Medieval Fantasy: Closest Friend, Worst Enemy

He still held her, even after she stopped crying. Slowly it felt a little more natural then at the beginning, like it was what a brother should do for his sister. He nuzzled her hair gently, sighing softly. "Feeling any better," he asked quietly, still rubbing her back a bit. His eyes locked with Alyss for a moment, and unspoken words of thanks for staying passed between them.

Jaina tilted her head up slightly to look at her brother. She nodded at his question, a very small smile tugging at the sides of her lips. She did. It felt very good to be able to let that all out, and to have that sort of intimate, familial moment with her older brother. She wondered if Henry ever felt like he was dying, the way she did, as she tried to keep pushing through. Not displaying emotion may have been great for their family when it was the four of them, and they were in control. But now, everything was falling to shit. Jaina had been made to grow up before her time just by being born a princess. Now, she found herself slowly regressing. But letting it all out a moment before had really, really helped.

Alyss smiled down at Jaina as she relaxed, before turning to smile to Henry and nodding. They were in everything together--she hoped he realized that.

"Should we start heading back," Alyss asked. Not to prompt any response that SHE wanted, but legitimately to question if they wanted to leave the tent.

((Maybe some others heard her crying *shifty eyes*. Just an idea =P.))

Henry nodded slightly. "If Jaina is ready too, we could head back," he said softly, kind of giving her the option. As they were in the tent, Leeroy had overheard the cry.

"Hmm..Hm hm hm," he muttered, pushing back his blackish brown hair which was cut just long enough to get in his eyes. His redish hazel eyes burned with evil intentions as he moved closer to the tent. He closed his eyes, the color and the intensity fading to a plain hazel brown.He opened his eyes, knocking on a post of the tent. "Uh, hello? I heard someone crying.." He peeked in. "Is everyone okay?"

(I think Leeroy and Jaina should end up having a slight amount of Romance- a love triangle with Mitch before she gets taken away. And Leeroy should be vampire too...That okay with you?)

((As far as romance between Leeroy and Jaina, we'll see--the one thing I don't like is to force something that doesn't seem legitimate. I haven't seen enough of Leeroy's personality yet to tell ya if I think Jaina'll be attracted to him =D. But one idea that I had to spark Leeroy's jealousy/turning against Jaina was for him to come in on Jaina and Mitch kissing (or more).

Leeroy is the older brother?))

Jaina smiled, nodding. "I'm ready." She heard a knock at the tent and turned in her brother's arms as another man entered. For a moment, she thought it was Mitch, but she quickly realized that while it looked like him, it was someone else. A cousin? A brother?

"Everything is fine," she responded. "Thank you for checking in--I appreciate it." Her response was purely cordial, humble, and grateful. Nothing more.

Alyys tilted her head to the side very slightly at the new intrusion. "You're Mitch's brother. Leeroy, right?" At his confirmation, she smiled. "It's nice to finally meet you," Alyss told him, largely speaking for all three of them.

Jaina smiled as well, nodding in the same cordial manner as before. "We were actually about to step out," she said.

"No problem, Miss. And yes, I am Mitch's brother Leeroy. Pleasure, for sure." He smiled a bit at Alyss, and then heard Jaina. "Oh! No problem." He got out of the way, holding the tent flap opened for them. "Do you guys like this camp? One of three...This one being the largest."

Henry nodded slightly, taking his sister's arm in his- like they used to when they were kids, linking arms- leading her out. "Yeah, it's pretty nice, for the equipment they're provided with. It's nice they let us stay here.." He thanked Leeroy for checking in one them as well. "And..Have a nice day."

"You too, sir. If you three need anything, just look around, I'm here somewhere." He flashed a smile towards Jaina- pretty daring in front of her brother. Henry blinked, and led Jaina away.

(1: Yeah, let's wait and see. 2: Older brother works!)

Jaina was grateful for Alyss' help in identifying the man's--Leeroy's--identity. She continued to smile softly at him. She was, as she had said, grateful that he had checked in on her, but she had been in one of her more vulnerable states--they had been having a private moment. Jaina didn't like to show emotion at all, and, when she did, it was only to those closest to her. She didn't like that he had heard her like that, and, at this point, staying was, she thought, a bit too much. Nevertheless, she kept smiling at him, but there was a wall in front of that smile--like it was required.

