Loving Beyond Boundaries

Julius straightened up, a slow sigh slipped from his lips as his brow narrowed. He had always had a difficult time with drawing lines between slave and Roman. He understood his place and often respected it for the sake of social status, but in private, Julius treated humans as if they were humans. He had an old childhood friend to thank for that. If it had not been for that little slave boy turned playmate he would have probably developed the same attitude that most of Rome had in regards to slaves.

"Calliope," he started as he raised his hand, "You aided me in my moment of weakness. I only seek to settle that debt with an equal payment," he paused as he stepped closer to her and placed his good hand on her arm reassuringly, "I assure you I will not punish you for asking you question."

Julius pulled his hand away and stepped back toward the bed, "Kindness is a virtue that is absent from the hearts and minds of many of the people of Rome. Some are kind because it is required of them while others are not kind because they believe that such a virtue is only rewarded to those of equal status and when it best suits them," he sat on the edge of his bed and tilted his head ever so slightly before he continued, "It is a dying ideal. As long as there is breath in my body, I'll fight for it's continued existence."

Julius' eyes traveled her fragile form lingering on the areas he assumed were the most painful, "Thank you for preparing this room. Thank you for preparing the bed."

Even though he had helped her, his gratitude was his way of reassuring her that he would not tell anyone of his hand in preparing the room. He would not see her suffer anymore if he could help it. He wouldn't tell a soul of his aid, "If there is nothing left for you to tend to here, I would like to rest. The events of the day wear heavy on me," he flashed her a weak smile before flinching as he attempted to unlatch his armor.
-----------
Marcus sighed heavily as he sank into the couch next to his wife his head resting supported by her lap. She wore a simple grin as she ran her hands through his mane, "The gods have blessed us, Marcus."

A content sigh exited his lips, "Yes, twice over it seems," he replied, "Not only do we have Bracchus patronage, but also Julius as a guest. The support of a renown general and a prominent Senator will aid us greatly on our elevation in status."

"There may be another avenue to explore, dear," she said causing Marcus to look up to her curiously, "It seems someone has their eye on Julius," Marcus followed his wife's gaze to Liviana, a small grin teased at the corners of his lips but before he could speak, his wife did, "Liviana, dear, would you check to see that our guest has settled in?" Marcus watched as his daughter startled from her dreaming. At the mere mention of Julius' name, a sparkle shone in the corner of her eye.

"Yes, Liviana, do as your mother asks," he urged her on. This could do them even better than just the words of two renown men if this relationship blossomed.

Calliope tensed as Julius stepped towards her. She drew in a quick breath, shutting her eyes tightly and bracing herself for the blow that was sure to come from her disrespect. Only, it never came. Julius instead reassured her once more and thanked her for her assistance. She opened her eyes, looking to him as though he were a character straight out of the fables she was told as a child. She was in awe of him. She had never met a Roman who would treat her as something other than expendable property. She blinked quickly and nodded, dismissing herself as quickly as possible from his presence and closing the door behind herself.

Once she was outside his room she let out a deep breath and moved as swiftly as her injuries allowed down the hall and as far as possible from the strange Roman soldier that, for some inexplicable reason, showed her kindness. She didn't want to risk the chance that he would change his mind and she didn't want to have any of her masters catch her lingering by the bedroom of their honored guest. Callie went back to the infirmary to get some herbs for her pain and to visit Alba.
-----------------
Liviana sat with her parents in the main living room. The young girl was lost in her thoughts, day dreaming of the handsome soldier that had caught her eye. She played absentmindedly with her long blonde hair, twisting the ends with her fingers without truly realizing her actions, staring out blankly. Her parents were resting leisurely, speaking something to each other that Liviana did not hear until her mother drew her attention. Her mother's voice startled her some but at the mention of Julius' name, the corners of her eyes lifted upwards in a sort of smile.

She looked to her father for affirmation and as he urged her forward, Liviana quickly rose from her seat and proceeded towards Julius' bedroom. Once outside his door, she smoothed out her dress quickly, passed her hands through her hair, combing out any knots with his finger tips then patted her cheeks to bring them color. She pulled her dress down slight to better accentuate her cleavage and finally knocked on the door.

