Not Even Death Can Save Us Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maggie heard Daryl behind her, but she couldn't really make out what he was saying. She stood up and placed the gun in its holster and wiped the stray tears away. She cleared her throat and stared ahead. "We need to keep moving, find somewhere safe to stay tonight." She said to him, her voice soft and pained as she started walking. Beth had to be out there, Maggie refused to believe she was gone, also. She might not have seemed like it, but Beth was strong, she could handle her own if she needed to, and Maggie knew it. She'd find her sister.

The sun was beginning to set in the distance when Maggie noticed a small home about a mile away. It looked clear and she glanced back at Daryl. "Hey, look over here. It looks safe, what do you think?" She asked, keeping her hand on the gun. She didn't wait for an answer from him so she headed to the house, keeping all her sense heightened. She heard one walker nearby, but it wasn't close enough to them for it to matter, they didn't need to take out every single walker they ran into, right?

Maggie stood on the front porch of the house, glancing in the windows. She held the gun up and looked towards Daryl then back at the door. She opened the door and knocked on the door frame to bring out any potential walkers. It seemed empty so Maggie walked inside. It looked empty, tables turned over, pictures crooked on the wall, the scent of death lingering in the air. Sighing, she looked back at Daryl.

"Let's see if we can find anything to eat." She said to him as she turned back, heading towards the kitchen, keeping her gun in hand.​

When Maggie holstered the weapon, Daryl followed her as he looked around. Was he wrong to think that she was going to shoot him? Merle was a real bastard to Glenn and her and colluded with the Governor. For a time, his older brother was the attack dog of the Governor. It was a bad time for him as it was for the group. Daryl thought of running off with his brother again. But in the end, Merle was dead and Daryl prayed the Governor was as well. He'd have to backtrack later. The devil deserved to die.

As the sun began to crest the horizon, Daryl heard Maggie point out a house as he looked where she pointed. It was a small run down shack of a house. Before Daryl could even voice his opinion, Maggie stormed off once again leaving him by himself. Sighing, he followed as he noticed a few walkers off in the distance. They hadn't noticed them yet, and he wanted to keep it that way. From the events of the day, he was exhausted. Mentally and physically. Today they had just lost a lot of friends. Scattered and separated. It was a terrible feeling.

Daryl followed Maggie into the house as he brought up the rear. He closed the door behind him. Now to secure the place and clear it. When Maggie talked about food, his stomach chose that time to growl. He hadn't eaten since this morning. "After I clear the house."

Prowling through the first floor, there was already some barricades on the house. Pretty well fortified. Whoever was here before was doing them a favor. Daryl didn't have the heart to check the basement, so he just jammed the door shut. There was nothing upstairs either. Already making the walker detectors from what scraps he could find, the two were pretty safe. With all things considered anyway.

Going back into the kitchen, he started to help Maggie search as he looked in the cabinet. He was about to go hunting - even thought it was getting dark - until he found gold. Reaching in, he found several cans of soup and a two liter of coke. Grabbing some spoons, he walked to the kitchen table and deposited his loot.

"Hey," he said getting Maggie's attention. "Courtesy of the owners. You can have first pick."​

Maggie nodded and watched as Daryl walked off to clear the house. She searched downstairs, checking the kitchen, living room, and bathroom. All clear. It even looked deserted outside, the small throng of walkers they heard earlier long gone by now. Hopefully the rest of the night would be just as quite. Sighing, she sat her gun down on the counter and leaned against it, staring outside through the crack of the wooden boards, which blocked most of the lighting out, but also kept them hidden from the walkers.

She started searching through the cabinets, looking for anything edible or that they could drink. She was hungry and thirsty and felt completely drained of energy. She found a couple cans of soup and was glad when Daryl joined her in helping, because he hit the motherload. She couldn't help but grin at the two liter soda in front of her, it's been months since she's had soda. She found two glasses and wiped them clean, setting both on the table and finding two bowls, which she did the same with. She brought out her dagger and worked on opening both cans of the cold soup, pouring a can in each bowl and pouring them a drink in the glasses.

