Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is the Future and the Future is Bleak

• Omega Men

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
joan marry me

jk someone appreciating my effort is not enough basis for a stable and healthy marriage, only a lasting and benefiting mature friendship that provides social and self-fortifying reward and satisfaction. I love you as a friend. Thank you very much. Don't change.
I'm taken in any case :P but glad you appreciate my appreciation, heh.

Awesome job @Greenie !! You did amazing I really liked that one, well written!

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Winners are in!

One minor note: the author of Second Chance accidentally voted for their own entry, but did come to us immediately to fess up. Since it was an accident and too late to restart the poll, we did not disqualify the entry, we decided to simply factor in their intended vote: Dark Sky. This did not affect the outcome of the poll, however.

The Community Pick is, as you may have seen, Pathfinder by @Grumpy!

The Manager's pick is Function Interval by... @HerziQuerzi again. D:< GODDAMMIT, WHY YOU WRITE SO GOOD.

Congratulations to the winners and to ALL the participants for managing to write something this month! It's not too late to review, so please do that if you haven't already.

Congrats! Awesome job!

Time to throw in my reviews before I run off to bed. I've been sick and did a last minute read of the entries at work last night to help choose a winner. Below are some brief thoughts and criticisms, and I apologize in advance for the brevity and bluntness, but it's probably better than nothing.

Pathfinder - Solid plot, but it felt a bit slow at times. I noticed enough typos to feel the need to suggest a more thorough editing process. The speech style of having people speak English peppered with non-English words and phrases can be neat and add flavor, but it started feeling overbearing about halfway through, like food that has juuuust a bit too much garlic in it. The ending was rather predictable and wasn't very satisfying, so it ended on a low note for me.

Little Miss Robin Hood - There were some technical things that made reading a bit of a struggle, like typos and overuse of commas and sentence fragments. The plot felt like it dragged on way too long (while going rather far afield from being a caper story), and for a story that ultimately revolved around the relationship between Vic and Kyle it didn't do a great job of building emotional investment in either of those characters. The modern day setting with fantasy races was neat though, and I would have liked to see that more fleshed out.

Function Interval - The recruitment montage, complete with jump cuts to link the conversations together like it would be done in a movie, was nicely done. The dialogue was generally pretty snappy and witty, pretty solid style choice that kept it feeling lighthearted and in the spirit of a caper story. The magic shenanigans were cool and made for a neat addition to the whole heist thing, but on the flip side using magic that isn't well explained does tend to detract from how satisfactory it is for an audience when magic solves problems, which was a factor that made the ending fall a bit flat for me since it was just "he magicked his way out of all the problems" in the end.

Dark Sky - Well that was dark. Nicely done, but brutal. As much as I would like to know more about the exact nature of the Great Darkness and why it caused technology to fail, leaving it as a looming mystery works well for the story. The one flaw I can point to, and depending on your intent it could be either minor or a big one, is that there wasn't enough done to make Jackie a sympathetic and relatable character. If you wanted her death to be a big emotional punch at the end then you didn't pull it off imo, but if you were looking for her death to be just grim and bleak then you nailed it.

RAM Heist - This was an odd read for me. I got really mixed signals on the tone from early on, and that continued throughout. The whole end of the world explanation made it seem pretty grim and the rest of the non-dialogue stuff reinforced it, but the dialogue made it seem very lighthearted and fun to start. There weren't any signs I could find that these were people who were fighting against despair or anything, they seemed to legitimately just be chill about the whole thing up until the one guy got shot. Even then the dialogue tone didn't switch serious, it just waffled around in the middle until the final scene. That just does not work well for what is otherwise a serious and dark story, especially one that is meant to end with an emotional twist right into a bittersweet finale. The tone discrepancies made it impossible for me to connect with these characters, and as such the ending didn't do anything for me.

This is the Future - Honestly I'm not even sure what to say about this one. It's a little weird, and it has some poetic flare to it with the repeated but morphed line ("I remember when I was a kid I knew right from wrong") acting as a common thread to carry the whole story. I've seen various things that aim to show negatives to modern life and technology, but usually they're stuffy articles rather than stories written in an engaging stream of consciousness style. The one major criticism I have is that it's a pretty poor fit for the prompt: I'm guessing you were going for Cyberpunk, but it's really tenuous since the talk of robots is the only thing that really fits.