Liviana smiled warmly as Julius answered the door. Clearing her throat she said, "I just came to see if you are all settled in. Did you find everything to your liking?" Of course Liviana was not aware of Calliope's incident with Julius for if she was, Calliope would surely have suffered new injuries and punishment. "Are you hungry? I can ask the slaves to prepare you something and perhaps we could eat it together on the deck that overlooks the city? Calliope, the slave that helped bandage your arm, makes an excellent chicken stew."

Julius had just laid down when there was a knock on the door. He sighed slightly before throwing his legs off the side of the bed and rising slowly. He was sore now in places where he had not been struck. Must have been from using them for the first time in actual combat. His hand wrapped around the knob and when he pulled the door open he was surprised, but pleased, with who was on the other side.

"Lady Liviana," he greeted her, "Your home is astonishing. Your father has made quite the name for himself and from what I hear, seeks an even bigger name. You are one of the fortunate daughters of Rome indeed," glancing back at the bed, he decided against rest. How many times would Liviana come to his chambers to seek his company? She was a beautiful woman and the daughter of a well respect Roman. She was everything every man wanted in a woman, "It would be rude of me to deny my hostess. Besides, why would I rob myself of an opportunity to be in the same room as you for longer than a tour?"

Julius stepped from around the door and pulled it closed behind him, "Forgive me, but I am still new to the layout of your home. I will follow you," he smiled.
------
"How long should we wait before we send word of Julius' relationship with Liviana?" Marcus spoke to his wife in their moment of solitude.

She giggled, "Do not rush things, dear. Let Liviana work her way into the man's heart and then we will send word to his father. Love is not something that can be forced and hurried."

Liviana's cheeks flushed a pale pink at Julius' compliment and she smiled softly towards him. Nodding her head, she began to walk side by side with him as they went down the hall and towards the balcony area. Along the way, Liviana stopped one of the slaves, being careful to be exceptionally kind to further impress Julius, "Please find Calliope and have her prepare a special dinner for our guest of honor. We will be waiting on the balcony." The slave was a bit taken a back by Lady Liviana's kindness towards him. The woman was usually very crass towards the slaves. He shrugged his shoulders as his mistress continued walking with the soldier and set out to find Calliope.

Calliope had tightened her bandages and ate a few herbs to help numb the pain. She was sitting beside Alba, telling her friend about the soldier and the kindness he demonstrated. Alba and Calliope were very close, Callie having adopted her like a younger sister. Being unable to protect her own made Callie feel incredibly guilty but it was completely out of her control. She was telling Alba about the bed incident when she heard the door to the infirmary open. Callie stopped speaking abruptly and turned quickly towards the noise, drawing forth a hiss from her lips as her ribs shot a sharp pain through her.

Despite the pain she smiled towards the other slave. He informed her that Lady Liviana needed dinner prepared for herself and Julius. At the mention of his name, Callie quickly stood. She needed to tend to him or risk him changing his mind about his favor towards her. She informed the other slave to continue to look after Alba for her and she would relieve him when she returned from dinner. Calliope moved as quickly as her wounds allowed and straight towards the kitchens.

Liviana looked out at the city from the balcony, both hands holding the railing as she took in the beauty before her, hoping that Julius enjoyed the same. She stood close to him, standing but a mere few inches from him, occasionally looking up at him and into his eyes, blushing and smiling as his gaze locked on hers. She really liked him and he liked her and to top it all off, he was the son of a Senator. Things couldn't go more perfectly.

As they enjoyed the view before them, the slaves brought out a small table and two chairs so Liviana and Julius could enjoy dinner. A short time later dinner was brought forth, Calliope bringing the pot herself to ensure everything went well. A couple of other slaves set out the good silverware as Calliope filled the bowls with the stew her mistress Liviana requested. "Mistress. Dinner is served," Calliope said as she gestured towards the perfectly set table. Liviana smiled wide, "Shall we?" she said to Julius as she led the way towards the dinner table.

"Julius. You must tell me the story behind joining the army. I'm curious to here all about it," Liviana said, striking conversation. She tasted Calliope's soup and, as always, enjoyed it. Calliope was an excellent cook.

