Mental health awareness

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
D

Draugvan

Original poster
I am helping to develop a forum based mental health awareness and support network for my workplace. I was wondering if any of you all knew of some strong resources that we could link to? i.e articles mostly.

Thanks in advance :)

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Spekkun
Yo, think I can actually help here. Helped with something similar in the organisation I work for, and a friend of mine works for a Scottish mental health charity (I can ask her for some links/articles if you like).

I can only really link resources from the UK since that's what I'm familiar with, but they're fairly universal except when referring to legislation and the like. Mind is one of the larger UK mental health charities and they maintain a large amount of reference material that you could make use of. Support In Mind Scotland also have some information on mental health/mental health support, as well as info on what to do in a crisis.

Yo, think I can actually help here. Helped with something similar in the organisation I work for, and a friend of mine works for a Scottish mental health charity (I can ask her for some links/articles if you like).

I can only really link resources from the UK since that's what I'm familiar with, but they're fairly universal except when referring to legislation and the like. Mind is one of the larger UK mental health charities and they maintain a large amount of reference material that you could make use of. Support In Mind Scotland also have some information on mental health/mental health support, as well as info on what to do in a crisis.
Wonderful! If you could ask your friend, that would be amazing ^.^

NIMH » Home has pretty much everything. Info, resources, etc.

Wonderful! If you could ask your friend, that would be amazing ^.^

No worries chum, just shot her a message now so I'll let you know if/when she gets back to me.

One other suggestion I'd make is to maybe put together a list of numbers/contact details for local mental health support lines. In the UK we have organisations like the Samaritans, and I'm certain there's an equivalent where you're at. It's a useful piece of information to offer folk.

• Thank You
Reactions: Draugvan
My mate got back to me with the following message.

Grumpy's Mental Health Chum said:
Hiya Grumpy,

So in terms of resources which might support your friend in their work with the workplace support and awareness group, here are some good places to start:

Rethink Mental Illness are our English sister charity – they're a great deal bigger than us and have a selection of downloadable factsheets on LOADS of issues on their website here. Some won't be relevant in the US/Canada, but the fact sheets walk you through various mental illnesses, methods of treatment, what to expect, what to do if you're caring for someone with a mental illness, etc. I think these will give a great grounding and you can search through their A-Z of factsheets.

Mental Health UK (of which we are a part) put together this guide for managing stress and resilience in the workplace – which might be relevant and of use.

The Mental Health Foundation have also put together a guide on Mental Health at work which again might be useful (I haven't been the whole way through this, just know it exists).

Mind have also created a 'how to be mentally healthy at work guide' – accessible here.

I don't know much about the landscape in the US/Canada, but what I do know is that the big name Mental Health organisations across in those parts are Mental Health America. This links to their information page which has reams and reams of States-specific info. In Canada, it's the Canadian Association for Mental Health which you can get to here. It appears they also do a workplace programme, so that might be something your friend wants to look into.

This should be a good start for your friend – but do ask them to come back if they wants more in depth info about anything else.

Cheers!

Hope that helps, duder. In hindsight I should have checked your profile/confirmed where you're located, but there's still a fair few resources to get you started. I can ask her if she has any suggestions for stuff available locally at your end as well, if you'd like.

• Bucket of Rainbows

Hope that helps, duder. In hindsight I should have checked your profile/confirmed where you're located, but there's still a fair few resources to get you started. I can ask her if she has any suggestions for stuff available locally at your end as well, if you'd like.
Bro...You said I'm your friend :3

I did notice the assumption that I am based in UK or US. But I think the issues are universal, so all of this is going to be very useful. I have the intuition that UK will be super relevant due to a relatable male culture.

We have a non profit here in New Zealand which we will definitely be pulling from. At the moment though I'm looking for effective styles of writing and designs.

Bro...You said I'm your friend :3

THOSE ARE HER WORDS, NOT MINE. >:[

But aye, you should have some overlap in terms of content. The only bits that don't really apply are things relating to laws/call centres based in the UK. Everything else still applies.

If your friend is curious, Grumpino, here is our national resource website. Maybe she'll get a kick out of it.
Mental Health – Home

I came across a pretty interesting read that was shared by someone in our own work mental health group. Thought you might get something out of it too. Link is here.

I came across a pretty interesting read that was shared by someone in our own work mental health group. Thought you might get something out of it too. Link is here.
Just as McWatt said in Catch 22:
"Oh well, what the hell?"