Nintendo Switch

My dad finally got himself a Switch recently and has been having tons of fun in BotW. He recently found a horse with ridiculous blond hair and named it "Fabio", and then he found a blue horse that so far is only called "blue horse". It's hilarious to watch XD

Naming horses can be a real struggle, given that you have to name them on the spot if you want to register them at the stable. XD A lot of my horses' names were just based off of whatever color they were, because I couldn't think of anything else. But that became a problem after I wound up with a lot of black horses and went through names like "Midnight" and "Ebony" and eventually ran out of good black horse names. XD (In hindsight, I now realize that I somehow never thought of "Shadow", which I guess is normally reserved for black cats and dogs, but like... I guess it could do in a pinch.)

I also caught the "giant horse" from that one side-quest and was tempted to name him "Goliath" or "Titan" or some other cool-sounding name for a giant. But all the giant-based names I could think of just sounded really cliche. So eventually I just settled for... Lorge.

Because he is very lorge.

ALSO I find it a bit strange that the better a horse's stats are, the more solid its fur color will be. Like, I get that this gives you an easy way to look at a herd of horses in the wild and scope out which ones are the best, but like... it also means that the horses with the most intricate and interesting fur patterns are the least valuable and will probably be the first ones you release from your stable to make room for better ones. XD Meanwhile the only completely solid-colored horses I've seen were plain white and plain black (and the white horse was a super-special, descended-from-the-royal-family's-horses type of horse that you only get as part of a side-quest, and it apparently counts as a completely separate species from the normal horses). And most horses I've seen that were even close to a solid color were either mostly-black or mostly-brown. Which is probably why I have too many black horses and not enough black horse names.

Though, I was looking at the games that are planned to be released for the Switch, and it looks like it's getting a lot of 3rd-party games this time around o_o

Which means Nintendo is learning from the Wii U's mistakes. And that's a good thing.

• Love
Reactions: Joan
Also if you buy the Wolf Link amiibo then Wolf Link can follow you around in BotW and bark his head off at every last bird he sees and it's honestly kind of hilarious. Just thought I'd throw that detail out there.

It's a good thing I have it then :P I got it from pre-ordering Twilight Princess HD :D

Reactions: Kagayours
It's really not, though, it is soo much more than that. This is coming from someone who does not typically enjoy the open world genre. I tried soo many times to get into games like Skyrim and Fallout, and I just couldn't, but Breath of the Wild is on a whole different level. You'd really be missing out greatly if you continue to dismiss it as "just another open world game".
@Quiet One

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautifully stunning game that prefers to usual actual visual landmarks to make you go exploring on your volition instead having a map menu littered with tons and tons of "icons" that just cover your entire screen. I'm super glad it's a huge success too. I've never been a fan of the series to begin so maybe I'm just a little harsher on it? The last Zelda game I enjoyed was Wind Waker.

@SacredWarrior

Damn you! You've just made me want to get a Switch >:[.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautifully stunning game that prefers to usual actual visual landmarks to make you go exploring on your volition instead having a map menu littered with tons and tons of "icons" that just cover your entire screen. I'm super glad it's a huge success too. I've never been a fan of the series to begin so maybe I'm just a little harsher on it? The last Zelda game I enjoyed was Wind Waker.
That's fair, I'll admit my viewpoint can be rather biased since I've been a huge Zelda fan for as long as I can remember.

@Quiet One

@SacredWarrior

Damn you! You've just made me want to get a Switch >:[.
@Darog, I was never a big fan of the Zelda games until BOTW. They looked fun, but things like specific dungeon items always turned me off to the franchise. The first Zelda game I ever bought for myself was Phantom Hourglass, and I couldn't figure out how to start the adventure. I ended up giving it away. I have Link Between Worlds now, and it's really fun, but I still get annoyed by the items that are only useful in certain areas and while everyone complains the bosses in BOTW look the same - and yeah, they're right - at least they have a theme. The bosses in Link Between Worlds don't look like they have anything to do with the dungeon, save for the mechanic to defeat them. What does a giant plant monster have to do with a desert dungeon, I ask you?

I instantly fell in love with BOTW because there's like five solutions to any problem. In a cold environment? You can either carry a torch, keep a fire arrow drawn the entire way, carry a flame weapon, cook a cold resistance meal, or have cold resistant clothes. Plus - I'm sorry to fans of classic Zelda - but Link's green outfit always looked stupid to me. More specifically, the hat. It just served no purpose. THIS Link has so many more customizable options.

For once, I don't have to worry about the right way to solve a particular obstacle to my exploration. Before it was "I need to find special gloves so I can move this big rock blocking my path". Now it's "Fuck you, big rock! I'll just use stasis and hit you a couple times and you go soaring away! Oh, nothing interesting under you? I'll just jump over you. Yeah, I can jump now!" That's what makes BOTW not just another open world. It relies less on skill (though it's absolutely still needed) and more on creativity, more so than other open world games. Trust the inventor of the genre to do open worlds right.

Yeah, I know you ended up praising the game in your last post, but I just sort of...got off on a tangent. Sorry.

The first Zelda game I ever bought for myself was Phantom Hourglass.
Oh boy, Phantom Hourglass was probably one of the worst games you could have picked for your first foray into the Zelda series. I don't know if I would consider Phantom Hourglass a bad game, but I would certainly consider it, as well as Spirit Tracks, to be more along the lines of a spin-off than a main series game.
I still get annoyed by the items that are only useful in certain areas
That's always been a major problem with the series as a whole for at least as far back as Ocarina of Time, believe me, you are not alone; many Zelda fans, including myself, are just as annoyed by that as you are.
I'm sorry to fans of classic Zelda - but Link's green outfit always looked stupid to me. More specifically, the hat. It just served no purpose.
Well, I mean, that's just personal preference, but I have to agree that it does look a little stupid. I feel like that's kinda the whole point, though. Link is often treated as this legendary hero, both in game and by fans, but in reality he's a bit of a dork, and the green outfit is meant to emphasize that. It's a lot more obvious in games where Link is more expressive, such as Wind Waker or Skyward Sword.

Always looked like he's wearing either a sleepy cap (which since he seems to like naps, kind of makes sense) or a flaccid dunce cap. XD

Thanks, Candy. Sweet, sweet Squid Candy. ;)

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
I assume you have Splatoon 2?
Of course! That was one of main incentives for buying a Switch in the first place, aside from Mario and Zelda. Although, I've barely touched the game for the past couple weeks, I really should get back into it.

Has anyone ran into this problem with the Switch? Also has anyone bought any recent releases for the Switch other than Super Mario Odyssey?