1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Science Fiction, Fantasy, Science Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Historical, Shounen-ai and Shoujo-ai, Psychological, Steampunk and... well, I'm actually up for most kinds of role plays.

undefined-imgur-jpg.220578

Lurking in the Dark

Everyone knows the stories of the things that lurk in the mists at night. Of creatures that are neither fully of this world, or another, but whose existence is trapped somewhere in between. Some are tall, hulking things, with jagged teeth and bulging eyes. Others are small and nimble, with claws in place of fingers, and leathered skin covered in warts. There are as many variations as there are individuals, but there is one thing we all have in common.

They call us monsters.

For centuries our presence among common man had been a well-guarded secret, and to most we were little more than faded legends, told of in cautionary tales to keep children on their best behavior. They feared us, but because they lacked faith in our existence, we were safe. Or at least, that was what we kept telling ourselves. In truth, as the society around us continued to progress and became more technologically advanced, it was only a matter of time before we would eventually be discovered.

Some of us weren't willing to stand idly by and wait for it to happen. They wanted to act; to rise up against our oppressors and defend our right to exist. And so 17 years ago, in the midst of the annual Wintertide celebrations, they struck. Hundreds of lives were lost in the attack, their screams of terror still fresh in my mind as I think back on the event of that day. Blood streaking the snow covered ground, the heat of fire, and the air thick with smoke as my kinsmen wreaked havoc upon their unknowing adversaries.

And yet for all the damage they caused, in the end, humankind still emerged victorious. What they lacked in raw power, they more than made up for in craftiness and numbers. It wasn't long before they turned the table on us -- all of us, regardless of whether we had played a part in the attack or not.

Indeed, from that day on, life for the children of the mist would never again be the same.

You know that crooked old lady walking past your window every day? Or the ugly little man rummaging through the garbage cans outside that one restaurant? Haven't you always felt that there was…something off about them? The way her heavy coat wraps around those strange bulges around her waist? Or how he always makes sure to keep his forehead and ears covered up? Well, as you've probably already figured out by now, they could very well be one of us. We prefer to call ourselves the children of the mist, but humans know us as monsters.

Because we are so widely shunned, much about our physiology remains unknown. However, it is widely accepted that we all have two states of being; domestic and feral. In our domestic form, we will appear as varying degrees of humanoid. Some of us so much that we are nearly (but never completely) indistinguishable from humans, while others can be easily identified. Nevertheless, every monster has a tell; something that marks them as different; a reminder of their true, feral forms. For some, it is oddly colored eyes or pointy ears. For others, patches of scales on their skin, an extra pair of arms or a forked tongue. These are just a couple of examples.

Every night when the sun sets and the mysterious mists come creeping across the land, our feral form takes over. Like with their domestic forms, what exactly we look like varies greatly between individuals. Some take the forms of hulking beasts; others are strangers yet, adopting the attributes of plants, fungi, or insects. A rare few even seem to have feral forms fashioned out of inorganic materials such as stone or metal, but those are not often seen.
Across the city of Gothendale, the monsters have divided themselves into four distinct factions. These are as follows:

Carnival

Born from a philosophy of hiding in plain sight, Carnival actually had its beginnings as a traveling circus and freak show. Under this pretext, they would tour the land, bringing joy and excitement to towns and villages while providing a home for monsters otherwise incapable of blending in with human society. When the faction eventually grew too large for the nomadic lifestyle to be viable, they set up camp on an abandoned amusement park outside the capital. Their objective has always been to create a climate that would allow monsters and humans to peacefully coexist, and they are the only faction that accepts humans into their midst.

After the Bloody Edensday attack, their choice of living so openly marked them as easy targets for the government as well as hate groups carrying anti-monster sentiments. Many of its members were killed, and more yet locked behind government-sanctioned bars. For a while, it truly looked like the faction was about to meet its end. The only reason they didn't was due to the legendary efforts of their leader at the time; Morgan Farrow.

It was under his guidance that a peace treaty between the government and Carnival was finally created, making them the only monster faction legally permitted to exist. As long as they fully cooperate with the government's demands, that is. In lieu of this, they are often looked down on by the other factions.

These days they no longer travel around, but reside at an amusement park at the outskirts of Gothendale.

The Aristocrats

The Aristocrats are one of the absolute oldest factions and has been around for centuries. Their members are notably difficult to identify, as the vast majority of them appear just human enough to blend in. Yet come midnight when the mist settles, and they turn into their true forms just like everyone else. Similarly to Carnival, they believe that a peaceful approach is the only way ahead, but unlike their more open and honest cousins, they aren't naive enough to actually trust mankind. Instead, they prefer a more subtle approach to bring about change, doing their best to blend in, while manipulating the course of history from the shadows.