Callie stood close by to ensure the dinner went perfectly. Wine was brought as well and one of the slaves made sure to keep the glasses full. "Please, do tell me the story. I was just...aahhh." The sudden shriek sent chills down Calliope's spine. The slave pouring the wine, tripped on his way to fill Liviana's glass, pouring the red liquid over the girls satin dress. Liviana backed her seat up quickly, standing to her feet as the wine soaked through her clothing, ruining her ensemble. Calliope moved swiftly, grabbing a rag towel and drying the area as quickly as she good. "Mistress. Are you alright?"

"You insolen-" Liviana began to say but stopped herself, realizing Julius was staring right at her. She was furious and having Calliope trying to dry everything up didn't help. She wanted to slap her for allowing such a thing to happen when she was attempting to impress such an important guest. But she didn't want to show that side of herself to Julius. "Calliope, please clean this up as soon as possible. I will go change. Julius, my apologies for this evening. Please excuse me."

As she began to walk away, her eyes locked on Calliope's and they told her everything she needed to know. She would pay for this later. As if she hadn't paid enough already for the mistakes of others. Liviana walked back into the house quickly as Callie turned her attentions back to the table. "Please forgive me," she said softly to Julius as she soaked up the wine with the rag towel she held. Calliope was usually very strong, not allowing anything to get to her. But the fear that mistress Liviana would tell her master of another accident gripped at her heart. It took everything not to allow the tears to well up in her eyes. "I can have dinner brought to your room if you prefer."

The evening was going smoothly. Liviana's company was as enrapturing as he had anticipated. The way her dressed flowed with the sway of her hips, that sparkle in her eyes every time she turned to speak with him, the soft curl of her lips as they parted in a playful smile and allowed precious laughter to escape them, the night could not have gone any better. Even Calliope's meal was such a perfect addition to the evening. Everything was going as he assumed Liviana planned. At least they were. A misstep tossed perfectly good wine over Liviana's gown and with frustration and anger not seen since he left home, she stood to her feet. Julius watched the situation unfold silently as he took note of everyone's reactions. Liviana hid her frustration well but each glare tossed at Calliope did not go unnoticed by him.

When she was gone, Calliope cleaned frantically trying to be sure everything was taken care of to earn some sort of reprieve from the wrath of her master, he guessed. When she offered to take his dinner to his room he shook his head, "And miss such a lovely view?" he told her as he gestured toward the city below the balcony. Though his breath caught ever so slightly as Calliope stood up and the falling sun haloed her. He cleared his throat, "No, I'll finish my meal here. If Liviana wishes to stay in my company, she can be informed of where I am. Though one mistake be made, I'll not let it ruin my evening nor will I put the blame where it does not belong," Julius made sure that the last point made it into Calliope's ears.

He had never been one to understand why Romans treated others as they did. He understood the idea of positions and respected them but those under you only did so based on loyalty or fear. He was not one who was willing to rule over anyone with fear. He wanted loyalty. His eyes turned to Calliope as she worked unintentionally. He wanted love. With those two things, he would rule his house and it would be the greatest of all house. The dreams of a man who thought differently than most people in his culture.

"Calliope," he asked as she returned to clean up more, "How long have you been serving the Governor and his family?"

Calliope fully expected Julius to be angry as well. She was well aware that Lady Liviana and he had an interest in one another. She was certain he would be displeased by this but he wasn't. His reaction surprised her yet again. She even stopped cleaning for a moment to stare at him. He was a true enigma. He was Roman but certainly did not act like one. Her eyes locked briefly with his and for that brief moment she felt like she could lose herself in them but when Julius cleared his throat, Calliope did the same, returning her gaze back to the table to clean up the mess.

He drew her attention back to him however as he called her name. Why was he asking her this question? Why did he care about anything that had to do with her? Shouldn't he be asking about Liviana? The man was truly different. As she wrung out the towel in her hand she answered, "Since I was five years old. Twenty years now. Master Marcus purchased my parents from our previous master. He was very interested in my parents and saw a great deal of potential in me, being as young as I was. I was born into slavery and learned the ways of my master's home quickly. I know what each person likes and what they do not. I don't usually make mistakes... I only have to pay when they are made by others."

