Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
Invitation Status
Not accepting invites at this time
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Preferred Character Gender
Female
In the wonderful world of roleplaying, MAGIC or Supernatural powers seem to be the most common theme. A majority of the roleplays will feature magic and unnatural abilities as an option.

When creating a character, do you more often have some sort of magic/supernatural ability? Or do you prefer going without and relying on other skills like weaponry or special combats?

M

Moonlit Blade

I definitely love using magic. It makes fighting scenes unique, in a way.

That, and there's something satisfying about creating a magic system that works well and is usable.

K

Karsikan the Berzerker

It's all in the character, it's a piece of how each character spent their lives.

R

Radames

Generally, I'm not interested in anything that doesn't involve some kind of magical or supernatural element, but at the same time I think it's better in roleplays when people look for other ways of introducing action and developing their characters. There's always a danger of using magic as a crutch and not focusing on the other, more realistic aspects of the characters and/or story.

Vay

The Empress
Male, Female
Genres
Mostly Fantasy and Sci-fi, though I’ll do anything if the plot is good.
Badass normal is badass.

CoffeeCake

"Are you asking me why people eat potatoes?"
Posting Speed
1-3 posts per week, One post per week, Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
No such thing
Writing Levels
Give-No-Fucks, Beginner, Elementary, Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Prestige, Douche, Adaptable
Female, Agender, Primarily Prefer Female
I don't find drawing characterization from a character's paranormal abilities nearly as hard as its sometimes made out to be.

I'm willing to play both, but I favor magic. Especially in freeform.

Although the more rigid the system, the less interested in magic I am. I prefer magic as a storytelling tool or conduit for creativity. It can be paint or a canvas, depending on the situation. Take that away, and I lose interest. I'll likely either play a non-magic class or find another game.

I

Ike Sapphire

I say magic because it's kinda boring if I can't creat fire in the palm of my hands

Blind Hemingway

A former executive or something.
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
NEVER
Writing Levels
Adept, Douche
Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Surrealism, Surreal Horror (Think Tim Burton), Steampunk, Sci-Fi Fantasy, Spaghetti Westerns, Mercenaries, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Historical fantasies
Supernatual powers based out of a more dream-like state vs. combat magic. I'm more into magical realism; in magical realism we find the transformation of the common and the everyday into the awesome and the unreal. It is predominantly an art of surprises. Time exists in a kind of timeless fluidity and the unreal happens as part of reality. Once the reader accepts the fait accompli, the rest follows with logical precision.

O

Ochalla

While I do sometimes make characters in a supernatural RP without powers, often times I do, so I voted Yes. Like my current array of characters, even though about half of them don't have powers in such games I have two characters in all of them and the other one does, so, yes, I like me the magic, even something simple like my demi-god that doesn't realize he's one.

F

Fel of the Eternal Forest

I enjoy magic, but I also enjoy the challenge (and it is a challenge to me) of creating a non-magic user.

Male
Genres
Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi. I'll try basically anything though. I also love strange and unusual RP genre concepts. Different is good!
I like a little bit of both, and everything in-between. Kinda depends on the RP too.