Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Action, Adventure, Romance, Magical, Fantasy, Furry, Modern, Supernatural, Naurto, RWBY, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Avatar/Korra, Hunter, Games, Fandoms
I'm normally not one for seeking advice for a problem as I tend to tackle it alone and head-on.
Lately because of my lack of success with RP's despite doing the right things and explaining I have gotten a couple of them lately that was left hanging at the RP planning phase. On the one hand I feel so frustrated that it happened but on the other hand I feel mostly frustration and at times depressed (if that makes sense).
I feel like what i am asking for at times seems either out of reach or not very appealing to people (out of date) and at times I've honestly felt like leaving and not coming back because of it.
At times whatever RP's i have i am also waiting for a reply or if they forgot about it which has me vexed also. It's like whatever road i have I'm bound to hit a dead end sooner or later and it doesn't help me feel positive much in the slightest because i feel like it's another thing to chalk up that is against me.
What is your advice and thoughts on this because i do not know which way to go right now...

Listen, man.

Keeping RP's running is hard.

Lots of people think that they're total failures just because they couldn't keep an RP alive, when really... most RP's die. It's the nature of the beast.

I see that you're a 1x1 RPer. Personally, I think that 1x1 RP's are even more likely to die. Or, at the very least, they're a lot harder to save when something goes wrong.

I do group RP's. And group RP's can die in a whole lot of ways, too. But what I like about group RP's is: there are a lot of different factors at play, and an experienced GM can see which factors are causing problems for their RP, and therefore cut out those problematic factors in order to keep the rest of the RP alive. For example, if one player in a group RP disappears and holds everyone else up, the GM can remove that player and allow everyone else to move on, thus ensuring that the rest of the RP stays strong. But in a 1x1 RP, if one person disappears... that's it. Game over.

And that means that two partners in a 1x1 RP have to be super in-sync in order to make an RP work for a long time. They have to be really good at plotting, and communicating when there's problems, and they have to like each other's writing style, and be good at keeping each other inspired. Because if any of those factors are missing, and one player finds that they aren't having a very good time or just don't have enough to work with... well, that's the end.

To me, 1x1's feel like incredibly delicate systems for these very reasons. And they're also the reasons why, personally, I don't do 1x1 RP's. o_o"" It feels like the only way to run a successful 1x1 RP is for the stars to align and for you to find your One True Partner who was just made for you, or something. Group RP's may have more moving parts to worry about, but they also have a lot more lifelines when things go awry.

Now, why am I telling you all of this? Mainly to emphasize that it's not your fault. You are not a failure at RPing. You are not cursed. People don't hate you or anything. This is just how 1x1 RP's... are when conditions aren't perfect.

So, if you want a successful 1x1 RP, all I can really tell you is... keep trying. Keep searching. Eventually you're bound to find a partner who works really well with you. Until then... well, just don't get encouraged. Because it isn't your fault. You're just up against some really tricky odds. :/

If you want more concrete advice about running a successful 1x1 RP -- ideally from people who actually have experience with such a thing, I recommend seeking out threads about that very topic in the Roleplay Skillbuilding or Roleplay Help forums.

Reactions: Kit Kat
Hmm maybe I'll keep trying but to me it feels like people aren't interested in what i want. Yes i have most experience in 1x1 RP's and i don't like groups based on the amount of people in them and all the other factors that comes along with that so i tend to stay away from those. As much as i really want to not be left hanging i don't know if i want to do that knowing there's a chance of it happening again.

Status
Not open for further replies.