Omega Men - That is a hell of a mouthful of a name to open the story with, lol. The perspective being fluid and seeming to swap back and forth between the brothers on a whim wasn't great, would've been better to firmly stick with one to build reader investment. I enjoyed the concept, far future tourists stuck on Earth in its final days, but it lacked a sense of tension. All the desperation and struggle was sort of an aside mention with the story bouncing quickly between active bits, no real sense of time passing, so I never really managed to care about their problems since they seemed to be in the background rather than a pressing matter.

Second Chance - That was a whole lot of technobabble and not much else. There was precious little detail to be had about anything. I gather it was supposed to be some kind of time travel scenario and the guy was, what, stuck in a loop instead of just going way far back? There was so little there that I couldn't even begin to care before the story was done. I see what you were going for the with text meant to look like computer activity, but it didn't really add anything worthwhile in my opinion. This entry could have done with a whole lot more fleshing out to give the reader time to build up to caring about this guy and what's going on, then hit them with the twist.

aaa1.png

Dark Sky - Well that was dark. Nicely done, but brutal. As much as I would like to know more about the exact nature of the Great Darkness and why it caused technology to fail, leaving it as a looming mystery works well for the story. The one flaw I can point to, and depending on your intent it could be either minor or a big one, is that there wasn't enough done to make Jackie a sympathetic and relatable character. If you wanted her death to be a big emotional punch at the end then you didn't pull it off imo, but if you were looking for her death to be just grim and bleak then you nailed it.
Thanks for the review!

Jackie wasn't really meant to be someone to sympathize with- her death was more to symbolize a bleak world where there is no real point to live on so why fight it.

Reactions: Jorick
Also, Congrat @HerziQuerzi and @Grumpy!!! :confetti:

Also Thanks to everyone who voted for my story ^_^ I'm glad to hear people enjoyed it!

Oh shit, thanks my dudes.

Every time I do MISC I tell myself "I'mma totally pace myself and get this shit written with enough time to edit things/re-work shit" and every fucking time I find myself furiously scrambling to submit the damn entry at the last minute. 'Pathfinder' needs some tweaking (yo errybody who spotted typos pls tell me where and I will love you forever), but I'm really glad folks enjoyed it enough to vote for it. I'll try and respond to the peoples who gave specific feedback as well, cos I really do appreciate people taking the time to sit down and tell me what they thought.

The genres we got thrown at us really brought out some dope as fuck entries, and I confess to really agonising over my final two favourites. @HerziQuerzi hands down wrote a better story than me, from my perspective, and the Manager's Pick is well deserved: you nailed the themes of cyberpunk in a really potent way without getting too genre-aggrandising the way I did, and Function Interval oozed style. I may have gone for Dark Sky with my vote in the end, but if this contest was running when I was in less of a nihilstic grimdark kick it could easily have gone the other way. Kudos, my dude.

Meanwhile @Greenie HOW ACTUALLY THE FUCK DOES SOMEONE AS SWEET AND BUBBLY AS YOU COME OUT WITH A SUCKERPUNCH LIKE THAT. You took that apocalyptic genre tag and you ran with it, all the way past the line a lot of people are willing to cross, and I respect the hell out of it. I am an absolute sucker for a story that embraces the savage extremes of an apocalyptic story (the clue's in the title, shit is permanently fucked yo), and you pulled that off here in a big way.

Reviews on demand, b/c they're long, taxing, and I'm not a nice person and won't couch my opinions.

@Greenie

Dark Sky Review:

Warning – Biases. Things I considered awkward stylistically but not technically are included.

"readying to sacrifice her" awkward phrasing, though not grammatically offensive. The "then" in this same sentence is also unnecessary and breaks the flow a little, but both minor stylistic choices. Same problem next paragraph, "groan emitting from her" vs "emitting a painful groan."

NICE USE OF SEMI-COLON.

Well-set beginning scene, coloring it with her memories and thoughts rather than physical imagery in the absence of anything to really describe. Also setting up the genre without directly stating the world has died or nutink.

"birthed her" is probably incorrect. The word usage itself is a little archaic, but not incorrect, but the tense is what's incorrect. "had birthed" is probably correct.