She sat down and grabbed a spoon, putting some soup in her mouth. It was a lot better hot, but there was no electricity for that, so this would have to do. She glanced up at Daryl and offered him a small apologetic smile. "Sorry for earlier.. I just kinda.. lost it, ya know? After seeing that happen to daddy, I..." She wasn't sure what else to say so she just sat in silence, drinking her coke and eating her soup.​

Daryl took the bowl of soup and glass that Maggie poured out. Taking the spoon, he took a mouthful savoring the taste. He wondered if the others took the bag full of canned foods that he brought back this morning. Hopefully the folks who took Judith. He listened to Maggie and once again found himself at a lose of what to say. Leaning back in his seat, he looked at her. "It was a bad way to go. I'm sorry," he said. "Herschel was good. Didn't talk to him much. Kept the group straight though."

He didn't know if that helped, but it was the best he could do. Grabbing his glass, he took another drink. His eyes never left Maggie. "When Merle and I were still kids, pop got piss ass drunk every night. Didn't see mom often, so we got into all types of trouble. Anywhere but home. Violence, drugs, a bit of everything. Point is, never had someone like your dad. I suck at this stuff. Way I see it though, you need to cry, cry. Nothing wrong with that."

Finishing his bowl of soup, Daryl looked at the cans remaining. Fighting the compulsion, it'd be better to save it for later. "Take your time," he said. "We should think about what to do though. The others couldn't have gotten far. Find Beth, Rick, the others."

Maggie nodded as he spoke of her father. He truly was a good man and he was the glue to the group, he kept everyone together. "Yeah.. he kept us all together when no one else really could.." She said, her voice soft. She felt more tears threaten to leave her eyes, but she pushed it back. She wasn't going to cry anymore, that was a sign of weakness and she couldn't be weak, not now. Her father wouldn't have wanted that. She needed to stay strong to find Beth, crying over him when they were all doomed anyways wouldn't have done any good. She'd be out searching for her sister now and the others, but she wasn't completely stupid, night time was the worse to be out, that's when they'd get you.

Maggie glanced up at Daryl as he spoke about his father. She never really talked to him, but she knew enough to know he never really talked about his past. She knew he had it rough, but not the whole story. "I'm sorry. No kid should have to go through all that." She said, giving him a small half smile. She finished up her coke and set the empty glass aside. "We should check everything out to make sure we're still good and get some rest. I'll find us somewhere to sleep for the night." She said, getting up as she went to search for some blankets and pillows.

After finding some upstairs, she made them a pallet on the ground in the living room, tossing two pillows down. Removing her boots and taking her sweater off, leaving her in just a black camisole, she sat on one side of the pallet. Resting her chin on her knees, Maggie sighed softly and closed her eyes as the days events played itself over and over in her head.​

Daryl sat silently as he contemplated what he just shared. There were times where he did think back on how life would be different if his old man was somewhat responsible. Maybe they'd all be on some farm like Maggie's family. Then again, his past prepared him for now. It was odd how criminal behavior and hunting was a blessing in this time and place. Back when the world was still sane, he'd be just another redneck that the cultured folks looked down on.

"Don't be," he finally said. "I sure as hell ain't. I'll go have a look around. Make sure there aren't any surprises. Stay out of the basement. Sealed it already and didn't clear it."

Walking throughout the first floor, Daryl was still satisfied with the wooden fortifications on the windows. They'd probably break if a horde came through, but it'd keep most of the walkers out until they could get out. There was a backdoor, which he already secured with more noise makers. Everything seemed to check out. Settling by a window, Daryl looked out into the darkness of the night. Though he couldn't hear anything, he was sure walkers were already out and about. He imagined misfortunate survivors getting torn into or the things simply shambling about. He was glad that it wasn't him. He was still kicking. Maggie's company didn't hurt either.