Alyss noticed Jaina's behavior almost immediately, and turned to Leeroy once more. "The camp is wonderful--it's obvious that you and Mitch have been working hard. Though, I think we would be indebted, regardless of the prestige of the camp, just due to your saving us." She smiled. "We will be leaving now, but I'm sure we will see you around the camp in the near future."

Jaina giggled slightly as her brother linked her arm in his, childhood memories of play coming back. She noticed Leeroy smile, directly at her, and stiffened slightly, responding with the same small smile as before, and then she allowed her brother and Alyss to lead her out.

((I also think that whatever attack we eventually decide Leeroy commits should include a violent feeding.))

(Agreed.)

Leeroy watched them, letting go of the flap. He floded his hands behind his back and walked off down one of the dusty rebel camp roads, whistling to himself. He went to go heck on Mitch, and Lilly, and the weapons. "Brother! Did our delivery come in, as well?" Leeroy asked, grinning a bit. He leaned in the doorway as Mitch put away the last weapon and Lilly folded up the box for later use.

"Actually, yes it did." He picked up the other, larger box, and tossed it to Leeroy, who caught it. "Can you take it to the cooler?"
"Sure." Leeroy tucked the box under his arm, and against his waist and turned around walking off, whistling the same tune.
"Weird..." Lilly thought for a moment. "I've never heard him whistle."
"Huh. Didn't think of that, but neither have I.."

Henry looked at Jaina. "Supper will be soon, do you want to go get washed up before? Mitch said they have meals together here.."

((Oh! And. Sorry to ask this XD. But could I have just a little bit more reaction to my characters from yours? My characters--Jaina in particular--are very reactive, so seeing how, for example, Leeroy reacts to Jaina not really responding to him will help me develop how she in TURN reacts to him in the future, you know? Similarly, seeing how Leeroy reacts to Henry bristling after he flirted with Jaina will help me learn more about his personality. Thanks!))

Jaina nodded. "Yes, I would. Where, though...? Do they bring wash pots to our tents?" Jaina didn't mean to sound privileged--she hoped she didn't--she just really didn't know the way things worked here. It hadn't even been twenty-four hours. "And after supper, we'll look at the horses," she asked her brother, hopefully.

Once Jaina had left to wash herself, Alyss turned to Henry. "Big brother's a little bit uncomfortable," she asked, knowingly.

Henry sighed, sitting on his cot, watching Jaina leave with one of the younger girls here who would show her where to go. "So I am..." He wasn't sure what to say. He was uncomfortable with the conversation he had with Mitch, and with Leeroy, with the camp in general. He didn't like being here- but then again, none of them really did. He glanced at Alyss, once Jaina was completely out of sight. He was still feeling protective, but he knew that he couldn't follow her into the ladie's wash..

The girl was about eight- she was the second to youngest there. "We have a place where the women wash, over here. If you want I can clean your dress for you while you get washed up," the girl offered politely. She got the materials for Jaina to get washed- a washcloth, soap, shampoo, a towel. She led her into one of the stall-like wash rooms. Inside was a faucet, and a large bin- big enough for even Henry to get washed. She placed the items on the small shelf on the wall of the stall, pulling the curtain closed. "Would you like help with your dress, or no?"

((Alright!))

((Seeing what we're doing with sanitation, should we extend that to medicine as well? Because, technically, medical care was all about the humorism. And soap's been a thing since nearly 3000 BC, but plumbing XD. Not so much. Actually, soap makers were unionized around this time, so that's good. Sorry. History major.))

Alyss sat next to Henry, nodding. "I understand," she told him. "I think this is just an uncomfortable situation all around. Not only are the two of you having to adjust to incredibly new and trying situations and atmospheres but also you, Henry, have to watch your little sister growing up." Her brown eyes sparkled. "I wouldn't worry about Jaina," she commented, addressing the flirtation directly. "Truth be told, she's a beautiful, beautiful girl. But she's also got a good head on her shoulders, and she's nearly eighteen years old. This had to start at some point. You can't threaten every man who ever comes near your sister," she winked.