Oooooof. This whole "We were wrong, death decided to take its sweet time" line is chilling and classic. Well-done. Quotable/memorable bits are always appreciated. Also correct usage of whilst, thnk u somuch.

"Jackie was sure she'd have probably not believed her" more accurate as "Jackie was sure she would probably not have believed her." But technically a stylistic choice.

A lot of usage of slightly ambiguous pronouns. Not bad enough to utterly hinder comprehension, but enough to be confusing for a sec (which "her" is this one referring to- oh right, it's that one).

"how it must have been to live so long ago" better "what it must have been like to live so long ago" or "how the world must have been so long ago." (probably another style thing).

"but most of all it was dark" good, tying it back into the first sentence. Nice.

"not for in real life" This… seems like a typo.

"She had a picture, something Grandma had torn form a magazine a very long time ago, and when she had passed away, Jackie kept it when she had finally left what could be called her childhood house." This sentence is a bit of a disaster. It's both a run-on and includes two time-stamp statements that somewhat contradict each other. After "long time ago" the sentence can end, because any new material point is secondary. It's not technically necessary to end it there, but there's simply no point to extending it. The second half is problematic because it ambiguously assumes grandma passed away at the exact same time Jackie left her childhood house (home is more common, but that's a dumb American thing, so w/e). It's also an incorrect usage of tense and formatted awkwardly. (If you're going to say she had passed, you need to qualify something that had happened then, otherwise it should be she passed, then include the action that followed. Even if you ignored that, there are three verbs in here and "Jackie kept it" is in simple past, verses the other two which both use "had") "When she passed away, Jackie kept it." Says a different thing from, "Jackie had kept it when she had finally left what could be called her childhood house." You can't include both actions in the same sentence scrunched together. You can ask if you wanna know more specifically why. Sorry, I don't want to go on too long about a single sentence and be a nitpicky windbag.

"A long time ago" always needs a comma at the end if it starts a sentence.

Nice thing about snow, also showing not telling a clear unfamiliarity with snow, which doesn't fall everywhere in the winter, but must've in her home of origin. Might not have been intentional, but good job anyways.

"would have been no point to IT" (I'm guessing another small typo)

OKAY END PRESENT BEGIN FLASHBACK. xD

Okay good good, this is all good. Stevie being killed over something small. Why they can't see the sky anymore. Well presented, not too quickly or forwardly.

"into the distance instead, eyeing a long dead tree" technically a run-on, but not awkward and does not hinder comprehension, so who fucking cares.

"as such, many animals … as well" as such and as well don't NEED to be in the same sentence, typically, since they add similar basic feeling/meaning (no plants -> no animals), but not a big deal.

Oof. "sometimes it felt like she had documented it all" is somehow very heavy. Nice.

Well written in terms of consistent POV. Although written third-person, her senses are placed in the focus so we see and remember only what she sees and remembers. Only problem is if she sees the three people running at her, how would someone hit her on the back of her head, since it's implied someone hit her before she hit the ground so it can't be a rock from the ground hitting her. Also why does she know it's an ambush or for a sacrifice (may be too early to be asking these questions)

Buhahah "candle steps into the room"

Okay so I asked too soon. He told her it was as a sacrifice. Cool.

"prophet received in a dream" And wow, they had that hard a time finding black-haired ppl? Ain't that hard guys, what continent are you even on.

"no real reason- she even had a water bottle in her pocket" The dash here is probably better suited as a period or semi-colon. Otherwise it implies an unfinished thought, rather than a segue into a related thought.

Her leg is still injured after what she counts to be years? Lack of explicit chronology here does fail you, even though it's an effective tool earlier, b/c your readers automatically assume you returned to the first paragraph's setting, but this contradicts it suddenly making them wonder when this scene was set at all, when it's really not important.

Nice ending. Really nothing more that needs to be said about that.