Moving to the living room, he saw Maggie resting her head against her knees. Now that he had a moment, he couldn't deny that the woman was beautiful. Glenn must be kicking himself in the face for losing someone like that he thought. Wasn't his business to voice his opinion though. Opting for a couch that faced the entrances to the room, Daryl settled in nicely as he closed his eyes. His body was tired. He was tired. But there was something else to it. He felt like he let the whole group down. If he had tracked harder, searched harder, maybe been more vigilant, nobody would've died. Just that piece of shit one-eyed devil.

"How're you holding up?" Breaking the silence, he looked back to where Maggie was sitting. Maybe it wasn't the best timing to ask her about current circumstances, but Daryl felt that any normal person would've asked. Courtesy or something he figured. "You think Judy got out? Rick and Carl? The others?"

He regretted asking. Daryl's guilt increased tenfold as he rattled off the names. It was his fault. He let them all down.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Maggie heard Daryl's heavy footsteps as he finished checking through the house and came into the living room where she was located. She didn't lift her head up. She heard him come into the living room and lay on the couch that faced the entrance. It was then she looked up when he spoke to her, asking how she was holding up. "I'm okay, I guess." She said, but if he could see her eyes they didn't match her calm and collected voice. Maggie looked over in his direction. "How 'bout you?" She asked curiously, and when he asked if she thought any of the others got out, Maggie turned back away. She wasn't sure if they did or not, but she hoped so, especially baby Judith, and if she did Maggie only hoped she was with good people.

"I don't know.. I hope so. The bus was gone, but we haven't found it yet, so.." She said softly, closing her eyes. Maybe that was a good thing. She waited for a few minutes before standing up, she wasn't sure what she was doing. "I'm going to the bathroom." She said, heading in the direction of the bathroom, but stopped in front of the basement. Looking back towards the direction of the living room, Maggie stood there, contemplating opening the door or not to see what was hidden in there.

She stood there for several minutes before deciding on the smarter choice. After using the bathroom, she headed back to where her pallet was and laid down, covering herself up. "Good-night, Daryl.." She said, turning over on her back and looking up at the ceiling. She closed her eyes, but it took her awhile to finally fall to sleep.​

Daryl shrugged. "Its been a crazy day today," he said as he teetered on the boundaries of sleep and wakefulness. He wanted nothing more than to curl up and hit the snooze button, but a chance to talk and unwind sounded just as good to him. "Merle and I had a saying. Don't know for sure someone's gone till you see a body. Dead or alive. Their still out there. Stubborn folks to stupid to die."

Maybe mentioning Merle was a mistake. He watched Maggie walk out. Stupid big brother. He knew what Merle did. Glenn wouldn't let him forget when they busted them out. It wasn't entirely Merle's fault though. He done it to survive. Like any of them. Remembering the days of when his brother and him did the group's dirty work, he couldn't forget some of the hypocrisy that sometimes tore through the group. Regardless of what he thought, Maggie was still a friend. It didn't sit well with him what his brother did.

When Maggie came back, Daryl just nodded as she began to settle down. With nothing left to do, Daryl cozied into the couch as he slowed his breathing. For once he was grateful that his passing into his perpetual troubled sleep.

---

Daryl searched the kitchen. It was barely morning when his body forced him to get up. He left Maggie be. Poor girl could use the sleep. He busied the quiet morning with anything they could use. While the place was nice and all, they needed to get moving. He wanted to find the rest of their group, yet there was hesitance. Could he face them again? Would they blame him for Hershel? For what the Governor did? He should've tracked the bastard down!

"Just keep telling yourself that boy," he muttered to himself as he grabbed the last of the cans he could find and stuffed them into his bag. He wrapped them in cloth to dampen the noise. Settling done in a chair, he closed his eyes and leaned back. "Just another day, Daryl. Just another day..."

Daryl's words played in her head. Don't know for someone someone is gone until you see them dead. He was right about that, they all could still be alive and they just got out? Surviving.