Jaina followed the little girl towards the area. As they passed, men and women--the inhabitants of the camp--turned to look at them. Or at her. Some of the closest ones bowed and curtseyed, and Jaina smiled humbly in their directions as she and the little girl walked along. After a few minutes, they arrived, and Jaina shed her dress, and then her chemise, handing them to the little girl with a smile. "Thank you," she said, and started to fill the tub with hot water from buckets left at the side. "What's your name," she asked the little girl, curious as to her story.

"My name is Hayleigh." She folded the clothes neatly, and held them under her arm. "Do you need anything else, Miss? If not, I can run your dress over to the well... Some ladies should be doing laundry about this time." The girl looked up, her blue eyes peering through dirty, light blonde hair. Her clothes were somewhat torn, and a little bit too small on her- a green shirt with black trousers, obviously hand-me-downs.

Henry sighed. "I know, I know. She is beautiful, and that's the thing. I don't want anyone taking advantage of her- especially with this situation going on right now." He dropped his head into his hands, his fingers combing back his hair. "I don't know what to do. I want her to grow up- but at the same time I don't."

((Sorry. I'm not good with History. xD I'm better with more..CNA..Stuff. :P And sure. But you might have to PM me about medical advancements of the era xD!))

((No worries! The general (very, very basic) idea of humorism is that living creatures have four humors in our bodies. Blood, Phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile. And in order for our bodies to function properly, the humors have to be in balance with each other. That's why a common treatment for fevers through the 18th century was called 'bleeding'--according to humorism, a fever signified too much blood, so you had to let some out XD. Do you understand?))

Jaina smiled. "It's nice to meet you, Hayleigh. Thank you for your help." She paused, still smiling at the little girl. She wanted to speak to her for longer, find out about her own experiences. But something made it seem like the little girl didn't want to talk. "No, thank you, I am fine. Thanks again for helping me." She waited for the little girl to leave, and then she stepped inside the tub, scrubbing at her skin and hair with the soap until they were finally clean. It had been a little while since she had been able to cleanse herself. When she was finished, she stepped out of the tub, drying her body off with a towel and then scrunching her long red hair until it was less wet and more damp. She waited for the little girl to return with her clothing.

Alyss nodded as Henry spoke. "I know. God, it would be easier to just keep her away from men forever. And I know it's hard, when you trust her, but you don't trust everyone else to be kind to her. But I think you can still take a step back. Start allowing Jaina to make her own mistakes and being there for her when she needs her older brother. Like earlier today, right," she asked, rhetorically. "You could always have a chat with her about men...The last time that happened was with your mother when Jaina flowered, I think. But that might be uncomfortable and hard for you, too."

(Yes.. I understand. xD)

Hayleigh went and washed the clothing. She was quick and efficient. When she was down, and she had pressed them through one of unused rollers to ring them out, she ran back. On her way back, a slightly older girl stopped her.
"Hayleigh, where are you going," asked the girl.
"I have to bring the Princess her cleaned clothes.. She's in the washrooms."
"Ah..When you're done, hurry up and get to food stock. You need to help with supper." Hayleigh nodded, and then dashed off to the washrooms. Once inside, she knocked outside, on the side of the stall.
"Are you ready for your clothes, Miss," she asked politely.

"I.." Henry paused, thinking about what was said. Maybe Alyss was right, maybe he did need to give her some freedom- like Mitch had said. He sighed. "You're right," he finally admitted. "Although.. I'm not quite sure how to have a talk..about men..with her.."

((I love doing things to make characters uncomfortable XD.))

Jaina blinked, hearing a knock at the side of her stall. She stood, jolting herself out of the daydream she had entered. "Yes, Hayleigh," she said. "Thank you." She opened the door, taking the clothes from the little girl. "Thanks again for helping me. I'll see you soon." She closed the door again, and dressed herself. Jaina grabbed a brush from one of the cubbies and pulled it through her hair, untangling the knots. And then she left the washrooms, walking back to her and her brother's tent, but this time alone.

"It'll be uncomfortable to be sure," Alyss commented. "But I think it has to be you. Not only because I think she'll respond best if it's you but also because I think it'll lay your mind at ease. You'll be fine, Henry. Just tell her what you feel. Don't treat her like a child, treat her like a young adult. Explain your concerns."

