Louisiana Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had hit upon a tender subject. Despite his inexperience with women, he knew he should let it be and thus, he was grateful for the coffee and the pastries arriving when they did. He smiled a bit at her enthusiasm. "It sounds delicious AND dangerous," he replied as he sniffed the air. "If they are truly as good as they smell, I fear I may never leave this place." He laughed softly. "I can picture it now. Men having to throw ropes around me to get me out of this chair and out the door."

It was a pleasant image and ridiculous, of course, but that was the intent. He was hoping to entertain her. Not only was it imperative to finding out about that voodoo practitioner's intentions but she was a lovely young woman and she deserved to have a laugh. He let out a long sigh. "Mm ... I have not had a cup of coffee in peace for so long." He picked up his cup and couldn't help but inhale the delicious liquid. He took a sip. "I do love it, simple and rich like this. No sugar, nothing added."

"I will have to be careful around the pastries now. I have quite the sweet tooth."

Ocèane did indeed laugh at his jest. He was, it seemed, not completely uptight. This was a good thing over all. She too took a sip of her coffee, enjoying the rich taste and the warmth of the beverage. "I do think that the shop owner would not mind so much as long as you kept paying. At least that is until closing time." She was enjoying herself.

It was curiosity, plain and simple. He was an outsider, and that was part of the interst. But also she just liked people, and so she asked questions. She asked about his new home, about what kind of property he had outside the city, what England was like, what traveling the ocean was like. The last question she seemed especially interested in and her enthusiasm was infectious.

It was not until far into their third cup of coffee she realized that she was monopolizing his time. "I am dreadfully sorry, you have business and I've been keeping you talking. I had promised to be your guide after all." She sat down her cup, her intention to do what she offered very must was a serious concern for her.

Hmm … That's right. There were things to do, business to take care of. And one relative's most prized material object to arrange shipped to England--Blasted thing that it was. It never did well to speak ill of the dead but he and his cousin, Lucinda, had never been friends. Something that certainly hadn't changed after her death according to Lucinda's husband, Edward.

"Yes." Which was quite a shame, really. He rose and paid for the coffee and the pastries, as well as making it a point to return here soon. But, there was also the issue of finding out more about this mysterious young woman. "Does your family often have dealings with the DuPonds?"

Thomas had mentioned the DuPonds once or twice but only in passing, often when he was boasting to a young woman about a bolt of silk or a fine golden chain. "This was shipped over by the DuPonds themselves in a special case and guarded by the captain of the ship. It was part of a package so revered that only three people have handled it from the day it set sail to this very moment …"

Ocèane nearly laughed. "If you are inquiring if I am in any way related to the DuPonds of Starlight Shipping, then I have either the privileged or the horror to tell you my grandfather is THE DuPond."

By this point they had exited the shop. She now had an idea of where Robert likely wanted to head, but she wouldn't make assumptions. That her grandfather was the head of the most prestigious shipping company in New Orleans was no small matter she knew. It was part of the reason her family was able to keep such good contact with France. It was also the reason she fantasized about the ocean she was sure. When your family's existence is dictated by the whims of the currents and the winds, how could you not!

A small voice in her head told her she was ignoring her heritage when she thought like that. After all no one in her mother's family showed the affinity she did to the elements. Not that she could ask her mother now about what was never spoken of.

Now though was not the time to ponder such worrisome things though. She was to be a guide, and she was enjoying doing just that. "So then Monsieur Blackwood, where shall I lead you to now?"

Robert was silent as Ocèane shared her family name with him and nodded once. It was something to keep in mind, of course. Business was about creating bridges with people, all kinds of people, and the strength of those bridges often determined how successful business was. The fact that his guide was DuPond's granddaughter was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. As they walked outside, he found that it wasn't as late as it had first seemed. Indeed, it felt like they'd been in there for hours upon hours and yet the sun had barely moved.

