FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Usually every day, but I often don't like posting every day.
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
Genres
Fantasy, modern fantasy, high fantasy, romance, slice of life, sci-fi, grimdark, light fandoms (next gen, non canon chars, etc)
I like scary things. I also like cute things. Well, our good friend Greenie has the scary covered, so why don't we make things just a little more adorable?

I want you to take this spooky image below, and write something that will make me go "awww" and want to vomit rainbows.

Picture of the Week:

Happy Writing!​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
The blizzard had come unexpectedly, and now he was lost. Jack squinted through the blinding storm, one arm up to protect his face the other clutching his cane. It would be hard enough for a normal person to walk through such a storm, much less a man with a bad leg.

Desperation bubbled up into his heart and he dropped his free arm for a moment and turned his back to the wind so he could pull his coat closed and try to warm his hands. His breaths came short and quick, and it wasn't just because of the icy weather- no, he was struggling to keep from panicking.

He had just been released from service in the army thanks to his injury, and now he would likely die- so close to being reunited with his wife and child, too. He let out a quick, short breath, and tried to collect his thoughts.

He didn't have time. The wind suddenly stopped whipping at him- which would be strange normally, but this was different. Why? He could still hear it- and snow was still blowing around him. The only absence was the feeling of it on his back. Slowly, he turned...and there it was, half its body jutting out of the broken ice of the river to his left.

It was a hideous beast, with a head almost like that of a man's, though it had no nose or hair...or skin. Just a pair of yellow glowing eyes and a mouth set in a bed of scales. The brute was long, with a snakelike body ending in a tail reminiscent of a peacock (if peacocks had scaled plates for feathers). The two arms projected out of its shoulders, both of them long like its body. They ended in five clawed fingers, each one longer than Jack's head, and were half stuck together with webbing much like a duck's foot. Long, antennae-like spines jutted from its back and twitched as it moved, clattering together like wind chimes.

The beast slithered toward him and Jack gasped, cowering away after dropping his cane in shock.

It paused, glowing eyes locked on him. Then, slowly, it picked up the cane with two clawed fingers and offered it to the freezing man. He hesitantly took it. An expression almost like a smile crossed its noseless face and it got closer, its movements much slower this time.

And then it picked him up.

Sure it was the end, Jack froze and shut his eyes. But the end never came. Instead, the wind hit him again and he was flying. He opened his eyes to find himself still clutched securely in the monster's hand.

The light appeared slowly, then all at once as they neared the city. The beast carried him all the way to the large buildings, where the snow was having difficulty drifting, and set him down. Jack stumbled and stabbed his cane into the ground before turning around to find the beast halfway up a building, peering down at him silently.

"Thank you." He finally managed to say those words, his voice shaking in what can only be described as awe and gratefulness.

It simply dipped its head in acknowledgment, then lifted one arm and pointed down the street. Sure enough, when he turned to look, there was his house. By the time Jack turned around again, it was gone- leaving him to wonder if he had dreamed the whole thing.

But he would pass the story down to his children, and them to theirs, so they would never forget the river beast that had saved his life.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Gru climbed down over the edge of the cliff and peered and the teeny little thing moving slowly through the frigid pass. Ignoring her normal instincts to stay away from the critters of the valley she lowered slowly down to get a better look. It seemed to be struggling as it slowly fought the wind and snow that rushed between the craggy sides of the cliff faces. suddenly though it stopped entirely and fell to the ground. Alarmed Gru crawled further down the cliff face until she was hovering above it.

Glowing red eyes peered at the tiny traveler in curiosity and fear. had it died? She lowered herself to the ground and encircled the creature creating a tent of sorts to protect it from the wind and cold. A tendril of shadow tentatively touched it and jerked away. It made an odd noise, giving a sign of life at least. Gru wasn't sure the cold snow was good for it, not that she had any idea what might be good for it really. She swirled around until the snow was gone and the bare ground was now beneath the creature. she created heat in her little bubble like tent and watched it.

It took a while but it sat up and looked around. Those glowing red eyes widened and brightened a bit at the sight. It was alive and seemed to be doing better, her guesses had been good ones thankfully. The creature looked confused and began speaking in an odd manner. It seemed to be thanking her, so she nodded and spoke but it frowned and looked confused, so it didn't speak her language either. She was content to know that she had done enough to keep it alive. She stayed until the storm passed and then released the creature to go it's way.

Before it left though it turned and tried to curls it's limbs around her only to pass through and fall. Gru chuckled and helped it stand erect once more. Silly creatures.

Reactions: noodle
With shuffling steps, Mrs. Gamble walked slowly with her red and white cane through the dark alley. While her grandchildren often told her to be careful going out and about at night, she knew that in the small town of Tipple, there was not a safe place on earth. The alley was a convenient shortcut to her house, to which she would be glad to retreat, given the incoming snow and high winds. The snow made it a bit difficult to navigate with the cane, as often the depth of hidden objects was greatly skewed by the downy stuff.

Suddenly, Mrs. Gamble was aware of a presence near her. It was an unspoken skill of the blind, that - the ability to sense that there were certain edifices or persons in one's general vicinity. Often, she hardly noticed, not to mention the many times her perception of others failed - poor Tippy. She should have warned her regardless, given Mrs. Gamble liked to disrobe as soon as she was home.

"Yes?" Mrs. Gamble asked into the rushing wind.

"I... am--" came the rasping voice, and Mrs. Gamble was taken aback.

"-ill! You have quite the scratchy voice, dear. You shouldn't be out in such bad weather."

There was a pause, and Mrs. Gamble looked up towards the source of the voice. My, he was a tall man. She had to really crane her neck.

"Do you need something?"

"I need... warmth. Of a human body."

"Oh, you're a lonely soul. You poor dear," Mrs. Gamble said before the voice could interject further. "Well, I'm quite sorry, but it would be irresponsible for me to take you home, haha! But! It seems you are in dire need. Here - my jacket."

And the woman began to shrug off her bright red coat, the wind cutting through the sweater she had underneath. She offered it towards the voice with a smile, though nothing reached back towards her.

"Er... I want... the warmth of the blood of--"

"Oh! Of blood pudding? I have a coupon for it in this pocket, actually. Marina's has a special on it for this week," Mrs. Gamble said brightly. "Now, dear, there's no reason to stand on ceremony. Charity's for those who need it, and you seem to need it! My father always said that refusing charity is like tying an anchor to your foot - does you little good, and in fact slows you down. Come now, I've five more at home."

There was naught but the whistle of wind through the alley, and something took hold of the coat, hesitantly drawing it away from Mrs. Gamble's grasp. The older woman felt a spike of pity that she wasn't about to let the poor dear into her house, but alas, even she knew better. As safe as Tipple was...

"Now, if there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask around here. There's a shelter, actually, on 10th, and Marina's gives meals to the disadvantaged in the mornings, so feel free," Mrs. Gamble offered brightly. "Now, I'd best be off now. Have a good night, dear!"

And with that, Mrs. Gamble began towards home. The thing in the alley, spindly and more shadow than form, stared after her with red eyes before looking at the bright crimson coat in its hands. It slowly shrugged the thing on around its form, rolling its shoulders with appreciation. It was still warm, and somehow that felt... good. The shadowy figure looked about the town and, with a loping stride, instead began to walk towards another town farther on, tucking its hands into the pockets while holding onto a coupon for half off blood pudding at Marina's.