My boyfriend told me the ending of Bioshock Infinite and I sobbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Last of Us. Haven't played it myself, but by all accounts the story and character arcs are extraordinary.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THAT ONE.

Yes, The Last of Us. Play it on easy, because it is a bit on the tougher end of things for most gamers, but it is an amazing story-telling event. It will leave you in all sorts of feels, I guarantee it.

Reactions: Torsty
Same goes for The Elder Scrolls (the series Skyrim belongs to) and Fallout, both by Bethesda. There are some great lore videos online that allow you to find out about the universe behind the games without having to play them, and make it significantly easier to get a broad view of the world as a whole considering doing it in-game requires hours of searching for books, quests, legends, etc.

And I'm gonna be butchered for this, but seriously: Halo. There are a tonne of books and stuff that expand on the comparative ambiguity of the games. For an FPS that can initially appear to be as shallow as Tetris, there's an absolute shit-tonne of back story. Next to Mass Effect this is my personal favourite for sci-fi lore amongst games.
This is all true. But it's all stuff that you need to invest time and research on the side for, rather than playing the actual game.
Might be something that works here, because it gives Taaj a way to inch in through a more comfortable medium (reading) before jumping into the game world.

But if her goal is to dive right into a game and start adapting to video games ASAP, this might be something I would suggest leaving until she has a few games under her belt.

Dues Ex (Human Revolution that is, in the 40 hours [which include many restarts]) however is a good narrative game you can understand and jump into without reading a bunch of additional lore from other places.

You should give Half-Life 2 a try. Has some excellent storytelling. :]

• Love
Reactions: Space Cowboy
Half-Life 2 actually does have a great little series of events. :D It's definitely a gamer's game, though, with more, "OMG THAT WAS AWESOME!" moments!

You should give Half-Life 2 a try. Has some excellent storytelling. :]
Be warned, getting into this series will very quickly turn you into a conspiracy theorist over the number 3.

Absolutely play Portal and Portal 2! Amazing games; super fun, and very, very funny. :D

Though note Portal is less of a story game (at least in actual game play) and more of a puzzle game.

Portal tells its story trough hints and its surroundings.

Don't play From software's "Souls" series.
Unless you become seasoned and committed.

They're great games, and very subtle lore wise which makes the story pretty interesting from what you can decipher.

There's just a ridiculous learning curve in all of them.

Do play any of the Legend of Zelda games... after 2. I think they become a bit easier after that.

Of course if you're an intense theorist... you'll probably get ticked off at the lack of consistency in the earlier games. >.>

The Deus Ex series is also fun, if you like stealthing around and punching people in the face.

Reactions: Lady B
If you have any interest in anime or its trappings, then the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games are the source of all your plot needs 8D

I hated Bioshock: Infinite. Convoluted plot that was remade in the last legs of the game's development that even the lead writer said: "I don't even understand it!".

(PC) The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. An older RPG that brought the series into full 3-D with some voice acting and more things to do than any of its successors. The fluff is amazing, the story is engrossing, and you'll probably end up sympathizing with the villain and wondering why there's no option to join him. Also gods and dreams and crazy ass flora and fauna. A single overhaul mod makes it look better than Vanilla Skyrim.

(X360/PS3) Asura's Wrath. Part graphic novel, part movie, part video game. If you don't mind QTE's and needing a cheap DLC to get the true ending it's really quite good. Also really inexpensive now that it's been out for years.

(PC) Risk of Rain. Cheap on Steam, doesn't require a powerful PC to run, simple side-scrolling platforming/shooting Rogue-lite with a eerily fitting soundtrack that fits the atmosphere like a glove. The small lore tidbits you get on the enemies are also really neat to read. Lots of replay value with 2 new classes and just about a hundred items to collect and play with, each one unique with its own little history log.

(PS3/X360/PC) Bioshock 1+2. Gems compared to the rough-cut that was Infinite without the forced waifu. Better gameplay, a setting that isn't completely wasted, and a protagonist that doesn't tell you how you should feel.

(PC) Space Engine. Requiring a rather beastly computer if you're wanting to explore the vastness of the cosmos, it gives a sense of scale that is awe-inspiring. From flying off Earth's surface to sit on the moon and zip over to Mars to watch Sol rise over Olympus Mons before zipping out well beyond Light-years in speed to land on an alien world and watch it's dual suns orbit in tandem. All of this before you visit the galactic center of some distant spec of another galaxy to find it's super-massive black hole. Hope you like feeling small, this simulator definitely fills that role.

Also relevant:
bioshock_infinite_vs_half-life_2.jpg

Booker comes back in the DLC. Making Infinite's ending completely moot.

Gonna make an addendum to my above post - Heavy Rain. Again, never owned it myself, but I played a lot of it at my friend's back when it came out. Super easy to get into from a gaming perspective as it's just quick-time events (press triangle, spam circle, press left, etc.). It's more like an interactive movie, from that perspective - and apparently it had an excellent, tense story and good characters. To quote one review: "This may very well be the most "human" game ever made." Can get dark as shit at some points, considering it's a detective story about a guy trying to track down a serial killer, but yeah, this is probably a good place to go for story-heavy but mechanically-simple gaming.

- and apparently it had an excellent, tense story and good characters.

Extremely debatable. I would not reccomend this game to anyone. The charachters felt dead and artificial to me. Telltale games does everything it does but better. If you want to spend three times the money of a movie on a poorly voice acted movie, then heavy rain is your thing :P

Beyond: Two Souls was alot better.

It was just as silly a Heavy Rain, but this time they had Ellen Paige!
... I give it a 7.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
5306952+_acb3ff30202fa73f498cc20f1179061f.jpg

Seriously, go for anything Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

Mass Effect Trilogy is worth the time, Borderlands is also a blast.

• Love
Reactions: Dervish
Bioshock 2 slightly made the gameplay and mechanics more fluid and solid, that's it.

Bioshock 2 is pretty much a good " cash in" sequel with a meh plot and a forced multiplayer section. Compared to the original it's a knock off. Plus it really butchers the terror and might of Big Daddies because you play as one. That's my opinion though. It just doesn't compare to both the first game and Infinite.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but really I'm not sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.