Hayleigh nodded. "Your welcome, Miss. I'll see you at supper." She ran off, and headed towards where they prepared the food. Lilly had already shown up to help, as did many other people in the camp. They prepared some tables, and foods. They retrieved water from the well, and boiled it to clean it for drinking, then let it cool.

Henry nodded. "Alright, Alyss," he said quietly. "Thank you." He heard someone walking over by the opening of the ten, and looked up. There he saw Jaina, alone. "Jaina.. You look nice. You must feel better too," he commented, noticing her clothes were washed, and she had done a good job at cleaning herself up. Maybe he was treating her like a child.

Mitch was walking around, watching people getting ready for the evening routine. He had asked for everyone to keep the same demeanor as usual, and the same schedule. He didn't want to change everything they had established just because they had two more people joining them- no matter how well known they were. He went over to on area, with the horses, and pet his own. His horse was all white, with a long mane and a fluffy tail. Her hair across her body was soft and clean.
"Hey there, Aiyana..How are you today, beautiful?" He spoke softly to his mare, before grabbing a handful of grass and feeding it to her. He decided that, like usual, he'd ride instead of join the meal. He led Aiyana out of the stall, and she followed him- without any equipment. He walked down the dusty roads with her right next to him, passing Henry and Jaina's tent.

Jaina arrived at her tent a few minutes later, nodding as she had earlier to the myriad of people who paid her special attention as she passed. She was used to being noticed--she was royalty, and her burning red hair had always drawn attention to her. But it still felt a bit off. Like she was interrupting important planning, or the day to day workings of the camp. And so, she didn't really stop to interact with anyone. When she arrived at the tent, she entered immediately, stopping in the entranceway and smiling at her brother and then at Alyss. She turned back to Henry. "I do," she responded. "Thank you." She went in farther, sitting between Alyss and Henry on the cot. Alyss smiled, patting Jaina's shoulder and grinning at Henry. "I think I'll go for a walk. I will see you two very soon." As she left, Alyss passed by Mitch and his horse. She glanced back. It didn't seem like Henry nor Jaina had seen him. She glanced between Mitch and Jaina, focusing on Mitch after a moment and winking. It was obvious to her where his affections lay. She turned on her heel, ready to give them all space.

Henry smiled as Jaina sat down, and then noticed Alyss standing to go. "Alright, see you soon." He watched Alyss for a moment, then turned his attention back to his sister. "So, Alyss and I were talking.." He hesitated, but then continued. "And, I need to apologize for something. I've treated you more like a child than a young adult. Mainly because... Because... I didn't want you to grow up, and possibly get used by men that may court you.." He stopped there. He waited to see her reaction before he went on, nervous she might not take this well.

Mitch stopped Alyss. "Alyss, question... Do you think Jaina will be busy with her brother after supper? I was hoping to bring her to the stalls. I have a special horse for her, if she wants it." He looked at Alyss hopefully. Even though he was older than Jaina, he had never felt anything with any woman- besides their neck within his jaw. But Jaina was different, she had a spark. She was strong, yet at the same time she had her faults. And he understood this- everyone has faults. Even he, an old vampire, had faults. She also had courage and determination. He could tell. There was just something about her... And he wanted to find out what it was.

Jaina maintained eye contact with her brother as he spoke to her. Her mouth opened slightly as he went on. She wasn't angry, but rather nervous and uncomfortable by where this was going. She supposed she understood, to a point, that this was an important and necessary conversation, but that didn't mean she wanted to have it. Gah, it was just so awkward. Would have been worse with Father, she thought. She forced a small smile towards her brother, but the awkwardness they both felt pervaded the interior of the tent.

Alyss turned back as Mitch called out to her. She smiled. "From what I know, they don't have plans for tonight. I know Jaina wanted to go to the stables anyway, so I'm sure it will be fine." She smiled, approaching his horse. "What's her name," she asked, reaching forward to pet the horse's mane.

((I think that Mitch should have a degree of trouble restraining himself from feeding whenever he's close or alone with Jaina. That whole idea of vampirism being metaphor for sexual desire...))