. Ashkara jumped at the call of the hunt, recognizing it in a heartbeat. "Hybrids..." she whispered. She wasn't one to raise a weapon, even in defense, but she knew that the other sides of her would kill her if she left their weapon lying on the ground in the face of danger. Reluctantly, she grabbed the weapon from the grassy floor, clumsily returning it to the scabbard on her back, already backing up into the cover of the jungles that ultimately lead towards the Sahara.

Last edited by a moderator:
He nodded softly, "Just make sure your other side's know as well ..." he sighed gently, and cracked his neck at the howls, "Come ... I suppose were in this together." He began walking toward the north, "I know of an oasis in the Sahara ... it won't be the best, but it's all we got." He whispered slowly, keeping an eye on her, making sure she wouldn't betray him.

She sighed in answer to his first command, focusing on the inner workings of her mind so that she might hear what the other sides of her thought of their newest development. It wasn't pretty. 'Kill him this instant! I will not stand by and watch him live!' one side raged in blind fury, emerging from silence. Her previous self, the one in green, seemed to sigh as well at this typical reaction. 'Unfortunately, he would be better off dead than in constant danger of one of our awakenings,' the calm soldier agreed reluctantly. 'Unless the Boss truly were to tell you otherwise and to capture, not kill, then my vote would lean more towards your favor.' The first voice started screaming at the other and it became a muddled mess of noise, leaving Ashkara shaking her head until she could hear it no more. "All right, they know," she mumbled, pointedly not telling him if they agreed to her promise. She quickened her pace in order to walk beside him, running ahead being foolish, seeing as how she did not know the way, and following behind making it difficult and dangerous for the boy to keep an eye on her in case one of her others spontaneously emerged. There were normally signs though that would hint at the emergence of one, such as blacking out, loss of focus and waves of unexplainable dizziness. "Have you...come across...hybrids before?" she asked him curiously, careful of the wording she used.

Last edited by a moderator:
He nodded a little bit, "Unfortunately." Was all he said, followed soon after by, "And I would prefer not too again ..." he said, his voice shook very lightly, as if he was afraid of something, possibly the hybrids, or one in particular. "Anyway's ... we have to hurry if their out now ... how fast are you?" He asked, looking back at her.

Ashkara was curious to ask him about his previous encounter with whatever hybrids he had met before, but refrained herself, viewing it as both impolite and rude. She had her own past to deal with, and he had his. It was fair enough, seeing as how he had yet to question her on the subject. However, at his inquiry on her speed, for the first time since meeting him she beamed a smile of amusement. A small spark momentarily showed in her eyes. "Very." Afterall, the lighter one was, the more energy they conserved and the quicker their movements became.

He nodded a little, "Good ... stay close to me." He reached behinf him, grabbing her hand and darting off, leading her past tree's, animals, snakes, and the like, winding and twosting through the forest, going north, both pf them at very quick speeds for an average human.

A low, bittersweet cry rose up from behind, the pack leader declaring his find. Of it either being there scent or the dead bodies of the recently killed, it was impossible to guess and only made the girl run faster. Her light feet padded in near silence against the changing terrain of the surrounding lands, heart beating in an easy, patterned rhythm. It had picked up rapidly when the boy grabbed her hand, but it was only for the first few moments before she hung on tightly. It was only the shock, she assured herself, of not having touched anyone who was still alive, in so long. Only the shock. "What are you?" she asked him, quieter than a whisper, lest her voice carry. She was dubious on his having an affinity with gravity, such as herself, and becoming more so in the belief that he was a simple human, based on the speed in which he was running.

He ran quicker, smirking a little bit, "You really wanna know?" He asked, "Survive and find out." His speed increased, now running at least 15 mph, and steadilly increasing. Smirking as he looked behind her as she clung to his hand.

Her feet came down to hit the ground harder and faster, her strides becoming longer and less natural if one were to watch the girl r.un from afar. It was quickly becoming a juggling act between balancing out her lack of weight and the need to stay on the ground without leaping into the air with each step that she took. In order to accomplish this, wat needed to be present at the lowest center of balance possible, meaning the soles of her feet. Each leg could only weigh about ten pounds at the most now, as far as pressure was concerned, with the rest of her body weighing near to nothing in order to cope with the growing speed of the boy. Her hand tightened around his for stability, afraid to see whether she would fall flat on her face or simply leap high into the sky, should she lose her grip. For now, he was her anchor, even if her feet could keep up on their own. There was a way in which she could do all of this on her own, but she wasn't willing to give away her body's free will to the activist in return. There wasn't much she could think of that would be worth the payment of returning to the darkness, so running was definitely not included on that list.