As she slept, nightmares plagued Maggie like a disease. She tossed and turned all night, and even woke up in sweat once, but she was finally able to settle down and get some good sleep. She had fallen back asleep on her back, having kicked the blanket off her sometime in the night, she was hot anyways and didn't need it. When she woke up, the sun was streaming through the wooden boards and Daryl wasn't in his spot. He probably got up to get everything ready for them to continue their journey.

Groaning silently, Maggie sat up, her back feeling stiff from the hard ground. Why did she think that was a good idea? Sighing, she stood up and grabbed up her sweater, thinking of throwing it on, but decided against it. She still felt hot from the awful night she had, so she remained in her jeans and black camisole, slipping on her boots as she went into the kitchen.

"Well, I guess we can count you crazy. Started talking to yourself." Maggie joked as she poured herself a little bit of coke to quench her thirst. She knew it wasn't healthy, and to be honest last night was the first time she ever tried pure soda, her father didn't like it.. her face saddened as she thought of him, but she pushed it away. "We should get moving, get back on the main road instead of staying in the woods, it'll be safer." She said to him, sitting down.

"Sleep good?" She asked after a few seconds of silence.​

Daryl's eyes snapped open as he saw Maggie enter the kitchen. He shrugged his shoulders. "Find me someone who isn't a bit crazy these days," he said. "Main roads huh? Sure'll keep the walkers from surprising us. Can't say that I like the exposure though. Hate to run into unfriendly folk. Not that it matters. I'm game for either."

Cracking his neck, he slept in worse places. "Can't complain. Couch was a hell of lot more comfortable than the prison beds. Felt normal though. Sleeping in a house. Forgot about things for a bit, you know? Back to the same old shit. Survive, hide, kill, scavenge. I'm sick of it."

Laughing, Daryl dreaded walking out that door. He didn't want to face the walkers anymore or let anyone else down. His expression darkened as he looked at Maggie. "You blame me for Hershel?" he asked. "For the Governor? I saw that look yesterday when you were holding that gun. Grip on the gun, looked like you were ready to pull the trigger. If you gotta problem, say it."​

Maggie laughed softly at his comment. "Well, I like to think I'm pretty sane myself." She said, her voice both dramatic and playful. She thought for a moment to think of something they could agree on mutually. "Well... what if we stay just outside the woods? Not exposed, but we can still keep watch for the walkers and not be exposed, we'll both get what we want that way." She said to him, shrugging. "Best bet, I say." She said, sighing softly as she finished up the last little bit of soda she poured herself and scooted the glass aside.

She listened as he explained to her how he slept. "Sounds a lot better then me, but I can't say the ground is the most comfortable of places, but neither was the prison beds." She said, laughing softly. "I know, me too.." She said softly, wishing life would get back to how it use to be. Hearing him laugh warmed something inside her. It was.. nice. She hadn't heard a laugh from Daryl before and it almost made her want to forget the world how it was today.

It was over as soon as it started, though. His question took her off guard, why would he think she'd blame him for that? Did she have any reason too? Maggie frowned as she looked at Daryl, not sure what to say really to that. Sighing, she leaned forward in her seat. "Why would you think I'd blame you, Daryl?" She asked him, her voice soft and warm. Standing up, she went to kneel beside him, resting her hand on top of his. "I don't blame you for anything, Daryl. Sure.. you should have got rid of him when you had the chance.. back at Woodbury, but you didn't. It wasn't your fault what happened, don't every think that." She said to him softly.

"Don't ever think like that." She said softly, keeping her hand on top of his, her eyes staring into his face.​

What was wrong with him? Daryl fought to control himself, but he couldn't. It was easy for him, doing things for the group. Scavenging, talking, getting attached. It was something he deliberately avoided in the past. It stung when things were looking good only to have it dashed away moments later. There was little else he felt useful in save for the group. It was his grounding. Without them he was lost, as if he was once again directionless. He wanted a drink, yet he didn't.

"I should've tracked harder! Killed him when Merle ... I couldn't even save my own brother!" Daryl pulled his hand away from Maggie's touch. "But it don't matter! I know what he did, and how y'all talked about him. Governor killed him, and I finished the job up close and personal! If only I had my shit straight, your dad would still be here. Rick would still be here ... people would still be safe behind those goddamn prison walls..."