Overall, a really solid story. Conveys a lot despite being surprisingly short. I'd definitely call this just a very well-executed tragedy. I'm quite frankly shocked you thought it shouldn't have won, cause even though I haven't read the winning entries, this was basically perfectly executed. Minor flaws in writing are kind of inevitable, so as a whole it doesn't hinder it too awfully much, and the ambiguities as to what caused the Great Darkness, or who the prophet is, or how she died are all actually good choices, because they aren't important in the scheme of the story which is one of giving up, of despair, and of the end of the world as shown from the perspective of a single person. It also very well-employs a technique I really enjoy both using and reading, which is to leech the emotion (particularly sadness/despair) out of a scene's writing and a character's thoughts, thus requiring the readers to fill it in for themselves. The writing style itself is mostly pretty smooth and elegant, and despite that elegance is not the least bit purple prosey, which is a difficult and nuanced thing to pull off. Perhaps the one pitfall of this story is that while it is a strong story, something about it fails to bring the full emotional response that this should evoke, and it's difficult to specify what. I felt slightly chilled by it, but not affected at heart, and in that sense it fails in its purpose even though its execution as a story portraying what it's trying to portray is flawless.

@firejay1 Thanks so much for the review!!! Very useful!

@Grumpy XD Thank you, thank you! :D I was elated when I say I received your vote!

EY YO @firejay1 I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON PATHFINDER. Be as un-couched as you wanna be.

That goes for anyone, by the by. Brutal takes welcomed.

This is the Future and the Future is Bleak

is weird. actually it was my take on all three genres -- the dying earth is our modern world, the heist is the various memories of young theft, and the cyberpunk was the apocalyptic consumption of love by post-modern technology. really i constructed it with prose poetry in mind -- note the recurrent sentences, and the (attempts at) strong imagery. as for affect, disaffection and alienation remain my mainstays, although without elaboration on your part i can't tell whether i succeeded.

all the love for function interval, second chance, and omega men, though. @Jays , i think few people missed the loop -- ultimately i voted for yours because that loop reminded me of Bastion, especially with that one word, 'Calamity'. it was a hard choice, though -- who wrote Omega Men?

seriously, though. @HerziQuerzi , i was too dang self-serious to put yours into consideration when voting, but all the love to yours too. :)

and on that last 'sentence': i had considered changing the em dashes to ellipses. earlier drafts had that in spoilers, too: as if the ruinous relationship between the speaker and the imagined woman being ruinous was a footnote, but i didn't think that could be posted here. so yeah, 'her nose was a far a greater comfort, even as her nostrils flared...' -- the separation was to make the image stick.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Spekkun
further:
@Jorick thanks for the reviews! as in, the reviews -- i couldn't quite articulate what felt missing for either dark sky or omega men. i liked the lack of detail in second chance, but i read it more as a poetic sort of exercise in style and concept: you are right that it didn't add as much in terms of idea. and 'function interval' as a snappy movie: exactly.

@Grumpy i'm still hung up on the speaker immediately thinking the slanty-eyed character was chinese, instead of being more cautious and thinking, say, siberian, which come in greater numbers up north.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jorick and Spekkun
even further:

i am glad that what i posted here was neither a straightforward poem nor a botched attempt at high concept storytelling. it is weird, perhaps to the point of being alienating, but at least it is, though of course further feedback welcome.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Spekkun
Oooh, congrats Grumpy and HerziQuerzi!

I liked both entries, but Pathfinder had a few phrases that felt like they were straight up pulled from Google Translate and felt awkward to me. Too awkward to get my vote.

Anyway, not gonna do reviews since I don't have the time to sit down for them proper.

I was dubbing between Function Interval, Dark Sky and Omega Men.

Dark Sky because I loved the whole dark theme and then that last line. You got me there, Greens. The last line is what grabbed me. ;w;

Omega Men because I just liked them exploring earth as tourists, but then ending up as stranded and yada.

Though in the end Function Interval won me over because of the siblings. The witty lines and how they pick up their old professor for the heist, I just loved it. So, there my vote went.

EY YO @firejay1 I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON PATHFINDER. Be as un-couched as you wanna be.

That goes for anyone, by the by. Brutal takes welcomed.
And here I thought my work was done. *rolls off to read and review.

@Grumpy

In case you didn't check out my review of Greenie's piece, I go through everything and write comments as I'm reading along. If you don't wanna see all the nitty gritty details of stuff I liked and stuff I had issues with, just skip to the last paragraph, which sums everything up on a general scale. I also realized that most of my negative comments were a bunch of super tiny grammar and wordchoice things that probably have a lot more to do with how I like to write than accuracy/inaccuracy, and I've included them in an extra spoili. Feel free to read them anyways if you wanna see what I saw, but there's a good chance you won't agree with a lot of it, and I don't think I'd hold it against you.