He looked behind him, as they were now out of the forest and in the desert he smirked a little, but looked back down at the sand, making sure they didn't come across anything that would be tood dangerous, until he slowed down and stopped, the sand swirling around them, "Crap ..."

Before them lay an incredible Earth demon, its skin the color of dull gold with horns and talons of a dark brown that shimmered when they caught the light just so. Its natural element being the very ground beneath their feet, it had been hard to see from afar, the protective scales that covered its body blending in perfectly with the surrounding. Having stopped however, shifting the sand had enabled them to see the stillness of the figure that, in accordance to as far as mythology was concerned, had the appearance of a dragon. It had been sleeping, obviously enough, more so being the fact that their running against its land had awoken it, wide, ruby eyes watching them in fury for entering its territory. Perhaps this was one of those things on Ashkara's list, but she was still waiting to see if they would become so desperate. The demon raised its body into the air, the peak of its enormous length, before crashing down heavily to the ground as it burrowed below their feet. The sand around them seemed to come to life with a mind of its own, determined to choke and blind them as the ground shook and the demon tunneled further.

Xenel covered his mouth, coughing a little, "We have to leave now." He nearly screamed, looking around for a way out, but the sand stung his eyes, ge remembered that if sand could be heated, it became glass, he looked at his hands, electricity, was hot, and shocking, could that work, and if it could, could he cause it? He looked at Ashkara, "Come on ..."

Ashkara raise a gloved hand to her mouth and nose, one eye half shut with the other completely closed, trying to minimize the grains of sand that could hit and possibly blind her. Above the roar of the synthesized winds, she could just make out the sound of the boy's voice commanding that they had to leave, but where to? If her feet weren't firmly on the ground, she would have been questioning which way was up, let alone the directions of a compass. She assumed that their specific direction mattered little now, so long as they didn't return to the jungle. 'I know which way to go,' a clear voice whispered teasingly. She disregarded the suggestion immediately and followed closely behind the boy, when the ground abruptly stopped shaking. 'You better hope he can swim, girl!' it suddenly laughed, fading away until only a memory of an echo be remained, leaving Ashkara wondering if the activist had truly said anything at all. She must have though, for not even a quarter minute later, the earth gave a last, heaving shudder, and the demon erupted from the sand, its huge body quivering and spinning almost spazmaticly. What came of it was that the surrounding dunes of sand began to crumble and fall at alarming speeds, becoming tidal waves of suffocating specks of dirt.

He cursed, and looked at her, there was no way he could stop that with his electricity, he couldn't outrun it either he frowned trying to stop the unstoppable, as he ran, however was quickly overtaken underneath the sand, his mouth closed trying to survive for as long as possible, and then it all went dark.

Darkness. Darkness had consumed them both and already Ashkara was finding it hard to breathe, to hold her breath for much longer. She could no longer remember how long she had been consumed within the confines of the sand, the lack of nearly all her senses a maddening thing to experience. She couldn't hear, couldn't see, surely couldn't smell and so only had the harsh brush of sand on her skin and the taste of dry salt on her lips. They could have been under from anywhere between a few seconds to half an hour with no way of knowing had the soldier not, apparently, started counting. 'Three minutes now. Two more before your air stop out and you die,' it told her bluntly. Three minutes... Could the boy hold his breath that long? She didn't know, although the color of his eyes did suggest that he could have a variety of abilities, holding air may not be one of them. 'Give me your body and I'll get us out of here,' an impatient tone tried to bargain. For a moment, Ashkara had forgotten that when she died, so did they. The ground around her tightened further around her chest, pushing another small exhalation from her lungs. One minute. 'And the boy? What about him?' A sound like the tutting of irritation rang out in her head before the other quickly replied. 'Yes, yes, I'll find him,' it muttered, almost incoherent. Thirty seconds. You'll find him, then kill him! Vow on your free will that you won't hurt him.' Her entire body felt like it was spinning and falling in the most dizzying of patterns, although it was not from the others pushing to get out, rather the ground pressing around her, trying to get in. Ten seconds. 'You're mad!' it cried in disbelief, panic and fear of death heightening the voice. If the voice had a body to breathe from, it would be doing so in small, quick puffs of air, eyes darting around at the unaccustomed feeling of peer (or self) pressure. Realizing it had no other option aside from suffocation, it would have pressed its fists to its temples as it screamed, 'I vow it!'

Xenel was stuck under the sand, his air capacity running rather low, he began to dig himself, after spitting, to find which direction gravity pulled it. It went up so he dug, downward, apparently, he had spun, but air was soon leaving him, and he had only dug a foot toward the surface when he passed out.