Nikaigan: Run n' Gun Jungle

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The restaurant was starting to thin out. Boyar's grenade did a good job of clearing out the door. Fox felt the vents vibrate and the metal tunnel hum from the explosion.

"Hey, easy!"

In the kitchen, Diva downed an enemy. Before she was forced back into cover, her shots grazed another. It left the gangster injured, but still able to fight. The round punched through the first layer of his cybernetic arm, but the damage was enough to ensure his aim would suffer.

Fox kept crawling, passing a few grates. He couldn't see much besides carpet through them. As he moved along, the next grate came not from below, but from above. He could hear someone speaking. They spoke in Japanese, very informally too. He was hard to hear over all the noise, but he could make out words.

"Why the hell not? We're getting our asses kicked over here! Hey!... Hey! Hello?"

Downstairs, Uplink wrestled with Love Machine for control of the systems. Love Machine was good.

"Mmm, nice tricks, kiddo." his voice came through the speaker system, "Yeah, not bad. Not bad at all."

Uplink had to choose a strategy. In the end, most of the smaller systems were left to Love Machine while she focused on getting into one of the more heavily guarded systems. In the end, Love Machine kept control of the doors and cameras, but Uplink wrestled something just as valuable. Short ranged comms. They could hear what the Yakuza were transmitting. From what she could gleam, the police were right outside. SWAT vans and police cruisers were set up west of the building. They weren't moving in yet, but small airborne drones were looking in through the windows.
After passing it over to Diva, she'd get to have a little conversation with someone outside the building.

The earpiece crackles for a moment as the connection is patched in. A male voice becomes audible. Judging by the sound of cars in the background, he must be outside somewhere.

Zzzzzt
"Maruyama? Maruyama, you still there? Boss says to bug out. Maruyama?"

"Sorry," Diva replied in relatively formal Japanese. "This isn't Maruyama, this is Diva."

"Dee-va? Wait, who is this!?"

"One of the runners." She didn't have any reason not to be blunt about it.

"Runners? The hell do you want?" By the way he speaks, he clearly isn't a high ranking member. He was most likely a scout posted outside the restaurant that couldn't (or decided not to) get in when the fighting started.

She considered telling the truth sbout their objective, but decided to keep that bit to herself, for the moment. "Right now? Out of the kitchen. What was that about bugging out earlier?"

"That was none of your goddamn business is what it was. Get off this channel, Runner-lady, I got nothing to say to you."

"Wait, wait. I know we're in the middle of a firefight here, but you are talking to someone who can get your own men a clearer way out."

There's a pause. "Boss says the situation's fucked. We're getting our guys out. You Runner pricks are the ones who caused this; you're on your own."

"Seems that way, yeah. I wasn't expecting any help, but I can at least offer getting out without us shooting at you."

"Lotta talk comin' from the pricks who started all this. Why should I even trust or wanna help you, anyway?"

Diva sighed. "You don't really have much reason to, unless you take a professional at her word. I'll give you this much for free, this Love Machine jackass ain't with us, in case he's not running security for this joint."

"Love Machine? What do you know about Love Machine?"

"Not much. He's had control of the building's systems for a while, been messing around over the PA and subjecting the place to his taste in music. Honestly not sure whose side he's on, but he's not part of my crew, I know that for certain."

"We agree on one thing, Runner-lady. If I never hear that guy again, it'll be too soon."

"So he's not one of yours, then?" Damn bastard's trying to edge in on their job, then. She'd definitely be sure he paid for that. "Sounds like he's going to have his fair share of trouble."

"Hey, I never said he wasn't working for us... well... fine, he's not with us. He showed up a few days ago and he's been screwing us every chance he gets. Soon as you guys showed up, we assumed he was with you. Guess the boss'll be interested to hear he ain't."

"I like to think our hacker has better taste in music. This job's the first time we've even been here. The hell's this guy's angle anyway?" At this point, she was just venting a bit of her own frustration.

"I wouldn't tell you even if I knew. Let's not forget you're all the reason for this mess. But tell you what. You sound cute; how about you give me your number and I'll forget I met you here."

"Yeah, yeah. Not like we meant to crash your party." Diva rolled her eyes. "I'm not sure if you're seriously trying to get a date or just an easy way to track me down later. Either way, sorry, but it's really not a good time."