Pathfinder Review:

To start: I hate your font.

Anyways.

The little poem at the front was a nice touch.

Escaping the cold in this day and age. Nice little indicator of the way in which this world is different from our present one.

Haha, and of course the "poetic license" line is nice. Oddly humorous for such a bleak thing to say in a bleak environment.

[spoili]
Soon at the start of a sentence always needs a comma. I also want to say "City security stepS" since it's technically a single entity as an institution, but like, that one doesn't really matter, cause it could also be considered short for security guards which is plural. Dammit, don't make me nitpick b/c there's nothing bad to say about this thus far.

"expression on the officer who Levi rolls down the window" *giggling. Levi rolled an officer down the window. Silly typos aside, a colon doesn't really work here (personal opinion), since both sentences are complete and separate thoughts that don't really lead into one another in any significant way.

"Before long" also needs a comma at the start of a sentence.

Technically "It's not often" also makes more sense, but the level to which this reads as colloquial first person makes it so that it's not really necessary to stick to those kinds of conventions.

I hate no-one, but it's not wrong. I'm also not a fan of using many acronyms that aren't common like AR (I also wouldn't have known what HUD was if my dad hadn't been obsessed with it for a week or so), but those are also minor details.

"ITS roof having fallen in" not it's.

"As Levi brings vehicle to halt" comma.

"Here ARE" the ground rules, narrator. No, I get it. It's speech. Speech is allowed to have grammar mistakes. *sobs and runs away. (If you want a well-consolidated review, next time, I think you have to specify, cause this shit is sentence by sentence. It's fine. The last paragraph always sums up the material points.)

Dunno what Ponimat means, but it's probably fine. Google attempts to translate it into Russian.

Point of interest: you write badass woman first person exceptionally well in terms of the tone I immediately gain from the first few sentences.

"In response" comma. "matt-black" instead of "matte" triggered me for a sec, but that's just cause I'm 'murican.

*files Bratan with Ponimat in unknown Russian. Works with the setting, and doesn't significantly hinder comprehension.

"reach my skin as we push the doors" is surprisingly a place you put a comma that doesn't need it, but that's another minor note, esp since it's not incorrect.

"With a blink" comma.

"desperate, suicidal, or well prepared" Lists. Two commas, not one. Another "as" statement that doesn't need a comma before it. You know what, I'm gonna just put $ before comma comments, b/c you probably don't need to read em all, but I'm gonna list them all anyways so you know where I thought there should be one, or shouldn't be. I will do my honest best not to bug the ones that are purely stylistic choices, just the ones that really need it. (I will probably fail b/c I'm a comma abuser)

VIPER I'm going to assume is okay for me not to know, like AR, because I refuse to believe she has a collapsed snake in her jacket.

Use a lot of one-liners, but none of them feel overdramatic or stilted, and it's pretty nice.

$"shitbag of a client" comma.

half dozen without the dash bothers me, but another one of those things that's probably not wrong~

Asian and Slavic should both be capitalized.

"Man at their head doesn't INSPIRE confidence" not inspired. (typo?)

"Only his environment suit" and "even that is mostly hidden" are two complete separate sentences, stringing them together is weird, though another minor note.

Another two spots where colons are weird. Before "Tai Huen Chai" probably not inaccurate, just awkward. And after "hidden by the hood that's drawn up from his suit." Doesn't feel right.

"Still, he's told his guys to back down and holster their weapons and I suspect" needs a comma before "and I suspect" because the sentence has two sort of points to it that need a little separation.

Like the word "scuppering" being used.

ERC falls with AR and VIPER in list of things I don't know, that I figure isn't important enough to worry about.

Another colon that feels weird in "plenty of it to be found in a partially collapsed warehouse"

$"Beefore I can react" COMMA "something like a cross b/w ---"

$"Sucking enough air… furiously" comma.

::Succession of colons, three of them within two paragraphs is starting to get excessive (but then I'm not one to talk, I overuse "…" and "–" a lot.), and one feels weird "where new threats come from I don't know: the only ppl…" that one's weird. The other two are fine.

Just a note to let you know I assume you're already aware of places where sentences don't have proper subjects included such as "Getting ahead of myself, though." I'm not mentioning them b/c I'm assuming they're intentional since they work really well with the tone for the most part, and bother me only occasionally.