Daryl could feels his shoulder shake. Was he crying? What a pussy he thought to himself. Merle would've called him a pussy, his father would've laughed as if it were the funniest thing in the world, and he would probably join them. "I'm sorry ... I am," he said. He heard his voice and hated it. Sounded like a broken radio. "I should've done something in Woodbury ... but I couldn't. I tried, but I couldn't. There were so many things happening; we had to get you out..."

Wiping his eyes, Daryl took a deep breath. "Fucking embarrassing," he said finally. "Why the hell are you being so nice? Shouldn't you hate me? Cause of Merle? Couldn't even keep an eye on your goddamn sister..."​

What happened next was something Maggie would have never expected, especially from Daryl. She wanted to say something, calm him down, tell him it was okay but like he told her, it was best just to let it out, even if it meant crying a little here and there, and that's what she was letting him do. Let it out. She stood up, her hands falling by her sides when he pulled from his touch. "Daryl, stop it! None of this was your fault. You wasn't the one out there, you wasn't the one to nearly chop his head off, and you wasn't the one to turn Merle! You did what you had to do, for the group!" She said, not realizing she had raised her voice. "We don't even know if they're dead or not, they could still be okay, we just need to have faith and look for them, not give up. Daddy always taught me to never give up." She said, her voice growing softer now.

She noticed his shoulders shaking, but couldn't see his face, though she could hear by his breathing he was crying. Crying. She shook her head, she knew he wouldn't be able to see her, but still. She knelt back down beside him and did something she wasn't expecting herself to do. She took her hands and placed them on either side of her face, turning his head to face her. "Stop it." She said, wiping his tears with her thumbs. "None of this was your fault, I don't know how many times I've got to say it." She said, her voice sounding sincere and honest.

The next thing she did was unexpected, stupid sure, she wasn't even sure why she did it. Maggie leaned in and gave Daryl a kiss on the mouth. It was quick, but soft. She pulled back slowly. A noise outside distracted her. She stood up and grabbed her knife, going to the source. Probably just a lone zombie stumbling upon them. She opened the door and she she saw nearly caused her to have a heart attack. It wasn't just one, but several and they were growing in size.

"Daryl, we've got to go!" She cried out, slamming the door shut and quickly gathering all her things, the walkers clawing at the door outside as she threw on her sweater and grabbed her gun.​

Daryl was taken aback. Did Maggie just kiss him? Before he had time to think about it, he heard the noises and was already moving before Maggie came back into the room. He already had his bag with what little supplies they found as he gripped onto his crossbow. Enough with the therapy session, he swore never to let that happen again. He'd try anyway. "Come on! Through the back!"

Running through the main hall, Daryl turned a corner as the back door came into view. Opening the door, he swung at a walker as its head caved in. Looking back and noting Maggie following, he stepped over his noise maker as he ran towards the woods. They were everywhere. The walkers. They probably heard him crying. Hell, they may have smelled them for all he knew. The past few days had been eye opening for him. Firing an arrow into a walker and ramming his bow into another one, he retrieved the arrow and kept moving. "Maggie! Come on!"

He continued to run but made sure he stayed close enough to his companion. It always went like this. Find a place to hide, get noticed, and then run. He was sick of it. There were days where he wanted to go on a slaughter fest and do himself in. Say goodbye to this messed up world. Never did he have the guts to do it though. What would he tell Merle if an after life existed? Shit got tough, couldn't deal? As if that would fly.

His breathing grew shallower as his legs started to burn. He didn't know how long they ran from the house, but it felt like hours. Seeing a creek ahead, he started to slow down. Catching his breath, he looked around. Clear for now, but he bet it wouldn't stay that way.

He opened his bag and took out a plastic water bottle. "Fill up. Don't know when we'll get another chance," he said. "You see any walker bodies in there though, forget it. Don't want any of that in us."