*click*

Elsewhere in the kitchen, Magos' attempts at getting the door open half-worked.
The large sword turned the metal door into scrap, but some of the hinges held on. The door was half open, the bottom two hinges still holding the metal in place. The locking mechanism had broken and flown across the room, the large metal bar thudding against the wall and making a sizable mark in the carefully furnished Japanese wood. A good kick would probably tear the door down now.

Inside the vent, Fox pushed against the grate. It was sealed pretty tightly. He shifted around until he was on his back and pressed his feet up against the metal. He kicked. It made a dry rattle, but it budged a little. He kicked again. Something broke and the grate was dislodged, but still attached by a few screws. He kicked one more time and the grate flipped open. Finally.

He peeked out. The nearest yakuza member was huddled by the railing. He was too busy trying to get his comms back online to look over his shoulder and see the broken grate. Fox crawled out slowly. And of course the yakuza gave up with his comm device and turned around. Fox made a beeline for one of the overturned tables and the yakuza pointed his rifle.

*CLICK*

That's what happens when you buy cheap. Shoddy rifles seem to have a sense of fate sometimes, jamming up during the absolute last moment you need them to. Fox had heard it. He sprung up behind cover and readied his PDW... only to receive a chair in the face. The gangster wasn't stupid nor was he uncreative. Fox recoiled, his Brat falling from his hands and sliding across the hardwood floor before coming to a stop. The yakuza came at him with a blade; a sharp looking combat tanto. Fox just barely jumped back as the small but wickedly sharp wooshed past his masked face. He tried to draw his sword, but his opponent had the momentum and pushed him back. The other two yakuza on the roof were aiming their weapons, but weren't firing. Fox and blade wielding yakuza were too close together, they'd risk hitting their own.

The tanto yakuza made another swing. Fox caught this one and they fought for the knife. He headbutted the gangster, the mask mostly protecting Fox. The man let go of the knife, just as Fox felt a kick against his back. The tanto fell from his hands and clattered all the way down on the first floor. Another guy joined in, with the last one watching with his gun drawn. The three punched and kicked. Fox gave one a satisfying left hook only to have another chair broken against him, reflexively arching his back in pain. That was gonna bruise.

"Enough with the..." he said as he swung, "fucking... chairs!" He shoved one away and turned to hit the other. The one he hit stumbled towards the railing. Fox kicked him and he went over the edge. His scream was cut off when he crashed into a table and turned it into splinters. He was gonna feel that in the morning. Most likely inside a jail cell.

Fox was reaching for his sidearm, ready to end the fight when he felt the first guy tackle him. His feet left the ground for a moment before his back hit the metal railing of the balcony.

CURRENT POSITIONS:
GG3xXgG.png

From his sprinter's position, Magos launched himself into the heavy door. The sound of snapping hinges heralded the door's departure from it's frame, as the metal man smashed into it. Magos grabbed hold of the door and continued to sprint across the main dining hall, bullets ricocheting off of his makeshift shield. He pushed the thought of being shot in the back out of his mind, and trusted that his teammates would provided covering fire and advance with him.

Magos came to a brief rest when he ran headlong into the far wall of the dining area. He stumbled back, and took a knee to give his wounded leg a break and collect his bearings. Taking a cursory glance upstairs he was just in time to see Fox be slammed into the railing.

"You alright, guy?" He said as he pulled Stagger Shot, and sent two rounds towards the assailant.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Magos moved forward, Boyar took the opportunity to provide support, raising his rife and peeking out of cover as the yakuza were distracted with shooting at the large, armored man with a shield.

The Russian marksman's attention first fell to the yakuza that Diva had already injured, sighting his head up and pulling the trigger. At this range, Boyar would gladly shoot himself if he missed a shot of his own volition, and his bullet tore straight through the gangster's jugular, putting him down for good.

Boyar shifted his aim to the side, sighting the leftmost yakuza. A double tap to the chest later, and he was down as well. The last remaining yakuza on the ground floor finally noticed the sniper, hearing his suppressed fire, and raised his shotgun. However, Boyar already had the man marked, and quick-drew his revolver with his left hand, emptying a .357 magnum round into the man's chest.

"Dining room ground floor clear!" Boyar roared over comms, doing one last sweep of the floor before shifting his attention upstairs. "All units move up, check corners! Boyar watching your backs!"

Status
Not open for further replies.