Woops. "fat Ukrainian shit into gear ." random space before the period.

:: "via it's broadcaster" weird colon, but ALSO "ITS" not "IT'S" minor pet peeve. If this is intentional, I'm sorry.

:: "chill at bay" nother weird colon.

Google tells me the thing is called an ushanka, not an urshanka. All hail google if it's right?

$"Almost immediately" comma

$"Snow, ice, and radiation." Lists.

$"Out in the white" comma "progress is always gonna be slow." That one you really need man, or else it reads, "out in the White Progress … is gonna be slow"

Minor note that maybe slightly bothers me but can be explained away. The name Jen-sin cannot possibly be Mandarin, but they all appear to be speaking mando thus far.
[/spoili]

Interesting that Koss's name was introduced so late. That's always fun for first-person stuff (I'm not being sarcastic, sorry if it sounds that way)

Thank you for using tones (and the correct ones at that) for the Chinese dialogue. x'D

LOL I like Koss. Levi like "not taking yer damn bullshit" but in three words. Koss is getting down to business.

And that misogyny on how he focuses on Levi. It's a nice subtle touch, not too overstated.

Chinese badguy is thus far a classic "greasy" archetype.

I like Sidrovich, too, even though we ain't seen him yet. Dat excessive velvet.

Oof. Levi's death done in a frantic, sudden scene still has strong emotional impact, perhaps also partially because of its shock value. Difficult to attain in writing vs visual media, well done.

Lack of capitalization and sentence punctuation in the italicized paragraphs is actually really effective and an interesting touch I've never seen anyone pull before.

Good immediate explaining why she DIDN'T die of rad poisoning, without feeling very tell-not-showy.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE. Taken speech summed up in three fucking sentences.

Dead never look like they're sleeping is a wonderful and memorable line.

You may see me complaining about the Russian earlier, but it does well to set up this one line, which despite my lack of comprehension and laziness to Google, conveys emotion as a death scene remarkably well.

Interesting level of sentimentality around both that gesture, the way she feels about not learning the dead guy's name, and the hat, even though the character doesn't initially come off as sentimental, lending itself to a nicely added depth.

Quip about Fate being an asshole is more fun wit from Koss. Aaand, then of course she pulls the chilling "they're among wolves now, even if they've forgotten it" *shivers.

The whole bit about the human mind craving stimulation is just a really cool indication of good research and I always respect the hell out of that. Plus it's written in a super relatable fashion and takes advantage of the first-person perspective to make the readers feel what the narrator feels, and remembers of her training and thinks about orbitals. Character, world, excellent delivery, and either thoughtfulness or research, all wrapped up in a few paragraphs. It's like a little pocket of happiness. Uh… in a setting of despair.

Yep. I like Koss "see me hit any women and children?" "look no scary armaments please don't shoot" xD So sassy.

Well-done in terms of lack of emotion here, interestingly enough. Got me synced well enough that I don't feel any rush of emotion from him being dead any more than she does, but it feels right.

A point of note is that run-on sentences and slightly awkward colons appear to be common in this work, as well as some places where commas were left off – a slightly unusual tendency (maybe it's a brit thing? I know another brit who does this), but not like a PROBLEM. Doesn't hinder comprehension, and is probably barely noticeable if you're not looking for problems.

Another super odd thing is the way separate paragraphs are spaced, some double, some single. I'm all for intentional formatting, but doing it single-spaced when there was dialogue first and double when there was not threw off the flow of my reading a bit, not gonna lie.

It was an interesting choice also for you to make the protag here a woman. I deeply dislike when I feel like a character was made a woman just to appease the raging feminists, but you did what I wished everyone did: you made it not matter what her gender was. Beyond how Jen-sin dismissed her because of her gender, the fact that Koss was a woman was not important. It was present, and it affected small, but very real things in story, but it made her no weaker, no stronger. There are plenty of stories where authors or directors pull this off, but usually in that case the protag is not an ass-kicking revenge-seeker (when they are, they usually wear pointy heels and suck balls). While keeping her voice and making her pretty damn badass, you also managed to make her gender simply not a point of contention at all, and you have no idea by GOODNESS how much I needed that.