Maggie slung her bag over her shoulder and ran behind Daryl out the back door. How did so many get here so damn fast? Glancing around, she saw why. Not far from them someone had burned a building or something and by the looks of it, it had to have been recently since the fire was still burning and the smoke was still black. She was brought out when she felt a clammy hand grab her arm. Reacting instantly, she rammed her knife through the skull of the corpse and pushed it aside, quickly catching up with Daryl, stopping every few seconds to plunge her knife through the skull and end their life once and for all.

After they made it out of the group that invaded the house, she continued running for what felt like hours until they reached a lake. As soon as the stopped, she fell to her knees and dropped her knife, placing her hands on her burning sides as she tried to catch her breathing. Looking up at Daryl, she nodded when he told her to fill up. Looking around, she wanted to make sure there wasn't any bodies in the water and after seeing, and hoping, it was clear, she filled up the bottle.

It seemed quite and they seemed safe, right now anyways, so she sat down and took a sip of the water, still silently praying it was alright to drink. The smart idea would have been to boil it at first, but that option was opted out considering they didn't have anything to boil with. Now that they were in a quite place, Maggie thought back to the kiss and realized how stupid she had been. She wasn't even sure what to say right now, what did you normally say after something like that? Standing up, she walked over to Daryl and handed him the water. "It seems okay..." She said to him softly as she crossed her arms and looked out across the lake. The sun was at its highest, and hottest, point, it shone down on the lake, causing it to glisten, and it actually looked quite beautiful, bringing a smile on her face.​

Woman was crazy. Daryl held the filled bottle of water in his hands as he looked at it. First thing was to disinfect the water - which Maggie clearly didn't do. Taking an extra cap from his bag, he screwed it on and filled the other he had on him. No way he was going out like that. Either a gun shot wound or a bite. Infection from drinking water was just silly. He'd boil it tonight and keep an eye on his companion. He silently wished the best for her. He doubted he could bring himself to kill someone from his group. Not after everything they've been through. He would not add Maggie to that list. It wouldn't be on him.

Taking a seat on a large rock, he looked into the lake where Maggie also looked. "You wanna talk about that?" he asked. The things leading up to their scattering hung heavy in his mind. He remembered Maggie's lips against his, and he wasn't complaining about it one bit. Felt nice, but surprising all the same. "Don't tell people about what I said. When we're back with the group. Don't want their pity or nothing."

Thinking of where they should go, Daryl was finally agreeing that staying near the main roads was the best choice. They'd be able to see everything, yet the exposure sat ill with him. If they could find a dirt road - even a backroad - he'd be much happier. Maybe the others would be on the road too? No, Rick was as careful as him. Less exposure the better. Living folks weren't the friendliest these days. Governor was a fine example and so were other scavengers. He remembered a run in town a while back. Gun fight broke out, which Daryl barely escaped. He sure as hell wasn't in any hurry to get back into a situation like that.

"Been thinking of where we should go next," he said. "Figured that Beth left in that bus, right? Trace along the road and see if we can't pick it out. With luck we'll find the others."​

The question she had been dreading came out of his mouth. Biting her lip, she shrugged. "I guess I just got.. caught up in the moment.. or whatever." She said. She looked his way and nodded. "I won't.. don't tell anyone what I did either.. I probably shouldn't have.. but.. well I did. Sorry." She said, looking back out across the lake. They stayed in silence for awhile before she looked over at Daryl. He appeared to be thinking of something, by the expression on his face, and Maggie briefly wished she could read his mind. He wasn't the most open person and he was very difficult to read. She looked back out across the lake when he decided to speak again.

The bus. She hadn't even thought about that. Looking over at him, Maggie nodded. "There's got to be, right?" She asked with a small shrug. She had to cling onto the hope, sighing, she grabbed back up her bag. "We've still got plenty of daylight left ahead of us, so we should start moving." Maggie said, looking over at Daryl once more before she started off walking. At this point, she didn't care if he decided to stay with her or not, and to be honest she wouldn't have been mad if he decided not to. She almost risked their life twice by her dumb decisions, she really needed to be smarter, but losing your sister and father in the same day could distract a person.

