Mystery Thread #17 | Lyrikai & Kinu

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manna Beast

I don't trust trees. They're shady.
Original poster
5 STAR GREMLIN
STAFF MEMBER
DONATING MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. Multiple posts per week
  6. 1-3 posts per week
  7. One post per week
  8. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
All day, every day
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
-Fantasy with means of magic and sword based feelings, i do prefer a bit of romance in stories
-Modern with again a fantasy feel
-Cut in anything with a bit of Romance and I can give it a try.
@Lyrikai and @Kinu
Genre: Fantasy
Gender Preference: MxM
Post Length: 2 - 3 Paragraphs

Prompt: Character A (Lyrikai) is a bard that discovers their songs have the power to control minds! With quite the handy power at hand, they may have invested too much of their new power into swindling those of high fortune. Trying to be a new age Robin Hood, for himself! Character B (Kinu) is the newest victim that is actually immune to the bard's songs. And now, in the midst of a heist, the two characters have to figure out what to do now!

Time Limit: 10 posts each (20 in total) or July 16

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Thank You
Reactions: Kinu and Lyrikai
Oliver Grace

Oliver woke up to the harsh sunlight hitting his eyes. He'd overslept, again. Judging from how high up the sun was it had to be somewhere at noon. Groaning in protest, he rolled out of bed and yawned. Squinting as he made his way to the bathroom to freshen up change into his usual attire. He stood in front of the mirror, scrutinizing himself with his bright blue, doe shaped eyes as he did. Combing his rather unruly brown hair and pawing at his chin for any sign of facial hair he hoped would come.

"No luck today either." He sighed.

There were some light bags under his eyes from doing paper work late into the night but nothing some cream would fix. His mother had taught him the importance of maintaining his looks after all. His own father had left to attend some business in another city and his mother had gone to visit his aunt with his younger siblings in tow. Which left the young Graceling heir as the sole Lord of the mansion in their absence. A duty he had become accustomed to ever his he became of age. That was seven years ago, and now he was strapping young man of 25 years.

Straightening his cravat he smiled in the mirror and went of his room to go about his day. A new shipment of dresses his younger sisters had ordered a fews ago were set to arrive along with his mothers new set of fine porcelain. There was plenty for the young lord to do and not enough time to do it. Thankfully he had his loyal staff to depend on.

Speaking of which, "Where on earth are they?" He wondered out loud, his own voice echoing through the hallway instead of the hurried voices of the staff going about their duties.

"Fredric? Emelia?"

But the loyal elderly butler and maid couple who served his family for decades were nowhere to be found. Oliver checked in the kitchens, the study or even the servants quarters. Thankfully he spot one of the maids near the stairwell, absentmindedly dusting away.

"Finally! Annie, can you tell me what on earth is going on?"

Her eyes were glazed over and so were the other staff who littered the foyer. No matter how much he tried to get their attention, no one would pay him any mind. But then he heard it, the sounds of music being played. Coming from the direction where the Parlor should be.

Only, Oliver hadn't recalled any minstrels or bards being invited over.

Tentatively, he approached the Parlor, slowly creaking the door open to see what looked to be a bard helping himself to the trinkets that lined his shelves while singing a merry little song.

"Pardon," He couldn't help but glance the bard who was in mid song, up and down then to his seemingly entranced servants then back to the bard in utter bewilderment.

He opened his mouth to ask but hesitated, a part of him wondered if this was all a dream. It would certainly explain the events that played out before him. Then again, if it was, there was no harm in trying. "Who. . . are you?"
Mood Location Appearance Tags

(Hey hey! Nice to meet you! Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want :))

• Love
Reactions: Lyrikai
(Hey there!! Nice to meet you, too! :D )

Voice carried high in song, the bard busied himself through his latest mansion prowl. It was so easy to let oneself inside when you could literally sing your way into another's heart. With a few well places lyrics and a provocative lilt to the voice, hearts and minds alike gave their way to the whims of the bedazzling nature of the Silver Nikkol. An apt name it was; one among many. He had plenty others, but that was the name of the day. Not his true name, no, never his true name, but it was the one that had the sway, the power. People flocked from all over to hear the beloved Silver sing. He had the power. He was in control.

Why shouldn't he allow himself to indulge?

He hadn't asked for this power, but it would have been foolish not to put it to use... right?

What did these people need with these treasures anyway when they were so much better in his hands? At least he would use them for something other than displaying upon shelves to flaunt his wealth! Well... the wealth he didn't have without this gift. He'd been giving it for a clear and plain reason.

And that reason was this in its entirety.