As the name suggests, most of the Aristocrats members come from the upper echelons of society. This makes them the smallest, yet simultaneously the most influential faction of monsters. Because they're so very secretive not much is publically known about the faction and its members, and yet based on what little actually is known, they have still managed to garner a reputation of being classist, arrogant, and self-serving snobs among the other factions. They claim to have the best interest of monsters in mind but often fail to see the negative impact some of their actions may have on more marginalized members of the community.

They actually tend to look down on all the other factions, viewing The Rats as filthy savages, and Carnival as clowns. That said, their relationship to Carnival is the strongest, and it isn't unusual for monsters who stand out too much to be part of the Aristocrats, to transfer to Carnival. They are also known to have worked together on several occasions.

The Rats

Founded about sixteen years ago, the Rats are by far the youngest and most hostile of the factions. Born from centuries of accumulated frustration and an intense desire to see real change. Based in the sewers, they try to think of ways that will allow them to remove humans from power. Their objective is to take over, their method is fear and bloodshed. They are brutes who have lost far too many to even consider a more peaceful approach, and will always argue for starting a war against humans.

It was the Rats that perpetrated the attack on Bloody Friday, forever changing the course of history for monsters and humans alike. In consequence, the government began to chase down any monsters that were even so much as suspected of supporting the movement, nearly succeeding in shutting it down upon capturing their leader and founder. These days the Rats are but a shadow of their former self, small and scattered, but certainly still there. Needless to say, they've been causing more than just a little trouble for the MIB throughout the years. Except for in recent months, during which they have been suspiciously quiet. So much so that the government has reason to believe they might be planning something…

The Rats despise the Aristocrats for their obvious hypocrisy and look upon Carnival with pity, viewing them both as victims of their circumstances, and as painfully naive for trying so hard to get along with their oppressors.

They have their base of operations in the sewers under the city.

The Watchers

If the Aristocrats are secretive and therefore largely unknown even to the vast majority of even monsters, The Watchers could be considered straight-up mythological. Legend has it that an ancient group of monsters supposedly built a city underground, creating a secret haven for their brethren. If that sounds a bit farfetched, it's probably because it is. No one in recent memory has actually seen the city, and although many have set out to look for it, they either came back empty-handed -- or not at all.

Nevertheless, it is said that in the olden days, the Watchers would oversee the activities of their brethren on the surface and ensure that they didn't expose themselves to the humans. Monster parents would often scare their children into good behavior by telling stories of naughty monsters who were brought into the Watcher's court and punished for their actions.

Since most doubt the Watchers even exist, it is virtually impossible to tell what they think of the other factions, let alone humans. In the stories, they're often described as mysterious peacekeepers, with eyes and ears in every corner of the realm. They will interfere when and where they see fit, but never in ways that could risk exposing them to the world. They are truly an enigma
The Monster Investigation Beuraeu was founded 17 years ago, in response to the Bloody Edensday attack. Their primary objective is to identify, monitor and apprehend monsters. MIB bases are scattered all across the country, but their headquarters are located in the capital, Gothendale.

Although it is in their interest to detain rather than kill, they will not hesitate to neutralize a potential threat if they believe it to be more trouble than it's worth. Only a select few where the monsters are taken after capture, but there are plenty of rumors floating around the staff. Nebulous mentions of a place called 'the facility' and experimentation are not uncommon.

Interested? Awesome! Before you decide to jump on the bandwagon however, here are a couple of things I would like you to know!
  • This is going to be a semi-literate to literate role play.
  • This will not be a sandbox. The role play will be fashioned after a chapter-based structure, and have a set finish line that I slowly but surely will be herding you towards. However, that does not mean you will have no influence over what happens. What story beats we hit and how I design the overarching plot will largely depend on the characters you create, and what you want to do with them. So please don't be afraid of telling me your thoughts and ideas! As GM, it is my job to make them happen.
  • The general posting requirement will be once every two weeks, although there will be opportunities for you to have your characters opt out of a chapter. Just please make sure to tell me in advance, so that I can plan for it!
  • The Role Play will be set in a fictional world that in some way resembles our own, but really isn't the same. In other words, certain things that have a distinct connection to specific real world cultures may not exist (Anime & Manga for example, or brands like Starbucks and Apple), and some may have equivalents in this world, but they exist under a different name.
  • The general aesthetic I'm going for is a healthy blend of art deco and dieselpunk, with some gothic undercurrents. The world looks and feels old-fashioned, but since this is also science fiction, certain aspects -- especially in terms of technology -- will be more advanced. Think 1930s Europe with sci-fi, fantasy and horror elements.
  • However, the internet and social media do not exist to the extent it does in our world, making radio and broadsheets the primary source of news and information. I just want to throw that out there before people have their characters take out their phones and start texting one another.
  • I want each of your main characters to have an arc, which means that I would appreciate it if you gave me something to work with. An unsolved mystery from their past, or a general direction in which you would like to take them. Remember that for any role play to be successful, communication is key! Don't hesitate PMing me if you need help brainstorming character ideas.
  • Since this will be a relatively sprawling role play with a large cast spread thin over various factions, I will make it a requirement that each character has some kind of pre-established link to at least one other player's character. It can be a shared past, familial bonds or plans for the future. The sky's the limit, but there has to be something connecting them to the rest of the story and cast. Preferably also to someone outside their own faction.
  • The Watcher faction will not be available at the start of the role play.
  • Monster Investigators will be available but to a limited capacity. Currently, I'm thinking two, but this is subject to change.
  • Multiple characters will be allowed, but please be responsible about it. Don't bite off more than you can chew!
  • I'll want there to be least two characters in each available faction, plus the two investigators before we start.