It wasn't too long of a walk when Maggie noticed something in the distance on the road. "Beth.." She said, her voice soft as she ran to the bus, clutching onto her bag as she ran so she didn't lose any of their belongings. The bus was halfway on the road and halfway in the ditch, it wasn't a deep ditch, but deep enough to stop the bus. She felt her heart racing in her chest as she examined around the long vehicle and jumped when a walker hit the window, mouth open, trying to reach her. "No.." Maggie shook her head, trying to look in all the dirty windows to see if Beth might have been in there, but she couldn't see anything that well.​

Daryl knew that there was more to it then what Maggie was letting on. It was all in the speech. When he was still running around with Merle getting into all sorts of hell, he had to learn the tells of a liar. Body language, speech, everything. How else would he and his dumb ass of a brother survive with that crowd? Close to impossible if he were people stupid; he just never let the group knew he had it in him. He kept pace with Maggie as his eyes scanned the surrounding forest ... occasionally resting on farm girl as they kept walking. They were dumb thoughts, something that wasn't appropriate for the now. Great timing for his hormones to go berserk he thought to himself.

It wasn't long until the two came upon a bridge. Daryl's heart leapt as he saw the prison bus. The others could still be alive! Something was wrong though. As he followed Maggie to the vehicle, he could hear her cries of dismay. The state of the vehicle told him all there was to tell. Blood was smeared on the windows as the people within were no longer a part of the living. His chest grew tight as Daryl tried to see in. He couldn't see Beth or any of the original members of the group he was with. It was a relief yet sad. They were good people. All of them.

He walked over to Maggie and placed a hand on her shoulder. "She might not have been on the damned thing," he said. "Only way to know for sure is to go in. This one's up to you. I'll help."​

Maggie felt Daryl place a hand on her shoulder, but she barely noticed as she stared at the bus, wondering if her sister or any of their friends was on there. She knew she had to find out, and when Daryl offered to help her find out, she didn't need to think about, so instead she nodded. "I have to." She said and grabbed her knife out of it's sheath, walking to the back of the bus. "And she was, Daryl. She was on it when the bus left, I saw her on it." She said. Part of her did hope Beth got on the bus and left, but that'd mean more then likely she was.. one of them, but she could have got off, right? Beth was strong and fast.

Maggie closed her eyes, gripping onto the knife. If she wasn't on here, she either never got on or she escaped, either way she had to be alive. "Just let one out at a time.. I can do it, Daryl." She said, opening her eyes to glance over at him. "I just need to know.. if she isn't on there she could still be out there, she just has to be." Maggie said, blinking a few times to keep herself from letting the tears roll down her face.

"Let's get this over with.." She said in a soft voice.

Daryl followed close behind as he kept his eyes trained on the bus. He recognized some of the faces. Some he didn't really care for and others a lot. Though Maggie said Beth was on the bus, the damn girl still had that teenage rebellious phase. When things were going down while her sister was out fighting, Beth probably ran out. It was one huge assumption, but Daryl betted his chips on that. He hoped he was right.

Moving to the bus's door, he waited for Maggie as she grounded herself. Losing Hershel was already hard on Maggie. If she lost Beth too? Daryl wasn't too sure about Maggie's state of mind. When he heard she was ready, Daryl cranked the bus handle as the dead smashed against it. His muscles strained as he tried to filter one out at a time.

He almost had one until the wave of bodies crashed against the flimsy door. "Maggie!" He said. "Better get that knife of yours ready!"

Unable to hold them back any longer, the door burst open. Daryl backed away as he lifted his crossbow. Trying to scan the faces for Beth, he started shooting those that clearly wasn't the younger Greene.

He heard Maggie fight somewhere near him, but he couldn't worry about her yet. There were a ton of walkers, and they required his attention first. Scanning faces and putting them down, he was relieved he hadn't seen Beth yet.​

Status
Not open for further replies.