Greed.

Need he a better one?

So enthralled in his looting, so lost in his song, he hardly even noticed footsteps approaching until a voice called out. Letting out the most undignified yelp, he turned and something clattered to the floor behind him, forgotten from where he'd been in the middle of swiping it off a shelf. "Oh!" Well well well, now this was a surprise, wasn't it? He was absolutely certain everyone in this mansion had been put deep under his spell. Maybe this man was deaf? Could he not hear the song? How was he not affected?

Lips slowly peeling into an innocent smile, he raised his hand in a small wave. "Ah... Hello there. Lovely day we're having, isn't it?"

• Love
Reactions: Kinu
Oliver Grace

Oliver was at an utter loss at this man's nonchalant attitude while he attempted to rob his family and whatever else he did to the staff. He isn't hostile, no, more so confused?

'But I should be the one confused, not the other way around!' He thought indignantly.

In that moment Oliver wracked his head trying to think of a way to go about this. This man could be dangerous. Then again, that yelp of his earlier was rather pathetic sounding. . .

Or perhaps he was just dimwitted-

'Preposterous, no way this kind of scheme could possibly be conducted by an idiot!'

This whole confused act was probably a ruse of some sort. This man had come into his home without a care in the world and had his entire staff under some sort of spell. And the poor heir was all alone without any other help to fight off this lone cur who could have been armed for all he knew!

"I. . . ."

His eyes darted all over the room, looking for anything he could use to his advantage. There was always running of course but that was too embarrassing to be an option. Running to the village and telling them the manor was being sacked and the staff completely out of it was an idiotic thing to do lest his family return to an empty house.

So, he clenched his jaw and decided to play it safe.

"Well, I suppose?" He replied in a light hearted tone and a hopefully relaxed smile. He was never really any good when it came to interacting with 'these' kinds of people. But it was either this or potentially getting maimed or something worse.

He coughed to clear his throat and make his tone seem more welcoming. "Though, the gardens are far lovelier than it is inside. Quite stuffy isn't it?" Casually walking past the man, he drew back the curtains and opened the windows to get a better view of the gardens. And the hypnotized old man carting around a wheelbarrow full of soil before he was frozen in place.

'Ah, so that's where Maurice was.' He thought sordidly.

Turning his attention back to his 'would be guest' he clasped his hands together and put on the cheeriest voice he could muster.

"Ah! Where are my manners, Oliver Grace. And who might you be?"

He hesitated to try and shake this man's hand but he did so neveretheless. With his hand held out towards the stranger he hoped he wasn't making a big mistake by trying to go along with this insanity.
Mood Location Appearance Tags

Far be it from his expectations for this man to actually join him in the casual small talk that he had attempted for... what? Levity? Distraction? Perhaps an attempt to pretend that he wasn't literally standing in this mansion's parlor swiping valuables off shelves? As if he could get away with any of those! It was obvious. He was obvious. What wasn't obvious was why this one singular fellow hadn't fallen under his spell and was even standing here to begin with to start joining him in chatting about the weather!

Ah well though. If he was already caught red handed, then there really was no point in trying to play dumb, right? He supposed he may as well be honest then. "You could call me Silver if you'd like to," he answered with a cheery smile on his face, "Though, if you'd prefer another, I can give you several. You could call me Elga or Kyt, or even Rose if you'd really like that. But I like Bryar the most actually. I think it suits me the best." He casually flipped a hand through his ebony locks, batting his eyelashes.

Maybe he could still salvage this if he played his cards right.

"It's quite interesting," he noted, raising a finger to the air. "Everyone else in this manor has so easily fallen into such a blissfully peaceful little waking slumber... everyone except you. I can honestly admit that I didn't expect that. I'm intrigued. Maybe a bit perturbed. And very much off my guard here."

Now his hands clapped together. "I've never been caught like this before. I suppose we can do any number of things here... Namely. I could run away or try to fight you. Or perhaps we can work out some kind of compromise where you don't try to run me through with a blade or chase me around your beautiful gardens out there with a shovel. Which. They truly ARE lovely. My compliments to your groundskeeper!"

Mystery Thread has been concluded due to reaching the deadline of July 16. If you both enjoyed roleplaying with another; then I highly encourage you both to continue to converse via PM or Discord if you are comfortable as such! If you wish to use the prompt given, please feel free to do so!

If you wish to participate in another Mystery Thread, just reply to your PM'd Application and request Manna Beast and/or Miyu to set you up for another one!

Thank you for participating! It was a joy to read along!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Lyrikai
Status
Not open for further replies.