It was an occupational hazard. Being the favored slave also meant that much was required of her. She shrugged her shoulders lightly and continued to wipe away the wine. It was her way of life. It was the way of slavery. She couldn't helped being curious about Julius however. If he wished to know about her than perhaps he could also speak of himself. "How long have you been a soldier?" she asked curiously as she finished cleaning up the wine, tossing the towel into a bucket and wiping her hands on the bottom of her apron. "Do you enjoy it?"

A sigh escaped his lips as Julius leaned back. His hands folded together in his lap and only pulled a small wince when he had forgotten about his injury. It was only fair that she would ask about him. He had been quite inquisitive about her. He nodded and began his tale, "I didn't want this," he gestured to everything around him, "My father is a Senator and all of this looked to be in my future. I wanted to make a difference for Rome outside of walls and words. Diplomacy can only take you so far and then action carries you the rest of the way," Julius opened his injured hand and ran a finger lightly over the bandage that ran along his arm, "I wanted to get out from under his shadow. Do not misunderstand me. My father is a great man and has done many good things, but everyone predestinated my future beside him."

Leaning forward, he rested his arms on the table. His eyes turned to Calliope. She had an idea of how he felt maybe. She had been a slave all her life, not because she was sold, stolen away, or volunteered. She was born into it just as he had been born into politics. It was unfair really, "I'm a little over a year in service. I was on my way to my first post outside of the great city. I had hoped to further expand the boundaries of Rome and to make a name for myself. Instead, I get surrounded by everything I tried to get away from once again."

His eyes scanned the balcony and then back over the city, "What can you tell me of your masters? Is the Governor a good man? What of his wife? What about his daughters? Is there a man in Liviana's life?"

Julius' cheeks dusted a slight shade of pink. That was his true inquiry but did not want it to come out directly. Though he was truly curious about the rest of the family, only Liviana had struck his fancy. He would do whatever it took to win her heart even if that meant inquiring of their slave for the tiniest clues as to how to go about his task.

Calliope's eyes widened as Julius opened up about his past. Although she understood the concept of not being able to help to what class you were born to, she did not understand why he would chose to descend a class after being born at the top. It made no sense. Nothing about Julius seemed to make any sense. Here was the son of a Senator turned soldier who was being kind and having a conversation with a slave girl as if they were old friends. "You are truly an enigma Julius. You truly are."

She gave him a coy smile and proceeded to gathering the remains of lady Liviana's meal. She carefully placed the plates one above the other with ease as Julius began to speak again. She couldn't help the chuckle brought forth from her lips as he began to ask questions. Calliope wasn't blind or oblivious. She was well aware that Julius and Liviana were interested in one another. "Do you really wish to know about the governor or shall I skip straight to the question you really want answered?" She shook her head lightly as she straightened up, plates in her hands.

She smiled at Julius again, really looking into his eyes now. There was something about this gaze. Calliope quickly lowered her own eyes, clearing her throat and answering his questions. "My masters are good masters. They treat their guests well and ensure all is taken care of for them." They weren't the kindest to their slaves but they were Roman and that was simply the way Romans always treated their slaves. "Lady Liviana and Aelia are very sweet and kind." To those of their own status of course. Never to the slaves. "AND...neither girl has any current love interest that I am aware of.."

She gave Julius a half smile and a quick wink. Dismissing herself, she took the plates and the rag cloths and proceeded to the kitchens, leaving Julius on the balcony. As she washed the dishes and finished cleaning up, one of the slaves called Calliope, telling her lady Liviana was looking for her. Calliope quickly went over to her mistress but as soon as she was directly before her, Liviana slapped Calliope hard across the cheek. "You're lucky I don't wish to draw attention to this for Julius' sake. If my father knew of this....consider yourself warned." Liviana spat at her. Calliope simply lowered her eyes, holding her bright red cheek, acknowledging her mistress' words.