Last edited:
Hello there,
I absolutely love the idea of the world and setting. It sounds incredibly interesting and I would be more than happy to join in on this project!

Reactions: Gladis
Hello there,
I absolutely love the idea of the world and setting. It sounds incredibly interesting and I would be more than happy to join in on this project!
Hi there! How wonderful, I'm happy to hear it! 😊

Do you have any thoughts yet in regards to which faction you'd like to make a character for?

You know I'm here for it!

• According to Plan
Hello there,

Do you have any thoughts yet in regards to which faction you'd like to make a character for?
I believe I might have an interesting idea for a Rat. Though, I don't know what kind of characters you would like to have around for this and whether or not they would fit. So, at best I have a concept.

You know I'm here for it!
Sure do ❤️

Hello there,

I believe I might have an interesting idea for a Rat. Though, I don't know what kind of characters you would like to have around for this and whether or not they would fit. So, at best I have a concept.

I'm not really picky about the kinds of characters you create, as long as they fit with the setting and you have some kind of idea of what you want to do with them story-wise. My only issue right now is that... everyone wants to make rats. XD We've got at least 4 (counting yours) potential rat characters (and I mean, I get it, terrorists are fun to play), whereas carnival and the aristocrats only have one potential member each. It doesn't bode very well for character interaction amongst the latter two factions. ^^'

That said, I would still very much like to hear your idea. PM me, and perhaps we can work something out!

Last edited:
Count me in as an enthusiastic yes! I am interested. My Aristocrat, Laurel's been waiting in the wings for the better part of a year. I'd like to make as many preexisting connections as possible considering his role in the 'community' . I'm open to plotting.

Interested. Would love to do a basilisk-type character.

Interested, but will have to think about character ideas.

This seems really interesting! Quick question: do you allow child characters (and, for that matter, Bluestar Writers)?

Count me in as an enthusiastic yes! I am interested. My Aristocrat, Laurel's been waiting in the wings for the better part of a year. I'd like to make as many preexisting connections as possible considering his role in the 'community' . I'm open to plotting.
Wonderful, I'm excited to finally see coming to life! 😊

Interested. Would love to do a basilisk-type character.
Hi there! I'm glad to hear that you're interested!

When you say that you would like to make a basilisk type character, so you mean in terms of abilities or appearance?

Interested, but will have to think about character ideas.
I'm glad to hear it! Feel free to message me if you want help brain storming character ideas. ^^

This seems really interesting! Quick question: do you allow child characters (and, for that matter, Bluestar Writers)?
Awesome!

Yes, I'll be allowing child characters as well as blue star writers, so you're more than welcome to join~

Did you have anything specific in mind for your character?

Yes, I'll be allowing child characters as well as blue star writers, so you're more than welcome to join~

Did you have anything specific in mind for your character?
Cool! Thank you for the opportunity!

I have a simple description of my idea and a more detailed one.

My simpler version is that my character is a kid that's part of Carnival that ended up doing some serious harm to a human at some point due to being unable to control their strength or abilities (depending on what "monster" I think they'd fit) in their feral form. Lots of self-questioning and intense guilt go on in their head.

My more detailed one is here:

I was thinking something along the lines of a kid that was affiliated with Carnival who ended up accidentally killing or severely injuring one of the humans that used to work with them; the kid tries to suppress or even try to erase their feral side (which I have a few ideas for, ranging from classic werewolf to Gelert to Ammit the Devourer or some strange mix of all three), believing themself to be innately evil, with part of their arc coming to terms with the fact that they aren't.

Also, I'll totally join the Discord server :D

In case anyone missed it, here's the signup!

Oh, this looks really cool! Count me as interested. ^^
Are there any investigator spots left?

I'd love to play an investigator in this if it's still open!

I'd like to play a carnival character I think. A stone skin girl. Buti admit finding myself a little intimidated based on the cs already in heh

Ooh Count me in! I've got a native American Thunderbird character from an old RP that died I can repurpose!

Ooo I'm VERY interested!

• Love
Reactions: MiharuAya
Highly interested in this! I would love to join if y'all are still accepting 😍

• Love
Reactions: MiharuAya