"Starlight Shipping, please. And thank you again for allowing me the chance to taste such pastries and coffee." He couldn't remember the last time someone had been able to keep him occupied to the point that he was almost reluctant to continue with his list of tasks today. He was a man who figured out what he had to do when he first arose and spent the entire day completing each and every task. Nothing on that list was too big or too small to take care of and there was no room to procrastinate. Besides, now that he remembered this was all because of Lucinda, that made it all the easier to want to get it over and done with.

"Of course," Ocèane said upon Robert's request of destination. "And I thank you for purchasing the coffee and pastries." Ocèane then went on to lead Robert to the wharfs. As they walked she would point out note worthy buildings and such along their way. Even an old grizzly looking fig tree that had no right being in the middle of town. She navigated more by landmarks then street signs anyways so it was much easier then telling Robert what streets they were on or passing.

Once they reached the water, Ocèane's already good mood seem to radiate. She had a slight skip to her step and she waved to the various work men they passed along the way, even the cranky looking mule driver who, despite his scowl did tip his hat to her. "And here we are," she finally told Robert as they reached an area with two ships at port and back on land several large buildings. "The white building up front from the warehouses is the office." She pointed to a building smaller the the rest near it. "Monsieur Carroll is likely there. He most likely is who you want to speak to. He's a tall skinny fellow with a brush like mustache."

"It was a pleasure," Robert replied. He took careful note of her mood and how it seemed to be rather contagious. In fact, there was nearly a moment when he caught himself almost smiling! The odds! He cleared his throat to regain his composure and nodded as she gave him further directions. "I understand. Thank you again." He looked up at the building they had come to. Yes, he should finish this business and let his family know what to expect. He could only imagine what they were thinking HE was up to. "I suppose this is where we say farewell--that is if Thomas doesn't run into you again."

Ocèane giggled. "I suppose it is. Good luck Monsieur Blackwood. I hope your day goes splendidly and perhaps I shall see you around again now that you have a town house here." She then gave him a curtsy before turning to leave. She resisted skipping off for all of three steps. This close to the wild waters of the ocean and having such a pleasant morning she couldn't help but be in the best of moods. She had not intended it, but she planned on staying near the water for the day, maybe once she got far enough from the work men she would take off her shoes and walk in the salt water. The thought just made her bubbly. She would be horribly useless for the rest of the day, but no one really expected anything of her.

As she continued walking away, the sea water in her every breath she wondered when she would see the stuffy Englishman again. He seemed very educated and he was as easy to talk to as he was easy on the eyes. What was she thinking! Oh troublesome thoughts of youth...

Robert stood under the pavilion, watching as his butler and his right hand man finished the last preparations for the tea party scheduled to begin shortly. It wasn't that he didn't trust them to carry out what he had in mind. He was a creature of habit and, as Thomas often liked to tease him, just a bit too ... fond of control. He was dressed in a simple dark suit today and although he often wore simple dark suits, this one he'd chosen because today's tea party was both nicety and prospective business transaction.

"That will be all," he finally said. The butler nodded and melted back into the house to oversee the tea and the food. However, he was well aware that Robert would be there shortly to do the same. "We have had this conversation before," he remarked to the lengthy silence between him and the man standing off to the side. "Rumors are merely rumors until proven as fact. I care not whether she is a woman with an iron fist or whether her help is more inclined to running off."

Amos nodded. "Yes, sir." Amos was one of Robert's most trusted men even if, by society standards, he was still a slave. Unlike most, he knew how to read and write and his wife and family still served on Robert's plantation. The master had respected his uncle's wishes in keeping the families together, never selling them off. He'd shared his gossip and his opinions about his guest with Lord Blackwood when the latter had asked a few weeks ago. Fortunately, Robert wasn't a man of short temper and thus, he'd done all he could to sway him from going through with this tea party. He might still be a slave but that woman ...! That woman was of a different kind entirely!

Status
Not open for further replies.