Liviana turned on her heal and proceeded down the hall. Calliope returned to the kitchens. All the slaves stood silent. None dared say anything to her. There was nothing they could do anyway. Later that night, when all had gone to bed, Callie stepped out behind the kitchens. Leaning against the wooden posts, she lowered herself to the ground and finally cried. Finally let out everything she had been holding in. She was always the strong one but she didn't know how much longer she could take this. It was only a matter of time until she was replaced and what would happen to her then?

The rest of that day was filled with thought for Julius. He took in everything he and Calliope had spoken of and considered all of it. The slave, though not shown much value, was indeed far more valuable to the family than they led on. She was organized, full of information, respectful, beautiful...and still a slave. Such a thought broke his heart but he knew there would be no changing that. Calliope would finish her life out in servitude or until she was no longer useful. Only then would she be transferred to a job that would most likely end in her demise. Most slaves were treated that way.

Liviana, though, she was different. She wasn't a slave. She wasn't someone that people would look down on him socializing with. She was beautiful, smart, had a sense of humor and seemed to enjoy many of the things that he did. Julius was unsure that he would be able to find a more perfect woman than she. Thoughts of her made his heart flutter.

The next few days were spent basically recovering. He was taken well care of as servants came in and out to change his bandages and to ensure that he was in good condition. He spent time with the governor as the man unashamedly asked about his family and the political scene in the Senate. Julius told him everything he could, not because it benefited the Governor, but to be in the good graces of the governor meant that Liviana would be more of a viable option. Things were going so well that Julius and Liviana were blessed with an opportunity to be together once again during a banquet her father was throwing in honor of Julius for saving his life. It would be in two weeks time in order to give messengers time to pass out the invitations and for inventory to be bulked in order to support the influx of people.

"Calliope," called Lydia called out, "Would you come here a moment?"

The mistress of the house spun in a loose fitting gown not yet fastened in case she didn't like the way it looked. Holding her arm across her chest to keep it from falling and her other arm pushing the gown down, she turned to her trusted servant as she entered the room, "How does it look?" Lydia asked, "Honestly," she reinforced, "Marcus will have many guests here in just two weeks and I want to ensure that I am wearing exactly what would flatter him and make the other men jealous."

The praise of men always laid on Lydia's heart and mind. It was surprising she had never had an affair for she was one of the most faithful women in all the land. She was also the most coveted. An opportunity to steal a glance or even a touch from Lydia was a wish for many a young man seeking grandeur but most were more fearful of the repercussions of soliciting the Governor's wife even if she did agree. Lydia knew this and it always spurred her on to try all the more. It rubbed off on her daughters. She saw this more in Liviana as she continued to try and win a heart that already belong to her. Julius was all but wrapped around her daughter's finger. This would be a good thing eventually.

The thought spurred an idea in her mind and she smiled in the vanity she stood before, "Calliope, after you appraised me, tell Liviana to retrieve Julius. I wish that the two of them go to the market and ensure that our order of wine be on time. You should accompany them to ensure that they don't get lost on their way."

Over the next few days it was business as usual at the Governor's mansion. In the morning Calliope would redress her rib cage and wind it up tightly. She also ensured to check on Alba every day before proceeding to her regular duties. Alba was starting to recover from her beating, although very slowly. Callie did her best to encourage her friend and give her some inkling of hope even though she wasn't sure what the master would do with her if she didn't show signs that she was able to get back to work. Secretly, Calliope hoped her masters were too entertained with Julius to even remember poor Alba. If Calliope would just be given the time, then she was sure she could get Alba back on her feet. Time, she just needed time.

Calliope made sure to avoid Julius at all costs. She sent other slaves to tend to his wounds. She was so unsure of him. He was different than other Romans. He was kind and sweet to her but for how long would that last? How long before he settled and became the Senator's son again and treated slaves as property? Experience had taught Calliope that Romans never treated slaves as equals. Slaves were lesser in all aspects and Calliope had been born into slavery and would die a slave unless the gods somehow intervened. It was best if she minimized the amount of time spent near him.