I had a lot of comments, and for once that's a good thing, because basically all of my non-nitpicky comments were good ones. The story holds this oddly solemn and slow pacing except for the frantic fighting bits, and this perfectly suits the tone of the entire setting, with the dying earth. You don't elaborate at all on why the earth is dying, but it really doesn't matter for the purposes of this story and it's a brilliant example of something I, and I think most writers and especially worldbuilders of my generation fail to do: allow the unimportant things to be a fill-in-the-blank-from-the-clues mystery. You also do it to some extent with Pathfinder, wastelander, and Toe-whateverhisnameis. Not once do you explicitly state what any of these things are, but we get it through the context clues. An exceptionally well-done example of show-not-tell, particularly because you also kept it understandable and engaging, which is just as hard to manage. Your writing never feels forced, and is witty and lively and elegant and well-captures all the tone, description, and character that one could ever wish for. You draw a reader in and make them feel what the narrator feels and see what they see even before you bother describing it sometimes. Certain characters are not fleshed out beyond their archetypes, but in this context and with the shortness of the piece, it really isn't necessary. This is my first time reading a short story from you and it might not mean much, but I am extremely impressed with basically everything in it, which is a compliment I quite frankly rarely give to anything. The problems I did have with it could pretty much be summed up in "commas, colons, confusing-at-first words, and paragraph formatting," which is SUPER MINOR.

Reactions: Kitti
@RiverNotch I was gonna complain and ask if I was a review vending machine, but your piece was pretty short so I was like, wheee. xD Don't mind me, I'm just a lazybutt.

carnies stroll beside elephants? A... rather weird simile. Doesn't refer to anything particularly common that we'd make any sort of natural mental comparison to, and is therefore not much good as a simile.

"AnywayS" anyway is a pet peeve

Slight problem with ambiguity in the entire paragarph that is "Four years later we moved to a different house." did "you" leave the book in the old house's bookshelf? It floated from "your' bag? Wat?

What do mildew and eczema have to do with boundaries?

"What did I take from them that wasn't too abstract for them to lose?" should not have a comma, it breaks up the sentence super weirdly.

Last sentence that's broken up for effect really doesn't work, because it throws one off if you attempt to read the whole thing linearly, and if you need to read it out of order to understand it, you may as well not have seen it separated at all. It also makes no real sense, because this future lover is complaining he's doing what? Sucking her dry in what sense? Emotionally? Physically (is he a monster or something?)? Sexually? Financially? Assuming it's meant emotionally as that has the most impact in context, there are lots of reasons for a person to feel they're being sucked dry emotionally, whether it's because someone who doesn't feel the same way about them is takin advantage of their feelings, or because the other person is needy and drains their energy that way. Not to say that you need to clarify this, but the extent to which this phrasing is ambiguous makes it very ineffective as a last sentence.

I think I'd say this piece was "artistic." It lacked any formal plotline, and quite frankly really didn't work with the genres presented b/c the only mention of a dying earth or cyberpunk setting was the brief second to laugh paragraph including... sex robots, which felt more like it was thrown in so it could claim to be on genre rather than being a part of it organically. What was interesting was that it appeared to be set not all that far form our current reality, which is a courageous choicce for either genre you were going for. When I say it was artistic I don't mean it in the "I really don't have anything nice to say about it so I'll use some placating word like artistic so you won't be mad at me." I mean it seemed to me that the showcase was not the plot or characterization, definitely not the dialogue or the setting, but the writing itself as an art form. The focus was characterization, certainly, but it wasn't written to convey anything that HAPPENED, but rather to play with mental imagery and conventions through words. It raised some interesting points about human nature and society, but 1. isn't really a story, you can decide for yourself whether or not that's a criticism, it's just an objective assessment on my part, 2. its lack of aim and direct narrative style at times made it boring, and 3. the main character was ultimately unlikeable. I think unlikable characters can still be well WRITTEN, but if I actively don't like a character, I struggle to be the slightest bit invested in them, and this is just something that hinders enjoyment for me on a personal level (ran into this with 1984, as well). I will say that I think it succeeded as an art piece from a critical perhaps even philosophical perspective, and I don't have a lot of outright negative things to say about it, as I think it was trying to accomplish something very different from what the other pieces here were.

• Thank You
Reactions: RiverNotch