Calliope was walking down the halls ensuring everything was in its proper order, as the Governor's banquet was coming soon, when she heard mistress Lydia calling for her. Callie quickly went to the room of her mistress, "Yes mistress Lydia?" she said, bowing before the woman. She looked up and examined lady Lydia's dress and how it fit her. Calliope smiled at her. "You look stunning as always mistress Lydia." She further examined the dress, walking around her mistress. She pulled some of the fabric back around her waist and showed her mistress how it looked in the mirror. "We can take it in a little right here. I'm sure all eyes will be glued to you then."

Calliope grabbed a few pins off mistress Lydia's vanity and began to set them exactly where the dress needed to be taken in. As she started to place the pins in the dress, her mistress addressed her. Callie's heart sank again but she didn't let it show. She was trying to avoid Julius and now she had to accompany both Julius and Liviana to the market?! It was just a recipe for disaster or perhaps not. Calliope usually never made mistakes, she always found herself paying for the mistakes of others. If it was just her...then perhaps this small trip wouldn't be so terrible. Callie nodded to mistress Lydia and finished pinning the dress.

When everything was done, Callie took Lydia's dress with her and exited the room. She handed the dress to one of the slaves that was quite the skilled seamstress and told her to work on it as soon as possible. The dress was a priority. Callie wanted to ensure it looked perfect and if Lady Lydia did not agree, they could still have time to make adjustments before the banquet. Callie proceeded towards Liviana and Aelia's bedroom, knocking softly as the girl's answered the door together. The twins lit up at the news that Liviana was to go with Julius to the market. The girls shared some secret glance and were all giggles and smiles. Callie pretended to smile, taking a step back so lady Liviana could exit her bedroom. All Callie really wanted to do was roll her eyes but she knew better than to do such a thing in front of her masters.

Callie followed Liviana towards Julius' room when the girl turned to face her. "Calliope, how do I look?"
"Stunning as usually my lady Liviana," Calliope answered with a small smile.
"Good. And Calliope...remember what I told you a few days ago. Do not ruin this day for me in any way. Do you understand?" Liviana's look was stern and there was a tint of a threat in her words. A slap would be the least of Calliope's worries if something went wrong today.
Callie lowered her eyes, "Of course mistress. As you wish."

Liviana nodded, lowered her dress slightly off her shoulders, patted her cheeks to make them rosey and knocked on Julius' door.

His breathing labored, beads of sweat formed and ran down his face and dropped from his chin to his bare chest, his muscles screamed in painful pleasure; it was the same every day as he laid on his back on the floor, his legs bent and his hands behind his head. His core ached as he did yet another sit up. He had been restricted to the Governor's house but it didn't mean he should reject his physical form. Everyday was the same routine for him while he recovered. What he couldn't do as far as duty was concerned, he did behind closed doors in the form of one handed push ups, sit ups and whatever other exercise he could carry out in order to ensure that he did not lose strength. He was a Roman soldier, after all, and he would look like one despite his injury.

A knock on the door caused him to stop as he reached his knees once again. A sigh escaped his lips as he fell back on his hands. Taking a moment to catch his breath, he swept up a small towel and quickly wiped the beads from his face. Grunting, he rose to his feet and started toward the door. Tossing the towel aside, he opened the door expecting to find the help. Instead, he was greeted by Liviana. Immediately, his cheeks heated up but more surprising was the further increase of heat upon his eyes falling on Calliope.

"Liviana," he spoke with surprise as he stepped back and pulled the door open so the women could enter, "I was not expecting company. I was just-" his eyes shifted from Liviana to Calliope and then back, "Nevermind, for what reason are you here?" he asked as took a step toward Liviana and locked his orbs on hers. How he could get lost in those beautiful eyes for days, "Does the Governor need something?"

His eyes moved down her face, into the crook of her neck and over the bare shoulders that peeked from atop her dress. His thoughts were filled with her beauty until his eyes shifted the humble servant that accompanied her. Calliope was beautiful in more than just appearance. He saw it in how she treated the others and him. Of course, he had nothing to complain about in regards to Liviana. He had yet to see a negative attribute but there was something about Calliope. Clearing his throat, he turned his attention back to Liviana. Calliope was a slave and while he may have been lax in other areas regarding those lines, he had to keep from crossing that one. It would be betrayal toward Liviana and a dishonor toward the Governor.